PDA

View Full Version : Apex or J&J Ceramic

NtAcivG94
08-14-2006, 03:30 PM
Okay. I just wanted to get people's feedback on either of the barrels. Its a toss up between the Apex barrel or a 12'' or 14'' J&J ceramic. But I dont know which one to get. So any feedback, pros/cons on either of the barrels that people have would be great. Thanks!

vwjimmy
08-14-2006, 03:50 PM
I love my J&J....
Always wanted to try an Apex....sound great for woodsball...

NtAcivG94
08-14-2006, 05:47 PM
does the j&j ceramic fit through the shroud like the apex does? also is there any real advantage going with a 14'' barrel over a 12'' one?

Atheist in a Foxhole
08-14-2006, 06:22 PM
I use my MR2 with a 14" J&J Ceramic. Not only does it fit the shroud, but it matches the black finish perfectly and looks like it could have come stock. The J&J significantly increases accuracy over the stock. I don't know what if any practical effect the 14 has on shot spread over a 12, but the consensus on pbnation is that 14 is the cutoff after which the changes are superficial.

I want an Apex too, for the distance primarily and also to test out the curved shots. The Apex is like 3 times the price of the J&J though, so if you play on a tight field or speedball a lot it might not be worth the extra ~$100. When I ultimately get mine I'll probably swap it with the J&J for speedball and then back for woodsball or long fields.

Edit:
A pic of the J&J in the MR2
http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/3219/jjmr2vy5.jpg

NtAcivG94
08-14-2006, 06:45 PM
wow the 14'' looks like a good length...how is that barrel as far as distance and accuracy compared to the stock mr2 barrel?

Atheist in a Foxhole
08-14-2006, 06:52 PM
I can't say if it actually shoots farther in terms of pure range, since I haven't tested that. But it does give the balls a boost in accuracy at greater distances...so an increased effective range. The barrel also self-cleans through breaks. I've yet to squeegee this barrel even though my friend who uses a CMI Tru-Flight on his MR2 generally has to squeegee after each game.

It has a lot of linear porting (not visible in the picture) and has a ceramic and tefflon coated inside so there is very little friction on the ball as it passes through.

NtAcivG94
08-14-2006, 07:34 PM
just ordered the 14'' j&j ceramic barrel

Jarhead
08-15-2006, 06:21 AM
I have both a Apex and J&J 14". The Apex is better on range, both barrells give you good results. I got my Apex off of Ebay for $49 and I would pay more now that I have used it.

NtAcivG94
08-15-2006, 11:00 AM
my j&j should be here by the end of the week. I will probably still think about getting the apex as well just so i can have both:D

Jarhead
08-15-2006, 07:13 PM
There is nothing better in the world than watching a owner of A-5 with a flatline who thinks noone can touch. All of a sudden a 3 round burst reaches out and touches him. Then you stand up out of his range a wave. This was one of my favorite Kodak moments. Paint dripping from his mask.
If you can buy a Apex. :D

Command2A
08-16-2006, 06:00 PM
well i got a 14"trinity MR barrel, it is a good barrel it does a tear dive long and accurate barrel just my 2 cents..:D

NtAcivG94
08-17-2006, 12:24 PM
just got my J&J in today...went out and shot it in the back a few times. Doesn't seem to bad although I am shooting garbage paint (Brass Eagle wild streak FTW!!) and i dunno if my velocity is set perfect.

Xtreme
09-29-2006, 09:01 AM
Well After reading some post on barrels for the MR2 I went and ordered a 14" J&J Ceramic Barrel. I can say this it looks great on the gun. As for shooting farther it did help alittle. Were we play is an old archy range, so I decided to do a test on range. With the stock barrel holding the gun level to the target I was able to hit the mark at 30yards, as I increased distance I had to lead the the target by pointing the gun upward. Now for the J&J I was able to hit the same target between 40 to 45 yards. As for outshooting a flatline barrel on an A-5 or 98 was out of the question. They were hitting the mark from over 50 yards. I am curious thought if a 12" J&J would be better, but as soon as my 12" gets here I will do the same test. I will also be testing the Apex, that gonna be alittle while (Baby on the way!). As for marker set up, I was using my MR2 on 20oz CO2, stock detents, 14" J&J. I can say that I am fairly happy with the results for the money. I am curious what other barrels other than the Apex offer my range, since I am competing againist Flatlines. I can tell you this doing some simple testing with barrels and other guns it makes it easier to choose your battles in woodsball! Just my thoughts!

Finnkc
09-29-2006, 11:17 AM
I like my J&J think I should have gone 14" and not 16" but oh well. I also have an SP Progressive for my rodeo and it shoots great too ... too bad it doesn't fit the MR2 :(. I think having barrels with differnet bore sizes helps too ... cause not all paint is the same radius.

Alien
09-29-2006, 03:46 PM
i have the apex barrels and i suggest u to bought it because it the best barrels for the MR2

new_Faction64
10-21-2006, 01:29 PM
My J&J came mis-threaded for some reason, I gotta send it back to J&J because it creates a gap before the barrrel=ball breaks...but when it did work it was a great barrel.

jpats007
11-28-2006, 10:22 AM
bottom line what is the distance you get from a j&j compared to the apex and is it worth $40+ if im playing woodsball.

druid
11-28-2006, 10:44 AM
I like my Spyder J&J so much, I got a Lapco adapter to put it on my M98 as well!

Ace24
11-28-2006, 10:57 AM
The Apex is effing sweet. There is no doubt about it. With a click or two you can adjust the angle and distance of your fire with ease and pop one over a bunker and down on their heads. The only thing I dont like about the Apex is the coating on the inside. I've heard about it wearing down sort of fast.

My J&J Ceramic 14" is my pride and joy. I love that barrel so much. It makes your gun so much quieter, but at the same time provides you with professional grade. It has the ceramic inner coating wich is so smooth that if you break paint in it, you just fire a few times and it's cleaned it's self out.

Depending on what kind of Spyder your using, I would get a J&J Ceramic. I would not go above 14" as anything above that is a waste of air. The Apex is a good choice, but you might want to try one out before you actually buy it. It is alot different then a normal barrel and will take some getting used to.

On Spyders, the J&J Ceramic is incredible because of the amount of sound it reduces. As soon as you put it on after firing out of the stock barrel... you'll not only notice a sound difference, but a difference in the flow as well.

jpats007
11-28-2006, 11:47 AM
how is the j&j for distance and accuracy? and what else should i replace so im not dissappointed when i get on the field. becuase i just got my mr2 i traded in my autococker because every other day something else was wrong. and how do you clean these electric hoppers when the paint shoots up into them when i get chops?

Maxx-Damage
11-28-2006, 11:51 AM
I dont know of all teh hoppers but their is some screws that hold it together so unscrew them, take te electronics out, run the shells under hot water, dry, and reassemble.

Jarhead
11-28-2006, 01:49 PM
how is the j&j for distance and accuracy? and what else should i replace so im not dissappointed when i get on the field. becuase i just got my mr2 i traded in my autococker because every other day something else was wrong. and how do you clean these electric hoppers when the paint shoots up into them when i get chops?

I have a 14" J&J and a Apex. The J&J shoots very well and is very accurate but once you get a Apex dialed in you rock. I have been outshooting the flatlines at our field consistantly wiyh my Apex. Make sure you use good paint with the Apex becuase they are a PITA(Pain in the A$$) to clean and you can't just fire a couple of shots to clear them.

Alien
11-28-2006, 04:06 PM
i dont like the apex . im not good with the flatline u need to aim almost to the sky with the last clip or it hurt the earth. if someone can explain me how u use it ....

wylde01
11-28-2006, 07:31 PM
how loud or quiet is the apex? im about to get one but want to know before i get out in the woods. i know that the stock barrels are pretty loud!!!

druid
11-28-2006, 09:12 PM
I can't speak for the Apex but the J&J Ceramic is (for my markers, at least) considerably quieter than a stock barrel.

Ace24
11-28-2006, 10:03 PM
It is all in the porting. Barrels with more porting tend to be quieter. But you dont want a barrel that has porting the entire length of the barrel... otherwise the effective part is lowered. The part that doesn't have holes (porting) is the effective part of the barrel. The rest basicly guides the ball and releases the sound out of the holes in tiny incriments, so that the person infront of you that your firing at doesn't get the full blast of the sound.

Jarhead
11-29-2006, 05:12 AM
i dont like the apex . im not good with the flatline u need to aim almost to the sky with the last clip or it hurt the earth. if someone can explain me how u use it ....

It depends on what setting you are using, on 4-5 you aim like a normal weapon. If I am on another setting fire once to see where the trajectory is and the adjust your second. Once you're in play just use that as the aiming point and you shouldn't miss. Until you are really profficient, don't mess with the settings in play but keep the same one. Keep practicing with it, I put about 2000 rounds through practicing, it is like a real weapon, you have to practice to get better.

Alien
11-29-2006, 09:59 AM
ok cuz i was tired to see my ****ing ball it down.so u suggest to keep it at 4-5.?

Jarhead
11-29-2006, 11:10 AM
ok cuz i was tired to see my ****ing ball it down.so u suggest to keep it at 4-5.?

Yes, I keep mine on 5 and forget about it.

jpats007
11-29-2006, 12:28 PM
i just ordered the J&J, this accessorizing thing is addicting. has everyone changed the detents or are the stock ok? cause i cant stand seeing that paint shoot into my hopper after a chop.

wylde01
11-30-2006, 01:43 PM
has everyone changed the detents or are the stock ok? cause i cant stand seeing that paint shoot into my hopper after a chop.
it depends on what color they are. if you have black ones then your good to go but the orange (or whatever color they are) are the bad ones to have.