PDA

View Full Version : drilling the grip frame for a on/off

Spinal
09-20-2006, 04:56 AM
hello there fellas, i wanna drill/tap the gripframe of my pilot (its the camd frame) so i can install a NDZ on/off, i dont really feel like buying an adapter (since the holes are offset ) because i probably have the stuff around somewhere i just gotta look for it lol. my question is what size of a drill/tap do i use?

thanks in advance:cool:

shunut
09-20-2006, 06:02 AM
10-32

Spinal
09-21-2006, 04:28 PM
i see...now im a little new to this so can you explain a little more? lol

tigerdave714
09-21-2006, 06:02 PM
You can go to any decent hardware store and buy a drill and tap set. It will come with a drill bit and a tap bit. Hold the rail up against the bottom of your trigger frame and mark where you need the holes. Then drill them using the appropriate sized bit (make sure to take out your electronics before you drill, so you don't screw anything up). It might be best to use a drill press if you can find one. Then use a tap and the appropriate tap bit to thread the holes. DO NOT use a drill for the tapping. Use a tap wrench (or whatever its called) so the bit can do the work rather than forcing it through.

Spinal
09-22-2006, 05:03 AM
ah i see, thanks so much!

shunut
09-22-2006, 05:34 AM
i see...now im a little new to this so can you explain a little more? lol

Sorry, from the sound your first post I thought all you needed what the tap/screw size. Pretty sure tigerdave covered it. Only thing I can add is go slow when tapping. If it starts to get too hard to turn back it out all the way clean the bit off and clear the hole of an debris, then start again. You won't mess anything up, the bit will follow its first threads.

druid
09-22-2006, 12:45 PM
Shu is correct but I have used this method with great success...

Think of the drilled hole as a Pizza pie with it's 8 slices. Turn the tap one slice and back it out. Turn it 2 slices and back it out. Turn it 3 slices and back it out. Continue until you are done. What this does is cut the thread in smaller tracts and when you back it out, allows the debris to fall through the tap's fluting easier. It also gives you less of an chance of stripping it out because you aren't cutting too much at a time.