PDA

View Full Version : How old is this guy?

vikingshadow
07-29-2006, 11:38 AM
I thought this was interesting.

Stay with this -- the answer is at the end. It will blow you away.

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandfather about current events.

The grandson asked his grandfather what he thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

The Grandpa replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:

television
penicillin
Polio Shots
frozen foods
Xerox
contact lenses
Frisbees and
the pill

There were no:

radar
credit cards
laser beams or
ball-point pens

Man had not invented:

pantyhose
air conditioners
dishwashers
and clothes dryers!
and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and
man hadn't yet walked on the moon

Your Grandmother and I got married first, . and then lived together.

Every family had a father and a mother.

Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, "Sir".

And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, "Sir."

We were before gay-rights, computer- dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy.

Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.

Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.

We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.

Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.

Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.

Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.

We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.

And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.

If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk.

The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.

Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.

We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.

Ice-cream cones, phone calls, ride on a bus, and a Coke were all a nickel.

And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600, . . . but who could afford one?

Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon. In my day:

"grass" was mowed,
"coke" was a cold drink,
"pot" was something your mother cooked in and
"rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.
"Aids" were! helpers in the Principal's office,
" chip" meant a piece of wood,
"hardware" was found in a hardware store and
"software" wasn't even a word.

And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby. No wonder people call us "old confused" and say there is a generation gap..and how old do you think I am?

Do you have a picture of this man in your mind?

This man would be only 58 years old today!

See how far we've come in just a short time? Think what someone who is born today is going to be able to say in 58 years.....

durrell
07-29-2006, 11:54 AM
I've read that before, makes me glad I live where I do because alot of people still live by some of that stuff..

MadMan66
07-29-2006, 12:02 PM
some of that stuff is still good to live by today

DFSniper
07-29-2006, 01:21 PM
i was guessing pre-WWII...

vikingshadow
07-29-2006, 01:27 PM
What's weird is that I've seen some things invented in my time that just blow me away....but the biggest things are PC's and cell phones. When I graduated college the second time (1994) you couldn't find a PC anywhere. All we had were those little word processors. Now, look at us!

Other memorable things I've seen invented were satellite television, soft extended wear contacts, paintball, and bottled water - when it first came out, you could only find Evian! There's lots more, but it hurts my head, and makes me feel really old, to think about them...what's next?

phatphil
07-29-2006, 08:18 PM
In 50 more years we are all going to live in bubbles with built in mini fridges and fun size candy bars.

durrell
07-29-2006, 08:26 PM
In 50 more years we are all going to live in bubbles with built in mini fridges and fun size candy bars.

Screw that, I'm going to live the high life and have king size candy bars.

phatphil
07-29-2006, 08:33 PM
Screw that, I'm going to live the high life and have king size candy bars.
Of course... the greedy one with a double bubble. :dodgy:

thechubbss12
07-29-2006, 09:00 PM
Heh.... yea people suck....

Although Rock music and moms lullabys dont mix....

marvin-martian
07-29-2006, 09:05 PM
Although Rock music and moms lullabys dont mix....
the moms in a rocking chair

Moe
07-30-2006, 08:52 AM
I've seen that before. Really does show how much times have changed. I would be lying if I said I wasnt worried about how the future is going to turn out.

vikingshadow
07-30-2006, 12:38 PM
You know, when I was in college (taking classes like Fortran, colbalt, and basic before Windows came out :rolleyes: ) the teachers were all talking about how life would be so much better because computers and such were going to help us sooooo much...

What I've seen is that life is a lot more complicated, hours at work are longer - paperwork (in a paperless world, no less) is never ending, and we totally rely on computers now. One goes down, and we're kaput!

Funny thing, my dad used to tell me to go to plumber's school because when the computer revoluion took over, we'd need plumbers like crazy! Nowadays, plumbers around here get 60 bucks and hour just to come to your house and tell you that it's going to take 4 hours and cost 200.00 for parts...guess he was right!

Don't even get me started on cell phones....

claustrophobia9
07-30-2006, 12:41 PM
I've read that before, makes me glad I live where I do because alot of people still live by some of that stuff..
i think vike posted it on the old forums.

no, really im almost positive.

splaturout
07-30-2006, 12:44 PM
This is a good thing to at least point out so that people can better understand the thinking process of people who never had that stuff. My Great G-ma passed away 2 years ago and we starting to think about this stuff. She was born in 1908. She almost made it to 100. Think about what her life was compared to even those that are 54 or older. Amazing isn't it.

leed
07-30-2006, 01:25 PM
Didn't Egyptian Pharohs used to wear earrings? If not, then oh well. That is pretty interesting though, but my dad is a little under that age, and some of those things aren't true. But it's a little confusing, because is he talking about the year he was born, or the year he turned 25... Because I'm getting confuzzord now.

vikingshadow
07-30-2006, 02:26 PM
He was saying that these things have been invented since he was born, not before.

i think vike posted it on the old forums.

no, really im almost positive.

I did? I don't remember. Oh, well - still a cool thought!

Berserker
07-30-2006, 02:44 PM
Who care about old ppl? The younger gen is the wons that maek teh dif in the future. Rly!

vikingshadow
07-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Um, ok????? I guess that MAY have been an insult - but I don't know for sure!

I'll hold off on you for now, but I'm watching you! My post is the thunder. Now, watch out for the lightning! :cloud:

Berserker
07-30-2006, 03:06 PM
oooooo your watching me! Yes sir mr mod. What dyou mean by lihgtnig?

Ok Im just playing. I don wan to step on toes so I take back waht I sad.

DRAGON
07-30-2006, 03:13 PM
oooooo your watching me! Yes sir mr mod. What dyou mean by lihgtnig?..........

He's teh lightening and I'm teh thunder - :cool:

bigred76
07-30-2006, 04:06 PM
What did he just say? :confused:

splaturout
07-30-2006, 04:30 PM

I wonder how he/she would do on the typing test? At least the getting the words wrong? :rolleyes:

bamf-hacker
07-30-2006, 06:22 PM
Wow Vike, I now have a whole new respect for my parents. I will be more patient with them when they don't understand something they got in e-mail, or why they cant relate to us when our DVR messed up and did not record a show...

once again you provide a great post!

phatphil
07-30-2006, 06:57 PM
sOmEt1m35s i lkie 2 TLK 1N 3nglish adn ues grraamar so plp underrtsadn me.

Who care about old ppl? The younger gen is the wons that maek teh dif in the future. Rly!

Oh ****, we have something in common! :dodgy:

DFSniper
08-02-2006, 02:37 AM
reminds me of the song Gravedigger by the Dave Matthews Band:
Cyrus Jones 1810 to 1913
Made his great granchildren believe
You could live to a hundred and three.
A hundred and three is forever when you're just a little kid
So Cyrus Jones lived forever.

TheRogueGnome
08-02-2006, 04:21 AM
i think there is only a few words used/spelled correctly in this sentence..

oh and BTW i was born before the internet was created.

splaturout
08-02-2006, 04:27 AM
Yea...I didn't grow up with computers....They were around when I was about 8 but living in a 3rd world country with no power besides the solar panels that charged a car battery for fans and a generator for when we need more power there was no connection to the outside world! I loved it!!!!!