PDA

View Full Version : Spyder TL-R Upgrades

easily addicted
01-05-2006, 01:39 PM
Hello! I recently bought a TL-R and now realize life would have been easier buying the TL-X, even though I really like this gun. I've only owned it a month, but my son and I have had a ton of fun playing paintball with some friends. He's one of the toughest 9-year-olds I know. Plus, its one of the most addictive games I've ever played.

Here's the question: what upgrades can I do to this gun? What I'd like to do is put on a better trigger to make it faster and put some sort of gas gauge on there to know how much is left in the tank. Nothing major. Any advice on how/if I can? I read another post that said you have to change the VA and regulator first, I believe, but I've only been playing for a month and honestly, I'm not really sure what they are. Thanks ALOT for any help.

druid
01-05-2006, 03:16 PM
OUR BIBLE HAS EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO KNOW (http://www.ottersccustoms.com/)

that will definately answer 99% of your questions. Click "Spyder Pages"

bamf-hacker
01-05-2006, 05:24 PM
What ever you don't get from the "Bible" then ask it here. Lots of smart ballers here and you will get good advise....

Welcome to the Boards and Sport.

HacKeR

SGTCOFFEE
01-14-2006, 03:19 PM
This is a fairly easy triger mod that olglie booglie gave me and it really does great things for the factory trigger. so if you are comfortable with taking things apart give it a try.
http://acp-products.com/tutorial_mech.html

ooglieboogliebob
01-16-2006, 07:42 PM
haha ... u spelled my s/n ... really weirdly, but yeah ... i do like that trigger job over the others

j20owner
01-18-2006, 10:20 PM
Oh man!! That trigger job bit is impressive!!! Makes me want to go out and buy a Spyder even more! Thanks for sharing that!!

BTW, do you think that would work on a Viewloader Triton gun? That's what I have now, and the internals look almost exactly the same as what's in your tutorial.

ooglieboogliebob
01-25-2006, 05:51 PM
it works for all spyder clones ... so icon, piranha, viewloader, brass eagle ... yeah .. a bit of them .. and it should work

bigred76
02-06-2006, 06:58 PM
:yeahthat: Viewloaders are the same basic design, so yes, the mods shown there would work. :)

easily addicted
02-07-2006, 06:28 AM
Quick question here---how much does that trigger mod cost? I'm thinking about upgrading the trigger, but I think that's about $180. I feel like this gun is pretty loud as is. I'm wondering if I should just pony up the extra hundred and get an Ion. That thing's awesome.

Thank you.

btw---i still haven't looked at the link for the trigger mod, so I'm assuming its the upgrade to electronic. Also, if the trigger mod bumps up rate of fire a lot, can i still use the gravity hopper, or would it REQUIRE an electronic hopper?

SparkyGT
02-07-2006, 01:53 PM
I've got the trigger mod on my tlx, it works awesome, keeping it that way for those wet days when ya wouldnt want to mess up an electric trigger.

ooglieboogliebob
02-07-2006, 06:29 PM
nope, the mod is for a mechy trigger ... an electronic mod would just consist of magnet mods, 50g switch, and an adjusted trigger ... heh ...

This mod would probably cost around ... 0-3 bucks ... depending on what material you can find .. that would work

easily addicted
02-08-2006, 03:39 AM
I got everything put back together after fabricating some material for the sear pin. Trigger mech feels great, but the gun will not re-cock itself after firing. Too much material on the sear pin, or is washer backstop on top of the trigger too thick? I got it to work pretty good once, but took it back apart to get it perfect, and now it won't cock. It will if I pull on the cocking thing on top of the gun, but won't do re-cock itself after firing.

Any ideas? I ran out of time last night. Thanks

covert24
02-08-2006, 06:07 AM
can u take soem pix of ur job? that would help me and some other ppl out.

bigred76
02-08-2006, 07:03 AM
The front slack is too low, try making it so the trigger is farther forward (shave some of the shim off the top of the trigger or otherwise adjust).

easily addicted
02-08-2006, 08:12 AM
The slack in the trigger makes sense. The first time I put it back together, it wouldn't re-cock automatically, but would if I pushed a tiny bit on the back of the trigger. I could hear a click (which I now think was the sear falling back into place) and the gun would fire. I'll check that out tonight. As far as pics....I think I'm the only one left on earth without a digital camera. Or camera phone. So, no go.

Other than this minor problem, which I think I can fix tonight, this mod is incredible. Can't wait to use it. I think its going to save me about $400 because I was about to buy an Ion.

easily addicted
02-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Ha!! Beautiful!! Trigger mod is done. I bought a pack of 3/16" aluminum rivets from home depot, used a dremel to cut the head and washer off the nail, used that as a sear stop, and cut an old piece of teflon mountain bike gear housing that I used as the slack stop to go inside the spring. Then, I took a pretty flat washer (not sure the width) and cut a tiny piece to fit on top of the toe of the trigger. Put everything back together, and it works like a champ. Its gotta be almost twice as fast as stock. My gravity hopper will never be able to keep up.

Now that I learned how to do it, my son's gun is next. Thanks to all of you for your help.

bigred76
02-08-2006, 07:16 PM
No problem. Glad we could help. :D

As far as speed, I can hit about 10-12bps with my modded frame. Way faster than the 5bps I was getting before. ;)

ooglieboogliebob
02-10-2006, 04:16 PM
hah yep, i had to use mechy for a long while ... and it should do you good :), and if it's modded right, it should do you even better :)