PDA

View Full Version : Rifled Barrels....

Hawk
09-15-2006, 01:34 AM
This is to finally confirm the questions on the rifled barrel, Ive used a few, but I want to hear what you think about them (only comment if youve used one).

My vote, thier BS.
[EDIT] Lets turn this into a poll.

Voodoo27909
09-15-2006, 02:27 AM
BS

I own a Hammerhead set...and while I LOVE the barrels performance and characteristics, I have no doubt that it has NOTHING to do with the rifleing in the barrel (In fact...It prbly would be even better if it did NOT have the rifleing. Rifleing causes waste of air/C02, poor barrel to ball match due to the air going forward of the paintball (Although this DOES help to self-clean a broken ball in the barrel if it happens to occure), higher operating pressures needed to properly chrono a markers FPS useing a rifled barrel, LOUDER markers (yeh...these are all pretty much saying the same thing...).

Im sure you already are aware that a paintball simply WILL NOT continue to spin once it leaves a barrel as a rifled bore would wish it to- just not possible.

Total Hype
BS

thechubbss12
09-15-2006, 04:33 AM
Yep Voodo pretty much hit teh nail on the head.... Rifeling does nothing to imrove accuracy among paintballs... because not all paintball are perfectly round also because some of the cheaper ones may dent in the actual shooting proces.....

colonel_moo
09-15-2006, 01:54 PM
about 4 years ago when i was still using my spyder, i had an armson stealth rifled barrel, and i donno if it had anything to do with the rifling, but that barrel was DEAD accurate. im still amazed to this day how accurate that barrel was. and those were the days where i was using crappy paint that may or may not have been sitting out for months.

BS

Im sure you already are aware that a paintball simply WILL NOT continue to spin once it leaves a barrel as a rifled bore would wish it to- just not possible.

Total Hype
BS

care to elaborate? there is a thing called rotational inertia, so if the ball is actually spinning while inside the barrel, it will continue to once it leaves. in fact, try arcing a two-toned paint across a field with the sun behind you, you can actually see the ball, and see that its spinning.

Recon by Fire
09-15-2006, 07:46 PM
Tom Kaye and a few other "smarter than us" individuals in teh paintball community have already studied and proved that rifling in paintball is not effective. That said, it doesn't mean a rifled barrel is a bad barrel. I have an Armson Stealth also and I will atest that it shoots darts and matches any other quality barrel out there.

Nenkitsune
09-15-2006, 07:53 PM
my empire twister does something as far as accuracy goes. someone did a test with it compared to other barrels of the same length, and found that the empire twister would go through crosswinds straighter than other's, and i have noticed that too. one really really bad thing about rifled barrels, they don't clean themselves after a break

timbertiger20
09-15-2006, 09:19 PM
OK, without causing a huge debate........I don't believe the mystery has been solved at this point! I've read the studies disproving it and well I think they had some issues. I've tried the Hammerheads and they are great. I've tried tons of other barrels that were great. I've read tons of threads where they say it's not possible to spin a paintball. That is completely false as Tippmann and the Apex have proved. Is it possible to spin it with a barrel? Not with knife blades touching it at 20,000 rpms! I believe theoretically it may be possible. Someone was even advertising that a new bolt will add backspin by directing air. My thoughts......theoretically it's possible......Would cost me more money to prove or disprove then it would to buy better paint that shoots straight!

Hawk
09-16-2006, 01:54 AM
It seems everyone has thier opinion so far, but the poll shows some results. Id like to get some more opinions, Has anyone tried the Shark-Tooth from hammerhead on a marker? I used it on my pistol but because its not a standard marker (close but not enough) to make a judgement. Try taking a stock barrel and cutting it down to 5" (dont worry im doing that) and try the shark tooth, see how it does.

durrell
09-16-2006, 09:11 AM
Moved to polls.

claustrophobia9
09-16-2006, 10:21 AM
how about we just shoot alot to overcompensate for inaccuracy and dont worry about barrels.

TheRedBarron
09-23-2006, 03:57 PM
how about we just shoot alot to overcompensate for inaccuracy and dont worry about barrels.
QFT :p