View Full Version : product vs. player

calebh
08-19-2006, 09:56 AM
found a good article on 68caliber.com. enjoy

http://www.68caliber.com/features/editorials/story041899.php

timmyshoota
08-19-2006, 10:14 AM
I don't like the article at all.

Look at major companies in sports. Do they all just sponsor top teams? No. Winning teams may be a good advertisement for a company, but so are losing teams. Any team out there is advertisement. Some guy who browses galleries from events sees a lot of teams using certain markers, and it'll stick with him.

I also think its bull that they think its all about the product that makes everyone buy them. Let's look at the top masks: VForce Profiler, E-Ventz and Proflex. All 3 of those are popular because of performance. Proflexes are also popular because of the customization is limitless, but of course that will attract people. Everything that they'd group into that "being the cool thing" group, also performs. Its not like people are buying lesser products because of hype. They are chosing one top product over another top product because of hype. Thats business, and I dunno if 68caliber knows this, but paintball is a business.

Hossy
08-19-2006, 10:18 AM
geezus christ, you coverd basically what i thought chris

timmyshoota
08-19-2006, 10:23 AM
geezus christ, you coverd basically what i thought chris
;) You know how I do.

TheRedBarron
08-19-2006, 10:46 AM
I am the owner of 3 high end markers, a Eventz goggle system, and angel apparel. With that being said, I did not buy any of this stuff to be cool, I bought all of it for the sake of having the best equiptment to suit my needs. All 3 of my guns are different but they all contain many of the same qualities, they are all small, light, fast,consistant, little to no kick, and smooth shooting, not to mention the electronics are unmatched. People buy high end gear and high dollar gear like Timmyshoota said not to be "cool" but to supply them with the best gear.

vikingshadow
08-19-2006, 11:14 AM
I totally agree, but I also have to say although I bought my high end stuff for the same reasons as TheRedBarron, there is a bit of coolness factor in having it. It just goes with the territory of buying the high end stuff - I mean, I didn't buy it for that reason, but its pretty cool when everyone else thinks it's cool.

Other than that (I didn't read the link by the way - getting dirty looks from the wife so I have to hurry...) I only buy for performance and ease of use - not for coolness or because of hype...you guys know how hard I am to be convinced of something, especially buying something. If I bought it, it's for a reason!

chubb0rz
08-19-2006, 12:52 PM
Hm didnt like that article at all. Bugged me because they make it seem like paintball is the only sport to use this type of marketing scheme. And what you really get with expensive gear is not fashion and coolness but its quality.

Granted that can be argued, but yes I have bought most of my gear from seeing it ads because if it works for the pros why not for me. I know it will not upgrade my skill but I will be able to focus more on my game skills knowing I have reliable gear.

DRAGON
08-19-2006, 01:20 PM
First thing, that guy has absolutely '0' writing skills lol -

I guess I'm not in teh cool catagory for gear. I wear black Bates boots, black Levi's, black t-shirt, 16 year old JT mask, cheapest PMI 4+1 harness I could find and cheap markers. I do shoot top of the line Evil paint only -

And I always thought I was cool because I'm either one of the last standing or most times don't get shot at all during a game. Go figure -

calebh
08-19-2006, 01:24 PM
or dont enjoy... granted the author pretty much stereotyped the paintball community, but you cant deny it happens. obviously enough to justify the ads. one of the most annoying things ive ever seen is a little kid with an angel or some other high quality marker who doesnt know how to use it

the other point the author was trying to make is that a players gear really doesnt matter all that much compared to a players skill. that was the one i was really trying to bring up.

druid
08-19-2006, 02:10 PM
true caleb but the community is stereotyped because of articles like that. Those of us that don't care what other ballers think of our gear balk at that mentality but the noob that just gets into the sport is swayed by that mentality and perpetuates it for the future.
...and you are correct in your statement that the author was implying "gear matters less than the player"...but that's not the message he conveyed in the TOTAL article. e should have spent more time on that instead of what he did.

What we need to do is bunker the **** out of these people with as many low end guns we can get our hands on to get it throgh their skulls

paintshot
08-19-2006, 06:59 PM
id like to see u bunker me, id light you up u sound just like a noob

Nenkitsune
08-19-2006, 07:05 PM
What we need to do is bunker the **** out of these people with as many low end guns we can get our hands on to get it throgh their skulls
That sounds like a marvelous plan. I'd say, Stingray's and Eradicators all around!

DRAGON
08-19-2006, 07:11 PM

You'd better watch it druid, sounds like this kid's got a rather large flashlight and not afraid to use it. **No No! Stay away from teh light!** :D

vwjimmy
08-19-2006, 07:12 PM
That sounds like a marvelous plan. I'd say, Stingray's and Eradicators all around!
I'll get my Blade out and dust it off!!!

Nenkitsune
08-19-2006, 07:17 PM
i'll get my friends eradicator and clean out all of the veggy oil gum that has caused it to not work!

paintshot
08-19-2006, 08:10 PM
wtf dragon u must be jus as much of a noob as when i got bannd 2 years ago ur worse than druid and i dint think it got much worsed then that

DRAGON
08-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Hey, now that you're back.....gonna still set me up with that fine lookin blonde sister of yours? I want to have her babies -

durrell
08-19-2006, 08:27 PM
lol Dragon how long are you going to let him play with you that way? Until Druid smacks him down? :p

Paintball0308
08-19-2006, 09:26 PM
I think the person that wrote that never played with low end gear and move up to high end gear to know the difference between them. I dont use high end gear but used and borrowed some before. theres a difference between a $17 jt mask and a pair of $80 vents, a mech spyder and an ego. people use high end equipment because of the performance it has.

druid
08-19-2006, 10:53 PM

whoah...an inferior intellect at it's best...Mr. "I own noobs"...your tag alone suggests that you are nothing more than an infantile degenerate, with an inferiority complex. Too bad you're 12 and act 7. Is your ban from Nation over? You can go back at any time...the sooner the better because framkly, we're all tired of the recent influx of trollers (you, being one of them - don't care about you being here 2 years ago either) and the moronic mentality they (and you) bring to these boards. While everyone else tries to tip-toe around the "you" types, I have no problem calling you what you are..

Oh...and banned two years ago....hrm....wonder why? **coughYOUAREAJACKASScough**

It never ceases to amaze me how the internet tough guys are such little *****es on and off the field. Light me up after bunkering you...you'll be cleaning the field with your ass...while I'm kicking it from one flag station to the other. That's not a specific threat to you, that's for anyone in general...but if it applies to you, so be it...

druid
08-19-2006, 10:54 PM
I think the person that wrote that never played with low end gear and move up to high end gear to know the difference between them. I dont use high end gear but used and borrowed some before. theres a difference between a $17 jt mask and a pair of $80 vents, a mech spyder and an ego. people use high end equipment because of the performance it has.

that was pretty my point...before we were so rudely interupted by the class clown...

The gear matters little...it's the player that wins the game. That article was probably written by one of the dip-****'s ^^^^^^^ buddies...

druid
08-19-2006, 11:09 PM
You'd better watch it druid, sounds like this kid's got a rather large flashlight and not afraid to use it. **No No! Stay away from teh light!** :D

HRM...well, he can bring any flashlight he wants...I'll even offer him up a helpful hint...

get yourself a 4 or 5 "C" celled Mag light. Not "D" celled because the "C" is easier to get a grip on...

I'll bring my 36" riot baton and 1 set of cuffs (I'll even leave my badge in the truck).

I'll set the cuffs on the ground right in between us. Whomever gets the other person speed-cuffed first, wins.

Sound like a deal? I think so
EDIT: what about tasers? or Pepperball? would those be ok? I can get some from work and even though I'm trained to withstand the pepper, would that be a fair fight? ::sinister laugh:: :D

chubb0rz
08-20-2006, 04:53 AM
pure evil i tell you :p

druid
08-20-2006, 02:06 PM
pure evil i tell you :p

some people just don't know...lol..

vwjimmy
08-20-2006, 02:13 PM
some people just don't know...lol..
I think most of them do now! :D
Glad I am not a guest at you work!!

marvin-martian
08-20-2006, 02:18 PM
I think most of them do now! :D
Glad I am not a guest at you work!!
imagine how in inmates feel...

druid
08-20-2006, 03:39 PM
um...they hate me... :D ...they hate me even more when I put on the S.W.A.T. BDUs and 'special' shirt and equipment :D EBID for the MFW!!!

Actually, it's little known that I:

took the 'top gun' trophy at the academy range (perfect scores in pistol, shotgun, rifle and M203 gas grenade launching systems)
am there almost 10 years
am a SRT Member
am classified "Expert" in firearms usage
am a Training Officer
compete in local I.D.P.A. matches (International Defensive Pistol Assn)
can withstand pepper and EBID
have an extremely high tolerence to pain
have an extremely low tolerence to stupidity
haven't been taken out in a fight since the 8th grade (1983)...including the almost daily skirmishes, fights, stabbings and suicide attempts inside the wall....I've been hit with mop handles, mop wringer handles, had shanks and shivvs pulled on me. I've been jumped, punched and kicked but I just don't go down. My block is filled with everyone in the prison that can't be housed with the rest of the population...murderers, rapists, gang leaders and racial hate-group members (both sides of the fence), lifers and 2 going to death row.

What is left to be afraid of when these ^^^ pieces of **** don't scare you?...natural disasters and that's about it...

marvin-martian
08-20-2006, 03:44 PM
druid is, infact a beast

vikingshadow
08-20-2006, 04:31 PM
And yet he's scared to death of bunny rabbits! Who'd a thunk it?

timmyshoota
08-20-2006, 05:14 PM
To get this back on track, lets look at my gear:

1. Empire 2 Timmy - BL doesn't sponsor any teams and only one from team uses Timmys, Legacy. But they are machine guns and are a breeze to work on. Mine is all stock except a new reg, feedneck and trigger. I don't have any trendy purchases on it. The board is stock, the feedneck is ugly but functional and the trigger is just plain awesome.

2. VLocity - Unpopular because of the looks, but awesome loaders. Only XSV nut huggers get them for any other reason other than performance.

3. NXe pack - Used by Dynasty and other top teams, but they are insanely good packs. Best pack I've owned, although the Reckless pack looks interesting.

4. CP 1 Piece Barrel - Not the cool barrel like ULs or even any 2 piece, but it gets the job done and them some.

5. Proflex - Its agg of couse, but I've also taken bounces up the wazoo with it. I've had one break on my lense, anything else that hit my mask bounced. You can't beat that. Its also more comfortable than my Profiler was, I used to get headaches from it.

6. JT Team Pants - My only "cool factor" purchase. I could use a better pair of pants, but I don't feel like buying another pair of pants. The padding placement sucks, but they look nice. :)

I'm not trying to brag or anything, but just showing that a lot of what is purchased has reasoning. You can't just take any gear out there and be a baller. If you use shoddy gear, your game will suffer. Good gear will improve your game by allowing you to focus less on the gear and more on the game.

Game. Set. Match. g > 68Caliber