PDA

View Full Version : How to run DOS programs on XP?

WhatThaSmurf
09-06-2006, 07:32 PM
So the other day I remembered out of the blue a game I used to have on my first computer. I went and found it today, which took forever to find. Well it came out in 1994 a little while after Windows 95 (apparently OS follow the car rule for years) and it was run through MS-DOS. And for some reason, nothing is telling me how to either restart in DOS or run DOS programs on Windows XP. I really want to play this game, and it is making me angry.

UKwithPride
09-06-2006, 08:11 PM
You can download DOS onto a floppy disk and boot from the floppy. Put the game on the floppy with DOS.

phatphil
09-06-2006, 08:22 PM
I'm sure there's an emulator you could run in it inside XP.

calebh
09-06-2006, 08:44 PM
ahh, the price we pay for "stability" :rolleyes:

claustrophobia9
09-07-2006, 03:37 AM
dl dos onto a cd. shutdown, turn on hold f1, select boot priority then select cd drive. (with disk in) then exit the menu and it loads dos as the os. there may be a dos os included inside xp... im really not sure if it would open in command line but you could try by going to run and typing in "cmd" i really doubt it though.

ahh, the price we pay for "stability" :rolleyes: thats really wierd you said that cuz i just wrote an essay on the price we pay for stability about Brave New World

edit: how many people tried to click that?

http://irish.typepad.com/irisheyes/2004/04/xp_dos_emulator.html click this one xp dos emulator, follow 2-3 links for dl

JMotioN
09-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Yeah its easiest to put on a floppy.

edit: how many people tried to click that?

hehehe im at school and i was like i guess they disabled that at first

vwjimmy
09-07-2006, 08:45 AM
from the start button select run and type cmd

DFSniper
09-07-2006, 12:11 PM
:yeahthat:

try this (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/) i used it to play Arena (the first Elder Scrolls game)

claustrophobia9
09-07-2006, 02:06 PM
i thought u might be able to run it in cmd

DFSniper
09-11-2006, 08:44 AM
you should be able to.

one thing i shouldve thought of before is trying to run it with the Program Compatability Wizard (in Accessories).

WhatThaSmurf
09-13-2006, 02:13 PM
Oh, yeah, I got it. I used DOSbox, thanks DF.

calebh
09-14-2006, 05:43 PM
Yeah its easiest to put on a floppy.

ya, they dont put those on new compys anymore... i still havent figured out why. its the only disc format that can be read on every single computer around. unless of course, you dont have a floppy drive... then you should probly complain and go buy a usb flobby drive. you can only use cdrws like floppies, and those require whatever software you use to be on the other computer to read it. and those cool little flash drives only work on winblows 2000 and higher systems without drivers being installed.

EDIT: not to mention the fact that those cool little little flash drives cost buttloads more than floppies...

Nenkitsune
09-14-2006, 05:56 PM
cmd doesn't work a lot of times. you'd have an easier time putting dos on a cd or floppy. DOS BOX works ok, but i have problems with it sometimes. but it does work great