PDA

View Full Version : Finding it hard to leave the sport

FredPo
09-10-2006, 09:14 AM
Despite my claims to quitting, I'm finding it difficult to say that I"m never going to play again. It seems that getting out all my equiptment for preparation of selling it has revamped my interest. (dont worry guys, I'm still selling the stuff lol). I'm not sure if I'm exactly sure on quitting.
Maybe my interest has subsided because of my lack of play and the fact that I'm built my dream marker and have completely upgraded to the max besides a custom anno job. Building the Ironmen up to what it has become was a challenge and a great experience in itself. I'm not sure why I'm telling this on a post but Im curious to see what you all have to say about it. Maybe I'm seeing if anyone else has had cold feet about quitting and just couldn't do it. It seems in my best interests that I should quit and use the money for school but to never hold a timmy again and play on a field just imposes a negative affect. Do you guys find it hard to quit?
Possibly the lack of time off the field is correlated with my intentions on quitting because the thought of never playing paintball didn't cross my mind when I was active on the field but my long drought has brought me to the conclusion of quitting. Possibly, I should become more proactive and try and play 2-3 times a month to revamp my interest? LOL, what do you guys think?

Fred

vwjimmy
09-10-2006, 09:27 AM
I think you need to keep a marker setup around FOREVER.....
Play when you can and see what happens. If you push to 'play three times a month' it might become a duty more than a fun outing. I have been playing alot lately, but that doesn't mean I will next month...and I am not going to feel guilty either way.....
Luckly, there is alot of rec speedballers here so I can always have fun. Also, there are alot of first timers that want to have fun and personally I have a great time showing them our sport without subjecting them to 'noob pwnage' that seems to be a sport of its own at some fields.....
Go play and see how you feel.......
My .02

FredPo
09-10-2006, 09:29 AM
Nice post jimmy. I think I'm going to now keep the tank ( lol, jk). I bought the stuff to ship it tomorrow morning just so you know. Bubble wrap and all :). Anyways, what I meant by playing 3 times a month wasn't forcing myself to play. I'd love to play every weekend but college, lifting, and my gf take up a lot of my time. I think I could balance these out better if I was really intent on playing so I could have more time for paintball.

Fred

timmyshoota
09-10-2006, 09:47 AM
I'm in a weird place. I want to flat out quit and use the money for paintball on other things, but everytime I quit I wind up buying everything again. I really need to just get a better job to be able to afford to play and do the other things I want.

vikingshadow
09-10-2006, 09:51 AM
I felt the same way...and found it hard to leave over the summer. I think because I was mostly bored and the days didn't really matter much. Compounded by the fact that no one around here wanted to play, it made me want to play that much more.

However, since I started back to school (sometime during the end of July) I haven't even WANTED to go play. In fact, I haven't even bought a magazine in months, nor talked to any other of the local paintballers...

Nenkitsune
09-10-2006, 10:11 AM
my friends and i decided to set the last saturday of each month as PB day. it just helps us use the rest of the time to plan everything and get it all organized. so far it's worked out pretty well.

Recon by Fire
09-10-2006, 05:55 PM
Keep a stash "just in case".

QAZ123
09-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Just meet up with me just south of Lexington, KY for a 2 man tourney next weekend in the middle of some festival downtown sponsored by paintball hill and we'll go mow some faces and you'll be happy!

JB.

FredPo
09-11-2006, 10:09 AM
We should meet up sometime to play. possibly in Northern Kentucky at a place called Diehard. It's a nice place to play from what I hear.

Fred

bamf-hacker
09-11-2006, 10:10 AM
Welcome back to PB Fred :)

It is in your blood. Once a baller always a baller.

Just don't take it seriously and play to have fun.

Paintball0308
09-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Just play once a month or every other month that way you dont quit, you just dont play as often.

Ace24
09-11-2006, 01:50 PM
I could never quit the sport... nor sell my baby... I say continue playing, just dont do it so often that you get sick/bored of it... and try different types of paintball. If you only play speed ball.. maybe its time to try scenario/woodsball. (Dont beat me up on this, I'm not sure if your a woodsball/scenario type hater or not)

claustrophobia9
09-11-2006, 02:12 PM
fred, still no pm's from you, id be glad to bring some of my ownage to you. btw you notice how no. 13 rated in the country st x beat no. 8 st eds.... we're the power house again this year

edit: check out the BL onyx... imo its a bob long i would actually buy and i know how you have a man crush on bob

Drefish99
09-11-2006, 02:47 PM
Fred Do what I do. Plan an outing with your friends and if none of your friends show up cut them off as a friend. Naw Just Kidding. Go anyway. Walk on is still a great way of getting aggressions out and to meet new people that love the same game that you do.

FredPo
09-11-2006, 03:07 PM
Fred Do what I do. Plan an outing with your friends and if none of your friends show up cut them off as a friend. Naw Just Kidding. Go anyway. Walk on is still a great way of getting aggressions out and to meet new people that love the same game that you do.

I think I will just cut them off as friends lol. Anyways, I'm the type of person that if I'm involved in something, I want to be the best. It's hard for me not to take pb seriously. I'm always saying to the guys, practice once a week, lets all chip in and get scuba tanks to play on our own field. The guys just talk a big game w/o doing anything. I mean, we have a 9-man diablo field just sitting away not getting used. Really bothers me but oh well, I may just head up pbcountry and play with claus as my last resort (just kidding claus, you aren't too bad :) ) Anyways, I don't think I'm going to quit totally. I'm selling a lot of my stuff right now but I'll be on the sales thread lookign to buy in the near future.

fred

claustrophobia9
09-11-2006, 04:13 PM
hey fred my friend has a huge farm with an open field up by kings island, we could set up the 9man there if you want...

FredPo
09-13-2006, 10:10 AM
hey fred my friend has a huge farm with an open field up by kings island, we could set up the 9man there if you want...
It's a possibility, we need to get together to discuss further details.

fred

adriann222
09-13-2006, 11:58 AM
I'm in the same boat.

I've had hard times and tried to quit 4-6 times now and each time I sell my dream marker that took me a year or 2 to build, then as soon as spring or fall hits, I get the bug and I'm right back into building a marker and getting back into play.

My recomendation...get rid of all your gear except for a low end gun(tippy, spyder...ect), a 12v revy, a half way decent mask, and a 48/3000 tank. That way you can play when you want (or can) and you still have your own gear. This is what I am going to do when I know I'm gonna quit next year. But I'm gonna keep an upped A-5, tank, pack, and mask. In fact I'm looking for my A-5 right now.

I mean don't get me wrong I love my tourney markers. I play with them, spend 100's of dollars on then and they are supper sweet!!! But I am unable to give them the attention they deserve.

That's just my opinion, but there it is.