PDA

View Full Version : Put my exhaust on

EmagWh0r3
01-06-2006, 07:29 PM
I been shopping around trying to find an exhaust that would not sound like a rice burner that you'd find on the typical civic. Im sure most know what a muffler sounds like that was bought off of ebay for $20 and put on the stock piping.. like a nuclear explosion.

I found the Apexi WS2, which is a recognized company and makes the quietest exhaust. This thing sounds amazing. Its not no muscle car, but at least it doesnt sound like crap and replaced my rusted up stock exhaust.

http://media.putfile.com/Drive-by-Apexi-WS2

http://media.putfile.com/Inside-Apexi-WS2

Drefish99
01-06-2006, 07:43 PM
WOw that is rnice!!!....

geeZus
01-06-2006, 08:29 PM
World Sports are very nice. I'm looking at getting one when I get an exhaust. I gotta figure out the direct I want to go with my motor, that'll change what I do for an exhaust.

EmagWh0r3
01-06-2006, 08:32 PM
WOw that is rnice!!!....

http://www.hondahookup.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_cry.gif

claustrophobia9
01-06-2006, 08:32 PM
sounds like my nissan maxima...

EmagWh0r3
01-06-2006, 08:47 PM
sounds like my nissan maxima...
Exactly, and how do maxima's sound? Nice. If it sounded like this, I would take it off and burn it. I wasn't trying to find something that would be instantly noticeable 10 miles away

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4714071359264253450&q=Exhaust

shunut
01-06-2006, 08:49 PM
Nice, reminds me of my civic,:(

Hoppy11
01-07-2006, 05:26 PM
That sounds really nice. How much was it? :D

Drefish99
01-07-2006, 05:53 PM
http://www.hondahookup.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_cry.gif

Sorry I mean nice :)

MatthewTheTheif
01-07-2006, 07:27 PM
is it just me, or is the vid really choppy?

nice anyway...very subtle

EmagWh0r3
01-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Once it loads, just refresh it and it should play smoothly. The exhaust runs for 500 shipped, but I got it for 400 shipped. :cool:

Hoppy11
01-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Dang, is it the whole system or just a muffler?

geeZus
01-08-2006, 02:33 PM
ITs a cat-back system. Or atleast every WS2 I've seen for sale is a cat-back system. The Apex-i WS/WS2 and the RS*R Exmag are too very popular exhausts for Honda guys. They produce a low not too much different from stock sound down low, but open up at WOT. The WS2 is also really nice because the muffler is black, and maybe the tail pipe too, so it isn't easily detected my the eyes of a fuzz. I would get one, but I believe there's a few better choices for what I'm looking at doing(moderately built motor). I'll just have to ride down the boardwalk at the beach in 5th gear at 25mph to keep the 298382139281329898249832084 cops down there from hearing it when I goto the beach.

claustrophobia9
01-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Exactly, and how do maxima's sound? Nice. If it sounded like this, I would take it off and burn it. I wasn't trying to find something that would be instantly noticeable 10 miles away

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4714071359264253450&q=Exhausti wasnt saying it was a bad thing, my maxima is nice, but it needs some stuff... and even though i havent posted a pic, ill say this... IT ISN'T PURPLE

03TiburonGT
01-08-2006, 07:18 PM
If you are getting this exhaust system for anything more than looks and sounds, then you need to take it a step further. You MUST, absolutely MUST buy some headers and maybe an intake if you are buying an exhaust kit for performance. Long story short, the stock headers are still constricting and buy buying a larger exhaust, you aren't really increasing flow meaning more horsepower/torque. The pressure is the same through the headers and thus through the exhaust resulting in 0 net horsepower gained.

That being said, if you got this just for looks and sound then you picked a great brand and model of exhaust. APEXi makes great products and I would reccomend them to anybody.

geeZus
01-08-2006, 07:23 PM
You still get gains without getting a header. Even if you do get a header, you are still running it through a cat, so either way you are still losing HP. I seriously doubt he is doing this for power gains, because the aftermarket is pretty weak on his car.

03TiburonGT
01-08-2006, 07:36 PM
You still get gains without getting a header. Even if you do get a header, you are still running it through a cat, so either way you are still losing HP. I seriously doubt he is doing this for power gains, because the aftermarket is pretty weak on his car.

You make some good points G. You may gain a few horses on an exhaust swap. But, you can get performance cats that don't "take away" as much horsepower and torque. I would also have to agree that he isn't doing this for power gains...sigh.

EmagWh0r3
01-08-2006, 09:20 PM
I mean, i'm trying to get some little power gains here lol. Main reason for changing the exhaust was due to my old one falling off, and I didnt feel like getting the stock system again since it was kinda expensive and I got this system for a good deal. I have a 4-2-1 DC sports header, which I gotta put in. As for the cat , I dont feel like dealing with the O2 sensor, and think its fine the way it is. I am gonna go to the dyno just for curiousity to see what kinda gains I did get, if any. I do feel the car get off the line quicker, and picks up speed quicker on the top end. 6th gen accords are slow, they have some kick, but were built for normal driving, so one of my goals is to make it look nice since I cant make it extremly fast. 16 sec car, beh, although I did beat my friends N/A MR2. The aftermarket for the 4cyl accord is alot bigger than the v6 models, and there is alot of room in the engine bay to tinker around with. I thought about either swapping a jdm h22 in there, as much of a pain in the arse it would be, or just throwing in a turbo there.

And just for a side fact, N/A engines need backpressure to create torque and HP, so making it flow too much would actually hurt performance. The piping on this exhaust is 2.25" in diameter, compared to 2.0" stock. I got the perfect diamter to not hurt anything, but just make it slightly better. :cool:

03TiburonGT
01-08-2006, 09:43 PM
And just for a side fact, N/A engines need backpressure to create torque and HP, so making it flow too much would actually hurt performance.

Incorrect!

You want zero backpressure not some backpressure as you may sometimes hear from a salesman or an oldtimer domestic V8 hot rodder.

there is this incorrect belief that having a little backpressure prevents the fresh air/fuel from shooting into the header at cam overlap (when both the opening intake valve & the closing exhaust valve are simultaneously, partially open). The backpressure supposedly "pushed" the fresh air/fuel back into the combustion chamber rather than having it go into the header. This shooting of fresh air/fuel from the intake manifold and intake port into the header cannot happen at cam overlap, since the pressure inside the header is already much higher than on the intake side , even when there is zero backpressure.

In reality, having more backpressure reduces the difference between the higher pressure in the head's exhaust port and lower pressure in the header and cat. You need this difference in pressure going from the head to the exhaust system or "pressure gradient" to keep the exhaust flow speed or energy at a high level. Having some backpressure during cam overlap and the exhaust stroke means that the exhaust gas must now push against something and therefore, this backwards force slows exhaust gas down.

This need for backpressure no longer exists when you have a properly tuned (timed) engine and a good stepped header. In fact, increased backpressure may lead to backwards flow or "reversion", where the exhaust gas travels backwards into the combustion chamber and dilutes the fresh intake charge at cam overlap. At the very least, it slows exhaust flow velocity or energy and prevents the creation of a vacuum for scavenging.

So please ignore the obsolete "you should have at least some backpressure" sales pitch. It's all about the creating high exhaust flow velocity/speed or energy leaving the exhaust port, in order for the header-cat-exhaust SYSTEM to do it's job properly (i.e. remove all the burnt exhaust gases and help pull in fresh intake charge by scavenging at cam overlap) and make power for you.

bigred76
01-08-2006, 09:43 PM
Simplified idiot proof version, please? :)

EmagWh0r3
01-09-2006, 07:59 AM
wow lol, I didnt think of it that way. I wonder how many people actually know this. Well, for at least turbo engines, I know for a fact that backpressure is their enemy.