PDA

View Full Version : Open or closed bolt?

JimJr
08-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Hi all, noob here to paintball and these forums, but I've learned much from searching these forums already. I have a refurbished Spyder Imagine and I need to know if my marker is an open or closed bolt design? My research says it is a closed bolt but I would like confirmation.

In addition, what makes a marker open/closed and are there any pros/cons to each?

Thanks, and I'm asking because my Odyssey Halo Backman LCD TSA loader that has a shot counter but you have to specify if you have open/closed bolt for the shot counter to be accurate.

vwjimmy
08-17-2006, 11:17 AM
All Spyder /Spyder clone markers are "Open Bolt"
Many people say that closed bolt designs are more accurate but.....
both designs have there own merits....
Open bolt= Bolt in rear position when marker is ready to fire
Closed Bolt= Bolt in forward position when ready to fire
Closed bolt markers are electro-pneumatic....
Spyders are "blowback"
Welcome to the Forums....

stylinbeaver
08-17-2006, 11:32 AM
EDIT::::: Edited becasue I posted the wrong answer!! Sorry

vwjimmy
08-17-2006, 11:36 AM
You can see the bolt on any Autococker......its "closed bolt"
again, "Closed Bolt=bolt in FORWARD position when ready to fire"

Santy
08-17-2006, 11:38 AM
Ions are not closed bolt, they are open bolt, you just can;t see the bolt. They are open, "enclosed" bolt. Same thing with shockers, 03 and up, DM's and PM's.

Auto-cockers and old school shoebox shockers are closed bolt. Almost everything else is open bolt.

JimJr
08-17-2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I read ottersccustoms.com and it said Sypder are open, should have known he was right.

OtterSC
08-17-2006, 12:17 PM
http://www.ottersccustoms.com/images/face/icon_lol.gif

that is a good one! the rodent was right!

thechubbss12
08-17-2006, 12:24 PM
elaborate otter?.... rodent = beava?....

yea all other info mentioned

calebh
08-17-2006, 12:50 PM
like jimmy said, its all about where the bolt is when the marker is ready to fire. and spyders are open bolt :)

welcome to the boards

leed
08-17-2006, 11:41 PM
All Spyder /Spyder clone markers are "Open Bolt"
Many people say that closed bolt designs are more accurate but.....
both designs have there own merits....
Open bolt= Bolt in rear position when marker is ready to fire
Closed Bolt= Bolt in forward position when ready to fire
Closed bolt markers are electro-pneumatic....
Spyders are "blowback"
Welcome to the Forums....

Closed bolts are not all electro-pneumatic, given, most fast competing cloesd bolt markers out there, are electro-pneumatic, but there are some that aren't. And some that aren't pneumatic at all.

With that, as mentioned, the Closed Bolt Accuracy myth depicted by WGP's only marketing scam, is false. Any marker will be as accurate as any other given controls. IE: same velocity, same temp, same barrel, same EXACT paint, etc etc etc. Just know, an autococker is not necessarily more accurate than a spyder, and vice versa.

vwjimmy
08-18-2006, 04:33 AM
****Ninja Edit for stupity****

druid
08-18-2006, 04:48 AM
what about a mech cocker? no electro there...stock, swing, hinge or Jackal frames use no batteries, boards or electricity of any kind. Pneumatic, yes...but NOT electro.

E1, E2 and Raceframes are a different story...but that's not the answer here.

vwjimmy
08-18-2006, 04:55 AM
uhhhhhhhhh
(bows head and walks away in shame)

leed
08-18-2006, 04:55 AM
And don't even forget about the Sterling, and the Pump markers! Yes, even a TALON is closed bolt. Which is the ultimate back up behind my statement, "Closed Bolt Markers aren't necessarily more accurate than open bolt."

calebh
08-18-2006, 02:45 PM
and the evil omen. electro, but not pneumatic. id forgotten about pumps :o

Muddytaco
08-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Auto-cockers and old school shoebox shockers are closed bolt. Almost everything else is open bolt.

You forgot two of the best closed bolt guns. AKA Excals and Palmer Blazers.