PDA

View Full Version : is 14" too big for woods ball

shamrock
08-03-2006, 10:49 AM
hey i want to by a new, longer barrel for my spryder compact but i dont know how big would be too big, i know i want no less than 12" but is 14" too long to be runnin around the woods with??:confused:

Live2Play
08-03-2006, 10:53 AM
14 works fine for the woods

I would never go larger than 14 though.

shamrock
08-03-2006, 11:05 AM
thanks i think iv made my choice, 14" jj full tilt ceramic

claustrophobia9
08-03-2006, 11:10 AM
14 is perfect for everything.

Mech Warrior
08-03-2006, 11:15 AM
I have 12" and 14" barrels for woodsball. I wouldn't play with anything shorter or longer.

I'd love to find a nice 13". That would be perfect.

Ace24
08-03-2006, 11:35 AM
I use a 14" and sometimes put an APP barrel extension/ backing on it. Making the barrel 17"

Woodsball is usually the only time you could want a bigger barrel then 14". But the longer barrel does waste more air, and it doesnt really make too much difference.

TheRogueGnome
08-03-2006, 01:09 PM
lucky 13 barrels are hot

colonel_moo
08-03-2006, 02:38 PM
I use a 14" and sometimes put an APP barrel extension/ backing on it. Making the barrel 17"

Woodsball is usually the only time you could want a bigger barrel then 14". But the longer barrel does waste more air, and it doesnt really make too much difference.

not necessarily... i know plenty of people that use 16s in airball. i tried it and liked it, but im too cheap to buy a new barrel. its easier to push bunkers out of the way, so you can stay tighter in the bunker.

nbishop66
08-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Per-frigin'-fect for any-ball.

Ace24
08-04-2006, 10:19 AM
not necessarily... i know plenty of people that use 16s in airball. i tried it and liked it, but im too cheap to buy a new barrel. its easier to push bunkers out of the way, so you can stay tighter in the bunker.

Yeah but you waste alot more air just to push closer to the bunker... and idk about you, but I dont stay behind one bunker long. I hate when someone stays back the entire time... :dodgy:

thechubbss12
08-04-2006, 10:59 AM
I dunno sometimes you need the tight play... Pushing into the bunker has saved me 2 or 3 times from getting eliminated...

13-15 inches is my fave length for a barrel (Empire its have 15 inch barrel tips even though they say 14....). better for any style of play IMO.

bigred76
08-04-2006, 12:25 PM
Yeah but you waste alot more air just to push closer to the bunker... and idk about you, but I dont stay behind one bunker long. I hate when someone stays back the entire time... :dodgy:
:fishhead: That's me you're talking about there... lol. Back players lay down "covering fire," if you will, and allow the front and mid players to move up. They're a necessity.

I have tried a 16" like Moo has, and OMFG that rocked. I'm stuck with my 12" AA front, though... Too lazy to find a trade or buy one, especially when the 12" model is accurate already.

vikingshadow
08-04-2006, 12:56 PM
I keep hearing people say they "waste air" constantly when it comes to barrels. The air that gets "wasted" is minimal with these lengths. Maybe 20 shots at most, and there is NO significant air usage (or loss) between the 12", 14" to 16" barrels. Most fields have all day air anymore, so who cares about wasting 20 shots? I think someone mentioned it, and now it's a catch phrase that people latch onto without actually having tested it.

I've used all these lengths. On the air field, I like the 14" barrels because I kept banging my barrel tip of the 16" into the bunkers - I like to snap a lot and I have to back up some to do it, but wrapping is a breeze with a 16". In woods, I don't push through brush, so the 12" - 14" is perfect as well. However, I've been using a 12 in freak/AA combo and love it so I'm not planning on giving it up anytime soon.

colonel_moo
08-04-2006, 06:25 PM

first of all, i really dont think 2 inches of almost frictionless barrel is going to waste a whole lot of air like vike said. second, i donno where you play, but ive never been to a field where you actually had to pay for air. air is free with entry. lastly, i shoot a dm3, do you really think im too concerned with air consumption!? :p

its pretty much all preference.

edit: and by the way, i play front. staying tight in your bunker is important for all field positions, not just back. it doesnt matter if you stay there for 2 shots or empty a hopper and 4 pods at a bunker, if you are sticking your gun/arms out and get hit, you've just let your team down.

bamf-hacker
08-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Like I said in one of the other barrel length posts...

If you are playing woods ball the 16" barrel can be a benefit. I use both the 14" and 16" and if I am on a woodsball field that has a lot of brush I use my 16". It allows me to push aside brush to shoot or to push the tip of the barrel past the brush to shoot. Most of the time I use my 14" but it is handy to have both.