PDA

View Full Version : Reality TV and a bad light for paintball...

bamf-hacker
08-23-2006, 07:09 PM
So I was watching TV with my wife, who loves all reality TV shows, and an episode of Road Rules/Real World Challenge on MTV comes on.

They had to go through an obstacle course and one of the obstacles was the players having to shoot 5 or 6 targets with what looked like very old Tippman 98s. The guns were all taped up and look like they have been around the block a few times.

Here is the part that angered me.... They had to wear goggles, yeah MTV, but they were the cheap shop type goggle that you get from Home Depot, ARRGGGGHHH MTV.

It was nice to have some Paintball coverage on TV, but at least use proper gear and protection.

Discuss....

Hossy
08-23-2006, 07:13 PM
paintball needs some good 'light'. so many people think that its not that safe, but as long as u do what ur supposed to, its fine.

Paintball should have a group of people that do something about the bad Public stuff they get

vwjimmy
08-23-2006, 07:25 PM
It wouldn't have taken much research to get some masks......
I can see some kids switching to those goggles and getting hurt...
Bad form.

Ace24
08-23-2006, 07:47 PM
Yeah how much do you want to bet that in a few days, MTV is going to get sued... :( Oh well...

*idea*

Hey! Maybe I should get shot "in the face" by a paintball gun while wearing those! THEN I COULD SUE THEM AND MAKE MAJOR $$$$!

*greedy face*

Maybe not... :dodgy:

calebh
08-23-2006, 08:34 PM
didnt someone try to start some kind of a group to get some positive press for paintball a long while back? it may be time to try to start one again... like write articles and press releases and things over charity events and that kind of stuff and send em to newspapers all over the country... i know our local paper would run that kind of stuff if someone would write it. if we had enough major paintball events in our area.

vikingshadow
08-24-2006, 04:55 AM
Ah, fact is, MTV has previously used markers on their shows WITH the proper gear. So this just shows it's all about the show and making money, not the safety. Also, the contestants signed waivers BEFORE they took part in the show so if they got hurt, it would have been edited and no money would have changed hands because of the contract.

If I remember right, they cover themselves at the beginning of ANY reality show saying something like "These stunts should not be performed with proper supervision and safety equipment" or something like that.

Paintball will NEVER been shown the way we want it simply because you are pointing a "gun" at someone and shooting them with it, regardless of safety. In light of the wars going on, in light of school shootings, etc., the public is not ready to see a sport that uses a "gun" to shoot someone, no matter what. Yes, 9 million people played the sport a few years ago - yet there are 250 million people in the US, and 5 BILLION people in the world - the numbers just aren't there to overcome the "violence" of the sport.

Personally, I'd prefer that it stay in obscurity because we're something special that way...

pbfreak3221
08-24-2006, 07:34 AM
Yes I saw this episode aswell, and It bugged me someone should write to MTV

yamaha cow
08-24-2006, 08:05 AM
yah does anybody know how to gety ahold of them.

DRAGON
08-24-2006, 10:07 AM
yah does anybody know how to gety ahold of them.

mtv.com :rolleyes:

pbfreak3221
08-24-2006, 10:17 AM
:lolsign:

Paintball0308
08-24-2006, 06:15 PM
I saw that episode. I get what your saying and it is bad cause I can see someone wearing goggles because they were using them on t.v.

applesauce
08-24-2006, 07:47 PM
you guys ever see the espn stuff...they had it on OLN for a bit too...tourny stuff???

Baozer
08-27-2006, 06:25 AM
o_O ya know... like 10 year olds watch mtv also :( i hope some ten year old doesnt decide to go to home depot and buy some 5 dollar googles and play paintball in his backyard with them...

Maxx-Damage
08-27-2006, 08:13 AM
On mythbusters they did the ultimate-myth-buster and used pb guns as a pain tester(yes they worn a mask and those white suites as protection)-they shot each other then took a step forward...Kinda funny but didnt seem like a good light for the sport:(

vikingshadow
08-27-2006, 09:03 AM
I saw that episode - laughed my butt off because they turned the speed down to about 220 fps and the one guy was whining like a little girl! They explained what happened when a paintball hit you - it was pretty interesting...

bigred76
08-27-2006, 11:07 AM
I missed that part of the episode (where they explained it) but I dropped a bucket of Quickrete on my foot gettin' to that TV for them shooting each other. I was laughing... after being bunkered and overshot in the head, 3 shots to the stomach is NOTHING. Hell, I wish I knew where they were filming (I know it's in my area, have yet to track them completely down, but they have shows from places in my general vicinity) so I can watch next time.

pbfreak3221
08-27-2006, 11:20 AM
wait what show was it I think I saw it

bigred76
08-27-2006, 11:41 AM
It was the first Mythbusters on last night.