PDA

View Full Version : What Religion?

splaturout
08-14-2006, 02:32 PM
Ok...before you get going please read the following!!!

1) This is just a post if you feel like it!

2) Do NOT mock someone for thier religion

3) Do not try to convince someone else that you are right or wrong

4) Please obey the rules and would the Mods please help with that.

5) Be Mature

So since there has been a lot of talk of prayer in this forum I was wondering what kind of diversity we have in here are far as practicing religion. If you have none feel free to post that you don't.

Me: Lutheran (Missouri Synod) Since birth..my mother is lutheran, my father is a lutheran Pastor so I think that is a default. :rolleyes:

DFSniper
08-14-2006, 02:36 PM
born and raised Roman Catholic, my step dad was born Baptist.

xtraking
08-14-2006, 02:38 PM
mom: greek orthodox
dad: catholic
me: catholic.

colonel_moo
08-14-2006, 02:46 PM
mom: catholic
dad: protestant
me: catholic

thechubbss12
08-14-2006, 02:51 PM
Me = pentecostal.... Not the extreme version were men cant have long hair and women have to wear dresses and never cut thier hair... its the laid back side...

xNinja-Dolphinx
08-14-2006, 03:07 PM
We are Non Denominational if that makes any sense. Basically rules come from the bible while being independent from other religous authorities.

Modded-Like-Hell
08-14-2006, 03:10 PM
catholic once in a while, when i feel like it

claustrophobia9
08-14-2006, 03:20 PM
agnostic determinist. my parents are catholic

durrell
08-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Pentecostal..kind of like Chubbs said, we're very laid back. I love my church.

Ace24
08-14-2006, 04:12 PM
I am Christian and go to a... well I dont attend anymore, probably should get back into it, but used to attend a non-denominational church with my parents. My mom is what you could call a Missionary and she teaches little kids about God and stuff. I grew up with it.

I tell you, without God, and with out my close friends (One whom I lost as a friend because of my current relationship, she saved my life) I would have a bullet in my head because of all the crap and stress I have been through my entire life. I dont think 17 yr olds should have white hairs... :(

The Pink Panther
08-14-2006, 04:19 PM
me = lds/mormon

mv540
08-14-2006, 04:19 PM
Im Christian too.

Yeah I agree Ace, with out God, is so dificult to live, so is better living by faith.

Dad: christian
Mom: Christian

bamf-hacker
08-14-2006, 04:50 PM
woot woot. The first Jewish baller in the house. Well sort of, I am more a holiday Jew and that is only if my Mother reminds me.

My wife is Christian, which is one of the reasons I married her. Jewish holidays stink compared to the Christian ones.

ex. Passover we get Matzah, Easter you get candy :) Which one is the better deal

vikingshadow
08-14-2006, 05:08 PM
Pentencostal Christian. I grew up with having Christianity hammered into me, I know an awful lot, but refuse to get drawn into arguements and was actually going to be a preacher when I was a kid, but I got tired of it like most other kids....unfortunately, I've strayed again and really need to get my wife and kids back into church if for nothing else, to let them have a chance at what I had growing up.

Ace24
08-14-2006, 05:12 PM
Pentencostal Christian. I grew up with having Christianity hammered into me, I know an awful lot, but refuse to get drawn into arguements and was actually going to be a preacher when I was a kid, but I got tired of it like most other kids....unfortunately, I've strayed again and really need to get my wife and kids back into church if for nothing else, to let them have a chance at what I had growing up.
:yeahthat:

claustrophobia9
08-14-2006, 05:35 PM
honestly i grew up being a christain but only strayed to an agnostic position because i believe christianity as an institution is overly self centered; as an ideal its fine but when it becomes an institution everything gets jumbled up and it isnt the same. <- thats just the way its been for me.

stylinbeaver
08-14-2006, 05:48 PM
Penecostal. Like the chubbs. Laid back.

Victa_Balla
08-14-2006, 06:00 PM
Methodist
Mom, Dad, and Bro are too

timmyshoota
08-14-2006, 06:14 PM
honestly i grew up being a christain but only strayed to an agnostic position because i believe christianity as an institution is overly self centered; as an ideal its fine but when it becomes an institution everything gets jumbled up and it isnt the same. <- thats just the way its been for me.

QFT

I was born and raised Catholic. I found the same reasons clausy did and got out. I'm now agnostic. I'm really open minded towards religion, I just hate when people try to push it on everyone. I guess thats why I hate personalized license plates with religious things on them.

pbfreak3221
08-14-2006, 06:18 PM
dad:jewish
mom:catholic
me:Unitarien

DyNasty9
08-14-2006, 06:30 PM
^^^^ ya same here
im agnostic, both my parents are christian but i think my dads getting fed up with it or something.

WhatThaSmurf
08-14-2006, 07:32 PM
Roman Catholic, my family is a big, good ole Irish Catholic family. I have lots of cousins.

TheRedBarron
08-14-2006, 07:36 PM
Take care with this thread. Going good so far, just letting you know that it is a touchy subject with some.

But im agnostic.

Ace24
08-14-2006, 07:47 PM
Yeah I can see someone comming in here and flaming people pretty soon... lets hope it doesnt happen.

marvin-martian
08-14-2006, 07:55 PM
dodgyism is the only religion worth having
but seriously, im with claus and G

calebh
08-14-2006, 08:32 PM
lots of guys going from christianity to agnostic... the story's the same here, except instead of completely giving up the faith, i just kind of distance myself from some, but not all, christian institutions. like others have said, i find it impossible to live without god. but theres a difference between having a relationship with christ and going to church every sunday. theres a difference between a missionary group overseas and groups like the american family association.

MadMan66
08-14-2006, 09:30 PM
Pentecostal (i think) but like chubbs laid back (sort of) i'm laid back and most of my church is to, but some people get crazy. or am i A/G?

xtraking
08-14-2006, 09:50 PM
Take care with this thread. Going good so far, just letting you know that it is a touchy subject with some.

But im agnostic.
wtfm8 what is up with that!?!!! agnostic!!!?!

no im messign with you.
didnt know the variety of religions/lack there of on this forum.

durrell
08-14-2006, 09:55 PM
wtfm8 what is up with that!?!!! agnostic!!!?!

no im messign with you.
didnt know the variety of religions/lack there of on this forum.

lol Lack there of being the keyword, 70 percent or so have been Agnostic.

claustrophobia9
08-15-2006, 04:39 AM
really agnostic is just a lack of firm beliefs for the most part. i mean, i believe there IS some type of god/ superior being, but i dont really belive some system where i do this or that and in reward get this or that.

vikingshadow
08-15-2006, 04:43 AM
or am i A/G?

Assembly of God? That's pentecostal - which is what I am, sort of. I started in that church, then my parents broke of with a group and became non-denominational which is where I spent all of jr. high and high school, then once I got married, ended up back there. Not too comfortable with it though - too much politics...

OtterSC
08-15-2006, 04:48 AM
well, if you are interested, Jehovah's Witness.

newkid
08-15-2006, 05:11 AM
"full blooded" roman catholic

calebh
08-15-2006, 05:19 AM
too much politics...

biggest problem with any church...

splaturout
08-15-2006, 05:20 AM
don't start please

calebh
08-15-2006, 05:23 AM
im just saying... its in my church too. it pisses me off cuz it keeps us from growing, and keeps youth from wanting to go to church. you have no idea how much youth attendance has slacked off since the whole thing started.

Warnichek
08-15-2006, 05:32 AM
Independent Christian ( preach straight from the Bible ). Brother is a Preacher .

DFSniper
08-15-2006, 06:43 AM
woot woot. The first Jewish baller in the house. Well sort of, I am more a holiday Jew and that is only if my Mother reminds me.

My wife is Christian, which is one of the reasons I married her. Jewish holidays stink compared to the Christian ones.

ex. Passover we get Matzah, Easter you get candy :) Which one is the better deal

i can honestly say i've never met a jew i didnt like (of course, i've only met 3 or 4...) two of my best friends are jewish, one because he did some family history research and found out that his great grandparents were jewish and he wanted to be different from everyone else. basically the only way he observes it is because he has the hat (not even gonna try to spell it, forgive me) and he only eats kosher food (sometimes...)

Maxx-Damage
08-15-2006, 06:46 AM
Im a 1/8 jewish the other 7/8 i dont know. But i do celibrate all the good holidays...

bamf-hacker
08-15-2006, 07:33 AM
Im a 1/8 jewish the other 7/8 i dont know. But i do celibrate all the good holidays...

Please elaborate on the "Good" Holidays :)

Hanukkah??? Where you get 8 days of sweaters or Yom Kipper where you starve yourself for 24 hours then sit at a table covered in food and you cant touch anything until you do a 3 hour service

Can you tell I have issues :) I just found out that I can now be buried in a Jewish cemetery, they have loosened up on the no tattoo rules.

Drefish99
08-15-2006, 07:56 AM
I worship Buddy Jesus
http://www.getreligion.org/wp-content/photos/BuddyJesus.jpg

Christian going to a United Methodist church.
Both parents are Roman Catholic.

splaturout
08-15-2006, 08:02 AM
That's Buddy Christ!!!!!

Drefish99
08-15-2006, 08:12 AM
That's Buddy Christ!!!!!

Crap. No wonder he hates me. :rolleyes:

splaturout
08-15-2006, 08:23 AM
I just LOVE that movie Dogma. It pin points so many things that I wish I could say. Change is a huge issue for my religion (lutheran LCMS) and one of my fathers jobs was to go to these churches that were failing because they won't dare to change the service since 1940 and tell them they will change or they will die! It was a cool job. I got to watch as people would slowly change but watch as they accepted it and found that it worked! Amazing! Similar to my friends when I pry the Tippmann 98 from their hands and replace it with a spyder! :D

WhatThaSmurf
08-15-2006, 01:50 PM
Organized religion will always be confusing, because they never want to change traditions. I may have been raised Roman Catholic, but I am very far from going by the rules. I have formed my own beliefs, but I still call myself RC because that's what my beliefs spawned from. And it's funny too, because the church I've always gone to is so different from other RC churches. Our priest has even gotten in trouble for speaking so freely of women in the clergy. But one thing I've believed since I could frm my own opinions - if you worship God they way you understand that God should be worshipped, then you are doing the right thing.

claustrophobia9
08-15-2006, 02:04 PM
Organized religion will always be confusing, because they never want to change traditions. I may have been raised Roman Catholic,
alot of churches change traditions... but roman catholic isnt really one of them, id know because my church makes a big deal about new times to bow when recieving communion :rolleyes:

as for dodgyism marv... look at the sign i found in my sunday paper in my avi

Sac
08-15-2006, 02:12 PM
raised catholic but never baptised catholic (went to catholic school for 9 years) now i go to a non-denominational christian church, very liberal.

leed
08-15-2006, 02:16 PM
Raised Christian don't really know what branch, but went to an Asian Christian Church. Am now Atheist due to my own decisions and view upon my former past (mainly my childhood wasn't so hot) and how things are running now. IMO: If God really exists, than he will help everyone despite their religion.

druid
08-15-2006, 03:54 PM
I am torn between my Anglican Catholic up-bringing and my Wiccan Ancestry. I find myself finding positives and negatives in both though. I believe in God and Christ...but also believe in ritualistic (Pagen) practices.

...so only half of me is going to Hell I guess

DFSniper
08-17-2006, 06:10 AM
lol, but wait, that half doesnt believe in hell, right?

The Pink Panther
08-17-2006, 07:35 PM
i think that the mormon church is the only church that teaches the EXACT same thing...whether your in africa or columbia, mexico or china...and of course the u.s.

durrell
08-17-2006, 07:39 PM
i think that the mormon church is the only church that teaches the EXACT same thing...whether your in africa or columbia, mexico or china...and of course the u.s.

That's because Mormons are more like a cult than a religion.

No offense to any Mormons, that's just what I have learned after studying the religion in both school and personally.

OtterSC
08-17-2006, 07:57 PM
hmm, mormons teach the same thing no matter where? cannot verify that. i will say i am enthusiastic on talking with them. they seem to not want to come back. :( i know that they claim that their book of mormon supports the bible. however, i have found it otherwise.

however, i do know as one of J.W., it is the same where ever you are in the world. on sunday, the public address is the same wherever one goes. i mean, there is only one bible. if there is only one bible, though, why so many different teachings and religon? could they all be right? all serve the same God? like the trinity. does the bible really support the father, the son, and the holy spirit the same one person?

how about the future of the earth? if we are all destined to go to a higher plane, then why is it that the Lords prayer say that the will be don on earth as it is in heaven? seems like there is more to the earth then a temporary place for us humans to reside until we are judged.

how about hell? fiery place of torment? if so, then why did Jesus, a perfect human, go to hell? doesn't sound like the right place for a human to go after doing such good.

i know. no debating. just some food for thought. if requested, i can provide exact scriptures for more pondering.

durrell
08-17-2006, 08:10 PM
Otter I'm kind of curious as to what you mean about Jesus going to Hell..I've never heard of this. Unless you're talking about how some people believe he died and went to Hell for our sins, which is not the case..that was a mixup of translations. Back then, Hades and Hell were not the same thing. Hades was temporary, where there was a "Saved" side and a "Lost" side. Jesus couldn't go to actual Hell because Hell is the permanent place that comes after you are judged in Heaven (the whole Lamb's Book of Life thing).

Scripture references: Revelation 20:11-15; Matthew 11:23; 16:18; Luke 10:15; 16:23; Acts 2:27-31; Ephesians 4:8-10

vikingshadow
08-17-2006, 08:14 PM
Wasn't it Purgatory or something like that (not sure of the name of the place) Jesus went to after he died? He broke the gates down and led the people on the "saved" side out and into Heaven during his three day death and the rest went into Hell...that original place now stands empty, the way I interpret it.

durrell
08-17-2006, 08:16 PM
http://www.gotquestions.org/did-Jesus-go-to-hell.html

:thumbup:

leed
08-17-2006, 09:55 PM

I have never met a chinese mormon :confused:

LOL, but no, I have to disagree, I know two mormons, and they disagree on many things about the Mormon religion.

TheRedBarron
08-17-2006, 11:13 PM
I have already stated that my stand on religion is simply agnostic....

My reasoning.

I have a problem sitting and listening to one specific religion because I have read both the OT and the NT and I feel that every single religion in the christian faith obscures from the actual teachings in the book. I also detest that fact that each one is different how can this be if there is only one book? etc...

UKwithPride
08-17-2006, 11:36 PM
I stay out of religion... I haven't really chose my "religion," nor do I plan to until later on in life.

albertjackson99
08-18-2006, 07:40 AM
Me: Catholic
Wife: Looking into becoming catholic
Parents: Catholic

That being said, I try not to blur the lines between the Catholic Church and Faith. I enjoy being Catholic because it is how I was raised. I enjoy sitting in stain-glass clad churches and pondering things greater than myself. I enjoy being a part of a community that, for the most part, is interested in helping each other as best the can. I enjoy the somberness and the aura of a Catholic Mass. These things bring me peace. However, that should never be confused with faith - Faith is shaped from your experiences, understanding, desires, securities, insecurities, and ultimately your needs. Faith requires no rank structure, building or dues.

"For those with faith, no evidence is necessary. For those without faith, no evidence is possible."

DRAGON
08-18-2006, 08:29 AM
I just learned 'Losing My Religion' on my guitar lol. The differences in religions from the same book is how each one interprets it. There always seems to be someone that wants to be different isn't there. Speaking of different, I was brough up on Catholicism and they beleive Jesus is God. I do not beleive Jesus is God but the son of God like the rest of us. He was just empowered by God to create the miracles he performed. I also beleive a lot of people that portray themselves as religious are hypocrites because they go to church every Sunday and once they step out the door of the church do not practice what they preach. Religiously plastic per se -

claustrophobia9
08-18-2006, 11:37 AM
the problem i see with alot of christianity is that the institutions say to lay down your life for others, and give to others and encourage modesty... and then for what do they say you do that? so YOU can be rewarded.... i see a problem with that. a self-centered-ness still emerges from an idealogy that is meant to be about others. its hard to explain but that is my main reason that even though im around so many christian sources i still am agnostic.

durrell
08-18-2006, 11:40 AM
Claus that makes no sense. How is it self-centered if you're giving to others? Do you enjoy giving to others with no reward? No. There's nothing wrong with wanting a reward for doing good..

shunut
08-18-2006, 12:24 PM
The key to giving is not to expect a reward. If you are rewarded, its nice but when giving to others you shouldn't expect anything. The problem with some people who give is that they never let you forget that they did something for you, which is wrong and defeats the purpose.

claustrophobia9
08-18-2006, 12:30 PM
Claus that makes no sense. How is it self-centered if you're giving to others? Do you enjoy giving to others with no reward? No. There's nothing wrong with wanting a reward for doing good..
i went to catholic schools for 5 years and all they ever taught was essentailly "you need to be nice to others so YOU go to heaven" there was always a "you" that was getting something in the end.

TheRedBarron
08-18-2006, 12:41 PM
Okay fellas we are pushing a debate here, take it to AIM or PM's.

splaturout
08-21-2006, 12:31 PM
Well now that this thread has served its purpose I want to say this. We are all from different backgrounds and have different beliefs. So who is right? Who is wrong? No one. Every person in here is proud of the choices they made and stand behind what they believe. It is good to see that there are many people who can proudly say they know what they believe.

I grew up in a home where my father was a missionary/pastor/Dr. of Theology. I have spent many hours talking with my father about the different religions in the world and where they came from. Hindu, Mormon, Jo Ho, Lutheran, Buddist, Wicaan, Satanist, and so on. No matter which you are or arn't it is truely amazing how simple of a thing like religion can do to destroy a family, a country, and a person. Just little sample here you could see how the bantor back and forth started even after the warnings and so on.

Now imagine a place like Isreal and Palastine where religion IS life. Puts things in a different perspective. We here can't even see each other and can't yell at each other but still was try to convince the other person who is right. Now put weapons in the hands of the people arguing and you can see how a war and battle can begin.

pbfreak3221
08-21-2006, 12:41 PM
word