Halo B Hopper...$89.99
Tournament Gear
*Jersey
*Slider Pants
*Headband
*Ect...............$500

Getting bunkered by a kid with a Rental

Priceless

That is so true when I go play around here. A lot of skill, No money from the parents. It is really funny watching the guys with expensive guns get pwnd by the guys in white shirts, blue jeans, tennis shoes, and a rental...Nothing funnier!!:D

vikingshadow
08-03-2006, 04:16 AM
Interesting. While I understand the purpose of your post, someone has to put a damper on it - may as well be me, this time! LOL! Sure, it's an old joke and one that when I first saw made me laugh, but don't find it to be as true as you. However, for some reason, I feel compelled to discuss this. I find this to be one of the ongoing problems with the sport - ones that I have generously labeled, "Arguments that Never Get Solved in Paintball."

While the saying is funny, your last bit has me wondering what the fascination is with the idea of a kid or adult getting "owned" by someone with a "lesser" gun. By everyone's own admission, it's the player not the gun, yet everyone eats it up when someone with a Spyder, for example, shoots someone with a Timmy or other upper level type gun. In fact, I see just as many, if not more, issues with people saying their Spyder can own high end guns, than someone with a high end gun saying Spyder's suck.

I think we have two extremes here - we have the snobbery of those who own higher end stuff, then we have the elitism of those who supposedly "can't afford it" or "don't have parents that buy stuff for them" saying they "pwn" those in the first group when 8 times out of 10 the person who has the high end stuff actually bought the stuff themselves. I personally think this is a carryover from sites such as PBNation, because the attitude just fits that site so well....There seems to be no place in the sport for those of us who just want to shoot what we want, wear whatever we want because it's comfortable and actually helps us, play however we want and have a good time. We seem to have to "fit" into one of these subgenres of the sport....

Yes, higher end guns are worth it, but you don't have to be an expert or a pro to own one. Many people just save their money and buy it later. Everyone has room to learn, even guys with DM6's, Shockers, G7's and Egos. They're just using a different gun to learn their skills - while the lower end guys are spreading the cost of the DM6 over several weeks, upgrading their lower end guns, the guys with the high end guns just got the cost out of the way early. PLUS, they will still be able to use their gun in any format they choose without feeling the urge to get something better. Not to mention the fact that resale later on will be much better for those with upper level guns, than one with an upgraded Spyder, no matter how great the gun is.

What I think would make a better tee shirt would be this:

Angel G7.........$1,345.00
Halo B Hopper...$89.99
Tournament Gear
*Jersey
*Slider Pants
*Headband
*Ect...............$500

Getting bunkered by a kid with a Rental......

Priceless

Getting lit up every single game and bunkered 4 times later thereafter by the kid with the Angel G7 and going home sore....

Life affirming realization that even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

splaturout
08-03-2006, 04:26 AM
While your statments are all very true....It is the same concept that happens in my street/drag racing world. Even though I have gone up again cars that SHOULD be faster than mine I still end up winning because A) the driver is bad (similar the the better player vs. better equipment) B) the car is slower and the person who challenged me had no idea (yet).

The reason it is funny and a highlight for many people is the same as when a smaller, less equipt whatever (army, car, paintballer, country, etc, etc,) wins because of either the drive to win or the skill that can out perform the better equipment. It all comes down to the player. I am sure there are pump players out there that would pwn my rear if I went against them. Same goes for everyone. There will always be a better, more advanced player out there.

I just think it is a funny t-shirt...because where I play it is not uncommon for a 16 yr old to pull up in a Benz, BMW, or better yet (I love this kid) a H1 hummer. They get out all there stuff that MOM and DAD (no other way) bought them because they complained enough. Not that it is a bad thing to be born rich...it is a blessing. It just always feels good when the kid who's mom and dad don't give them money at all because they can't afford it is able to be on the "same playing field" as those who are otherwise above them in every other area. That is what people like to see....The "underdog" climb to the top if even for only a moment.

I do like your shirt too....but that won't sell as well :D

vikingshadow
08-03-2006, 04:30 AM
I understand, I've just been frustrated with the sides that paintball has taken for well over a year now. It seems just when everyone is getting along, someone has to make something that makes one group or the other get all up in arms.

First, it was pump vs semi, then speedball vs woodsball, then rec vs tournament, then spyders vs intimidators. Then it was Ion vs the world, then it was SP vs Dye, then it was Ego vs Dye, then it was high end vs low end, I just wish people would say, "cool gun! Let's play!" even though I know that is totally unrealistic. Guess my old age is getting to me!

splaturout
08-03-2006, 04:36 AM
There will always be a comparision between two different POV...That is what makes this world GREAT!! It we didn't no one would ever stive to be make a better marker, be a better player, try something new. It really is hard though in a sport where there is not a lot of players to begin with and then to divide them up based on money, type of play, type of marker, and so on.

I am sure as we continue down the path of bps, type of guns we are going to start to see a larger divide between them. The biggest divide though will be on the speedball/woodsball players. There is already a large part of the industry geared toward one type or another. When was the last time a fully modded A-5 was on a speedball field against you?

Here in MN there will be a huge D-day battle. People go all weekend and have markers that you would NEVER see on a speedball field. Those people who show up with speedball type markers are looked down alittle more on (although they will say they are not) because they are not designed to go through water, mud, and so on.

I am with you....does it shoot a paintball? Lets play!!!