PDA

View Full Version : What are you (mark all that apply)

claustrophobia9
07-21-2006, 01:55 PM
MARK ALL BEFORE SUBMITTING VOTE

well i really just wanted to make a poll that took advantage of the multiple options ability. so here it goes. what are you, you may mark extras, poll will be up shortly. please look things up in www.wikipedia.org if you do not know what they are. poll is public and multi options enjoy (if you see this before there is a poll, cool off come back in 20 min)
Determinists:view that all events are the necessary results of previous causes, that everything that happens has a cause.
Incompatabilists:view that there is no way to reconcile a belief in a deterministic universe with actual free will.
Transhumanists: Use of technology (in almost all forms) to remove weaknesses from the human form.
Libertarianist:hold that individuals do have metaphysical freedom and which therefore rejects determinism.
Indeterminism:a form of libertarianism that holds the view that people do have free will, and that free will actions are an effect without a cause.
Compatibilistsview that free will still emerges out of a deterministic universe even in the absence of metaphysical uncertainty. Compatibilists may define free will as arising from an inner cause, such as thoughts, beliefs, and desires. (Note one can be determinist and compatibilist at the same time)
Humanists: generally believe in upholding values and morals in the expansion of technology.
Atheists: Believe there is no god or superior being
Theists: Believe in a god or superior being of some kind.

marvin-martian
07-21-2006, 02:01 PM
better not be 20 mins...

claustrophobia9
07-21-2006, 02:02 PM
better not be 20 mins...
ok i got it. and guys... this isnt a religious post, its a philosophy of humans post, and i doubt many of you have any idea what all of these are, so please look them up, the first half can be found under "free will" other option added becaus i had 2 more and couldnt choose just 1

marvin-martian
07-21-2006, 02:04 PM
ugh, now i have to look things up.

marvin-martian
07-21-2006, 02:13 PM
voted

marvin-martian
07-21-2006, 02:17 PM
might want to put that into your first post ^^

marvin-martian
07-21-2006, 02:22 PM
eh, i shouldnt have even voted for the thiest/athiest thing. im more agnostic...

claustrophobia9
07-21-2006, 02:24 PM
eh, i shouldnt have even voted for the thiest/athiest thing. im more agnostic...
technically thats theist, you dont have to define a superior being of some kind in order to believe in it. make a note, marv isnt teh atheist

claustrophobia9
07-21-2006, 02:30 PM
pman, did you screw up your ballot?

marvin-martian
07-21-2006, 03:26 PM
what a popular thread...

pman15
07-21-2006, 05:16 PM
pman, did you screw up your ballot?

ummm no i just voted myself as a determinist

claustrophobia9
07-21-2006, 05:24 PM
ummm no i just voted myself as a determinist
ok... but it was mark all that apply, its kind of hard to be niether an atheist or a theist, or maybe im wrong.

claustrophobia9
07-21-2006, 10:27 PM
90 views and 11 posts and the orange juice poll gets 65 to 12.... the words arent THAT big

ooglieboogliebob
07-22-2006, 01:08 AM
*cough* yes they are *cough* ;)

thechubbss12
07-22-2006, 05:55 AM
I voted for the two oposites.. Detreminist and compatibalist... just becasue my views will change daily...

claustrophobia9
07-22-2006, 06:35 AM
I voted for the two oposites.. Detreminist and compatibalist... just becasue my views will change daily...
*looks back to see definitions* you actually can be both, its called "soft determinism" if you are both deterministic and incompatibalistic it is called "hard determinism"

personally i am a hard determinist. I, like God, do not play dice. (e-cookie 2 ne1 who gets either of the references)

but although i am a hard determinist, i do not resent the illusion that i believe to exist, rather i live it in a fuller understanding. sometimes i find myself lost in "free will" but i remeber and its easier to find a solution.

vikingshadow
07-22-2006, 08:21 AM
Bah - why label everything? Just live your life and who cares what "category" you fall in?

And comparing yourself to God? Shame, Claus! :p

Hob Hayward
07-22-2006, 08:38 AM
I'm kinda determinist, I think everything happens because of previous actions, but it doesn't have to have a real purpose.

claustrophobia9
07-22-2006, 03:56 PM
And comparing yourself to God? Shame, Claus! :p
the quote was V from the movie, V for Vendetta. V was reffering to the resoning of Albert Einstein's search for something more than quantum mechanics when he said "God does not play dice" (but (s)he does play skiball - another e-cookie up for grabs)

marvin-martian
07-22-2006, 04:05 PM
jay and silent bob ftw!!

thechubbss12
07-22-2006, 09:20 PM
Vike FTW.... Old age can only make you smarter....

claustrophobia9
07-23-2006, 06:28 AM
Vike FTW.... Old age can only make you smarter....
.......and then you forget it all.:(