PDA

View Full Version : best way to get anodizing off

conradl
08-31-2006, 02:26 PM
OK, I am sick of my all black imagine and want to get the anodizing off of it, but everything i try it cant get it fully off. I have tried hand sanding it, using a file, and using a power sander but I can't get it completly stripped and I can't get the the little cracks and crevases at all. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Baozer
08-31-2006, 02:42 PM
sandblasting o_O?

ooglieboogliebob
08-31-2006, 03:20 PM
Draino should work.

conradl
08-31-2006, 03:47 PM
how do you do the draino, jus put the whole thing in? or use sandpaper? Any HElp?

Thank you all!!!

ooglieboogliebob
09-01-2006, 01:29 PM
just rub draino on the body ... if you want you can submerge it, but remember the inside tubes gonna have faded/removed anno as well.

Baozer
09-01-2006, 03:06 PM
does it really matter if the inside tubes get faded or removed anno? :) this idea seems so much smarter then mine that i wanna do it just for the hell of it

vwjimmy
09-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Rub it on....USE THICK RUBBER GLOVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
agitate with super fine steel wool...
neutralize with baking soda and rinse

Baozer
09-01-2006, 03:44 PM
dang it.. got all confusing.. now im too lazy to do it >.>

Total90Oliver
09-01-2006, 05:51 PM
its some special name brand crystal thingies u can use that rub it off, and after u should polish it, for more info go to: pbnation and go to the kingman stickies and go to spyder mods it should be there

Paintball0308
09-01-2006, 05:57 PM
Oliver I just used that for the frame to get the paint off. The frame is not anodized. I dont even think its metal. Its called steel wool what your talking about and if you used it by itself it would take about a week to take the anodizing off, its the same thing as sanding.

DRAGON
09-01-2006, 06:36 PM
I say take it to a pro and let them handle it. I always see this draino thing come up and just be ready for burnt skin, eyes, holes in your clothes, breathing the nasty fumes and possibly a blackened pitted ****ed up body once you're done. If you get it in the internals you screw up the tolerences which aren't good to begin with. A pro can plug up the internals with rubber plugs to prevent them from being ruined then remove the anodizing professionally -

thechubbss12
09-01-2006, 08:14 PM
EHh Lye... is dangerous.... Lye= the stuff draino is made of.... It eat flesh and can destroy you physicly. I would not suggest using it... but if you must then use heavy rubber gloves.... wear saftey GOOGLES (not glasses), and a filtered face covers so you dont breath in the fumes...

Ehh sanding it or sand blasting it is your best bet

conradl
09-01-2006, 08:22 PM
Thank you all for you answers also to change the topic alittle (don't want to make another thread) Where is the best and cheapest place to get powder coating done. I have already researched anodizing and it is really expensive. Also is powder coating any cheaper and is it as durable?

Thank you for you help

Total90Oliver
09-02-2006, 06:01 AM
he is talking about the body not the frame, the body probably is anodized i cant imagine what it would like like after a month worth of games if it wasnt

Paintball0308
09-02-2006, 06:52 AM
I know im telling you that the frame is not anodized thats why it came off so easily. the body is anodized thats why it would take about a week to do it with steel wool and it would probably come out crappy.

thechubbss12
09-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Humm for paintball markers... annodising is your best bet... Because powder coating does chip when a well done anno job wont... Anno is also more durable....

IMO powder coating for paintball markers is a bad idea....

shunut
09-02-2006, 10:57 AM
I wouldn't get your gun powder coated either. Anodizing is the way to go. I'd use Precision Paintball.

stylinbeaver
09-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Also, I've asked about getting the trigger frame annoed and they said that because of the poor metal that the trigger frame is made from that you couldn't do it. But, the body should be able to get annoed. Powder coating is like the cheaper version. Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the ion frame powder coated??? And you can tell by the way that it scraches easily.

durrell
09-02-2006, 03:45 PM
I'm not sure if matte annodizing is powdercoating or not..

Recon by Fire
09-02-2006, 04:58 PM
http://files1.turbosquid.com/Preview/Content_on_1_11_2004_07_41_31/HandGrinder.jpg2FB83F00-9467-47BD-B5986DE6898446E4.jpgLarge.jpg

Nenkitsune
09-02-2006, 08:16 PM
I'm not sure if matte annodizing is powdercoating or not..
powdercoating and anno'ing are to completly seperate things. anodizing creates an aluminum oxide coating on and in the metal. powdercoating is a form of paint that is sprayed on a basically staticaly charged piece of metal as a powder, then baked till it's hard. you can get aluminum powdercoated if you want that type of a look. i think it would work best for trigger frames. the problem is, you can't get it inside the gun, it'll cause problems due to the thickness of powdercoating. you'd have to re-thread all the holes to get out the coating so you can put the gun back together. somethin like that XP