PDA

View Full Version : Computer performance

xtraking
08-03-2006, 07:56 AM
Okay guys, my computer has been pretty slow latley. Checked to see if i had virus, not that i know of, checked for adware and spyware, just the normal. So i look at my performance graph thing and its 100% with no extra program running that is not needed to run this system. So basicalyl its always at 100%. What caused this, and what can i do to fix it? Also my burning drive is not recognized anymore when i go to my computer, what could of caused that? I dont feel like buying a new comp either so i hope it will be fixed.

Dave

stylinbeaver
08-03-2006, 08:12 AM
I might have been that link in the JBDM6 thread. :D

pbgrandpa
08-03-2006, 08:13 AM
Okay guys, my computer has been pretty slow latley. Checked to see if i had virus, not that i know of, checked for adware and spyware, just the normal. So i look at my performance graph thing and its 100% with no extra program running that is not needed to run this system. So basicalyl its always at 100%. What caused this, and what can i do to fix it? Also my burning drive is not recognized anymore when i go to my computer, what could of caused that? I dont feel like buying a new comp either so i hope it will be fixed.

DaveAre you running Win XP? When was the last time you formatted the drive and did a fresh install of windows. Over time trash accumulates and clutters up the drive. This slows everything down. You may have a driver that's corrupted causing it not to see the CD drive. Usually a fresh install of windows will fix an ailing comp. If it's been over 2 yrs I'd try that. What spyware programs are you using if any. I use Adaware personal and Spybot Search&Destry They can be had free at Major Geeks .com.

claustrophobia9
08-03-2006, 08:21 AM
how many running processes do you have in the processes tab of your task manager. 28 seems to be "normal" from my expirience, anything more than 32 seems to be abnormal and you should look them up by typing them into google and finding out what they are ("_____.exe") generally speaking, you'll have some crap you can end like "schedulers" which basically look for updates.

xtraking
08-03-2006, 08:39 AM
do you mean system processes? or overall?

xtraking
08-03-2006, 08:42 AM
Are you running Win XP? When was the last time you formatted the drive and did a fresh install of windows. Over time trash accumulates and clutters up the drive. This slows everything down. You may have a driver that's corrupted causing it not to see the CD drive. Usually a fresh install of windows will fix an ailing comp. If it's been over 2 yrs I'd try that. What spyware programs are you using if any. I use Adaware personal and Spybot Search&Destry They can be had free at Major Geeks .com.

if i format it, wont it completley delete everything? I dont want that, and how do i do a fresh install of windows? I have adaware and spydoctor.

emf7301
08-03-2006, 09:16 AM
formatting the hard drive and reinstalling windows is the best and most effective method of getting your computer running right. It takes a few hours to do it and can be confusing if you don't know what your doing.

here's another way you could try: You could also try going to "my computer", right click the c: drive and select properties. Click on disk cleanup. You want to get rid of any downloaded program files, temporary internet files, recycle bin, temporary files, and both the offline files. That'll clean off a lot of crap from the internet which is where you get lots of stuff from. Then go back to c: properties and select the tool tab, run error checking. Make sure both check boxes are checked too. It will probably say you have schedule to have it run at start up so do that and restart your computer and let it run. Then, after error-checking, go back to c: properties and run defragmentation. Click defragment and go do something else because depending on how disorganized your hard drive is, it can take up to an hour or more. Try doing all that before you attempt to reinstall windows and let us know how it's running after that.

There's plenty more you can do by going into the registry and getting rid of start-up command for programs you don't need but if you delete the wrong one you can royally **** up your computer and then you would have to reinstall windows. so try what i have suggested and let us know how it runs after that. Also, give us your computer specs because something else you might want to consider is getting more RAM if you don't have much. Good Luck! :D

pbgrandpa
08-03-2006, 09:19 AM
if i format it, wont it completley delete everything? I dont want that, and how do i do a fresh install of windows? I have adaware and spydoctor.if you format the drive it will clear everything off. I always back up my important stuff to CD. But since the comps. not seeing your drive that's not going to happen. You wouldn't happen to have another CD drive you could swap out do you? The CD drive itself may be bad.

Live2Play
08-03-2006, 09:51 AM
If you do go the route of reinstalling windows, and since you cant save important files on a cd, do you have access to a flash drive? They plug right into a usb port. If you can save your files, I would re install windows anyways. If you need help how, we can walk you through it before you go to reinstall so you have everything covered. The speed of xp actually degrades over time which actually can only be recovered with a fresh install. Since your cd-rom drive driver is corrupted from the sounds of it, and your cpu usage is reading 100% constantly, I suggest a fresh install.

claustrophobia9
08-03-2006, 10:51 AM
do you mean system processes? or overall?
overall. you may also look into a good defrag then going into some of your main programs and "repairing" (some allow it some dont) this will make them run faster. i did that when adobe programs were getting all slow, now PS opens in >5seconds and is ready for working.

Mech Warrior
08-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Reinstalling Windows is an extreme measure. Don't do that until you've exhausted all other options.

Do me a favor: click on the Start button, go to Programs, then Startup, and tell me how many items are listed there.

Also, how many icons do you have in your systray (lower right corner, next to the clock)?

If you do nothing else, defragment your hard drive. See if that helps.

Have you run the "Add Hardware" wizard to see if it picks up the missing drive? Control Panel / Add Hardware.

xtraking
08-03-2006, 12:57 PM
mech i got 5 in the startup and 13 icons in the tray. I defragmented it before i left around 12? and it seems to of helped alot, my burner drive is still not there though. How do i access the add hardware wizard?

emf7301
08-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Glad to hear that defraggin helped. for your burner drive tho, the add hardware wizard is in the control panel. You might see if you can find new drivers for your cd-rom as well. The easiest way is to go to the control panel and open the system page. Click on the hardware tab and then device manager. It will bring up a whole list of all the hardware registered on your computer. Go to the dvd/cd-rom drives and find the drive that is having problems. Often if your computer knows there is a problem there will be a little yellow triangle next to the device with the problem. double-click the problem drive and a properties window will come up. click on the driver tab and click on update driver. Windows will automatically install an updated driver if there is one to be found. That's that. If that doesn't work then i'm not quite sure what it could be, but try that for starters.

Also, while you on the systems page, note what your CPU speed is (in GHZ), and your RAM size (in MB). Depending on the amount of RAM you have, it might help to get more to increase your speed. Hope it works! :D

Mech Warrior
08-04-2006, 08:14 AM
mech i got 5 in the startup and 13 icons in the tray. I defragmented it before i left around 12? and it seems to of helped alot, my burner drive is still not there though. How do i access the add hardware wizard?Start/Settings/Control Panel/Add Hardware

13 icons in the systray means you have a bunch of things running in the background. Depending on what they are, they're likely what is degrading your system performance. Normally you can double- or right-click on systray icons to see what they are and change their settings. Let us know what some of those things are, and we can tell you if you need them. Most likely you don't need all of them.

Also, go out to www.mlin.net and download Mike Lin's 'Startup Control Panel' freeware. It's a neat little app that allows you to manipulate the programs that run when Windows starts up. http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

colonel_moo
08-04-2006, 08:53 AM
reformating a computer feels like buying a whole new computer. you will get performance out of the machine that you forgot you had. if its been a while since you bought your computer, id reccommend reformating anyway, even if nothing is wrong. i usually reformat about twice a year. i usually just backup the entire "my documents" folder onto a DVD (i have tons stuff in there including music, pictures, and all the word documents/spreadsheets, etc ive created in the past 5 years. so yeah, it gets pretty big. if you dont have a dvd burner, id just backup the actual documents themselves.

durrell
08-04-2006, 09:48 AM
reformating a computer feels like buying a whole new computer. you will get performance out of the machine that you forgot you had. if its been a while since you bought your computer, id reccommend reformating anyway, even if nothing is wrong. i usually reformat about twice a year. i usually just backup the entire "my documents" folder onto a DVD (i have tons stuff in there including music, pictures, and all the word documents/spreadsheets, etc ive created in the past 5 years. so yeah, it gets pretty big. if you dont have a dvd burner, id just backup the actual documents themselves.

Thats what I'd do, I reformatted XP after downloading Vista and I ended up reformatting my entire hard drive and now I'm running a fresh XP install with the best performance I've ever had.

Tk-421
08-04-2006, 10:16 AM
how much RAM do you have

Ace24
08-04-2006, 11:06 AM
Use Spybot S&D, Adaware SE, Norton Antivirus 2006, and there was one more spyware protection/deletion program... but I forgot it.

Spybot, and Adaware you can DL for free from GOOGLE.

If that doesnt work, reformat it. BUT BE SURE YOU HAVE A REAL VERSION OF WINDOWS XP. Not an upgrade disk. The one that came with the computer will work if you bought a store bought one. Otherwise your screwed. I experienced this before... its not fun. Reformatting will fix everything, providing you back up your drivers and everything else, then run an antivirus program on the CD's you burned your files to. I had over 700 viruses on my computer when I got done with everything and Norton killed it all. Another great program to have is Norton Ghost. It saves what you computer is when you save it so you never have to go through the reformat again, it will just put your computer back to what it was when you finished reformatting, or whenever you save the Ghost file.

Another thing... If you have any lower then 512 RAM, I would suggest upgrading. Also what is your prossessor speed? Under 2GHz could cause your computer to feel like its running slow when you have alot of programs or files running or a game or two. 2Ghz is basicly the lowest any new computers will have on it anyway. Mine is like 6 years old and has a 1.98GHz prossessor, 512RAM, ****ty Intigrated graphics card @ 64 MB's. (Yeah rub it in, its Compaq haha.)

phatphil
08-04-2006, 01:45 PM
http://www.apple.com/

colonel_moo
08-04-2006, 07:22 PM
Use Spybot S&D, Adaware SE, Norton Antivirus 2006, and there was one more spyware protection/deletion program... but I forgot it.

Spybot, and Adaware you can DL for free from GOOGLE.

If that doesnt work, reformat it. BUT BE SURE YOU HAVE A REAL VERSION OF WINDOWS XP. Not an upgrade disk. The one that came with the computer will work if you bought a store bought one. Otherwise your screwed. I experienced this before... its not fun. Reformatting will fix everything, providing you back up your drivers and everything else, then run an antivirus program on the CD's you burned your files to. I had over 700 viruses on my computer when I got done with everything and Norton killed it all. Another great program to have is Norton Ghost. It saves what you computer is when you save it so you never have to go through the reformat again, it will just put your computer back to what it was when you finished reformatting, or whenever you save the Ghost file.

Another thing... If you have any lower then 512 RAM, I would suggest upgrading. Also what is your prossessor speed? Under 2GHz could cause your computer to feel like its running slow when you have alot of programs or files running or a game or two. 2Ghz is basicly the lowest any new computers will have on it anyway. Mine is like 6 years old and has a 1.98GHz prossessor, 512RAM, ****ty Intigrated graphics card @ 64 MB's. (Yeah rub it in, its Compaq haha.)

norton is no good. i used to have norton, but then i ran the trial version of nod32 and it found like 6 viruses norton didnt even know existed. and norton ghost? why would you pay for that when you can just system restore? also, although amount of ram matters, dont forget about ram speed, which is another huge factor.

claustrophobia9
08-04-2006, 07:28 PM
ya like moo said, norton ftl. it only finds "older" (like if you get the newest one, it wont find all of it until like a month later). its also far more annoying than any virus ive ever had. i think it has some line in the program that pertains to opening the autoscan/autoupdate durring lan parties and when you are running the most visual things you hvae.

emf7301
08-04-2006, 08:45 PM
norton is better than most other programs out there tho. On the autoscan and autoupdate, they won't come up if you go into the settings and turn them off. I myself haven't had any problems with it finding all the viruses, just not all the spam.

phatphil
08-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Norton is terrible. Even for Mac, Norton sucks. Browse VersionTracker (http://versiontracker.com) and find something better!

claustrophobia9
08-04-2006, 09:14 PM
get linux, get Fprot for free... its alot better than norton (only free for linux, costs money on windows) then use linux to decrapify your windows pc

Ace24
08-04-2006, 09:40 PM
Microsoft is garbage to begin with... if I had linux and I knew how to use it, I would... but my computer is a Compaq peice of shiz. So eff it. Norton works fine for me though... and yeah I dont like that auto update thingy but my computer wont run games to begin with so it doesnt bother me. Another thing, my brother is a computer engineer and goes around the US teaching major computer corp. how to run ****. He said that Norton when used right and kept up to date and in conjunction with the other spyware/adware programs he put on my computer will work fine.

claustrophobia9
08-05-2006, 06:43 AM
He said that Norton when used right and kept up to date and in conjunction with the other spyware/adware programs he put on my computer will work fine.
in conjunction with other programs that block norton.... he should know that antivirus companies dont like eachother and they block eachothers programs and flag them as malacious software.....

i have 0 problems with microsoft, people ***** and moan all the time but i have yet to see the same problems. maybe if people would play video games on their computers instead of clicking malacious links in someones stupid aim profile or myspace cuz you were "bored"

in my expirience the only good free program is webroot spy sweeper... but its still annoying so id say if you scan once a day for a week you can delete it and just run adaware. my school doesnt even have any anti virus stuff, the run adaware and heavy computer to computer protection and then if someone gets a virus (even though they make it difficult) they press the pretty button over the weekend and all of them get wiped and reset. they <3 sysrestore

xtraking
08-05-2006, 07:13 AM
Okay guys i got my performance down now, have no idea why its such a loud noise still, and no idea why my burner does not show up. It doesnt even open or anything.

Dave

MatthewTheTheif
08-05-2006, 07:38 AM
open up the computer case and make sure the drive has all the cords connected, the power cord to mine popped out a little while ago and it wouldnt work

scrappy
08-05-2006, 08:50 AM
make sure your computer isnt overheating. They do weird things when heat is introduced...

Tk-421
08-05-2006, 10:29 PM
loud noise eh....check and make sure there are no wires being hit by the fan blades, happened to me a few times..another thing you can do is either take an air-compressor or one of those fancy caned air deals and blow the inside of your case out..youll be surprised by all the dust thats in there

vwjimmy
08-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Solve the noise issue first.
Second, uninstall any anti virus, spyware software you are running
Third, uninstall all programs you put on it that you do not use
Forth, download Ad Aware SE and AVG Free and install them (both free) and run them both

xtraking
08-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Solve the noise issue first.
Second, uninstall any anti virus, spyware software you are running
Third, uninstall all programs you put on it that you do not use
Forth, download Ad Aware SE and AVG Free and install them (both free) and run them both

1. no idea how
2. no
3. i have
4. ive had them for a couple years.

xtraking
08-05-2006, 11:05 PM
and i think its just overheating because its not a noise wher something is being hit, or its not a screaching noise, its just a loud fan type noise.

Dave

edit: Does firefox take up alot of space for guys? its like 140 megs with only one tab.

sidekick
08-06-2006, 09:54 AM
When was the last time you cleaned the dust bunnies out of you system? You may have a large dust build up on you fan's blades. Make sure the intake areas are clear of dust. Also check the fan for your CPU and the fins on the heat sink. I clean out my system every month because of the dust that accumulates on the fans and inside the system.
As for your CD burner have you tried unplugging and reseating the ribbon cable? I had one of my drives disappear once and that was the problem.

Mech Warrior
08-15-2006, 08:30 AM
Check this page for more computer performance tips. Download and run his XP tweak program (scroll down to bottom of the page):

http://www.capehostpro.com/performance-tips.html

Also get this and run it: http://www.ccleaner.com/