PDA

View Full Version : Statute of Limitations on threads

Mech Warrior
09-01-2006, 07:45 AM
I've noticed there are some folks who take exception with others "resurrecting" what they consider to be "old" or "dead" threads. Why is that?

I've been doing the online forum/bulletin board/newsgroup thing for nearly 20 years, and this is the first place I've seen this attitude displayed.

What's the big deal if someone replies to a thread whose last post was 6 weeks or 6 months ago? Would you rather have multiple threads on the same subject?

On one hand, we encourage people to use the search feature, in order to avoid multiple threads asking the same noob questions over and over; and on the other hand, we chastise folks for replying in the threads they find as a result of the search.

Just doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe someone can explain this to me.

colonel_moo
09-01-2006, 07:57 AM
it isnt a problem if they actually contribute something to the thread, or ask a legitimate question. where the problem comes in is when they make meaningless /stupid comments. we dont need a thread upped after the topic has been beaten dead with a stick (which they usually are at this forum), all it does is clutter the forum.

Mech Warrior
09-01-2006, 08:09 AM
I completely agree with that. We should all strive to stay on-topic.

Maybe I didn't look closely enough at some of the responses.

splaturout
09-01-2006, 08:15 AM
The reason they got on your case is because you brought back to life something that is most likely already sold! IF the seller still had the item and wanted to still sell don't you think the SELLER would up the thread? You asked a question on items that were sold or are no longer for sale! If you want to know why don't you just PM the person? That way you are not bothering the CURRENT sellers and buyers. That was the reason they got on your case.

I upped a thread about wearing googles, which I think everyone knows you should, but needs to be re-enforced every so often as new people come in. I got banned for doing it! The reason behind that was because if everyone did that there would be mad ups all over the place for each thread someone thought was important! So the answer to your question there is they prefer threads being re-posted and re-posted again rather than being up'd!

So don't revive old threads...just make new ones with the same info or topic otherwise you will get your head bitten off. If it has to do with sales...PM the person if it is old!

Mech Warrior
09-01-2006, 08:16 AM
I didn't do it! I would never resurrect an old thread! :D

Brings up a good point, though. If it's a forum rule, it ought to documented somewhere.

Sac
09-01-2006, 09:59 AM
its not a rule, more of a guideline, its just annoying for other people when they see it and go "oh hey new thread" only to say "wow this looks really familiar" and then they look at the dates and go "WTFM8"

Ace24
09-01-2006, 10:07 AM
its not a rule, more of a guideline, its just annoying for other people when they see it and go "oh hey new thread" only to say "wow this looks really familiar" and then they look at the dates and go "WTFM8"

:yeahthat:

Although someone brought back Timmyshooters old Profiler SE sales thread and hes still selling them aparently. Haha.

Mech Warrior
09-01-2006, 10:10 AM
its not a rule, more of a guideline, its just annoying for other people when they see it and go "oh hey new thread" only to say "wow this looks really familiar" and then they look at the dates and go "WTFM8"The solution for that is to look at the dates first.

splat's reasoning makes more sense.

Hossy
09-01-2006, 10:48 AM
honestly, i dont look at the date, because i just go to new posts, and see what they all are, and then if i dont recognize them, i usually click on them anyways to see what they are.

if i go down to the bottom and its like, zomg so a 21 snipzorz barrel isnt good? then ill look at the post count and the dates, because usually people who have like one post count make the mistake of posting in an old thread.
because there new

Mech Warrior
09-01-2006, 10:57 AM
mistake of posting in an old thread.
But that's what I'm asking: why do you consider it a mistake to post in an "old" thread?

Hossy
09-01-2006, 12:08 PM
there are some old threads that should be read everyday, by new people, or just rules. there are also some threads that should not beed seen after awhile, for example,

http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=198

oldest thread on the FST area, if someone went and upped that, id shoot them, because that person doesnt seem to come on here at all. also, i doubt he has it

http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=1

that is an example of something that should be read, like any stickie, because that is very informational

durrell
09-02-2006, 10:19 AM
Silly nubs, no one reads stickies. :nododgy:

Hossy
09-02-2006, 10:42 AM
i used the sticky as an example of something important....

noone really reads stickies, but noobs should so they dont post pointless threads

vikingshadow
09-02-2006, 12:23 PM
As far as I'm concerned, I don't mind threads being up'd so long as what is said in the up is relevant to the thread. Just because you think it's worthy of an up, it may not be to others. If all you do is throw a smilie in there that says "yeah that" or just say "up" or some similar thing - that's not relavent and is a waste of time and bandwidth.

I know that if I haven't read a thread and it's 20 pages long, I'm NOT interested in reading one that has a "Yeah, that" smilie as a response to the thread that's been dead for more than 3 weeks. In those cases, I feel you're just post whoring and that's crap because we end up with threads like this.

However, if you're cruising the past threads and find one from a year ago and have something interesting or important to say that's on topic, in my mind, go for it! There's nothing wrong with that...

bamf-hacker
09-07-2006, 05:12 AM
ok here is my interpretation of when it is ok and not ok to post in a older thread.

Not ok:
*Someone asking a question, ex. How do I take the Feedneck off my Rodeo? The question has been answered by 10 different people in the thread. Don't bring it back to life 2 months later to say "take the 2 screws out and it will come off" It has already been answered and you are just cluttering the thread.
*Bringing back an old thread to ask a new question, ex. same as above, but new post says: What feedneck should I replace it with. In this case start a new thread.
*Any sales thread that is no longer being up'd by the seller. If it is an old thread and you want to see if the item is still for sale PM the seller. We already get lots of sales threads and if someone needs a part off of a 3 month old thread it clutters things up to post "I want the ball detent, if you still have it"
*any thread talking about a dated event. No need to post a "wow i missed it" post on something that was over 5 months ago.

OK:
*A question is asked and the answer was not given. You may be able to shed some light on something so post away. We get new users everyday and with that comes a new knowledge bank.
*A post with valuable information that you have not posted in before or that you can contribute to.
*Review threads if you can add to the review of if you have experience with the item
*Picture posts if you have questions about something posted, like "I love you marker, what kind of ASA is that?" This one can also be sent to PM. If you feel your question is one another user might ask post it up.

Thats all for now... If you have a doubt whether to post of not then DON'T and ask a mod.