PDA

View Full Version : Old Newbie

BRASMAN
09-06-2006, 11:16 AM
I have been out of this sport since pumps were the rage back in 1988 and just picked up an MR1 and played with it Monday and have to say I love it. The MR2 or 3 are in the future some time. However I do have a question that is MR1 related but goes for any paintgun.

How many of you guys have used rifled barrels and how did they affect the flight of the balls? I am looking at getting a little longer barrel 14 or 16". Thanks for any help.

oldnewb
09-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Join the club Brasman. I went out and bought an MR1 because I couldn't stand the thought of bringing my poor Trracer to a game after a decade of storage. No regrets about the marker, except maybe I wish I popped the extra bucks for a MR2. It's a damn solid marker, but mounting scopes is a bit of a problem.

As for barrels, I went and got myself a 14" J&J ceramic, just in case I ever DID upgrade to a MR2 or MR3 (it's one of the few barrels that will fit through their weird shroud), and it is a tad more accurate... maybe not hugely so, but still, it's noticible(sp). I've already got a remote, and I plan on getting an EVOII loader and HPA next (I can outshoot the gravity feed on occasion, and HPA should make the occasional velocity spikes go away). Notice how all these upgrades are things I can easily bring over to any other paintball marker once I finally decide to upgrade.

That being said, the MR1 is a great marker, and I seem to be holding my own against the electronic fire hoses so far... probably because all that pump play back in the day taught me all about running, hiding, and picking my shots ;)

Voodoo27909
09-06-2006, 10:45 PM
The rifled barrels are a myth when it comes to paintballs.

DRAGON
09-07-2006, 12:20 AM
BM....welcome back to paintball........Ya rifled barrels are bs. Don't feed into the hype -

oldnewb..........throw an electronic trigger frame on the MR1 and voila, you basically have an MR2 -

BRASMAN
09-07-2006, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the replys. It sounds like every body that has the J&J likes it and it fits two guns I may get so I think I will go with it.

DRAGON
09-07-2006, 01:15 AM
All you get for so little funds, it's well worth the effort. I use my J&J on all my Spyder's -

BRASMAN
09-08-2006, 12:28 AM
Well I found a brand new 16" J&J on Amazon for $29. The 14" was more expansive and I know most people say the 16" does not help any more but for some reason I wanted the 16". The Bad news is I looked at an MR3 today and have to have one to go with my MR1. I also found a tilted scope mount that should work fine on an MR1 from Brownells that is actualy an AR15 rail. It is not very long but one of those red dots with only one mount should work fine and I think you could get a decent picture with your mask on.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=21382&s=

kamikazi_Stupid
09-08-2006, 10:12 AM
That mount is freaking SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome back.

Rifle barrels is BS.

MR1 like to have 14" or 12" barrels hooked up to them.

but 12" barrels make the marker loader. So no sniping for you.

IMO, High Preasure Air is the greatest upgrade for an MR1.

BRASMAN
09-08-2006, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the info. So how does the barrel not work on the MR1? Does it break balls? I have a couple other guns that the barrel can go on if it does not function properly.

oldnewb
09-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the info. So how does the barrel not work on the MR1? Does it break balls? I have a couple other guns that the barrel can go on if it does not function properly.

The only concern I've heard about the J&J is that you absolutely must attach the o-ring that it comes with onto the barrel, otherwise it has a tendancy to work itself loose. It works great on the MR1, and I've heard that it's just about the only barrel that will fit through the barrel shroud on the MR2 and MR3 (the other's I've *heard* work are the Apex and Lapco Big Shot, but make sure you try it out at your local paintball shop before you buy).

BRASMAN
09-11-2006, 01:04 AM
So are you saying that I need ti put the O-Ring that came on the factory barrel on the J&J?

oldnewb
09-11-2006, 07:49 AM
Well, there's an o-ring that comes with the J&J as well, although I nearly threw it out by accident since it was sitting separately at the bottom of the bag.

BRASMAN
09-11-2006, 12:56 PM
OH O.K. thanks for letting me know. Some times those little things in the bottom of the box slip my eye also.

TheRogueGnome
09-12-2006, 12:43 PM
welli have an empire twister14 and a 16" prog barrel and my rifled twister shoots .25% farther and twice as accurate

DRAGON
09-12-2006, 05:53 PM
welli have an empire twister14 and a 16" prog barrel and my rifled twister shoots .25% farther and twice as accurate

As what? Or is that what the ad says? -

BRASMAN
09-15-2006, 12:53 AM
Well I got my 16" J&J barrel today and like it so far but have not been able to run any paint through it yet.

Hawk
09-15-2006, 01:29 AM
They "say" that because with the rifled barrel you have less friction on the ball it would work better, and then they say it causes spin, but because of the dynamics of the paintball this is virtualy BS. Although you have less friction, you also have more air going past the ball, not behind it. its the smae princible behind ball to barrel match, if you have more air behind the ball it shoots faster because there is more force behind the ball. take a piece of pvc and put a marble in it, doesnt go far because the air is passing over the ball and theres nothing to push it; take something the same size of the pvc inside and it works.

Hope this explained and was fairly accurate (me not think good at 4 am).

Nenkitsune
09-15-2006, 04:11 AM
the paint to bore match of my twister isn't bad. i stick a ball in it and push it through, aim it at a light and look into it, pure darkness. it's not a tight fit either. to me it feels perfect (unlike scorch, which rolls out)

BRASMAN
09-15-2006, 09:44 AM
This is interesting. Why then does a lead BALL go better out of a barrel with riflings (muzzle loader) and the paintball does not? Is it because the paintball is not soft enough to dig into the riflings with out breaking unlike the lead ball?
If it drops your velocity can't you then just crank it up? I know lead balls are not perfectly round either. It makes me want to buy a rifled barrel and do a test with some pics with various brands of paint on targets. LOL Bench rest paintball shooting. I may just do it to satisfy my own curiosity because it either makes it more acccurate or it does not and I could settle it in my mind once and for all.

TheRedBarron
09-15-2006, 10:39 AM
It also has to do with the fact that the lead ball is solid, a paintball is filed with liquid that makes up most of its weight, the liquid will not spin, just the casing, so if most of the weight is not spinning it is working against the spin. thus slowing the ball down.

TheRogueGnome
09-15-2006, 11:23 AM
now that is true..the bad thing with the rifled is that every once in awhile ill get a stray ball that just goes crazy left, like an Apex barrel.that is a down fall..