PDA

View Full Version : Junior year... blows!

xtraking
09-08-2006, 07:32 PM
So i started this tuesday, and yaeh its only been 4 days but by far junior year has been the worst out of anything.
-Heres my schedule for reference:
-Latin 3 honors
-US history (had to drop out of ap due to too much homework ill get to that later)
-Algebra 2
- Lunch
- Physics (realyl honors physics , cus same teacher, same course, just not called it)
- French 4
- Philosophy in fall, quest for the divine in spring
- Brit Lit Honors
- History of music in fall, history of art in spring.

Yeah so only one free, and 8 classes... every single day.
Few problems with teachers:
Physics teacher is teaching us exactly as honors students. I know its only 4 days, but he has the whole yuaer planned and tis the same exact as honors. So im talknig to the guidance councelor monday to say either we are honors, or he just doesnt do as much work for us. But what gets me the most is that for every missed homework, he takes off half a letter grade on your FINAL GRADE. So say you get a B in that class for the quarter and miss 2 homeworks... its now a c/c- depending onhow high your b is. He also takes off 50% on any graded assignment for 3 grammatical mistakes as little as missing a comma. I mean this is physics... come on.

My latin teacher, well he is giving us a test on first 3 delcensions, all very conjugations and tenses, and all pronouns on monday. Well hes only grading it for half the class who had him last year (me included) and the other half who didnt have him isnt being graded, which i think is al ittle BS.

But enough about teachers, my homework is averaging 3 hours (serious) and then i have reading on top of that.
I know you prob think im whining, but i dont care, its just rediculous how much stuff there is in junior year.

Did anyone have as bad as a junior year start as i did?

TL;DR- My schedule sucks, teachers suck, and yeah junior year will be a very long year.

claustrophobia9
09-08-2006, 07:36 PM
meh.... mine is easy

geometry/intro to java
us history
spanish 3
bio
english 3
morality and justice (*)
web design

*was manditory, personally i hate it because i disagree with 90% of the things they say. like my conclusion to a problem is almost identical, but the reasoning behind it is far more intellectual than the pile they call teaching material.

junior year is liek 50% easier than sophmore year imo.

edit: i did have a bad expirience, first test in us i was too much in the zone, missed directions and saw somthing i thought was the essay promt on the board and instead of getting the sheet/promt for the essay i wrote on the test (minus points) and turned it in. the teacher got pissed cuz i didnt listen to directions then later accused me of cheating because i knew the prompt (he said in class "this is the essay" while he was teaching... :dodgy:) but then let me go when i explained

xtraking
09-08-2006, 08:03 PM
soph year is 150% easier then junior year and sophmore yuaer was really hard haha. I was going to take ap computer programmin (java) but decided not to and took hsitory of art and music so i dont ahve to senior year.

stylinbeaver
09-08-2006, 08:05 PM
Hope you make it through your junior year man!!! You don't want to know my classes. I'd get laughed out of this forum :p

ooglieboogliebob
09-08-2006, 08:13 PM
I feel for you Dave, my schedule is pretty lame also ..

All honors except gym ... and a few AP
Chemistry
English 9
AP Computer Science A
Fitness for Life I (stupid freshies ... annoying and loud)
AP Euro History
Precalc
AP Euro History Seminar
Spanish 3

It's my stupid sophmore year too !!!!! ... imagine what next year will be like ... *bangs head on table*

stylinbeaver
09-08-2006, 08:17 PM
I feel for you Dave, my schedule is pretty lame also ..

All honors except gym ... and a few AP
Chemistry
English 9
AP Computer Science A
Fitness for Life I (stupid freshies ... annoying and loud)
AP Euro History
Precalc
AP Euro History Seminar
Spanish 3

It's my stupid sophmore year too !!!!! ... imagine what next year will be like ... *bangs head on table*
LOL!!! That's hard classes. I geuss I'll go ahead and post my classes.
Masonry
Construction Tech
Tech Math( WooHoo!)
Civics
Weight Training
Biology
Career Managment
English 2
Go ahead and laugh I don't care:o

ooglieboogliebob
09-08-2006, 08:25 PM
meh, not laughing. And i hate how the edit option doesn't work sometimes >.<

English 10 not English 9 .... :rolleyes:

I want to get some hands on classes in, but i can't find the time. Biology i took last year ... wasn't too hard. Nextyear = AP Physics, AP Phychology, AP Computerscience AB, .... more AP ... and rest honors ... im gonna be sleepy all day :(

DyNasty9
09-08-2006, 08:39 PM
my sophmore year is going to suck. my teachers are just lame.
heres my schedual:
Global
english
bio lab/gym
bio
digital elctronics
lunch
geometry
spanish
health

plus its a new school and its soo like unorganized.
thing that pisses me off most is my locker is like in the art wing which is ablsolutly no where near any or my classes.

03TiburonGT
09-08-2006, 08:40 PM
So far my Junior year kicks ass. Here's my scheduele:

1. CAD/Architechture
2. Advanced Algebra/Statistics
3. Honors Chemistry
4. Honors English
5. Study Hall/lunch
6. Engineering
7. Honors US History (pt II)/Government

I only have 2 textbooks, which is pretty awesome. The tests on #1 + #6 are open notes, and the tests are ONLY on the notes, so its a no-brainer. #2 is a class of all seniors except me and two other Juniors, so its real relaxed. #3 is a breeze so far, except the teacher smells like shaz every day. #4 sucks in every aspect except being difficult. #5 is my fav. class of the day. #7 is probably my hardest class, we've taken one quiz so far and I got a 97 on that. Homework is usually an hour and a half every night, but I do half of it in study so its not that big of a deal.

Not only do my classes rock, but I've met a ton of new girls and have been hanging out with them in my spare time. Looks like Junior year is going to be my best yet

stylinbeaver
09-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Not only do my classes rock, but I've met a ton of new girls and have been hanging out with them in my spare time. Looks like Junior year is going to be my best yet
Lucky:dodgy: As you can tell, my first 2 classes are sausage fests and my other two classes, the girls in there have no potencial

Ace24
09-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Hehe.. Senior year for me.

Physics
French II ( I took 2 years of spanish and two years of french... dont know why they switched me from spanish to french)
Drawing and Painting (Already took studio art and art history)
Phys Ed
Lunch
Calc
PIG
Computer Programming Honors
English 4 honors

God I cant wait to get out of high school.

I have a girlfriend, so no "checking out the girls" for me. Very happy with my gf and not interested in anyone else. Pluss all the girls are drama queens in my classes...

I never bothered to take any AP courses because I dont want to get in to architecture anymore because of the chances of me actually being sucessfull in it. So after HS I am going to a trade school to major in auto mechanics, and minor in photography. (I've already had around 8 years of professional training from my father who majored in it and is now a professional event photographer - I assist him)

ricochet08
09-08-2006, 08:59 PM
just throwing this in there...but, i'd kill to have Spanish 3 :D

i switch to a better school to get worse :(

but good luck with all of that man :)

UKwithPride
09-08-2006, 09:35 PM
I got suspended the 1st day of the second week, does that count?

leed
09-08-2006, 09:49 PM
Dan. No.

[/thread]

Suck it up. :D

DFSniper
09-11-2006, 08:36 AM
senior year:
A day
Art
Physics
Web Design (HTML)
AP English Language

B day
Personal Fitness (1 day in the gym, 1 day in class. the text book we're using is the same one i used for 9th grade health)
Video Communications (make home movies!)
Model United Nations (my friend talked me into it, but we're not getting along too well right now...)

im not gonna get valedictorian this year because theyre letting a bunch of juniors graduate early cuz out schools closing, so im gonna get screwed over by this nerdy girl...

colonel_moo
09-11-2006, 01:14 PM
heres my schedule:

-math modeling, honors (only class above calculus (took that junior year) that my school offers. basically real world calc applications/engineering problems. my entire year's grade depends on four papers. 2 first term, 1 second term, and 1 for my third, fourth and final exam grade. should be a good class.)

-the new literature

-AP european history

-marketing

-topics in modern physics, honors (my second year of physics in high school... hopefully going to be a fun class. studying things like string theory, black holes etc)

-AP spanish 5

SENIORS 07 W00T!!

claustrophobia9
09-11-2006, 02:02 PM
tibs, what are you guys using for a cad program.

btw that was my easiest class last year.

webdesign is THE easiest thing on earth, to get a feel for how naturally it comes to me here is my week schedule.

monday: get assigned project, look busy
tuesday: look busy, search pbn
wed: look busy, help the noobs
thursday: look busy, talk to kid who is so far ahead the teacher just tells him to play games
friday: complete all the projects in 1/5th the time of everyone else.

lather rinse repeat.

Hob Hayward
09-11-2006, 02:13 PM
Engineering design
French 3 H
English 11 H
History through film H
Pre-calc H
Chem H
Ap-Hist

I've had a crapload of HW, and it sucks ass.

Xtraking, I got 3 hours of HW in AP history in just one night. Every night is usually at least an hour. Plus all my other classes...

claustrophobia9
09-11-2006, 02:15 PM
I got suspended the 1st day of the second week, does that count?
first day i responded to attendance with "here... i am rock you like a hurricane" and now im not alowed to speak unless i write it down and get it approved by a classmate :rolleyes:

why did you get suspended? cut someone?

MatthewTheTheif
09-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Did anyone have as bad as a junior year start as i did?

TL;DR- My schedule sucks, teachers suck, and yeah junior year will be a very long year.

yeah, IB started fo' real this year, ive already had a spanish and english oral due that will count for about 15% of my total IB grade, luckily i did good on both of them, but yeah, definately sucks

FredPo
09-11-2006, 03:10 PM
You guys/gals who are complaining about the work load in high school are really getting a good start into college life. When I look back at high school, I could get straight A's with mediocrity. In college, you talk pages of notes a day, read textbooks like no other, and study endless hours for exams to keep a high gpa. Appreciate what these teachers are doing for you now. They are preparing for the world and college. Life tough and unfair, get used to it. But on the bright side, enjoy high school, they are some of the best years of your life.

Fred

SharpObjects
09-11-2006, 05:17 PM
A lot of you take classes I would never consider to take.
My junior year consists of (In order)

JROTC
JROTC Drill team
Weight Training
Algebra II
English III Honors
American History
Marine Science

It's been easy so far. It's the social part of high school that I'm terrible at. lol
I'm already 1/6th over with school. It started in early August.
I can't wait for college.

Jimmyd24
09-11-2006, 05:47 PM
this was my junior year
AP French
AP American History
AP Calculus
Accounting
Global Studies(business)
AP Physics
AP English

DFSniper
09-12-2006, 02:42 AM
drill team is a class? wow,you must have a big school!

thechubbss12
09-12-2006, 04:51 AM
Ehhh people and thier AP classes..... IMO useless... most colleges dont give you credit for them and they waste away the greatest years of your life by indulging you in loads of useless homework...

You wanna know something that is actuly worth you time.... Getting a skill... Do concurent enrollment with Highschool and a Vocational college. that way when you graduate highschool and are looking for a college to go through you can work as a electrician, carpenter, or a computer geek instead of a waiter or someone who works ar mcdonalds....

colonel_moo
09-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Ehhh people and thier AP classes..... IMO useless... most colleges dont give you credit for them and they waste away the greatest years of your life by indulging you in loads of useless homework...

You wanna know something that is actuly worth you time.... Getting a skill... Do concurent enrollment with Highschool and a Vocational college. that way when you graduate highschool and are looking for a college to go through you can work as a electrician, carpenter, or a computer geek instead of a waiter or someone who works ar mcdonalds....

actually AP classes often get less homework due to the fact that AP students dont need teachers to drill information into their heads. they can do that at their own pace at their leisure, the way they think is best. and whether or not a college accepts AP credits or not, they still look very good on college apps, especially if you got a 5 on the exam. id rather have a crappy job at a good college than a decent job at a crappy college. the job you have during college doesnt matter, the education you get does, and you arent going to get the education you want by taking easy classes and getting into a sub par college. plus, colleges want people who challenge themselves, not people who take easy classes during high school and got strait As. all that shows them is you could be smart but you're a slackass who doesnt want to apply himself.

Mech Warrior
09-12-2006, 12:58 PM
If I recall the '75-76 school year correctly, my junior year was great. You can date either sophomores or seniors without their parents looking at you funny.

thechubbss12
09-12-2006, 02:59 PM
Ehhh maybe AP classes are diffrent down here... I had all AP classes besides the 2 electives the past 3 years.... then i learned that most D1 colleges dont recognize the AP classes... So i realised the 2 hours of homework a night was all for poo... I got tired of seemingly harder classes for no payoff....

And about the college thing... Haveing askill right out of highschool will most deff set you apart in the running when appying to college... Because i know i would take someone who took the time to learn the skill while in highschool over someone who just took AP classes.... Not because of my distaste to AP classes but because as of right now they are worth more to the world because they could right now live fine ($12+ a hour) but instead they want even more.... IMO looks better on any reseme (sp) then any AP classes....

phatphil
09-13-2006, 12:27 PM
My Schedule is very easy this year:
Engineering Drafting 1st sem / Architectural Engineering 2nd sem
Spanish II
AP Government
Honors English 11
Pre Cal
Lunch
AP Chemistry
Study Hall

SharpObjects
09-13-2006, 12:41 PM
drill team is a class? wow,you must have a big school!

Actually, its the way the schedule works out. Its called the A-B schedule. We have 1, 3, 5, and 7th periods on an A-day, B-day would be 2, 4, 6, and 7th. (7th is everyday) They decided to make Drill team a class like gym, but I took weight training as well, to get into better shape. I don't need to take any team sports or health classes thanks to jrotc.

My school is pretty average size. Anyone in the St. Pete area of Florida?

spyderpaintball
09-13-2006, 12:46 PM
Grades>Skills.

Schools are much more intersted in your grades and your test scores than if or if not you have a skill. Just having a skill will not get you anywhere but some state schools or community colleges.

Yes having a skill is important and will be looked at when applying. Unfortunatly goes more into the secondary things that a college looks at. i.e character, community service, sports, ect. The main thing that they look at though is test scores(ACT and SAT), GPA, and classes. AP classes will help you if not only for maybe getting you college credit, but also prepares you for the level of work expected in college.

I took 2 AP classes senior year, took 1 of the tests and got a 3. The school I am at now requires a 4 for Calc so I did not get credit. That being said I have been in my calc class for a month now and it has been one of my easiest classes.

So that being said, skills are great but grades are more important. Be a well rounded person you may not have to have a workable skill, but dont be a lazy bum either. Get a job, play sports, take a wide spectrum of classes in HS. Be a well rounded person and you will do fine applying for colleges.

Paintball0308
09-13-2006, 02:36 PM
I'm a sophmore and my schedule is

Personal fittness
drivers ed
chemistry
algebra 2
english 2
weight training 2

I had gifted classes since 1st grade (gifted = AP) but in 9th grade I switched to regular and it is soo much easier. The work is so easy. I can do less work and get A's without the hard work instead of working really hard to earn C's and D's. I'm also ahead 2 classes so I can leave early my senior year after 2 classes if I wanted to. Also I dont want AP classes and stuff because I dont want to be a doctor or laywer or some boring work like that. I'd rather be doing hands on work like fixing stuff. I'd rather be building stuff or making stuff hands on instead of paperwork. I like to know what and why things work.

colonel_moo
09-14-2006, 06:54 PM
I'm a sophmore and my schedule is

Personal fittness
drivers ed
chemistry
algebra 2
english 2
weight training 2

I had gifted classes since 1st grade (gifted = AP) but in 9th grade I switched to regular and it is soo much easier. The work is so easy. I can do less work and get A's without the hard work instead of working really hard to earn C's and D's. I'm also ahead 2 classes so I can leave early my senior year after 2 classes if I wanted to. Also I dont want AP classes and stuff because I dont want to be a doctor or laywer or some boring work like that. I'd rather be doing hands on work like fixing stuff. I'd rather be building stuff or making stuff hands on instead of paperwork. I like to know what and why things work.

i guess you did the right thing by dropping down. you dont wanna push yourself too much and get horrible grades. and just for future reference, AP and gifted arent the same, AP is a college level course in high school, i dont think you were taking college courses in 1st grade.

Paintball0308
09-14-2006, 07:46 PM
i guess you did the right thing by dropping down. you dont wanna push yourself too much and get horrible grades. and just for future reference, AP and gifted arent the same, AP is a college level course in high school, i dont think you were taking college courses in 1st grade.
My bad I mean honors, but its a bit harder classes than regular so its almost the same.

DFSniper
09-15-2006, 08:44 AM
yeah, my parents expect me to be like a friggin brainchild! they got pissed when i got out of Math Analysis last year so i could take AP English 11 (Language) instead of AP English 12 (Literature) because they wanted me to take AP Calc this year. well, they won that one because the vice principle and counselor said "you can take Lit without taking Lang" WRONG! she made that class so hard because they talked about all these books that me and my friends hadnt read yet! so this year, i took calc but it was only 3 people, so they decided to kick us out of that class to make room for another Geometry class! so now im stuck in an english class with a bunch of immature juniors and STILL have to take Calc in college!