PDA

View Full Version : Do you have Upgrade/Modify Itis?

bamf-hacker
07-12-2006, 05:29 PM
OK so as many of you know I cant stop upgrading and modifying my markers and equipment.

How many of you also have this disease?

and what is your vice as far as modding/upgrading.

Me- Paintball (obviously) and Computers

UKwithPride
07-12-2006, 05:30 PM
OK so as many of you know I cant stop upgrading and modifying my markers and equipment.

How many of you also have this disease?

and what is your vice as far as modding/upgrading.

Me- Paintball (obviously) and Computers

Paintball, I want to, but money is an issue, lol.

Also, my ears, I got addicted to stretching.

Hossy
07-12-2006, 05:36 PM
i would like too, but its not my main thing, as i dont always have alot of money, if u know what i mean

timmyshoota
07-12-2006, 05:44 PM
I have the money, I just don't have the gun for that long.

pman15
07-12-2006, 05:44 PM
use to not be able to since i had no money for paintball but i got a lot of money right now so i see what im gonna get next

pman15
07-12-2006, 05:46 PM
I have the money, I just don't have the gun for that long.

*cough,cough*,gun whore.lol

Hossy
07-12-2006, 05:50 PM
*cough,cough*,gun whore.lol

your cool :dodgy:

claustrophobia9
07-12-2006, 06:54 PM
id rather build a gun than buy one.

splaturout
07-13-2006, 03:57 AM
my addiction is My Cars, My House, and My Cabin. Once that is done, what $ is left over I try to upgrade my marker. I try to put my $ where I will get a ROI (Return On investment) first and fastest.

thechubbss12
07-13-2006, 07:29 AM
My return when upgrading my markers.... Which i also dont keep for very long (3 months tops) is the 4-10 breaks on someone that i just lit up....

I cant help it.... if i own a marker weither i can afford it or not i am upping it.... ADDICTED.

meruhl
07-13-2006, 07:46 AM
On another forum I participate in, we refer to this as having GAS: Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

I've always liked to take things apart and understand how they work. I try to only do upgrades that make practical sense for my purposes. My son and I only play woodsball right now, and our mech Spyders work great for that. The only ups that really make sense to me, for me, are barrels, anti-siphon/on-off valve kits on the tanks, and spring kits. I've talked myself out of regulators, just because the really good ones cost more than I'm willing to spend for our recreational use, and besides, I don't think a reg is really necessary on a stock "high-pressure" Spyder.

If you find yourself upgrading just to upgrade, then, imho, you gotta ask yourself, "why?". What am I trying to accomplish by buying all this stuff? Does it really make me a better player, or do even really care about that?

I may pick up some inexpensive ups, just for aesthetic appearance. For example, I may pick up a 32* velocity adjustor knob, just because it has that knurled knob on it. I like k-nurled k-nobs. Oh, and I may pick up one of these LPCs on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/GT-Spyder-Low-Pressure-Chamber-4-Paintball-Gun-NICKEL_W0QQitemZ270007093983QQihZ017QQcategoryZ105 54QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) for the same reason (knurled). Or I might not. No big deal.

That brings the whole issue of 'personalizing' your marker, which is fine, I suppose, so long you're not obsessed with it.

btw, this would be considered 'obsessive behavior', not an 'addiction'.

Sandman_Bravo
07-16-2006, 05:23 PM
You KNOW my answer to that!

vwjimmy
07-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Is there anyone at KUSA that I haven't bought a piece or part from?!? lol...
I tend to get 'tunnel vision'....i.e. get into 1 thing until I find the next....

DFSniper
07-17-2006, 05:12 AM
ive spent $255 on a $120 spyder (not including tank or harness), dremelled the hell out of a $15 victor body (hopefully for sale when im finished), and my home mod list:

polished 2 sets of internals
1 modded valve & valve stem
2 modded triggers (mech & electro)
2 modded trigger springs
modded feedneck
modded stock ESP grips
modded board wiring (cables were too short)
modded 50g switch (i think its 50 grams..)

and right now im debating on:

Halo B, clamping feedneck, HPA

-or-

my friend's Washburn guitar

edit: as for non-paintball: computers and a car (when i get onei a year...)

bamf-hacker
07-17-2006, 05:14 AM
Option A :)

Halo B, clamping feedneck, HPA

DFSniper
07-17-2006, 05:29 AM
bamf, i'm almost always broke (dont get paid much) and i hardly play anymore because of the money and distance, but i might start again because i think i found a ride. oh, and i'm still about $150 short on either one of my options.

thechubbss12
07-17-2006, 06:52 AM
I tend to get 'tunnel vision'....i.e. get into 1 thing until I find the next....

Good question Jimmy... LOL...

Meurhl.... Olbsesive... no i dunno about that... it might be that i am addicted to spending money on paintball... but if i dont spend any money with in a few days i begian to have cold sweats.... and start shaking... lol

bamf-hacker
07-17-2006, 06:56 AM
it might be that i am addicted to spending money on paintball... but if i dont spend any money with in a few days i begian to have cold sweats.... and start shaking... lol

OK so I am not the only one with the documented case of the PB upgrade shakes :)

I have PB online store bookmarked so I can go and get my fix. Sometimes I even load up a basket and don't buy anything :)

meruhl
07-17-2006, 07:42 AM
Good question Jimmy... LOL...

Meurhl.... Olbsesive... no i dunno about that... it might be that i am addicted to spending money on paintball... but if i dont spend any money with in a few days i begian to have cold sweats.... and start shaking... lol
The only known cure for this is a WIFE.

Although even that's not 100% effective. :dodgy: (see hacker's post)

vikingshadow
07-17-2006, 08:40 AM
Meruhl - Definitely not that effective - been married almost 17 years and I've been known to drop a lot of money, quite frequently, into paintball. I've upgraded almost every gun I've ever had, and she only brings it up if I ever complain about her shopping habits....sucks having a wife with smarts! My problem is I always bought new, never really liking to buy used for some reason, which really added up over time.

I don't have it as much now, since I haven't gotten a new gun that needed anything in quite awhile. The phantom could get a few more changes, but not really worth it, and the Angel is still on the auction block so I don't wanna drop more into that one. BUT, I could conceivably get a new gun and start upgrading again.

Chris Cole
07-17-2006, 09:05 AM

Want to buy some more stuff? :D

I only do performance upgrades, I could care about looks.

vwjimmy
07-17-2006, 02:42 PM
The only known cure for this is a WIFE.

Although even that's not 100% effective. :dodgy: (see hacker's post)
My wife of 20 years is all to happy to get rid of me into the shop to mess with my markers.....lol

Sandman_Bravo
07-17-2006, 02:59 PM
My wife of 20 years is all to happy to get rid of me into the shop to mess with my markers.....lol

(sorry, don't want to hijack the post but...)

You're lucky Jimmy, my wife of 13 years won't let me alone. When I disappear into the shop she says she's a "paintball widow", or a "kayak widow", etc., whatever I'm spending time with.

vikingshadow
07-17-2006, 03:36 PM
Mine's like jimmy's - all too happy to get rid of me for awhile. Not too happy with the money, or having to spend so much time alone with the kids, but otherwise....She does play from time to time, though.

vwjimmy
07-17-2006, 04:00 PM
I have never got my wife on the field but.....
I was testing the new settings on my t board w/eyes in my Fenix and she decided she wanted to pop off a few....
A fresh 140 into my zeggy...she walked it off as fast as I have ever seen it fire!!!!!
Maybe it is a good idea that she stays at home when we play!!! lol
PS She is the bomb wife....all props I can give :D

splaturout
07-18-2006, 04:33 AM
I have only been married for 4 years and we now have a 4 month old....sooooo doing anything is an up hill battle. I guess when you get married and have a child you are not allowed to do anything with out them no matter how short, or if you do you will hear about how hard it was while you were gone. (Keep in mind our child is easy to take care of, he sleeps through the night since 1 month, is always happy, and just needs food and a diaper change now and then)

I am guessing someday she will make me go out into my shop but right now my shop is going through withdrawl!!

meruhl
07-18-2006, 05:21 AM
I have only been married for 4 years and we now have a 4 month old....sooooo doing anything is an up hill battle. I guess when you get married and have a child you are not allowed to do anything with out them no matter how short, or if you do you will hear about how hard it was while you were gone.What's your point? :D

splaturout
07-18-2006, 07:13 AM
no time to upgrade/play paintball. My paintballing has been limited to going out back and firing at the trees (and having my dog try to retrive them without much success.) Most of the married men in here will most likly understand.

Sandman_Bravo
07-24-2006, 06:22 PM
Meh, three kids later and nothing's changed. I still have to fight for "my leisure time". You will find time in the wee hours of the morning, or late at night do upgrade/work on your marker. I can't say I feel sorry for you though; it's sort of a right of passage type thing. Nothing can bring you as much happiness or as much turbulance as a wife & kids. That's my zen for now grasshoppers.

bigred76
07-24-2006, 07:29 PM
Hahahaha... If I had money like Dan, I'd have WAY more stuff... lol. Just look at my 'Cocker. ;)

splaturout
07-24-2006, 07:43 PM
Yea but the paintball thing is (sorry to say) the last leisure item that I would fight for. My true passion is the car thing. That is what I fight the most for and by the time that is done I am losing the battle for the paintball thing. You are correct about the early morning and late night as the bet time for that. Good ZEN!!