PDA

View Full Version : New Spyder OTM contest? Or not?

Ace24
09-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Should we have another SOTM Contest? I know I want to, just wondering who else out there wants to also.

(Hoping that if the mods see that there is enough people wanting to do another, Viking will set up another one)

marvin-martian
09-21-2006, 03:02 PM
its completly up to vike...

Ace24
09-21-2006, 03:11 PM
I know it is... but I was hoping that if he saw enough interest that he would start another one. I think it was the lack of interest in the past that made him question it.

vikingshadow
09-21-2006, 04:04 PM
Sorry - just been REALLY busy this month with school, meetings, committees, etc. It's also been my experience that the "of the month" contests work best when NOT every month, but if I wait a month or two.

I'll wait to see what happens here, and then if my schedule allows me enough time - I just rolled in from a meeting in OKC so I'm pretty beat right now.

Ace24
09-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Alright. Sounds good. But yeah I agree... not every month. I was just asking the possibility of it happening again.

vwjimmy
09-21-2006, 07:25 PM
As soon as enough time goes by for you guys to realize how great my markers were and how big a mistake you all made, I'm sure Vike will set us up so I can be vindicated! :)

claustrophobia9
09-22-2006, 03:20 AM
yes but no sticky because i never see it and i forget to post.

shunut
09-22-2006, 05:37 AM
Well, Vike, if you want help with it I'd be more than willing to help you out. Just let me know. Only problem I see is I have no Mod powers in those sections but I'm sure I can have someone else sticky or whatever I need done.

vikingshadow
09-22-2006, 11:54 AM
Problem with these polls is that even if 47 people vote, only 6 enter their guns. So in that sense, they aren't too accurate.

However, it's not an overwhelming vote so far - unless I see large numbers, I'm going to hold off until next month...

Hob Hayward
09-22-2006, 12:42 PM
I sent you pics of my non-spyder a while ago, but the polll never happened then, even though you were planningo n doing it then.

Paintball0308
09-22-2006, 01:06 PM
wait till october so I can enter my gun when its done.

vikingshadow
09-22-2006, 03:10 PM
I sent you pics of my non-spyder a while ago, but the polll never happened then, even though you were planningo n doing it then.

The contest must have fallen through, then. I won't waste my time (or every one else's) if there are less than 6 guns to show. If people don't show an interest, then so be it.

I also delete my pm's when the contest is over. So if you sent me one, it's gone. You'll have to send it again when the new one is up.

Sorry guys, but unless you've actually done a contest like this, you don't realize what a hassle it can be. I have it down pretty well now, but when I first started, man! It was tough - if I didn't get someone's name wrong, I got the wrong person's gun, or labeled the gun wrong, or put the wrong specs, then there were the infamous "This is so unfair pm's I kept getting, which led to the making of rules, so on and so forth....

So you have to understand, for me to do this, it's got to have A LOT of people interested in it.

vwjimmy
09-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Vike, I will help too (posting, sorting, formatting) if you need it....

Ace24
09-23-2006, 12:48 PM
I am in if and when we have another one. Hopefully in Oct though. I want to wait for my HPA tank to get here so that I can post a pic with it hooked up. (I've also got to buy an orange bolt... but my GF's b-day is in Oct... so the bolt is going to have to wait)

Hob Hayward
09-23-2006, 01:17 PM
How about when we send you the Pics, we format it properly so all you need to do is put all the pm's toghether in one big poll. That means gun specs too and whatever else might be included. If the person doesn't format it pm them back telling them to format it or they're not in the poll.

vikingshadow
09-23-2006, 01:51 PM
How about when we send you the Pics, we format it properly so all you need to do is put all the pm's toghether in one big poll. That means gun specs too and whatever else might be included. If the person doesn't format it pm them back telling them to format it or they're not in the poll.

LOL - that's ALWAYS been a rule!

All rules are posted in the thread that's stickied in the picture forums (or it might be the polls forums....can't really remember which.)

Hob Hayward
09-23-2006, 02:01 PM
Er.. yeah... How is it so hard then?

vikingshadow
09-23-2006, 04:52 PM
Wow - ever done an online forum contest before?

Here goes - first I have to set this thing up - I spend two weeks trying to get everyone to get their pictures in. I have to post in the Picture thread, the Poll thread and the Veteran thread, just to make sure EVERYONE sees it. In the meantime, everyone is *****ing about the rules that, by the way, were voted on and determined the best course of action. Then, once people FINALLY start sending their pictures in - usually the day before I post - 50-60 percent are usually sized incorrectly or aren't following the rules in some way. I might or might not get enough to actually have a contest, in which someone is going to get mad because A. they didn't know about it, B. they refused to size them correctly, or C. provide a valid link. So, I post them (or not, depending on the infraction) and wait for the week long arguing and such. Then I get to listen to all the *****ing about how they didn't know the contest was going on because people refuse to check the "NEW POSTS SINCE LAST VISIT" link at the top of the page.

Finally I can actually start the polls. By the way - it takes up to two - three HOURS to do all three polls sometimes, though that's an extreme. Usually, it averages about an hour - hour and a half. That's just getting the polls set up, which sometimes are done incorrectly, so I have to delete and start all over again. Plus, I have to hurry up and try to post quickly because some joker ALWAYS manages to jump in while I'm trying to split the pictures because of the 10 picture per post limit. Plus I have to try and be FAIR when putting the pictures in. Then I have to store all the pictures in my PM box WITH names so that I can remember who's picture is who's, which I usually mess up on anyways.

After I FINALLY get the threads started, I have about a dozen pm's to answer about why their guns weren't entered, and why did I say such and such and if they were running it, here's what they would do....yadda yadda ya. Finally, the polls start.

We wait a week while people are griping because the poll is either taking too long, no one is voting, or that it's just stupid. Oh, my favorite was the "Popularity" complaints I kept getting and that they weren't going to participate because I rigged it. Yeah, those were fun days! Anyway, after the poll is closed, I get to repost the winners in the OTM thread, and the general picture threads, and in the Veterans forum, because Heaven forbid someone not see them!

Then, Heaven forbid we have a tie, because then I go through all this again.

So, there you go. Not so easy, after all. I give up about 10 hours over 4 weeks just for this contest I started two years ago in November. It's not so easy, as anyone who's run a contest can tell you.

vwjimmy
09-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Wow - ever done an online forum contest before?

Here goes - first I have to set this thing up - I spend two weeks trying to get everyone to get their pictures in. I have to post in the Picture thread, the Poll thread and the Veteran thread, just to make sure EVERYONE sees it. In the meantime, everyone is *****ing about the rules that, by the way, were voted on and determined the best course of action. Then, once people FINALLY start sending their pictures in - usually the day before I post - 50-60 percent are usually sized incorrectly or aren't following the rules in some way. I might or might not get enough to actually have a contest, in which someone is going to get mad because A. they didn't know about it, B. they refused to size them correctly, or C. provide a valid link. So, I post them (or not, depending on the infraction) and wait for the week long arguing and such. Then I get to listen to all the *****ing about how they didn't know the contest was going on because people refuse to check the "NEW POSTS SINCE LAST VISIT" link at the top of the page.

Finally I can actually start the polls. By the way - it takes up to two - three HOURS to do all three polls sometimes, though that's an extreme. Usually, it averages about an hour - hour and a half. That's just getting the polls set up, which sometimes are done incorrectly, so I have to delete and start all over again. Plus, I have to hurry up and try to post quickly because some joker ALWAYS manages to jump in while I'm trying to split the pictures because of the 10 picture per post limit. Plus I have to try and be FAIR when putting the pictures in. Then I have to store all the pictures in my PM box WITH names so that I can remember who's picture is who's, which I usually mess up on anyways.

After I FINALLY get the threads started, I have about a dozen pm's to answer about why their guns weren't entered, and why did I say such and such and if they were running it, here's what they would do....yadda yadda ya. Finally, the polls start.

We wait a week while people are griping because the poll is either taking too long, no one is voting, or that it's just stupid. Oh, my favorite was the "Popularity" complaints I kept getting and that they weren't going to participate because I rigged it. Yeah, those were fun days! Anyway, after the poll is closed, I get to repost the winners in the OTM thread, and the general picture threads, and in the Veterans forum, because Heaven forbid someone not see them!

Then, Heaven forbid we have a tie, because then I go through all this again.

So, there you go. Not so easy, after all. I give up about 10 hours over 4 weeks just for this contest I started two years ago in November. It's not so easy, as anyone who's run a contest can tell you.
Thats why you are the man B....and why we appriciate your efforts!! :)

Hob Hayward
09-23-2006, 05:59 PM
I'll run it then if you don't want to.