PDA

View Full Version : AP English

Jimmyd24
09-07-2006, 02:20 PM
Does anyone here taken AP english, im taking it and were like three weeks in and the teacher wont teach us anything, she just gives us these worksheets and were supposed to like right all bout the syntactical devices used but she dosent even tell us wha that is nor does she go over it:mad:

Jimmyd24
09-07-2006, 02:25 PM
lol, i luv the way i spelled english

claustrophobia9
09-07-2006, 02:25 PM
irony...

Jimmyd24
09-07-2006, 02:27 PM
were supposed to give like 10 of them for each pasage, and like the only ones i know are irony, personification, simile, imagery, and thats it

claustrophobia9
09-07-2006, 02:38 PM
oh no, im talking about the irony of being in ap and not spelling english right.

durrell
09-07-2006, 02:40 PM
oh no, im talking about the irony of being in ap and not spelling english right.

lol I was going to say that..

Jimmyd24
09-07-2006, 02:58 PM
oh yea i know
i type like fast on the computer so i dont really type accurate

claustrophobia9
09-07-2006, 03:26 PM
i know when i type something wrong and i hit the backspace and keep typing... all while im looking away.

as for the things... its you're homework, not ours. your fault for taking AP.

colonel_moo
09-07-2006, 07:04 PM
i know when i type something wrong and i hit the backspace and keep typing... all while im looking away.

me too. even if im copying a written piece of paper and im staring at that the whole time, i can tell if i make a mistake, hit backspace the correct amount of times and continue typing.

bigred76
09-09-2006, 12:54 AM
I can type better than I write. I write the same things, but you can't read my handwriting at all. Last year I'd just put random things down on the piece of paper and turn it in. My teacher wouldn't bother checking what I wrote because it's too much effort to decifer it! :p

BTW, with work that seems like a BS assignment, it usually is. But do it anyways until you learn about her more until you can be sure she won't test you on the subject.

vwjimmy
09-09-2006, 06:25 AM
Thank you to the mod who fixed the title :)

vikingshadow
09-09-2006, 06:36 AM
**Edit - dang, I've been gone too long! Look what you guys made me do - I wrote a book again. Oh, well - it's a good read! :D I've been told my posts like these help students understand teachers a bit more, but really it's because I like to talk too much and have too many words in my head. They all have to get out or I explode, and it's a mess to clean up!

Well, I took AP English all through high school, and I happen to teach a watered down version of it to my middle school students. However, what a lot of my "AP Lite" kids might think as BS assignments are not in any way BS assignments (sorry RedBarron - I mean "Shamalanigan Assignments!")

ALL my assignments, whether it be review or a new concept, build on the previous lessons learned so that we finally get to the location I've got planned for them to reach all along. So while you may PERCEIVE it as a BS assignment, it may just be a rest stop along the way to the main objective. However, once you guys reach your later years in high school, new concepts are not all that new anymore, and you see it as something boring, or something you don't need to know although there is a purpose for it. Thing is, teachers don't have to tell you why they give you the assignment and a lot of times students don't usually understand until the final destination is reached.

Warning! Rant coming up - skip to bottom unless you want to read it!

Of course, there are teachers who give those assignments just because they don't want to work hard themselves, but then their own test scores would reflect that. Remember, although we hate it - ALL core subject teachers (science, math, reading and language arts) have to improve AYP yearly - Average Yearly Progress - scores among other things. Thanks to NCLB (No Child Left Behind) we have to improve upon last years scores, even if you weren't tested the year before.

Example - two years ago, two geography teachers at my middle school developed a program that in the end resulted in their students scoring a class average of 98 on the CRT tests at the end of the year. 98! Everyone was ecstatic! The next year, they got in a little trouble (not too bad) because their students scored a 95. Now, because their scores, although excellent and higher than most scores in the state, did not show AYP from last year - they actually were being told to look their program over and see what the problem is! By the way, if you find a teacher/administrator who likes NCLB, that teacher is either running for office, brand new or never going to be in a classroom - I personally hate it and think it's a stigma to all children (their own scores are being used to judge other students and that's just wrong...ok, I digress! Sorry!)

By the way, as a Language Arts teacher, this thread is killing me! You guys are yelling about his spelling of "English" yet there are words without capital letters and other incorrectly spelled words all through this thread. I'm like bigred though, I type MUCH better than I write! :p

Sorry for the long post. ;)

spyderpaintball
09-09-2006, 06:55 AM
If you think AP is hard just wait till college. :rolleyes:

vikingshadow
09-09-2006, 07:07 AM
Amen! Especially if you get a teacher like I had there...she was like 80 years old and I think she invented English!

bigred76
09-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Vike... 9/10 assignments I have done in the last week have been BS, busy-body work. Nothing educational about them, just something to stall the students while they get their **** in order. I can understand some while school is just starting, but this is just redic. Makes me want to run a science experiment to see how much force it'd take to shove my foot up their asses. Pardon my French. ;)

At my school, AP is just the same as regular English but you have to take the AP test at the end of the year.... if that's hard to any of them then they need to be put in remedial classes IMO.

And Vike, please SUMMARIZE. Your long posts are hurting my head on this Saturday afternoon! :crazy:

vikingshadow
09-09-2006, 03:01 PM
You're in AP English - deal with the long posts! :p

That was a summary..... :(

ross * pilot
09-09-2006, 03:53 PM
lol, im laughing at your grammar mistakes.

i type like fast on the computer and dont type accurate.

edit: i type fast on the computer and dont type accurately.

:/, sorry, im a grammar teacher.

TacTownKilla
09-09-2006, 04:05 PM
lol, im laughing at your grammar mistakes.

i type like fast on the computer and dont type accurate.

:/, sorry, im a grammar teacher.

L.O.L, I am laughing at your grammar mistakes.

Edit: I type fast on the computer and don't type accurately.

Sorry I'm just some kid who likes to correct someone who tries to correct another person while making their own mistakes.

vikingshadow
09-09-2006, 04:13 PM
Actually, that would be, "I'm laughing at your grammar mistakes!" and, "I type quite fast on the computer and because of this, I don't type accurately."

I'm a grammar AND a writing teacher.....now enough of the school and let's get back to business!

:devil:

TacTownKilla
09-09-2006, 04:18 PM
Actually, that would be, "I'm laughing at your grammar mistakes!" and, "I type quite fast on the computer and because of this, I don't type accurately."

I'm a grammar AND a writing teacher.....now enough of the school and let's get back to business!

:devil:

leave it to vike to come in and own us

vikingshadow
09-09-2006, 04:20 PM
LOL - I was feeling a bit ornery. Sorry about that!

ross * pilot
09-09-2006, 05:04 PM
ahhh i never use caps when typing.. whatever. well, i guess tac did make a correct statement. Vike pwns all

Jimmyd24
09-09-2006, 05:13 PM
my teacher dosen't really give us busywork, it's just that shes keeps on giving us similar assignments but has yet to go over them or teach us on what were supposed to do for them.

claustrophobia9
09-09-2006, 07:44 PM
anything passt the p, the q, and the space bar is a no fly zone for my fingers.

bigred76
09-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Vike, I'm actually in regular English. Two classes, really. Have to make a semester of two different classes up while doing my normal English on top of it. Senior year FTL.

DFSniper
09-11-2006, 08:32 AM
is it AP Lit or Lang? i took lit my junior year so i gotta take Lang this year. i hated my lit teacher, but i got a 3 on the exam. it was so easy, i was sure i did it wrong.