PDA

View Full Version : Support BigRed Thread

bigred76
08-19-2006, 04:19 AM
Well, I might as well start from the beginning....

I'm a smoker. Plain and simple. I love everything about it. I can't think of anything to describe it to those of you who are non-smokers how I feel about it other than that. No, I'm not a heavy smoker, I might go through two or so packs a week, but if I'm sharing with friends, I might go through about 4 packs, and that's when the money runs out (I only get $20/week for allowance). I will sit up until about 2-3am just to be able to wait until my parents go to sleep just to be able to smoke a stoge (stoge is slang for cigarette). Yes, I'm underage. Illegal? Yes. Highly. Not quite as illegal as my secondary issue, which I will get to shortly. I have my methods to buy them (no names...) and am able to get them quite easily. I started smoking about February. I had a friend buy me a pack of Marlbro 100's and gave him the whole pack minus five for myself to try smoking out with. I couldn't even inhale a stoge at that point. Went through all 5 without even inhaling completely. I decided to not even try any further at that point. Several weeks later, my friends and I were just chillin' at the Dairy Bell around the corner from my school during our break (we have special passes to get off school, and Dairy Bell is very similar to Dairy Queen, but it's better and has been around longer), and one of them pulled out a Black And Mild. Basically a mini-cigar. He asked me if I would like to piece it with him, and at first I decided to not, but then I caved in (not by peer pressure, but by mulling over what the consequences and such were and coming to a choice to try it out... I mean, what could possibly be bad about it?). I was hooked from the first pull of that. The next week, I smoked my first full pack. And from then on, I smoked two full packs a week. It's much cheaper than paintball, you must understand. At $80 a month, I could only afford to go once per month to the field, whereas I could buy two packs and still end up with half the money I get per month. It's more more easily available, relaxing, and more often than that one paintball trip per month. I deal with a ton of stress on a normal basis (I will not get into reasons for that as it isn't pertinent to this matter, only that I'm under it), and smoking seemed to make it easier to cope with it. After much thought and a recent discussion with a couple close friends, I have decided to kick that habit out the door. Many may say, "Oh, you've just been smoking for about 6 months, that shouldn't be hard at all." What these people do not understand it is a drug, albeit legal at a certain age. Not as "extreme" as marijuana, and I'm very, very lucky I did not get into that habit as well. I was actually thinking of it for a little bit there... Moving on, as it is a drug, it is very addicting. My conclusion to this "problem:" I'm down to my last two stoges inside this current pack, and after these are gone... I have reached the decision to not buy another.

Now, by itself, smoking might just be an easier habit to kick. Unfortunately, I also have another bad habit: drinking. I currently am an active member of the "partying community." Yep, another highly illegal thing to be drinking underage, and again, another thing that those who are not a member of the community would not understand my reasons for being a part of. I will not say how much or how often I drink, but let us just say that it is not a miniscule amount. I will not go through how I became a part of this as it is way longer than the previous history, and, thus, I'll just cut to the chase... After talking with those same close friends, I decided to give up drinking all but for a rare few special occasions, and even then limit it to a small amount. As for what qualifies as a "special occasion", my graduation would.

Why post this thread? Well, I have several reasons... One of them being that I know this undertaking will be extremely hard for me as, well, I enjoy doing them. Nothing is more relaxing than sitting back and drinking a beer with friends and talking while smoking stoges. Although I enjoy it so much, I also have realized that if I do not stop now, I might not ever be able to. I'm still young, and most likely if I follow my current path and hold the rudder steady, I will end up having much greater problems, slipping deeper and deeper into drugs of various sorts. I have seen it happen before, with some very close friends. I do not wish the same fate to befall me. This forum, SOC, is one of the few places that I can actually trust people at completely... I ask only for understanding of my plight from my fellow members. Nothing more, nothing less. These next few months will most definitely be tough times for me, and none can foresee what troubles lie ahead in my path.

Thanks for reading,
-Tim

pbfreak3221
08-19-2006, 05:15 AM
Okay well even though you may be having a great time you really should start thinking about some of the consquences and you are so thats smart. My fifty year old uncle is already on a oxygen tank from smoking and cannot go anywhere with out, and my best friends brother along with many other's was killed in drunk driving so even though it's fun you really have to think about it

leed
08-19-2006, 05:40 AM
Tim, I will still tell you this is what you're lungs and liver will look like:

Despite the fact that it won't change a thing.
http://www.tqnyc.org/NYC040719/respir4.jpg
http://www.pathology.med.umich.edu/greensonlab/etohgross.jpeg

I personally don't have an anti-drug, or anything that keeps me from it, I have an easy path to smoking or drinking, but those pictures, and the people I have met when drunk, and the second-hand smoke I have inhaled from smokers who are to ignorant to smoke in the smoking section, have kept me from smoking or drinking. So I guess that is my anti-drug, who knows how long it will last, but has worked so far. There is no way I want to risk turning my body into that. I'm already in semi-bad condition as it is according to the fatherly figure.

Now theres not much I, nor anyone here, can do, but the best I can do, at the least, is support you on your way to being a non-smoker, and a responsible drinker, IE: someone who doesn't drink and turn into a monster, IE you, lol.

Tim, you'll be okay. :D :o

calebh
08-19-2006, 07:06 AM
http://209.85.12.232/5336/15/upload/av-10.gif

:D

vwjimmy
08-19-2006, 07:12 AM
Alright Bro,
Your decision is a great one. I am in the Old Farts Club and have been a smoker for about 26 years. I know how hard it is going to be and how important it is for you to do it RIGHT NOW!!!! Big Tobacco knows exactally how additive there stuff is and there is no time like now to kick the habit. You can do it! Day by day it will get easier. But, you will have to stay away from those who are still smoking to prevent temptation as much as possible. My Dad had six brothers. All of them smoked. My father quit when he was in his twentys and his brothers didn't. Dad is in better shape today than I am and his brothers are all gone via Emphysima....enough said.
Parting is another thing. I hit it pretty hard in high school and college until I was in my twentys. It took my wife threating leaving with my kids to wake me up. During those years, I managed to blow off more oportunities than anyone deserves to get. Man, it was soooo cool getting hammered...NOT. I always thought my friends would not like me if I didn't partisipate with them. On top of that, an additive personality like mine just makes it worse. Well, I found out that almost all of my friends didn't care if I partied or not. They liked me for who I was and not anyone I became when I was hammered! I liked me better too. It's nice to wake up everyday without the regret, sorrow, worry, and hangover. You will have just as good a time ***er as you ever had when you were still partying. I have been ***er for over sixteen years and have never regretted getting that way. Sometime though, I regret the things I missed and the people I hurt before I got straight. Don't let yours be a life of regret or end by coughing yourself to death.
I admire your recoginition of the things you need to change, your desire to change them, and your willingness to reach out for support. If I can help you anytime for anything, please pm.....
Jim

claustrophobia9
08-19-2006, 07:17 AM
its a good thing you put it out here, its people that hide it that have the hardest time quitting.

my friend drinks at parties, his mom lets him drive her volvo (its the sportiest one they have) well while he was drinking his drunk friends took the keys and took the volvo out for a joyride, they flipped it and wrapped a tree, my friend didnt even do anything incredibly stupid except drink, he was just around far stupider people. he has a job and has to pay a huge amount along with his 2 (no longer) friends that insurance wouldnt pay... something like 15 thousand between the 3 of them

timmyshoota
08-19-2006, 07:27 AM
Me calling you a #$*(#*$9 retard isn't enough?

If you won't listen to someone who has recently been through the same thing, then you aren't gonna listen to a bunch of people who most haven't been through it. It's obvious you don't want help, you just want sympathy for something you don't plan to really quit. At your age its not any great undertaking to stop. I used to smoke daily and drink whenever, where ever. I haven't touched a cigar/cigarette in well over a year and I hardly ever drink.

I realized smoking was #&*$(# retarded when I went to practice one morning and couldn't make it to the thirty off the break without being tired. I tried yelling but my voice was pretty much gone. It was the worst experience I had had on the field. Let me count the other reasons why smoking is stupid:

1) You smell like an ashtray
2) Your teeth turn yellow
3) Your breath is horrid, try getting a girl to kiss you that doesn't also taste like a ashtray
4) It doesn't look cool
5) It isn't relaxing, or whatever you might think
6) ITS STUPID

Now, let's talk about drinking. I used to drink heavily at parties and would goto friends houses during the week to drink. Then I was late for work, and missed practices because I was hung over. And what did I gain from this? Nothing.

Now let me tell you about my uncle. He had a blood transfusion yeaaaars ago, before things were as steril as they are now. He contracted Hepatitis C from it. He went through 20+ years of getting sick after eating most things, but thats not the fun part. The fun part is that he developed scillosis of the liver. His liver was pretty much done for, and was in need of a transplant. You know what also causes scillosis of the liver? DRINKING. Drinking puts your liver through abuse, years and years of abuse and it will finally shut down. My uncle was doing alright, waiting for a transplant, but then 2 weeks before his transplant, his was taken to the hospital and was inches from death. His liver completely shut down and had it not been for the doctors, he would be dead right now. He got his transplant, but through all this he has aged a lot. He's not the same person he was before, its put a lot of wear and tear on him. Do you want to end up like this?

Moral of the story:

YOU ARE A F*$(*$@&#ING IDIOT IF YOU DON'T QUIT.

You aren't gonna get the same support thread that Vike had because what you are doing is just stupid.

Edit: And since I finally read your first paragraph: Weed is less addictive than tabacco.

chubb0rz
08-19-2006, 07:48 AM
tl;dr ...maybe later

you = not working, therefore not working = no money so you shouldnt smoke, problem solved.

oh yea its bad for you health to.

Hossy
08-19-2006, 07:55 AM
I didnt know you smoked, but really, its a good thing that ur trying to stop both smokeing and drinking...

shunut
08-19-2006, 08:07 AM
Tim I won't tell you to quit anything. Thats your job. You are the only one who can't make yourself quit. I do have a request though, before you destroy your lungs, let me have them, you can have man they are already junk. No sense in messing up a perfectly good pair of lungs right? You have a choice on whether you keep your health or not, I don't, I was born with bad lungs. So if you want to smoke, I want your lungs, at least then I can live the life I deserve.

As for the drinking, I'll trade you livers too. Cystic Fibrosis didn't destroy my liver though, all the meds I have to take because of CF did. So come on down to AZ let me have your liver and lungs, you can have mine and then you can do whatever you want to do with them because they are already in bad shape.

I do want you to do something for me though. You want to see what it feels like to have bad lungs? You want to feel how your are going to feel after years of smoking and how I feel everyday? Get a pillow, thick one. Cover your mouth and nose with it. Make sure they are buried deep in there. Now breath. No, no, no, don't just take one breath because its going to be all of them. You like that feeling? If you do and you want to continue to smoke before you take another drag, come down to AZ so I don't have to feel like that anymore.

durrell
08-19-2006, 08:52 AM
Well I'll tell you one thing. If you want to end up like my grandma (now passed away, she was only 53 years old) then keep smoking. She only smoked about 20 years before she got emphysema and was put on 24 hour a day/ 7 day a week oxygen. For the last 20 years of her life, she suffered. I had to watch her suffer for about 11 of those while she lived with my family because her husband divorced her due to her never-ending health issues, so she lived with us. She had to do breathing treatments multiple times a day, and she couldn't even do the simple things women like to do such as..shop, without oxygen and a scooter. She was hospitalized at least 3 times a year, sometimes more, due to her very weak immune system..she contracted pneumonia and other lung related illnesses very easily. You might say all of these health issues were hereditary? No. All of it came from smoking. So if you want to chance ending up like her and essentially runing your life, I say go for it.

Drinking, although I don't agree with it at all..there's a difference between drinking and being a binge drinker. The way you talk in the chats, you're a binge drinker. You don't drink socially or just to have fun, you drink to get wasted. So think for a second of how that will affect your future, especially if/when you decide to have a family. I have friends that have completely ravaged lives because of parents on drugs or alcohol. I think in this situation it's better not to think of only yourself, but rather of the consequences that your actions NOW could have on others and yourself in the FUTURE..

-Doc

Hob Hayward
08-19-2006, 09:19 AM
Well, where I live no one smokes(cigaretes anyways...), and I think I have been convinced well enough that smoking is a stupid thing to do without even looking at the fact that I have asthma, and if I were to smoke, it would kill me 10 times as fast as anyone else.

All I can say is good luck man, I think by now you should know the consequences if you fail to stop.

vikingshadow
08-19-2006, 10:12 AM
Ok, daddy Vike has a thought or two on this - and I ain't no angel because I've traveled this path before....

The thing is, EVERYONE knows what smoking does to people - there hasn't been anyone who hasn't been affected by it in one way or another and the end result of smoking is NEVER good, yet kids still feel the need to smoke. With the education that's out there now to inform us of the dangers of smoking and second hand smoke, it amazes me that more and more kids start up and want to continue.

I smoked in high school and college, unfortunately there was little to no education about it at that time...fortunately, I was able to quit immediately after college and haven't touched it since. But, I've developed a serious allergy to cigarette smoke since then, and if I even get around it for a few minutes, my eyes blow up, get red, inflamed and infected for several weeks. Sad thing is, my mother in law smokes and refuses to quit. In fact, she says she would rather die - to which I said to her, "Well, that's your choice, but you're making me deal with your daughter when you do die and I don't support you one little bit." In the meantime, my father in law is on a breathing machine because he smoked for years, but managed to quit - but with her smoking, he may as well have continued.

Stop smoking. Period. It's not cool, no matter what your "crowd" says...besides, you'll be rid of them soon enough when you graduate.

As far as drinking - if you have to drink to be social, there are other issues at hand here. Drinking is just as dangerous, if not more, than smoking because other people and families are involved. I count my blessings that I actually survived college when several of my friends did not. Drinking a couple is not a bad thing, if you like the taste (blech!) but the type of drinking you're describing is dangerous. Alcohol poisoning is not a pleasant thing, nor is killing someone in a drinking and driving related accident. Watching loved ones who can't put the bottle or can down (or the cigarette) is painful to all around - in fact, they become fools after awhile and the friends they thought they had disappear.

tl;dr? Tough **** - read it anyway. Quit now and save yourself years of misery. Period.

Paradox313
08-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Agreed smoking kills. I dont understand why people smoke, or drink for that matter. When you get drunk you do stupid things. If i dont drink, i can still do stupid stuff, i can drive, and i wont "violate" somebodys territorial bubble.

Just about all of my friends drink up here, but none of them smoke, which i encourage them to keep doing that. But i dont care if they drink, only if they drink responsibly.

I was in a car with a buddy of mine. He was drinking. I told him if he does a single stupid thing i will walk. sure enough he starts laughing and tailgates a semi. i told him to drop me off there. sure enough he did.
Do you know what happened to him later that night.

D.U.I.

He got a DUI and i dont know what i would have got if i was with him. but i made the smart move and walked, while he got a DUI

Ace24
08-19-2006, 10:27 AM
Ok first of all. If you want to get a girl. Dont smoke. Girls hate guys that smoke. The only girl you will get while smoking is another smoker. *ick* Secondly, my sister has been smoking and doing drugs since she was 15. She is now 32 and her lungs are ****ed up. She cant run, she gives us bull**** about how shes ok, and hes has no consideration for others around her. No offence to you, but I feel smokers are selfish. They dont give two ****s who they smoke around and who they blow their second hand smoke at, and they will smoke anywhere, even if its around kids.

Honestly. Do you want to be playing paintball in 3 years? Because if you keep this up, you can say good bye to the game and all other sports. You wont be able to do it. When I was 12 I started smoking... I continued it for a month then when I noticed a significant reduction in how I was preforming on the soccer field, preforming on my bike, and how it was impossible to keep up with the other front paintballers, I stopped. Now that I am 17 I am glad I did. My gf hates smokers, I hate how they act around other people, I dont have the money to do that, and I love my life.

My sister smokes a pack a day. Shes slowly deteriating, her teeth have holes in them, and her face is go those stupid smokers indents. Do you really want to look like your 50 by the time your 30?

Have fun dieing young.

timmyshoota
08-19-2006, 10:34 AM
YOU ARE A F*$(*$@&#ING IDIOT IF YOU DON'T QUIT.
Just because I think it needs to be said again.

calebh
08-19-2006, 11:08 AM
geez guys, i think he gets the point. hes already decided to quit. we dont need to convince him of that. holy crap.

You aren't gonna get the same support thread that Vike had because what you are doing is just stupid.
maybe it is "F*$(*$@&#ING" stupid, but we should support or friend in his decision to quit. thats what he asked for. if you dont want to do that, keep your face shut.

with that said, good luck red :)

timmyshoota
08-19-2006, 11:22 AM

This isn't him cheating on tests, this is him killing himself. He needs to understand the reality and not be babied. He's been told many times he's stupid and its taken him this long to start quiting. He doesn't get a pat on the back until he actually quits. You probably have never had first hand experience with someone trying to quit. If you don't stay on top of smokers, they go back to smoking.

TheRedBarron
08-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Tim you know I am behind your every move with this decision you and I have talked about it many-a-times. I know how badly you want to do this, I know how hard this is going to be for you. All I ask is that you think of Josh, you think of your family, you think of everyone you would be letting down if you did decide to break down and not go through with it. Your future is what you are playing with, I know you will make the right decision I trust you fully, and like I said before you know how to get ahold of me and my wife to talk if you need help through at any point. As far as Chris goes, he is right but possibly a bit harsh ignore him I know you are used to it. Goodluck my friend you are pretty much on your own watch so I am trusting that you have the will power to finish the job.

vikingshadow
08-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Sorry for the speech - thought you needed convincing because I read the post wrong....sounded like you liked it and needed to be convinced - the rest of the posts helped me think that.

You wanna quit - I'm behind you 100%....I'll support you however you want, so long as it doesn't involve me driving or anything sexually related...

calebh
08-19-2006, 02:03 PM
I'll support you however you want, so long as it doesn't involve me driving or anything sexually related...

lol, i think that goes for the rest of us, too :)

bigred76
08-20-2006, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. :) I know Chris is only helping in his way, and I actually appreciate it; without him I probably would never have thought of quitting... I appreciate the reasons you guys are giving me, they all hit home.

To clear things up, I am quitting smoking as well as drinking. I guess the last paragraph threw people off... I do not want to quit as they are things I enjoy doing... however, I know they're gonna **** me up eventually so I am quitting even so.

UKwithPride
08-20-2006, 12:21 AM
Tim, you know you're my fellow californian and I <3 you, but I'm not reading that, haha. Anytime you need someone to talk to on AIM or call me, I'm usually there!

ooglieboogliebob
08-20-2006, 01:34 AM
woot !! great choice. You know it'll be for the better in your future :D. Stogeless FTW, Moderate Drinking FTW.

Good luck dude, you'll need it on this journey ;)

shunut
08-20-2006, 07:11 AM
Can I have your lungs still?

smakdacrak
08-20-2006, 12:03 PM
Just think of how expensive it is to support those habits. Its incredibly expensive to support heavy smoking and drinking habits.
Good luck on breaking the habits though.

calebh
08-20-2006, 01:10 PM
lol, think how expensive it is to support the paintball habit, but no ones quitting :P granted, its about 12813549018 times healthier :)

pbfreak3221
08-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Wow I don't even want to think how much I've spent on paintball

TheRedBarron
08-20-2006, 02:58 PM
Wow I don't even want to think how much I've spent on paintball
Play for 14 years and we will talk... Not to mention I have to pay for my wife who plays and my daughter who plays.

pbfreak3221
08-20-2006, 02:59 PM
sweet wow a wife and a daughter who plays nice

vikingshadow
08-20-2006, 04:22 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm - did we do that thread on how much you've spent on paintball in these new forums? I got lucky this year - other than the phantom and the solenoid, I haven't dropped but about 100 bucks in paint and field fees so far...

Oh, my wife plays as well - but my two daughters only like shooting at me, not getting shot at...

pbfreak3221
08-20-2006, 04:24 PM
Well lets see just this month I've given D over 200... And spent over 600 on pbn last month

druid
08-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Tim plays football. Football players = jock

I'm fairly certain I don't want to be a Jock Supporter

j/k....

Actuallly, you play football, right? Well, I invite you to burn 2 right after each other and then do your sprints on the grid iron. That'll make you quit damn skippy....

pbfreak3221
08-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Some kids on my team aren't jocks...

WhatThaSmurf
08-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Do any of the last few posts have anything in them that helps Tim?

bigred76
08-20-2006, 05:50 PM
I'm most deffinitely not a jock, but yes, I did play football... I haven't been extremely active all summer, except for recently while I was helping my friend remodel part of his house. I didn't notice a major difference in my performance in being able to move ****, but there was a slight one.

And :yeahthat:...

chubb0rz
08-20-2006, 06:18 PM
If you still havent seriously considered at least quiting smoking let me put my .02 in.

I for one hate smoking b.c it messes with your hygiene. I cant stand people with yellow teeth, I mean so distracting and annoying when talking to them. And the smell. I really hate it when I get home from being at a friends house who is a smoker because if I was there for 5 seconds or 5 minutes I stink like smoke.

More than likely not enough motivation for you to quit but just think about your future...i'm done.

bamf-hacker
08-20-2006, 06:46 PM
Tim I am here for you... If you need someone to talk to hit me up.

I was also a heavy drinker and quit pretty much cold turkey. I was also a smoker, but not the cigarettes, and gave that up a long time ago as well.

Now I am on the straight arrow... I have a house, family, great job and even have government clearance.

So if you need anything ask! I am glad you know enough to start the process to quit!

bigred76
08-22-2006, 06:51 PM
Hygiene? That didn't even enter my mind.... Good point, though.

Thanks Dan, I really appreciate it, and might take you up on that. :)

WhatThaSmurf
08-23-2006, 02:03 PM
As of today, I am joining Tim in his goal of quiting smoking. I figured, as much as I enjoy it's very, very short-lived affects, it's not worth it for the long term affects. I know the facts and how bad it is for one's health and so forth, and have decided now is a good time to stop. I should never have started, and neither should anyone else. I am not trying to take anything away from Tim's thread with this, and he knows that. I am just hoping that I will get as much support from you guys as he is getting, and that we can help each other. I have tried to quit before, and it was hard, and I caved. But now I know what to expect so it should be a bit easier. I have people at home that know I want to quit, and it would be nice to have help here too. Hopefully I can kick the habit cold-turkey like I want. So to you Tim I say, we can do this. To the rest of you, keep offering support and pray for our strength.

leed
08-23-2006, 02:35 PM
Yay! Donlon smurf is joining too! I think it's good you all are actually doing it, g'luck and :up::up:

bigred76
08-23-2006, 03:23 PM
The "Stopping Smoking Thread V1.0" it is, then. :) Glad you're joining me Donlon!

durrell
08-23-2006, 03:27 PM
Glad to hear it guys, I'm sure you won't regret it. My county (being the number 1 tobacco producing county in NC) has numerous smokers. I have friends that smoked but kicked the habit and now can't even stand to be around the smell of cigarette smoke. Hopefully you'll do just the same..;)

TheRedBarron
08-23-2006, 03:59 PM
Goodluck fellas.