PDA

View Full Version : poor-mans windows?

claustrophobia9
09-02-2006, 06:39 PM
uh well i have a budget for building my computer and i hit it so close that i dont have enough money for an OS, i dont want linux and i dont want to steal expensive software. so here is my plan i just need to know from people if it will work if you forsee any problems in it:

windows vista beta + open office for XP (www.openoffice.org)

i was just wondering if the vista beta has the backwards compatibility with windows XP software. eventually i would relocate saved files, wipe my HD then install the real (bought) home edition of windows vista (its the cheapest, since all the other parts (ie ms office) are replaced easily)

durrell
09-02-2006, 06:44 PM
Yeah the Vista Beta will expire June of next year.

I think Dre said something about openoffice awhile back, so I'm assuming he backs it up..

claustrophobia9
09-02-2006, 09:33 PM
it will "expire"? so does that mean my pc just crashes in june? or they wave their fingers at me for not deleting it? either way, i dont plan on it being that perminant.

openoffice > office and costs nothing.

i just need to know whether vista runs xp programs without a ton of issues.

durrell
09-02-2006, 09:40 PM
Yes you can run XP programs in "Compatibility Mode" in Vista.

I'm not sure what happens when it expires..

claustrophobia9
09-02-2006, 09:45 PM
i know to boot off cd/dvd you press f1 when you turn on the computer. but if im building it will it still do that?

calebh
09-02-2006, 10:50 PM
ya, open office is the bombizzle. and you dont have to worry about file types between your compy and others all that much, cuz open office comes with about 5 trillion different types of file formats to save in.

the boot sequence thing is controlled by the bios, so it should do it. should... you could always change the settings if it doesnt. and im not entirely sure, but if theres no OS installed on the comp, i think it will go to the cd drive anyway.

SniperX
09-02-2006, 10:51 PM
Yes you can run XP programs in "Compatibility Mode" in Vista.

I'm not sure what happens when it expires..

same thing that happens when u dont register your windows xp cd key after installing a copy of XP onto your computer.. u get the log in and it basiclly doesnt let u log in until u register a cd key.. for Vista i think they will want u to purchase a cd key or full copy of the os.:)

DFSniper
09-03-2006, 02:47 AM
what i read was that Vista Beta is only an upgrade (meaning you can't boot from CD). other than Ubuntu/Linux, i dont think theres anything out there except bumming XP Pro off of somebody...

open office is supposed to be really good (one of my mags gave it a 5/5. i think its supposed to be better than office)

calebh
09-03-2006, 06:25 AM
ya it is... its a free download, too. that by itself kicks microsofts butt

claustrophobia9
09-03-2006, 12:53 PM
ya it is... its a free download, too. that by itself kicks microsofts butt
by that logic notepad > office... :rolleyes:

durrell
09-03-2006, 01:11 PM
You can boot from CD to install vista on a blank hard drive, as far as I know. It's not just an upgrade.

.21'[~tw!tch*
09-03-2006, 03:15 PM
it will "expire"? so does that mean my pc just crashes in june? or they wave their fingers at me for not deleting it?

HAHAHA :shameonyou: that was So funny. Thats Going On my other forum Board Under funny quotes.

.;p3ace:.

Sandman_Bravo
09-03-2006, 04:53 PM
I find inexpensive windows at Grossman's bargain outlet, sometimes they're quality argon filled double pane.

claustrophobia9
09-03-2006, 06:49 PM
and when the real vista comes out i dont need the emulation mode to run xp stuff do i? cuz id like to have my xboxconnect running all the time so i dont have to put my songs on the box's HD

vikingshadow
09-04-2006, 04:10 AM
I find inexpensive windows at Grossman's bargain outlet, sometimes they're quality argon filled double pane.

Hahaha! I get it - and was thinking the same thing when I read the title...minus the Grossman's bargain outlet.

I watch too much This Old House.

jcrazyjj
09-04-2006, 11:49 AM
not to hijack ur thread, but what do i have to do to install vista beta?? do i have to wipe the hdd clean or something. i have xp right now.

claustrophobia9
09-04-2006, 02:14 PM
not to hijack ur thread, but what do i have to do to install vista beta?? do i have to wipe the hdd clean or something. i have xp right now.
make sure you have admin status
put it on a dvd
put the dvd in a dvd player on your comp
turn off your computer
turn it on while holding f1
change boot settings to dvd drive
run it

or you can put it on your HD and waste alot of time.