PDA

View Full Version : So i got kicked off the Football team...

thechubbss12
08-01-2006, 05:41 AM
Well as you all know i played (<--- played =() football and was a team captin for Moore High school (6a football). Well short story is i got kicked because i play paintball.... Long story read below...

Alright guy well acouple of days ago we got our football scheduals for the year, and well there was nothing suprising, just the normal 2 a days for a weeks with practices on sat and sunday. Thats was all cool until i got to Aug 19th... Well on that day my football had planned our team pictures... I have a big torney on aug 19 also we just scored a sponsorship with http://www.splatsavers.homestead.com and hes urging us to play in it... So i decide to talk to my coach about missing picture day. Well the convo went south realy quickly as soon as i told him i had a paintball torney.. He told me right then that i needed to set my prioritys strait or turn in my gear....

The next day (this morning) i went into his office as soon as i got there and said i needed to talk to him... well he was polite but after talking to him about it i told him that i will do what ever he wants me to do but i have to miss acouple of days of practice and maybe a game... Well to my surprise he told me to turn in my gear.... and well that was that.

No longer am i Sidney Brown a MHS Football captin and player... I ran 3-4 miles this mourning to try and take away my loss.... its going to be diffrent having all of the free time that football usualy takes... i guess its time for me to get a job and work my stuff off. cause now im going to have 4 extra hours in a day.

Discuss

Sandman_Bravo
08-01-2006, 05:44 AM
That really sucks. If that coach thinks you have to totally devote every ounce of your being to his team he's diluted and on a major ego trip. If you were near me I'd give you a job with me tomorrow as my new electrician's apprentice.

Mech Warrior
08-01-2006, 05:49 AM
Where are your parents in this picture? If you were my kid, I'd have been there with you to discuss this with the coach. There's no reason why you can't do both pb and football.

I could understand if the coach said you couldn't be a captain this year, what with missing some practices here and there, and maybe even a game. And as far as that goes, I'd probably encourage you to miss a pb tourney, rather than a football game, but either way, the coach should be willing to work with you.

The coach is right: priorities need to be set. But he needs to check his priorities, too.

Does your school have a website? Does your coach have an email address? I'd be glad to talk with him on your behalf.

Edit: found the school's website. Is it Coach Bays that you're dealing with?

thechubbss12
08-01-2006, 05:53 AM
Well if you dont live in Oklahoma then you cant understand the seriousness of Highschool football. Missing a game is like murder LOL... its bad and i dont want my parents in this... just because they will get mad and get nothing done...

Besides this is 6a football its a previlage to even be on the team much less a captin.

bamf-hacker
08-01-2006, 05:54 AM
Wow that sucks man. I guess the coach does not have kids. I have friends who's kids play 3 different sports at a time and sometimes they need to miss one or the other because of conflicts.

It is not like you are just going out to play walk-on to miss your football pictures. I think he needs to lighten up and let you be a kid, sorry young adult.

If you really want to play ask your parents to call him to discuss it.

mgsboy
08-01-2006, 05:58 AM
Niice, I'm on Sid's team that he quit football for.

Paintball is a sport and maybe that coach needs realize that it's not just some stupid hobby.

Btw guys if you knew this coach you'd know he is an *******. I think from what I heard yesterday that Sid handeled everything more maturally than the adult.

Sid > Coach, lol

Mech Warrior
08-01-2006, 06:01 AM
Well if you dont live in Oklahoma then you cant understand the seriousness of High school football. Missing a game is like murder LOL... its bad and i dint want my parents in this... just because they will get mad and get nothing done...I know what it is. I played high school sports at the highest levels in 2 different states, 30 years ago. I know your coach - not personally, but I know the type well.

Besides this is 6a football its a previlage to even be on the team much less a captin.Which should make him willing to work with you. You've already proven yourself.

But do yourself a favor: DON'T cop an attitude over this. If you really want to play football, keep going back to him and asking if there isn't some way to work it out so you can do both. Be willing to compromise, but let him know that pb is important to you and you have a lot of time and $$$ invested in it. Don't give up.

I found his email address. I'll shoot him a note encouraging him to reconsider.

Sandman_Bravo
08-01-2006, 06:02 AM
^Then you have nothing to be ashamed of Chubbs.

thechubbss12
08-01-2006, 06:05 AM
Nahh nothing should be done... it was not totaly his decision... i told him i would do what he thought i should do... I didnt tell him that im going to quit or not... I told him it was his decision and he made... im fine with the decision because it makes a point... It shows that he is not going to back down...

If you understood the kind of crap he took from our school board about hassers we are lucky to have him... seeing as the totaly crippled him makeing him put hazzers back on the team when he told them they would never play for him again (7 seniors). This year he is showing he has its power the only prob is im getting screwed... which i prob need.

I love this team and me if me getting kicked can help them then fine... because me missing practice deff doesnt help it....

TheRogueGnome
08-01-2006, 06:22 AM
Yo, is this your senior year?? You were a captain and he cut you that fast? wow thats harsh. Our Coach was ruff on us when it came to baseball season starting close to football also. But i think your doing the right thing. it sux you have to choose but choose the one you love

Sac
08-01-2006, 06:31 AM
rouge gnome, nice post count :dodgy:

i almost quit track my junior year for paintball, and i am sooooo glad i didnt do it, think of it this way, how much longer will you play football? and how much longer will you play paintball? the descision shouldnt be too hard.

Mech Warrior
08-01-2006, 06:31 AM
So it sounds like there's some history going on with this coach and team that makes this a delicate situation.

Football season is only 4 or 5 months. Paintball is forever. How would your pb team and sponsors deal with it if you explained the situation to them, and asked them if you could opt to play football when it conflicted with pb?

Or are you done with football at this point, as far as the coach is concerned?

thechubbss12
08-01-2006, 06:59 AM
I think i will be done with football... I will prob help my dad coach a little league football team this year.... Actuly get to do something that i have wanted to do since i was alittle kid...

This would have been my 11th year in a row to play... and well i was going to quit next year because paintball is a sport that i love and cant stop thinking about even at football practices... So although this decision sux i will live with it and be a better man for it because it was needed.

this would have been my Junior year and yea he cut me quickly but once again it needed to be done. Because my devotion to this team last year was perfect no missed days... and well if i were to miss a practice it would hurt me... so im kinda better off not playing.

DRAGON
08-01-2006, 07:11 AM
rouge gnome, nice post count :dodgy:

i almost quit track my junior year for paintball, and i am sooooo glad i didnt do it, think of it this way, how much longer will you play football? and how much longer will you play paintball? the descision shouldnt be too hard.

Next year I will have been into paintball for 20 years - :rolleyes:

I think whatever happens just seems to be your destiny. Chubbs must have been pretty damned good to be captain. Don't kiss your coaches :butwiggle: It sounds like exactly what he expects you to do. Deal with this with some dignaty. Sounds like your coach is trying to take that away from you. If you kiss :butwiggle: he's just accomplished taking more away from you. Some times in life you must save face and just move on. Some day you'll look back upon this and realize that it may not have been as shocking as you seem to be taking it. You may even laugh about it who knows? -

splaturout
08-01-2006, 07:13 AM
It really does suck that this is happening to you. I don't get HS sports at all....first off do you think you would stand a chance at going pro in football or paintball (I think I might know this answer.) Second, the world is a little bigger than HS sports. This coach is a little out there. Kinda reminds me of that Varsity Blues coach.

Seriously what does it matter if you miss a couple games and practices. My sis's BF is a amazing player for CSP here in MN and he made the huge mistake of putting sports in front of life. He almost lost his scholarship and was almost kicked out of college because he thought sports was the only way. The coaches encouraged him to miss classes so he could participate in some extra practices. Life is larger than Hs sports and has more to offer.

Don't let this get to you to much, yes it sucks and I am sure you are feeling down but just remember.....

If you can't be an athlete be an athletic supporter! :D

TheRedBarron
08-01-2006, 07:19 AM
IMO you were part of a football team first. That should be your priority, if the CAPTAIN/leader of my team came up to me and said they would be missing a few practices and a game or 2 I would have them turn in their gear too. Football was your priority you should have worked paintball around it if you would have rather had paintball you should have thought of that at the start of the season, you were captain, your team relys on you to be there day after day, if hte captain cant set an example who is going to? I hate to rag on you but I mean cmon now, being captain of this team I would imagine that you prob had some sort of scholarships lined up why would you want anything other then to be as loyal to your team and play your heart out? Paintball will always be there.

Sac
08-01-2006, 07:36 AM
Next year I will have been into paintball for 20 years - :rolleyes:

that was my point drago, he's got 1 year of football left and A LOT more paintball left. so he should enjoy the rest of his football time before it's gone and he regrets it, believe me, sports your senior year are the most fun you will have.

vikingshadow
08-01-2006, 07:39 AM
Ok, I'm taking a different route here. The coach had a point about perspective. Yes, football in Oklahoma is VERY important - more so than people really understand - to the fans, to the school, to the point of even affecting your college choice. Now, some say Texas is football crazy - well, you ought to see Oklahoma when it comes to that!

Question - since you were the captain of Moore, did you have a chance at a scholarship to play somewhere? Here's my point - paintball is only a game, but let's face it - few very rarely go very far with it. Football, on the other hand, can get you into a good college and an even better one if your grades are there. At least a walk on spot on a decent team.

Another thing is the general perception of the people around you. What is the attitude of the people around you. Not your teammates (mgsboy) but the older people who are going to employ you AFTER school is over? Are they going to remember the football captain, or the kid who quit so he could "shoot guns at other people and play war?" Face it, here in Oklahoma, paintball does NOT have the reputation it has elsewhere, and mainly because of the actual players in the game.

I think everyone is taking paintball out of perspective here. Not only is it JUST a game, it's not going to get you into college, nor advance your life in anyway. Maybe the coach is right, perspective is important here. Paintball is great, I love it and such, but how's it going to help you any in the real world? Football is also a game, but it HAS advanced several people in the real world. Plus, paintball will be there after football season is over.

If it were me, I'd think of the politics involved. Go into the coach, tell him I've been thinking and that he was absolutely right and I need to think about the team first. So what if kissing a little butt is necessary? You get ahead in the world, then let them kiss yours...

thechubbss12
08-01-2006, 09:30 AM
Heh the thing is i was not a captin because i was good... that perseption is alittle diffrent... I was good but not a starter... I was a captin because i gave everything i had to this program. I had the 110% moto sophmore year, like i didnt do homework often because i was studying plays and learning how to perfect my blocking schemes... Not to mention that i am a born leader... i dont follow for very long so that attitude made me perfect for captin option. Also we have more then one captin (100 kids on one team so think.. one captin doesnt work....).

Red i am the Captin of OKC Yayo and i understood my priorities and i knew that where i needed to be was not in football, i felt lead in sort of a diffrent position. Until about a month ago i never would have thought about missing a football practice much less quiting... I used to attend every day wether i had 104 fever, strep throut or any other ailement just to show that it is possible to tough any situation out... and Well i personaly got tired of it.

About the season only being a season long... No that doesnt happen... football last all year. We get 7 weeks off the whole year. 2 weeks after the season is over, Christmas week, and 3 weeks in the summer, then a few random weekdays when school is in (during the offseason) maybe adding up to a week. Granted it kept me in shape all year and was good but ehh... now that i think about it thats alot of practice.

Vike... i understand what you are saying but as of right now my team has incredbile potentioal to be one of those few who make it... In acouple of years you will hear OKC Yayo name being discussed in mag and on the net. Because we are all as devoted to this sport as much as i am...

Now about my Coach he is in no way a mean guy... actuly one of the most incredible speakers and crowd controlers i have ever seen in my life.. I would be truely lying to you if i sad he was mean. I will prob take some of his coaching techniques and apply them when in practices with my team.

hondafox400
08-01-2006, 10:40 AM
See I would have just told him you had a family event to go to out of state. Like a wedding. Thats what I did a few times to skip Saturday practices to go racing lol..

mgsboy
08-01-2006, 10:53 AM
See I would have just told him you had a family event to go to out of state. Like a wedding. Thats what I did a few times to skip Saturday practices to go racing lol..
But what you don't realize is that we are playing every tournie we can find and we practice every single week.

He would have had to make many excuses.

Nader
08-01-2006, 11:24 AM
so you wanted to miss picture day? that's it? lol is your coach a girl or something???

thechubbss12
08-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Well i also had a practice before or after pictures....

LOL No hes a man... but he has 2 daughters.....

MadMan66
08-01-2006, 07:27 PM
that sucks! i live 4 football, i can't imagine getin' kick off the team

Moe
08-01-2006, 08:55 PM
miss acouple of days of practice and maybe a game

You were considering missing a game? I would have kicked you off the team also. 10 games a year. I wouldn't have missed a single game my senior year (last year) for anything. And when I say anything I am pretty damn serious. Thats just how football is. During the season it has to be your one and only or you shouldnt be out there. You especially shouldnt be a captain. I give your coach props for doing what he did. You were more dedicated to paintball. It seems like he could see that.

edit: were you varsity captain, or fresh/soph, jv???

Sac
08-01-2006, 09:38 PM
alright i dont want to come down hard on you, but i really dont want you to get into tournies with some delusion that your first 5-man team you formed of friends is going to "make it". the last team to "make it" from rookie to pro w/o completely changing everything was Dynasty, and you guys are no dynasty, no offense, but in todays world of paintball only a select few make it and its almost completely out of the question for a whole team of friends to make it.

teams like LTZ who are starting to make alot of noise, they had financial backing from the beggining that most teams would sell thier kidneys for, thats what it takes, it's nearly impossible to find that.

i'm not just spouting off i've lived "the dream" and like everyone else except the select few reality came and smacked the **** outta me, it's just not gonna happen, so if you still want to do tournies seriously, take it for what its worth and enjoy it. maybe if your lucky and the cards fall right YOU YOURSELF will move up in the game, but i garuntee your 5-man team will not surivive.

[/harsh][/rant]

UKwithPride
08-01-2006, 10:01 PM
Football is dumb anyways...

Nader
08-01-2006, 10:34 PM
:yeahthat:

leed
08-01-2006, 11:04 PM
Dude, that sucks Chubbs, I will probably get booted off the lax team because of paintball, -shrugs- lacrosse is starting to suck now anyways.

With that, I got kicked off of Marv's Intarwebz....

DFSniper
08-02-2006, 02:10 AM
i hate coaches that do that. my rifle coach said that if we have ANY unexcused missed practices not to bother coming back. i said screw that and show up again anyway...let him chew me out, i'm not scared by fat ex-military guys. if your coach is so worried about having you on the team (i know how being a captain feels), then he should weigh the consequences of missing you for one game against having you off the team for the rest of the year.

thechubbss12
08-02-2006, 05:04 AM
Varsity...

Yea its not all bad... i lived for football for 10 years.... since i was 5 i have been playing football and i need a break... i might go back next year and just be a player... But as for now his and my decision stands strong...

On the bright side i can keep my self in better shape cause football is too easy.... I used to run after football games because i thought that i didnt get a workout haha... Gotta try and make it to running 8 miles before spring.

Nader
08-02-2006, 10:12 AM
looking for a workout?
Play real football!
:D

splaturout
08-02-2006, 10:19 AM
rugby?

emf7301
08-02-2006, 11:18 AM
looking for a workout?
Play real football!
:D
QFT

right on, soccer doesn't get near enough credit than it should. Soccer is the only worldwide sport.

yea that sux you got kicked off. I didn't make V Soccer my senior year but i was definitely better than some of the people that made it on the team. But eh, i had fun running cross country. I made friends with some people I had never really talked to before and we all had some friendly competition and support on race days. It also got me back into shape, which i have sadly let go back to crap so now it's back in the Aasics and back to running.