PDA

View Full Version : I'm a little bummed.....

vikingshadow
08-14-2006, 07:04 AM
Bad news - I have to report to school tomorrow. My summer is officially over at midnight tonight!

Good news - after more than 30 days of 100+ weather, it's only going to be 84 degrees today. Not bad for a last day of summer!

Bad news - I have to mow the lawn.

Good news - I've been going to the school every afternoon for the last couple of weeks and I'm completely prepared for it to start...

Bad news - I have to sit through 3 days of meetings, listening to someone who gets paid a lot of money to give his/her version of education, but not give any ideas how to reach that version...

Good news - I won't be bored anymore.

Bad news - I won't be bored anymore.

Good news - I'll probably be able to lose a few pounds since I won't be at home, bored, and eating.

Bad news - I probably won't be able to make it to the gym as often now.

Good news - I won't be spending money hand over fist anymore.

Bad news - Now I'll be focused on bills, instead of fun!

Good news - I won't spend as much time on the computer anymore.

Bad news - I won't spend as much time on the computer anymore.

Ok, so it's a good news/bad news kinda thing - I'm so torn! Arggghhhh! I've been reduced to making random posts!

Anyway, school starts for me tomorrow.

pbfreak3221
08-14-2006, 07:09 AM
wow that's early for school... that really sucks I still have 3 more weeks

shunut
08-14-2006, 07:13 AM
School started last week here. Good luck on your first day back Vike!

vwjimmy
08-14-2006, 07:24 AM
Vike,
My kids start again on Wednesday........
You will be back in the groove before you know it! Besides, you are still gonna be here way too much anyway!!!!
Have a great time this year!!!

durrell
08-14-2006, 07:25 AM
I start back next week...:thumbdown:

bamf-hacker
08-14-2006, 07:36 AM
Nah not bad news!

You love your job, and besides Teachers Rock!!! Just think without them we would all be dumb!

Enjoy your school kids and the fun will still be there on weekends and winter break:)

Warnichek
08-14-2006, 07:46 AM
My boy went back last week. Let us know what kind of hooligans you got this year.

DyNasty9
08-14-2006, 07:59 AM
i dont go back till like september something.
its weird to i kinda wana go and see everyone agian but at the same time i dont wana go and deal with homework and all that stuff. =\

vikingshadow
08-14-2006, 08:03 AM
I'm trying to go into this with a whole new outlook this year. I was pretty burned out after last year's bunch. But, I think it was because I listened to too many other people. Every year it seems I get less patient and meaner...

However, I watched The Ron Clark Story last night and that got some gears in my head going...he's been an influence on me for a couple of years now. I think he's one of those exceptional people that come along every so often and teach even us old timers what it's like to do well at something...in case you're wondering, he's a teacher who started out in North Carolina and raised his students test scores to the highest in the state - then moved to Harlem and took the worst group of kids that everyone had given up on (according to the movie, they had had 5 teachers in one semester because they were that bad - behavior-wise) and changed them into awesome students with the highest test scores in NYC, including Honor's classes. (By the way, he's a white man - that in Harlem was a pretty incredible thing!)

The cool thing was that he did it by teaching common rules - things most of us know already, like saying "Please" and "Thank you," "Yes, sir" and "No, sir." His book, The Essential 55, is pretty awesome! Oh, and by the way, he won the American Teacher Award presented by Disney, and actually took his class from Harlem with him to LA to get the award. Oh, and he did this after only having taught for 6 years!
My wife saw him on Oprah and FORCED me to watch him - I hate the Oprah Winfrey show, she always makes sure somehow that she's the one being focused on no matter who the guest is - but, anyway, I was totally amazed at this guy. He taught exactly like me, by trying to instill respect and sense of family and fun first, then getting to the lessons.

I immediately bought the book and started implementing it into my homebase lessons. Funny thing is, that was two years ago, and now the principal wants all the teachers to begin implementing it into their homebases. I can't take credit for it, I only did it sporadically, but at the end of the year last year she was asking me all kinds of questions about it and buying the book for everyone on the staff...

tl;dr? Too bad, go back and read it - but I do plan on regaining the fun I used to have a few years ago....maybe feel like I'm earning some of those awards people gave me already...

thechubbss12
08-14-2006, 08:20 AM
Whew Sounds like alot of fun Vike... im going to start meh Junior year this year and not being a football player is going to be wierd... But hey my life is awesome....

Vike I hope you tear up teaching what ever grade you teach....

druid
08-14-2006, 08:48 AM
you forgot this:

"Bad news - must drop $650 on concealable Threat Level II body armor"

:dodgy:

It's getting bad out there folks...watch yerselves...

marvin-martian
08-14-2006, 08:59 AM
Bad news - Now I'll be focused on bills, instead of fun!

isnt that good news?

vikingshadow
08-14-2006, 12:52 PM
Marvin - nah, when school starts I tend to stay at school or at home and never go anywhere else. So, I get my paycheck and immediately pay the bills...kinda bums me out more since I wanna spend it on trips, junk food, toys and such. That's why I could drop so much on paintball in such a short time! In the summer, the money runs out of my house like the stench from Dragon's toenails....

Druid - not that bad in the 5th grade. Although there were a couple of boys in the past couple years that I labeled "potential shooters," meaning I thought they had the anger inside them to possibly bring a gun to school later on.

marvin-martian
08-14-2006, 01:30 PM
but isnt it a good thing that the money doesnt run out of your house so fast?

xNinja-Dolphinx
08-14-2006, 03:10 PM
I start tomorrow to, but its ok cause I don't really do anything anyways, the only moderate class I have is Calculus.

vikingshadow
08-14-2006, 05:15 PM
but isnt it a good thing that the money doesnt run out of your house so fast?

Well, sure! You're right there, but sometimes you just wanna go wild and all....I always manage to put back 10% of my check every payday, so it adds up quite fast. It's nice to have that buffer - if I could figure out how to buy the fun/nice stuff AND save money, that'd be even better! ;)

newkid
08-15-2006, 05:36 AM
First day of highschool TOMARROW :eek: :thumbdown:

WhatThaSmurf
08-15-2006, 02:29 PM
To emulate vike-

Bad news: I started school two weeks earlier than last year.
Good news: I graduate earlier now.
Bad news: I have AP exams after I graduate.
Good news: That give me more time to study for them.
Bad news: I will have just graduated from high school, and who wants to study shortly after that?

claustrophobia9
08-15-2006, 02:46 PM
this thread reminds my of this book i had when i was like 4. it was something like

fortunately ____ got to go to canada
unfortunately her plane exploded in mid air (yea.... in a kids book)
fortunately she had a parachute
unfortunately it didnt open
fortunately she landed in water (she would have died :dodgy:)
unfortunately is was filled with sharks
fortunately there was an island within swimming distance
unfortunately it was inhabited by lions (or something like that)

you get the point, it was a pretty twisted book of lies to give a 4 year old.

druid
08-15-2006, 03:46 PM
sounds like Mother Goose' messed up sister wrote that :dodgy:

DRAGON
08-15-2006, 03:51 PM
......... the money runs out of my house like the stench from Dragon's toenails....

HEY BUB.....I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK, YOU, YOU, YOU TEACHER YOU!!!!!!! I mean.......ah nvm - :o