PDA

View Full Version : ION really worth it???

conradl
09-23-2006, 05:58 PM
This sounded like a common question, but I couldn't find an exact answer , so my question is, is the ION a good gun for a person who plays rec and very little woods ball. I have heard some really good things, and some really bad things, but I just want to know if the good out weigh the bad. Cuz I have a very good deal pending with an 06 ION.

Also is this a good second gun? I had an imagine but, I'm am thinking about getting a used ION.

Thanks for all your help and if this has all ready been posted please point me in the right direction

vwjimmy
09-23-2006, 06:00 PM
I think Ions are very worth what they are going for....
What kind of problems are you having with your Imagine??.....
An Ion or a Promaster are going to rquire at least as much maintence as a Spyder.....

pbfreak3221
09-23-2006, 06:09 PM
I personally love the ion, just because it is so easy to upgrade. That was my only reason on picking it over the promaster

DRAGON
09-23-2006, 06:33 PM
.........Also is this a good second gun? I have had an imagine and had nothing but truble so I'm am thinking about getting a used ION.........

Let me just interject this; if you cannot keep a simple blowback running good, the difficulties you will have keeping an ep running will likely double lol - ;)

TheRedBarron
09-23-2006, 06:39 PM
Let me just interject this; if you cannot keep a simple blowback running good, the difficulties you will have keeping an ep running will likely double lol - ;)
Troof, a EP requires more attention than a blowback that is for sure.

stylinbeaver
09-23-2006, 06:41 PM
I would get a ion. It may just be a lil upgrade from a spyder, but still it's a upgrade. I personally love the gun. Everything on the gun is upgradeable!!

conradl
09-23-2006, 06:48 PM
All right let me clear this up, it wasn't me that is the reason that my imagine was unreliable it was the imagine, I babied the hell out of that gun and it was still unreliable i cleaned and lubed after every shooting even tests, never let the Co2 stay hooked up for more than a day, never left it on when I wasn't using it. Also that is not the only reason why I am getting rid of it, I have also out grown my imagine a feel that I need a highER end gun to keep up with me (Not a high end gun, A HIGHER end gun) . My imagine is working now, but I still feel that it is unreliable and might break down on me at any moment. So please don't say that if I cant take care of a blow back I am not gonna be able to take care of an ION.

I see where your all coming from not wanting me to spend my money on something that I'm just gonna break, but I really think that my imagine was a lemon, and that I will be able to take care of an ION with eaz.

Thank you for all your posts and lets get back to the question now that it's all cleared up

DRAGON
09-23-2006, 07:01 PM
I didn't mean that in a completely derogatory manner. I just know that I have both STB's and EP's and find the STB's much easier to conceive function than EP's. There are only a few things that can go wrong with a STB that can be simply diagnosed and fixed. An EP marker has 2 - 3 times the parts not even including the adjustable electronics and the Ion even has an internal sprinkler system with hoses lol. I suppose if you have more concerns with it remains to be seen. You can even add more concerns since it is a used one that God know who's done what to it lol - ;)

conradl
09-23-2006, 07:08 PM
OH, I took it in a completely different way, thank you Dragon for clearing that up

Do you think that I shouldn't buy used, Do you think that it is risky and I should just buy new?

The seller is Angel69 just to let you know, also has any one ever done business with this guy?

DRAGON
09-23-2006, 07:20 PM
It may just be a pet peave of mine but I doubt I'd even purchase a used marker from anyone unless I knew them personally and they were as meticulous as I am about keeping a marker clean and working properly. To just buy from anyone is a no-no IMO. Another thing is to buy a marker that you'll never get to try out before you send your cash. Not to say everybody's shady on net deals but I've seen my share of them. I bought an AA back from a seemingly upstanding member of the past here. Once I got it there was a ding like someone had dropped it on the breech end of the barrel back. I never saw that guy on these forums since. I fixed the ding but it was still the fact that he said there was absolutely nothing wrong with it that pissed me off a little. If you buy an Ion, I say get it from a local shop. Most of them warranty it so if anything goes wrong, you can take it back to them and let them fix it for you free -

conradl
09-23-2006, 07:24 PM
Yea that is very true, But I have a very good deal and it's hard to turn down, plus I strapped for cash, so now after what you said I don't know what to do.

Can any one give me advice?

Thanks for all the input you have gave me

Canadianpballer
09-23-2006, 09:58 PM
I have an ION and i personally, LOVE IT. It is a great gun, and it is a HUGE upgrade from a spyder. It shoots 17, YES 17, BPS with the stock board. You should definately get this gun.

Hossy
09-23-2006, 10:06 PM
ummm it doesnt matter how fast it can shoot....

but it is a nice gun for the price...any promaster or ion will fit your needs
id go with an ion, cause there is more you can up...and if u do alot of upping, the guns are insane

conradl
09-23-2006, 11:52 PM
Thank you you just made me want to buy an ion even more, but do you think it is risky to buy it used from angel69 cuz I dont know how he took care of it or should I just go for it cuz it's a really great deal !!!

Paintball0308
09-24-2006, 06:08 AM
The only things I would get used are upgrade. I like to get my gun new so I have the warrenty.

DRAGON
09-24-2006, 10:00 AM
Thank you you just made me want to buy an ion even more, but do you think it is risky to buy it used from angel69 cuz I dont know how he took care of it or should I just go for it cuz it's a really great deal !!!

Ever hear of 3rd party? - ;)

SharpObjects
09-24-2006, 10:42 AM
I'd say wait to see the new Proto Rail. It's suppose to be an Ion competitor by Proto/Dye. I'm looking at getting one.

Or the Promaster, too.

claustrophobia9
09-24-2006, 11:02 AM
proto rail... :dodgy: link to anything about it?

SharpObjects
09-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Read about it on pbnation, along with the new PM7 and DM7, which seem to be nothing too special. It was either on the news section or dye section, probably both.

Edit - Found it here. http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1751631

pbfreak3221
09-24-2006, 11:26 AM
That thread had no real proof, but I could see them doing it

SharpObjects
09-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Meh, I believe it.

I hope they do come out with it. I don't really want another Spyder...as much as I love them.

claustrophobia9
09-24-2006, 01:59 PM
wow the people in the DM forums are incredibly dense....

conradl
09-24-2006, 02:02 PM
Ever hear of 3rd party? - ;)

Are you trying to tell me something """Caugh""" your offering to be a third pary??? """Caugh"""

DRAGON
09-24-2006, 02:15 PM
I don't do 3rd party but I beleive Dre and Otter might. It was just a 'safe' suggestion coming from me -

optionboarder81
09-24-2006, 02:39 PM
i went from an imagine to an ion, and it was one of the best choices of my life:)

conradl
09-24-2006, 05:36 PM
I don't do 3rd party but I beleive Dre and Otter might. It was just a 'safe' suggestion coming from me -

I know how the basic principles of third party work but do you have to pay them? and if you do how much does it usually cost?

DRAGON
09-24-2006, 05:49 PM
I have no idea, ask them -

bamf-hacker
09-25-2006, 04:46 AM
Well lets see is the Ion worth it........

Ask Lisa or Sara :)

Yes they are great guns.

Don't get me wrong, you MUST take care of them, but they will perform great as long as you are nice to them. Plus, really the only ups you "need" are a QEV, Feedneck and Barrel. You can get more (like me) but those will give you a great gun that performs well. You can add lots more, regs, boards, eyes, asa's, etc... But you don't need to.

and with a gun like an Ion I would say buy new (sorry Angel69) CPS has them for about 190.00. If you go that route you know the gun is in good order. My .02

adriann222
09-25-2006, 09:22 AM
Gotta throw in my 3 cents here...

Your proposed ION-
Good: Cheap, lots of parts out there, relatively fast, eyes, good feel.

Bad: Cheap (ask why is he giving you such a good deal), no known history, no chance to check it out first, unknown seller, I personally don't like them (that is only an opinion), not a fan of the interals (seem very cluttered, and I don't like internal hoses).

My first thought is that you should defineatly go through a third party. I would speak to Otter. His prices are on his website. www.ottersccustoms.com Personally I'm an ICD guy. Id take a B2K, Promaster, Freestyle, heck even a nice BKO over an Ion any day. Plus you can get them so cheap now adays it almost seems unfair to the poor guys selling them.

Finally I will second what Dragon has said. You need to know how to work on EP guns. They can be real testy guys. This is why alot of people sell them cheap because something goes wrong and they don't know how to fix it. That is why for the most part I stick with blow back style EP markers (Impules, B2K, Wraiths, ect...) because they are easy to understand. So my recomendation is:

Get the knowledge then get the gun.

conradl
09-25-2006, 06:18 PM
Sorry to bring this up again, but I'm in a pickle in what gun to buy, I was looking through pbreview and stubbled upon this, http://www.pbreview.com/products/reviews/2597/ its looks really good and got good reviews, but I dont know any thing about it, also do you think this is better than an ION

DRAGON
09-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Whether it is or not, they are out of circulation. If you're looking for something like that, a mod here named Vik had something like that for sale a while back and I'm not sure he sold it. Throw him a PM and ask -

conradl
09-25-2006, 07:18 PM
yea I saw one in the sales section, but I really want to know if it is any better than an ION, cuz it sure looks sweet, but I dont know any thing about it

Hob Hayward
09-25-2006, 07:46 PM
Look at the Diablo Wrath LTD in my opinion it looks awesome, and it has many of the things that need upping on the ion. (feedneck, reg) its the same operation as "The One" I'm thinking of buying one eventually. They go for 230$ brand new.

conradl
09-25-2006, 08:38 PM
I think I would rather get an ION over a wrath, I have heard better things about the ion and that it is more reliable

but thanks for the suggestion

nbishop66
09-26-2006, 02:57 AM
Well I'm among the many who have gone from a Spyder to an ION. This debate is like the Energizer Bunny, It keeps going and going and going.
My rational was simple....
1. Price for performance
2. Numerous Upgrades from mild to wild
3. Upgrades readily available
3. Knowledge base of owners and Airsmiths

vikingshadow
09-26-2006, 03:47 AM
Whether it is or not, they are out of circulation. If you're looking for something like that, a mod here named Vik had something like that for sale a while back and I'm not sure he sold it. Throw him a PM and ask -

Yup, I had a Dragun T1 (2 actually - sold them both), which is what the Odyssey was after Dragun went out of business. It was an awesome gun, after some upgrades. It's a great gun for making the jump from blowbacks to EP. Oh, and for those of you wondering, the Diablo Wrath is the SAME gun as well, just with different milling and a different solenoid (and a few other very minor details.) They all work exactly the same.

However, I'd have to give the nod to the Ion over these guns just based on performance, weight, ability and upgrades. I'm not an Ion fan, just never liked the feel of them, but Ion's are lower pressure, have less kick, just as fast if not faster, and much lighter - not to mention you can totally change the look of them on a whim.

conradl
09-30-2006, 06:50 AM
Sorry to bring the thread back to life, but I dont wwant to cluter the boards.

But he doesnt want to do a third party, and if i dont buy it soon then he is going to put it on ebay, so do you think that I shouldn't buy it from him??

bamf-hacker
09-30-2006, 05:32 PM
it is buyer beware my friend... If someone has great feedback it should be safe... If they have no feedback and don't want to third party then..... Be wary!