PDA

View Full Version : Top cocking knob

timber86
09-15-2006, 11:48 AM
I have a pilot ace and i can't seem to get the top cocking knob #173 out. I need to take the bolt out but can't because that is in the way.

JMotioN
09-15-2006, 12:18 PM
lol i felt silly the first time i took it out
it pulls out, just pull and itl come out, just push it back in to get it in again.
anything else?

Sandman_Bravo
09-15-2006, 04:03 PM
We need a sticky on the cocking bolt/pin. It seems every few weeks there's a post on a new person who's "lost" their pin.

http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=3579 (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=3579)

The pilot has a top cocking pin that has been known to have some problems:
1) It can be lost from the bolt during use. Sundragon Paintball is one supplier who carries replacements.
2) It can be very difficult to remove from the bolt, making bolt removal impossible. Try a few drops of marker oil around the base and pull while twisting. If needed use pliers. Remember to pull straight up and away from the bolt, never pry at an angle.
3)The pin is held in place by a set screw pushing against a spring, which pushes against a small ball bearing. This spring tension holds the pin in place by wedging the ball bearing against a groove in the bottom of the pin. You can adjust the tightness (that holds the cocking pin) by turing the set screw in or out. Remember it has loc-tite on it and may need mild heat with a hair dryer. Do not over heat a delrin bolt; it's plastic and will melt or distort shape.

Baozer
09-15-2006, 06:52 PM
We need a sticky on the cocking bolt/pin. It seems every few weeks there's a post on a new person who's "lost" their pin.

this is so true... i think i might have even made one of these threads before asking about the pin... i dont remember >.>

chad
09-15-2006, 07:01 PM
ha you should be glad that its hard to take out. mine came out itself during a game! yeah but just pull it straight up

JMotioN
09-17-2006, 11:39 AM
i was lucky enough to have a buddy i at church show me everything i need to maintain my spyder, hes been playing for 14 years :D

viperx6x9x
09-17-2006, 09:16 PM
yeah i lost mine during a game too. i need to get another one. i ended up cutting the slot all the way back so you dont have to take it out anyway, and i sliced the back of the body so i can just grab the bolt and pull it out. works pretty well.

but yeah the reason they get tight is cuz that slot it rides back and forth in is too short, the pin hits the edges and gets bent ever so slightly so that you cant see it but its bent enough it makes it hard to get out without pliers.

i put a new designz bolt in mine which held the cocking pin a little looser and it was easy to pull out again, however i guess it was too loose cuz it just flew out one game and i never found it.

Lexmetal4
09-27-2006, 12:14 PM
Ok, That same problem happens with my Pilot ACS. Just get a rag or towel, throw it over the top cocking knob,(prevents knob from getting scratched or deformed) then procceed by pulling straight up using pliers. If pulling up doesn't work, twist it a bit and then pull up at the same time. This is what I do with mine when it gives me trouble. If this doesn't work, try having someone stonger do it, they might get it.

sidekick
09-27-2006, 12:30 PM
I never had a problem getting it out. But I did have a problem with it ejecting. My knob was hitting the top of the frame on the rearward stroke of the cycle, evident by the marks that took the anodizing off. I milled the top rail down, about a 1/16" and made a new cocking knob that was 1/8" taller. No more ejecting knob. There are pics down in the custom forum.
http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=6387