PDA

View Full Version : What gun next?

spyderimagine01
08-27-2006, 09:48 AM
So yesterday was my birthday (played paintball with some friends at a local field). I took my Spyder Imagine, which I thought was charging all night and about 4 hours before we went. Turns out my gun didn't charge at all. I'm fed up with all the problems i've had with this gun.

I have $200 so any opinions on a gun I should buy (something that wont require cleaning and attention everyday would be nice)?

stylinbeaver
08-27-2006, 10:05 AM
New ion, or used with some ups. Or a used promaster. That's just my opinion

pb34
08-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Any paintball gun that you get will require cleaning and maintenance. The ion might be a good option to look into in the 200$ range.

spyderimagine01
08-27-2006, 10:26 AM
I know it will require that... but I dont have but a little amount of time in my day to dedicate to my gun

pb34
08-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Well IMO Spyders are rather easy to take car of since all it requires is a quick lube and cleaning after you play. You could take a look at a pilot or a fenix. I've only had one problem on my pilot and that's the bolt hitting the dust cap and I believe that the new pilots have a modified dust cap. If you got one of those two guns you would still have some extra money for ups.

splaturout
08-27-2006, 10:51 AM
Go to Durrell and see what is on his site! He has good deals, and good guns for sale!!

bigred76
08-27-2006, 11:04 AM
IMO, an Ion would be your best bet if you don't want a lot of maintenence. Not knocking on my Promaster, but it was a ****ing ***** to get the ram out, which you need to do to completely clean it. With the Ion, if you have a leak, it's an o-ring. Just a matter of which one. ;) I'd say used and upped from PBN, or new and shiny from Durrell @ CarolinaPBS.

You will need to anti-siphon your CO2 tank if that's what you're using. The SP noid could probably handle the straight CO2 from the bottle for a little bit, but I wouldn't trust it, especially when noids run upwards of $50. If you already have HPA, then don't worry about it.

stylinbeaver
08-27-2006, 11:44 AM
I wouldn't recomind co2 in an ion. Even if it's anti-syphoned. Check out Carolina Paintball supply. If they don't have something your looking for, send durrell a PM. He has somethings that he does have up on the site.;)

bigred76
08-27-2006, 11:48 AM
I wouldn't reccommend it for a long period of use, but I know it'll work. The SP noids are pretty damn hearty, lol.

Ace24
08-27-2006, 09:15 PM
If you dont want to maintain a gun. DO NOT BUY AN ION. They require that you keep them in tip top shape or they are likely to break down, as is any higher end marker.

I would suggest just upgrading your Imagine. With $200 you can make that gun a beast.

Or you can go down another path, save up your money and get a used Shocker or Timmy.

Hell, why not turn your Imagine into a Spimmy!? But keep in mind, any gun that you buy, your going to have to do matenence on. Spyders or Tippmans might require less matenence and will withstand more rubble in them before they break down, as other guns, mainly higher end markers will break down easily with out matenence. IMO Upp the Imagine or save up for a better gun then the ION. Since your used to a stacked tube gun, maybe you should go down the path of another stacked tube. Timmy/Spimmy FTW.

bigred76
08-27-2006, 10:31 PM
Hmm, another thought occured to me as well. You could get an Automag. If you save another $100 or sell your marker you could get a nice ULE. Those beasts NEVER break down. Trust me, I've tried... lmfao... Trigger pull is heavy unless you get a ULT, and those sometimes don't work on Classic Valved markers. But, there are other options, I'm just too lazy to list and explain all of them right now. Just something to look into. ;)

Ions are a cinch to maintain, anyone not able to do it needs to be taken into a gun handling course. Or dragged out behind the barn and shot, depending on my mood. :D

conradl
08-27-2006, 11:04 PM
is the promaster that hard to take care of? it would be my second gun, and I have already mastered taking apart and maintaining my imagine 05', Also which gun is easier to take care the promaster or an Ion. I also dont want to completly baby my gun so would the promaster be a good choice or the Ion.

Thanks,

sorry if i hijacked ur thread.

Sandman_Bravo
08-28-2006, 03:27 AM
I agree with Ace, upgrade your gun. If you go low pressure and get a descent trigger set-up, that thing will rip ropes of paint and seem like a different-new marker to you. Spyders are really simple to breakdown compared to some other markers out there, so maintenance isn't that big of a deal. Like others said before me; paintball guns require cleaning and maintenance. If you don't have 5 minutes after each day of play to do that- your in the wrong sport.

bamf-hacker
08-28-2006, 05:00 AM
guys we are missing the point of his original post. He does NOT want to keep his Spyder.

Being an Ion Owner, I am biased. I would go for the Ion. It is a good gun, easy to maintain (read the manual) and works very well.

As you grow with your gun there are endless upgrades for it.

However, it says you can use anti-siphoned C02 with the Ion, I would not, and most definitely not regular C02. If you get liquid C02 into your gun you mine as well go buy a new board. Of course if you already have HPA then you are good to go.

So with that said, take your $200 and get a HPA tank (if you don't already have one) and try to see what is wrong with the Imagine, then as soon as you have $190 go to CPS and get a BNIB Ion from D, and if you already have HPA just get the Ion now from D.

You wont regret it.

durrell
08-28-2006, 10:12 AM
Ions do not require regular maintenance anymore than any other guns..most errors with an Ion are STUPID user errors. Stuff like trying to use a Revvy on ramping mode and getting paint all in the board and eyes..I say go for the Ion even if you buy used.