PDA

View Full Version : Spider Pictures!

marvin-martian
09-04-2006, 02:51 PM
yay for photography! i like taking pretty pictures like these, but im not looking for photography to become a new hobby of mine.

this first one came up blurry for some reason, but i still feel like sharing.
http://img456.imageshack.us/img456/3006/920148ou5.jpg

the next one is my favorite from this set of shots, mainly because it came out half decent.
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/5486/920149ow1.jpg

the underbelly:
http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/6892/920150mz2.jpg

i know they arent that great, but i got bored. thanks for your time.

Nader
09-04-2006, 03:08 PM
I got the creeps just looking at that huge thing.

Nice pics though.

optionboarder81
09-04-2006, 03:26 PM
where do you live? the jungle? ive never seen spyders like that

marvin-martian
09-04-2006, 03:31 PM
ya, i live in cambodia

pbfreak3221
09-04-2006, 03:32 PM
I almost had the most amazing picture today, I was watering some bushes and there was this huge snack curled around a flower and both the snake and flower were glistening from my water, and i came back with my camera but the snake was gone... nice pics though

stylinbeaver
09-04-2006, 03:36 PM
I see them spiders all the time. They are BIG! We call them writing spiders becasue the way they make that thick web stuff. Nice pics though

DRAGON
09-04-2006, 03:59 PM
Teh pic was blurry because you were too close and it focused on the background. You can do this with fencing and similar things. Once too close the camera focuses on whatever is past it and most times omits the fencing. You'll notice the web is completely gone in that last pic. I suppose this would work on netting at tourneys as well. Never tried it though -

marvin-martian
09-04-2006, 04:15 PM
what can i do to correct it? just not zoom in as much, or back up or something? or would i have to buy a new lens?

claustrophobia9
09-04-2006, 04:33 PM
wtf! thats almost as bad as katt's

marvin-martian
09-04-2006, 04:38 PM
omg, i forgot about katts spider!!! omgomgomgomg eeewww!!

tigerdave714
09-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Writing spider indeed. I think its a breed of banana spider. We find them all over the southeastern US. My mom used to have tons of them in her garden. They really are beautiful.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n88/davidmoore714/P1000968.jpg

Here's a pic I took in early August, just outside of New Orleans. One day after work, we took a tour of the swamps and waterways outside of town. Banana spiders (same as the one in your picture) had woven a canopy of webs over the waterway. The combined web was at least 20 feet across (went all the way across the waterway). We saw at least 30 spiders total, but this shot of 3 is the best focus I could get.

DRAGON
09-04-2006, 04:45 PM
what can i do to correct it? just not zoom in as much, or back up or something? or would i have to buy a new lens?

Don't know what type of camera you have and what it's capabilities are. Most digital cameras have settings. My Pentax for instance has a flower sign that i set it to for close-ups such as what you were trying to capture on the 3rd pic. The setting for the others would have been different. Sounds like you just need to read the manual that came with the camera, take some experimentation pics and learn more about it. I can have the flower insignia on the screen and still have it come out blurry like that. It has a red or green bar in the center that tells me if it is though. Red means no and green means go -

MadMan66
09-04-2006, 06:54 PM
ya, it's a banana spider. i have 1 at my house too!

bamf-hacker
09-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Well I have one too :)

His name is Dave we had him at our front door for months and then one day he was just gone :(

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/8808/2005100225zu0.jpg (http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2005100225zu0.jpg)

R.I.P Dave

UKwithPride
09-04-2006, 08:57 PM
The mode that dragon is talking about is called macro.

Warnichek
09-05-2006, 07:19 AM
We tried to take a picture of one of those on our porch yesterday but it was so windy the camera wouldn't focus. The spider kept bouncing around. But I did throw a grasshopper in the web and watched the spider wrap that dude up. Quite cool.

tigerdave714
09-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Thats another cool thing about banana spiders (aside from the little zigzag they draw in their web). If you mess with their web or otherwise disturb them, often times they'll move to the center of the web and start pushing the web around. They'll make it sway back and forth in hopes to scare away any potential threats. Kinda cool to watch.

Ace24
09-05-2006, 10:23 AM

If you have a real camera and not just a point and shoot. Take the lense off of auto focus. Focus it on what you want, then snap the picture. It takes time and practice to get it right, but now I shoot with fully manual. (Well at least as manual as the digital cameras of today go) and I use an OLD Olympus OM-1 (this thing is what it means to be manual, manual reeling, manual focus, manual shutter speed, manual everything.)

shunut
09-05-2006, 10:42 AM
I'm sorry but if I had spiders like that living around my house I wouldn't be taking picutes I'd be killing them. Good pictures though, I especially like the on where it looks like 3 spiders are falling out of the sky.

Ace24
09-05-2006, 10:53 AM
They are spider ninjas...

Those spiders look cool though... knowing me I would be out there playing with them and throwing random bugs into their webs lol.

Darkh2o
09-05-2006, 11:33 AM
yay for photography! i like taking pretty pictures like these, but im not looking for photography to become a new hobby of mine...

PMed you.

DRAGON
09-05-2006, 01:57 PM
I'm sorry but if I had spiders like that living around my house I wouldn't be taking picutes I'd be killing them. Good pictures though, I especially like the on where it looks like 3 spiders are falling out of the sky.

You shouldn't kill spider's. They're part of the eco system no matter how they tcb. Spiders kill fly's, fly's eat ****, bug people and spread disease. Spider's don't bug anyone unless they feel threatened. Spider's>fly's..........

Speaking of bugs, I haven't seen 1 mosquito since I've been in Florida which sounds surprising since there is so much water here. There are tons of little lakes all around my neighborhood which should be a large scale breeding ground for mosquito's. I think I know why I haven't seen any mosquito's.....we have literally tons of these little lizzard's/Chameleon's around here. I mean they're everywhere. I think they keep the bug population in check. Here's one of the little guys I caught a pic of right outside of my place..........

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e356/dbn71mgd/lilbuddy.jpg

TacTownKilla
09-05-2006, 02:43 PM
First thing i did when i saw these pictures was look at your location, virginia beach, va, good im safe.

claustrophobia9
09-05-2006, 04:19 PM
omg wtf! too many spiders im not coming back in here... someone pm me if someone in here starts giving away candy or something.

shunut
09-05-2006, 04:29 PM
You shouldn't kill spider's. They're part of the eco system no matter how they tcb. Spiders kill fly's, fly's eat ****, bug people and spread disease. Spider's don't bug anyone unless they feel threatened. Spider's>fly's..........

At my house we usually only see 1 type of spider and thats the Black Widow, so anytime we see them we kill them. We have little kids at our house often and if one should get bitten by one it could be deadly. We also have scorpions and although they usually aren't deadly we kill them too.

Ace24
09-05-2006, 07:32 PM
I've only ever seen one black widow in NY... that thing scared the crap out of me. We dont have spiders that size or that poisenous up here. That was the only spider I have ever been afraid of.

opterasis
09-06-2006, 09:42 AM
I'm from Massachusetts, I've never seen a black widow before. I can't say I'd want them around here, but it would be cool just to see one in person, preferably behind glass. However, we do have brown recluse spiders, wich supposedly will pretty much rot off a good portion of the tissue where you get bit (havent figured out if its an urban legend or not) Heres a link of an alleged brown recluse spider bite (not for the faint of heart) http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp

shunut
09-06-2006, 10:01 AM
We have the brown recluses here but not many we also have Tarantulas. Next time I find a black widow, which is pretty regularly I'll take a picture before I squish it.

Dragon, I also wanted to add that we have a ton of lizards living in my backyard so they take care of the bugs for us, they are doing a good job too because some of them are getting pretty big.

pbfreak3221
09-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Ya I'm from mass but I've never hear d of those brown recluses all I usually see are daddy longlegs

Ace24
09-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Did you know that Daddy Longlegs are the most venomous spiders in the world? We are safe from them though because their mouths are too small to bite us. But studies show that one bite from one of those would cause instant death. Scary thaught....

Also, what does a brown recluse look like? Because it almost looks like that guys thumb needs to be amputated. I can't imagine the amount of pain he must be in...

MadMan66
09-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Also, what does a brown recluse look like? Because it almost looks like that guys thumb needs to be amputated. I can't imagine the amount of pain he must be in...

there is a link under the pic of the guys thumb with a pic of a brown recluse

stylinbeaver
09-06-2006, 01:32 PM
I'm not sure about the pics. If you look, it looks like the wound is bigger than his thumb. Maybe I'm just skeptical.

shunut
09-06-2006, 02:19 PM
I've worked in the medical field for a while and those pictures look believable. It just looks bigger because the tissue around the spot where he got bit is swollen. I got burnt on my legs and my feet swelled so much from them that I couldn't fit them into shoes, even ones 2-3 sizes bigger than what I normally wear. Thats what happens to tissue when it is traumatized

stylinbeaver
09-06-2006, 02:30 PM
I've worked in the medical field for a while and those pictures look believable. It just looks bigger because the tissue around the spot where he got bit is swollen. I got burnt on my legs and my feet swelled so much from them that I couldn't fit them into shoes, even ones 2-3 sizes bigger than what I normally wear. Thats what happens to tissue when it is traumatized
Well, I hope they aren't in the NC area. They probally are. I've seen a black widow before. That thing looked awesome. That red hour glass on it's belly.

claustrophobia9
09-06-2006, 02:54 PM
notice how the legend is undetermined. id say it isnt impossible, but the last pics are uber gross anyway.

SniperX
09-06-2006, 07:45 PM
we have mainly wolf spiders in Michigan..http://www.ento.okstate.edu/ddd/insects/wolfspider.htm we get them in the house in the fall.. usully find them in the shower.. and in the sinks.. i've seen only one black widow and there have been reports of recluse spiders a couple of times.. oh and the common House Spider.

Wolf Spiders also make good pets.. they are like mini tarantulas

claustrophobia9
09-07-2006, 03:50 AM
just to let you guys know... ive been sitting like 3 feet from my desk cuz i keep thinking one is on me....

ohio we get wolf spiders and these like wierd half-ling spiders that are like 3 inches in diameter and they look like a spider but jump like the distance of a grasshopper. i ususally throw a phonebook at it until i get lucky.

krogers got a big m'fin wolf spider that lived off of bees and flies under the flower area in front. every now and then it would be up on the wall, it was like a good 5 inches diameter.

atleast it isnt like katts... his was what? 6 inches and stood on its hind legs and hissed at him?

opterasis
09-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Did you know that Daddy Longlegs are the most venomous spiders in the world? We are safe from them though because their mouths are too small to bite us. But studies show that one bite from one of those would cause instant death. Scary thaught....

Not true. They did an experiment testing that on Mythbusters. One of the guys got bit quite a few times, and even though it hurt, with all the bites he got, he was fine.

stylinbeaver
09-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Not true. They did an experiment testing that on Mythbusters. One of the guys got bit quite a few times, and even though it hurt, with all the bites he got, he was fine.
I don't know man. I think your talking about a different spyder. I'm goin to agree with ace on this one. I've heard that there mouth is too small alot.

claustrophobia9
09-07-2006, 01:58 PM
http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/longlegs.htm ace is wrong... tis uber false. here.

opterasis
09-07-2006, 04:41 PM
I found this pretty interesting too....

Nationwide, some "brown recluse bites" were subsequently correctly diagnosed as Staphylococcus infection, Streptococcus ("flesh-eating bacteria") infection, Lyme disease, herpes simplex, diabetic ulcer, or bites from bedbugs, mites, ticks, small wasps, biting flies, or other spiders. (http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7468.html#MEDICAL)

Lyingcomic
01-26-2007, 09:53 PM
nice big spiders, wouldnt wanna wake up wiht one on ure face

JailBreakJIm
01-27-2007, 04:52 AM
Hey man I live in Chesapeake and I see those spiders EVERYWHERE!!!!
They are so freaky looking.
nice pictures BTW.

vikingshadow
01-27-2007, 04:55 AM
Mk, before you guys go digging up long dead posts, you might want to look at the date of the last post in the thread (located in the upper left corner of the post box.) There's no law against it, but it's sort of frowned on as improper forum netiquette on any forum!

So, before this gets to burning from the ensuing flames, I'm just gonna close this down.