PDA

View Full Version : A few question about Painting?

conradl
08-28-2006, 09:28 PM
OK, so I was looking around on otters site and saw the painting section, but I still have a few questions.

1) what type of paint and what is the best brand for a glossy finish ( spray paint, hand painted etc.)

2) Is the baking really part that important

3) What is the best type of primer to use

4) What is the best sealer so it is more durble

thanks and sorry for all the questions

DRAGON
08-28-2006, 09:45 PM
Scuff up the whole surface well with like a 600 grit sandpaper and use Rust-oleum. It's the toughest paint I've found. I never cook my paint and it's not a real good idea if you have a gas stove IMO. When I use Rust-oleum I apply 3 - 4 coats and let it hang for about a week or so w/o touching it with my fingers. Use coat hangers to hang it from rafters or such. Don't just lay it on newspaper. When on coat hangers you have the optoin of moving it w/o touching it with your fingers. You can tell if it's completely dried by smelling it. When it no longer has even a hint of solvent smell, it's completely dried. I'm patient when it comes to stuff like this. Seems some people aren't. I always get complements on my 98c's paintjob.

conradl
08-28-2006, 09:55 PM
thanks that was very helpful and basically cleared up alot of my questions

JimJr
10-18-2006, 05:56 AM
Sorry to dig up an old topic but I have a question that relates to this.

I painted a 05 Imagine LPChamber gloss black (I followed DRAGON's steps in post #2 but I didn't use Rust-oleum) and the surface of the part is rough and feels/looks textured. I was almost 90* outside when I painted the part and it was a little humid, but it's always humid here. I wanted a smooth glossy finish to match the rest of my gun. What can I do now to achieve this?

RomeNYRR
10-18-2006, 06:46 AM
Scuff up the whole surface well with like a 600 grit sandpaper and use Rust-oleum. It's the toughest paint I've found. I never cook my paint and it's not a real good idea if you have a gas stove IMO. When I use Rust-oleum I apply 3 - 4 coats and let it hang for about a week or so w/o touching it with my fingers. Use coat hangers to hang it from rafters or such. Don't just lay it on newspaper. When on coat hangers you have the optoin of moving it w/o touching it with your fingers. You can tell if it's completely dried by smelling it. When it no longer has even a hint of solvent smell, it's completely dried. I'm patient when it comes to stuff like this. Seems some people aren't. I always get complements on my 98c's paintjob.
off topic but can i see some pix please :) ?

Ace24
10-18-2006, 07:40 AM
I have experience with the painting process myself. I dont know if you've seen my Fenix body, but I get compliments on it alot. Most people think its an anno job.

Basicly to achieve what you want you have to sand down the paint you just put on, if its humid out, (Wich you say it always is... I dont see how, you live in TX. Up here in Upstate NY its humid 24/7 and probably more humid then down there) then wait for a less humid day, and use the high quality Rust-oleum.

One suggestion. This time use rust-oleum primer (3 coats of that) then let it fully dry. Scuff the primer a little, then put 4 coats of black paint on. Dont put the coats on thick or you might get pilling *wich from what your describing sounds like you did* put on light coats. Don't worry about covering the entire thing with the first coat. If there are sections slightly uncovered, your other 3 coats will cover it.

When that is finished and dried (usually 24 hours with Rust-oleum) put on 2 clear coats of enamel. This will protect it and prevent it from flaking/chipping for the most part. After that has dried you have two options. Use the baking process (Wich I did with a GAS oven... just stay in the same room and make sure there are no fumes from the paint *so wait 24 hours again or so*)

It should come out great if you are patient.

PWNDuAgain
10-19-2006, 09:31 AM
Why don't you just send the body to any one of the thousands of places to get it anodized? Then it would at least have a professional job on it.

Darkh2o
10-19-2006, 09:55 AM
Why don't you just send the body to any one of the thousands of places to get it anodized? Then it would at least have a professional job on it.

It's all about doing it yourself, taking pride in what you do and experimenting with something different.

JimJr
10-19-2006, 09:57 AM
PWNDuAgain, I have NO idea who you are refering your question to but if it is toward be I'm only painting a little 3"x3/4" part. I think it would be a waste to get this one part ano'd.

PWNDuAgain
10-19-2006, 10:39 AM
nah not you JimJr. That Fenix body is something that should have been professionally anno'd

Ace24
10-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Maybe I didnt have the money to get it annoed? I am going to get it annoed after I buy my Nintendo Wii. Or whenever the paint on it starts to flake/chip.