PDA

View Full Version : Remembering 9-11-2001

shunut
09-10-2006, 09:00 PM
Well, tomorrow is the 5th anniversary of the attacks on 9-11. I've been watching the specials they've had on TV and thought I'd share my feelings.

First and foremost I want to thank every, man and woman that on a daily basis go out and risk their lives to help us. Whether they work for the Fire Department, Police Department or Armed Forces, Thank you. Thank you for keeping me safe, everyday and always being there when we need you most. Thank you. If anybody had any family members, friends, loved ones lost in the 9-11 attacks or in the pursuing war, I'm sorry. I'm sorry they had to lose their lives but at least they did it doing what we as Americans stand for. Freedom. Thank you again.

I remember that day crystal clear. I had just put my scrubs on and was getting ready to leave for work. My phone rang, it was my mom. She said, "Turn the TV on now!"
I said, "What channel?"
She said, "It doesn't matter."
I dropped to the couch in disbelief. I talked to her for a few minutes, then she had to go because her boss told everyone to go home, if they had kids, go get them and go home and be with their family. I called my best friend and woke him and his wife up. I said, "Turn on the TV."
Less than a minute later we both watched the 2nd plane hit the tower. I was in disbelief. I thought it was a dream. I could not believe what I was watching.

I arrived at work to see almost nobody working. Everybody was glued to the TV watch, many were crying. Many couldn't talk. A few kept working, I think doing so thinking maybe it wasn't real and if they went on it would just go away. About an hour after arriving at work my mom called again, "Grandma and Grandpa are in New York, they've been there for a couple days and nobody can get ahold of them."
I couldn't get words out, I found myself trying to find more work to do to distract me from the possibilities. Luckily, unlike many others my grandparents made it out. They were actually staying in a hotel fairly near to the twin towers.

That day and the days to follow were slow as all the details were put together piece by piece. Still today it seems unreal. Still today it hurts to know how many people lost their lives. After watching the documentaries they had on today, it still seems amazing how brave the policemen and firemen were. Going into the building, doing their job to serve and protect. Again, Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

Please share your thoughts and what you remember of that day. I think the people who died deserve at least that.

DRAGON
09-10-2006, 09:26 PM
Heh, I remember the plumber just came to the house and said we're being attacked in New York City and the Pentagon and I was like, ya right dude and paid him no mind because he is a joking kind of guy. After he finally realized I seriously thought he was joking he said to turn the TV on so I did and we both watched the second jet hit the big towers. Jaws dropped -

luciusad2004
09-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Well... i dont really know what to say, i just... wouldnt feel right if i didnt say something in here. I still rememeber were i was sitting when i heard about it. I was sitting in my 8th grade english class. The teachers weren't supposed to tell us what was going on but my teacher gave in and finally told us. I didnt really realize how big this was untill i got home however.

I just wish i could say thank you to all of the people who helped serve our nation, Police, Firemen, Military, and ordinary citezens who stood up and did what i would never be able to do.

also... i dont know if you can do this or not, but i think it would be nice if one of the mods could sticky this, even if it was just for a day or two. It would be a shame to see this thread fall below everything else.

again, i just want just want to say thanks to everyone who is out there fighting for what they believe in, fighting for their families, fighting for their neighbors, fighting for the kids like me, and fighting for everything they know and belive. I would like to say thank you to all of the men and women who fight for what i wouldnt. They have more Courage, love, and passion than i think i could ever know or understand and i honestly respect them for that.

Sac
09-10-2006, 10:54 PM
it seems so long ago, but 5 years is nothing if you think about it
i remember exactly where i was sitting, what i was wearing (cuz i went to private school *uniforms ftl*) and the look on everyones faces as the 2nd plane flew in.

there have been some amazing stories that have come out of this day, and alot of lives changed forever, i hope no one ever forgets this day.

durrell
09-11-2006, 04:09 AM
I was in the 7th grade. My assistant principal walked in and got both of the teachers together from my "team" and I saw them talk together as we did work. They then went and turned on the TVs and we all watched in disbelief. Before we went home, our social studies teacher showed us stuff about the Twin Towers and why they might have collapsed. I remember coming home and doing nothing but watching the news. I also saved the newspapers.

shunut
09-11-2006, 06:14 AM
...and ordinary citezens who stood up and did what i would never be able to do...

I forgot about that, thanks for bringing that up. I'd like to think that since these attacks that there would be the same reaction now on all flights if they were hijacked today. I'd like to think that if I was on a plane that was hijacked I would do something. I can't say for certain I would because I've never been put in that situation. They were brave though and showed more courage and passion for our country than we can imagine, knowing that even though they stopped the terrorist, they would probably still die. They sacrificed their lives for others, others they didn't even know, which I believe is the ultimate display of bravery and courage.

Drefish99
09-11-2006, 06:41 AM
8:20 am I walked into the office and a fellow coworker popped over the walls of our cubicles and told me as I was setting my stuff down that an airplane had just hit one of the twin towers in New York. In my haste I quickly jumped on CNN.com and MSNBC.com to see if I could gather some info on the subject. Then a few minutes later the other plane hits tower 2. I knew then this wasn’t going to be an average day and this was going to change history as we knew it.

vwjimmy
09-11-2006, 06:49 AM
I was running a repair facility when my Detail Foreman came up and said "A plane just hit the World Trade Center"....my entire staff went to the waiting area and watched in horror as a second plane hit the other tower live right in front of us....God Bless those who lost their lives that day and those they left behind.......

bamf-hacker
09-11-2006, 06:50 AM
Originally being from NJ, right outside of NY, when I first heard of the plane that hit the Tower I was not even phased. Small planes hit the towers all the time. I remember I was sitting in the server room getting ready to update the accounting software for my office and they came in to tell me. I kept on working thinking it was no big deal. Then they came and told me about plane number 2 and I couldn't believe that 2 small planes hit them on the same day. I went to look and was floored to see the Towers and the Damage.

To this day it hard to believe they are gone. I have been back to see friends and family in NJ and the skyline does not look the same.

http://img.webring.com/r/w/wavegoodbyetoter/logo

Heart felt thoughts go out to all those that lost loved ones in NY, DC and the plane that went down in PA.

DFSniper
09-11-2006, 08:04 AM
i walked into 7th grade science, first class in the morning. towards the end of class, the social studies teacher runs over from next door and tells my teacher to turn to channel 3. we watch right after the second plane hit and a few minutes later we see a report that a bomb or something went off at the pentagon... then we watched the towers collapse until the teacher shut the tv off. next period (industrial apps.) my teacher tells me i'm being signed out. it sounds like shes joking so about half a minute later she says it again. so i get signed out, my brothers are already in the van, and so we have to drive to the middle school to pick up my sister and the neighbors daughter. driving around post there were all kinds of barriers set up and they were playing Rockin' In the Free World on the radio. they wouldnt let anyone on to the airforce base (which always seemed to have higher security than the army post)

Drefish99
09-11-2006, 08:17 AM
They are replaying the news reports on CNN.com. If you are so inclined to listen and view them again go to http://www.cnn.com/ and on the top go to CNN Pipeline.

albertjackson99
09-11-2006, 08:30 AM
I was in our Armory when someone told me that a plane flew into the WTC. Afew buddies and I walked tour dorms across the Quad and watched some CNN in the Dayroom. When the second plane hit we decided to gather our squadron up and get some decent situational awareness. As soon as we walked out of the dorm we heard the plane hit the Pentagon and saw the smoke begin to rise. We had several people out at the Pentagon that day. Luckily, we dodn't lose any troops. Pretty amazing that the workers repaired that building and had it re-opened on the 1 year anniversary. Needless to say, the weeks following the attack were quite interesting.

Warnichek
09-11-2006, 08:54 AM
I was making the morning mail run and listening to the local radio and they were talking about a fire in one of the towers. all the sudden they said "Oh my gosh a plane just flew into the other tower!" I was going crazy because they said we were under attack.
I had no access to a TV until later that evening when I got home. I was glued to that all night.

xsgmike66x
09-11-2006, 11:03 AM
Hmm well for me it doesn't feel like 5 years, if feels as if it happened yesterday. 5 years ago I was in 7th grade and as on my way to the building where they served lunch teachers lined the walk way and told us that no ones allowed out side, everyone has to stay in the building. Once everyone was inside they told us to take seats and then they told us that 2 planes have flew into the World Trade towers, now I really wasent paying attention and though that 2 airplanes crashed into the towers at the airport. Then I heard a kid say Wow were going to be part of history. Then it hit me what had happened. After lunch I went to history class, I remember that I had a test that day, riht after I finished my test I was called to leave school. There my dad was waitng in my freinds car that he borrowed( the tire fell off the wheel of his car and he didnt know what was going on till he went home, then he came and got me). On the way home me and my dad took the way where we seen across the water and seen the towers burning, we seen the smoke puring out all over teh city. I remember going back to my freinds house and we sat tehre and watched teh news for hours, I eventually fell asleep. When I woke up the news was still on. A short while after this I went home. Later that night my dad called my freinds mom to see how her husband was, He was on rescue 5. They were changing shifts at the time and alot of guys who werent suppost to be working jumped on the rig and went. Rescue five lost alot of men that day and had to shut down for awhile. My freinds dad did not make it, they did not find him. I remember my dad calling my freinds mom to see if they heard of anything, they did not. a couple days later me and a couple of my freinds went over his house. the side walk was lined with candles and people was outside and more inside. My freind was doign fine like it hasnt hit him yet. After awhile we left. a couple weeks later they had a wake and funeral for his dad, my soccer team went(this kid we knew from soccer). Before the wake we had patches sewn onto out uniforms rememberign captin louis j moddiferi, rescue 5. There was alot of people there, everyone was graping our uniforms looking at the patch,, they thought it was nice of us. One guy gave us $100 and said here have yourselves a pizza party. My dad (our coach) tried to give it back but he wouldent accept so we had a pizza party/ awards ceremony with it. I rmemeber as we would drive by the dump every day for months we would see the debris from the world trade center piled up, we seen the crashed trucks, and everything, we seen trucks carryign it go up there. These are thigns i will never forget, and like i said to me all this feels like it was yesterday.

now i would like to send my thanks to all that helped in the recover efforts, and my all those who lost their lives rest in peace, and all those familys that they can go on with the lives, many have, but they will always be scared.

It saddens me to think of this, and tears form in my eyes and i really wish it was a dream, but its not, everytime i look at the city it is not the same and it will never be the same as it was wwith those 2 towers, all i can hope is that the skyline is better when they finish the new buildings.

pman15
09-11-2006, 04:10 PM
when i was in the non paintball section pf pbnation there was a thread were it was a live call from one of the towers.i watched it,is was very chilling and at the end u could here him screaming cause the tower was collapsing.i was in second grade i believe the day it happened.sigh,it seems like 5 years has gone so fast though

pman15
09-11-2006, 04:35 PM
here is the link to it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2454297501847376918&q=chilling+9%2F11+call&hl=en