PDA

View Full Version : blu ray FTL?

claustrophobia9
07-12-2006, 01:04 PM
its not looking good for blu ray in the standardization fight between it and HDDVD.

blu ray has some serious downfalls and a new coalition:

"Universal Studios Home Entertainment, Warner Home Video, Paramount Home Entertainment, HP, Intel, Microsoft and Toshiba today announced the formation of a new trade organization, the North American HD DVD Promotional Group, Inc., at the Video Software Dealers Association 2006 conference. The non-profit group will promote the companies' common interests in the success of HD DVD and to educate consumers on the quality and value of HD DVD. "

looks like sony better bend over and take it...

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/11335/North-American-HD-DVD-Promotional-Group-Formed/

full story. sony looses another standardization of media because they selfishly hold the technology to themselves.

it makes sense to me, i mean who wants a disk that scratches 6 times easier than a cd?

marvin-martian
07-12-2006, 01:07 PM
if sony keeps the blu ray for the ps3, im not getting one

claustrophobia9
07-12-2006, 01:08 PM
Davidth3Great (4:02:17 PM): if sony keeps them, im not getting a ps3

marvin-martian
07-12-2006, 01:09 PM
i just said that ^

Ace24
07-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Lol... Honestly, I dont care if they scratch easier. I take really good care of my games, I will never buy the sh**box, and Sony as well as Nintendo will always have my service.

(Although 600 for any system is a little steep)

claustrophobia9
07-12-2006, 01:13 PM
do you have any idea how easy it is to scratch .1mm of protective film... you could breath on it and the disk would scratch. and xbox is better than any pile you want to buy, but that isnt what this thread is about so end of that discussion

Ace24
07-12-2006, 01:21 PM
The Xbox has decent hardware... but ****ty games and right now they JUST started making origonal titles for the 360. They were all computer games when the system first came out. The Halo series is the ONLY good shooter series on the Xbox, aside from the Unreal series (Both are computer games). Another cool thing is that Bungie is dropping the contract with Microsoft and becomming a universal system developer for the Halo series and other games. :Cheers:

Sony and Nintendo (Nintendo is the First and will always be the best platformer out) come up with origonal ideas that you can not get on the computer. I am not going to spend $50 on a game for a platform taht I can get on the computer and play with a mouse and keyboard. The PS3 isnt even finalised on what they are going to do with it yet. With new technology becomming available every day, I am sure they will come up with something. They always have. Sony is IMO one of the best electronic developers in the world. All of my Sony products have lasted me forever and have never given me problems.

I could write pages of information proving that Microsoft will never be able to stand up with the other platformers. I will also end this post on the note that all the Xbox 360 is, is a Dell trying to compete with companies such as Alienware. :)

claustrophobia9
07-12-2006, 01:22 PM
... but that isnt what this thread is about so end of that discussion
ahem....

hit me on aim if you want to loose this arguement in the proper environment, ill be on at 9pm est

Ace24
07-12-2006, 01:24 PM
This thread is about that. This thread is meant to flame the Sony developers and disguss what could be done better and I was giving valid comparisons.

(although I do enjoy ripping on the dingleberries over at Microsoft)

claustrophobia9
07-12-2006, 01:26 PM
This thread is about that. This thread is meant to flame the Sony developers and disguss what could be done better and I was giving valid comparisons.

(although I do enjoy ripping on the dingleberries over at Microsoft)
just because xbox is supporting hddvd and ps3 is supporting bluray doesnt make this a thread about it, its a thread about which HD format will survive. not which console was right or wrong.

Ace24
07-12-2006, 01:29 PM
Oy vey...:argue:

marvin-martian
07-12-2006, 01:33 PM
oh ya, because Universal Studios Home Entertainment, Warner Home Video, Paramount Home Entertainment, HP, Intel and Toshiba totally have video game consoles...

durrell
07-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Wait..Bungie is going to make Halo for the PS3?

claustrophobia9
07-12-2006, 01:36 PM
Wait..Bungie is going to make Halo for the PS3?
lol if he knew what he was talking about....

and can we NOT have another one of my threads dedicated to debating (and winning) with people's irrelivant arguments and trolling.

durrell
07-12-2006, 01:53 PM
Dude if Halo comes out for PS3..Xb360 is finished. Especially if Sony can come out with a Live competitor.

claustrophobia9
07-12-2006, 01:54 PM
Dude if Halo comes out for PS3..Xb360 is finished. Especially if Sony can come out with a Live competitor.
it isnt[/game discussion] [hd discussion]

here is a super fast tutorial for what you should do instead of crapping up my thread

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/claustrophobia9/Untitled-1copy-5.jpg click the highlighted button

marvin-martian
07-12-2006, 01:59 PM
...so blu ray discs were a really bad idea...

durrell
07-12-2006, 02:03 PM
...so blu ray discs were a really bad idea...

I concur.

thechubbss12
07-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Cluas.... we are not cluttering out thread... we are makeing it better :dodgy:

Humm blu ray FTL...

on another note... Nintendo Wii FTW.... ($200 does take very much from my gotta play alota paintball fun)

UKwithPride
07-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Oy vey...:argue:
Just.
Shut.
Up.

splaturout
07-12-2006, 06:31 PM
Sony went the way of beta again. If they could only get their act together. What will save them though is the fact that in Asia 1 on every 3 people have a game console and PS3 is something that they are going to gobble up. They will eventually come out with a external HD DVD drive just like X-box will come out with their External Drive for those who think using a console as a dvd player is a good idea. Just wait two years and they will have HD DVD/Bluray player together. If not Sony or a another big name then Higher end dvd players will (Denon, Krell and so on)

Either way...why spend money on a game console when getting fresh air playing paintball is some much more fun. I would rather shoot something that shoots back in realy life and get some exercise. :)

marvin-martian
07-12-2006, 06:36 PM
exercise is over-rated

splaturout
07-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Off Subject: Had my 4 month old baby check up and the DR said this. If we feed our kid bananas now it will lead to teen age obesity. So for all those chubby kids who are our there it is not the fact you sit around playing consoles, eat fast food all the time, do nothing at all - it is not your fault. It is your parents for feeding you food to early in life. So go on keep sitting around because now you all have the answer!!

On subject - I need to find out what the output will be for the two disks - my 65" Mits Diamond will not do 720p from x-box but my 42" Panasonic plasma does. If I buy any HD stuff I want it to work on my Mits. otherwise I have to buy a different tv. sucky

claustrophobia9
07-12-2006, 07:43 PM
they already announced a dual format player.

splaturout
07-13-2006, 04:36 AM
Who makes it though?

claustrophobia9
07-13-2006, 07:16 AM
Who makes it though?
"Ricoh will show the optical device later this week at the International Optoelectronics Exhibition '06 in Japan. We’ll have more on this new technology as it develops." from article

on a semi related note...

"MATTERIS Ltd., a start-up company created under Israel's leading technological incubator, has developed a proprietary holographic storage system that is far superior to previous holographic storage technologies thanks to the use of nano-materials.

By using nano-particles, MATTERIS has been able to place millions of bits grouped in holograms, which makes possible to utilize the volume instead of the surface of the medium. Each hologram is made of 1000 x 1000 bits and it's this innovative array that makes possible to store 1 Terabyte (1000 Gigabytes) on a standard 120mm disc.

Currently, the technology is intended for the enterprise archive and backup market but if it turns out to be a success it could well be adapted for the consumer market."

and bananas suck... they cause west nile you know...

thechubbss12
07-13-2006, 08:27 AM
Once again Blu Ray FTL.....

I used to be fat.... then i realised exercise isnt over rated... then i started getting the ladies and realised all that time i spent thinking exercise was overrated was... well.... wasted.
Marv you will feel better if you exercise i promise.... makes you healthyer and happier person...

West Nile isnt anything to fear.... just like death is nothing to fear....

Isreal is leading in technological Incubators?.... how...? were did they get the money to do that lol...

marvin-martian
07-13-2006, 09:58 AM
guys...im not fat at all. infact, im underweight by just a bit...

UKwithPride
07-13-2006, 10:38 AM
By a bit :dodgy:

claustrophobia9
07-13-2006, 02:22 PM
you would look better fat, atleast then you might block some sunlight and we couldnt see your face... :roflmao: im jk marv

splaturout
07-14-2006, 04:49 AM
Ok....when did the girls come in? Why are we talking about someones wieght?

Let me rephrase what I said.

When is Denon coming out with a dual player? Also being the lasers that read the different types can not both be in the same spot with out having to move the little eye back and forth (for those who are not into electronics anytime you have something move in anything it is easier for something to break and cost more to repair) are they going to have a dual tray or side y side player? does anyone know?

claustrophobia9
07-14-2006, 05:00 AM
o rly, not every1 is retarded....

ooglieboogliebob
07-14-2006, 05:22 AM
Shens !!! ;)

marvin-martian
07-14-2006, 07:51 AM
Ok....when did the girls come in? Why are we talking about someones wieght?
when you started talking about the correlation between exercise and weight.

claustrophobia9
07-14-2006, 07:52 AM
1. denon isnt coming out with the dual player ricoh is.
2. more moving parts means easier to break if its made poorly. i hope it isnt made poorly with non moving ones going for 500+ and this upwards of 800 as a guess. it probibly just has a reader that reads both by moving up and down slightly along with its side to side abilities.
3. marvs right, you do bring up irrelevant stuff and then push it back by blaming the topic change on others, thats why im still rebutting all of your condescending posts.

splaturout
07-14-2006, 09:29 AM
I brought up excercise..not my weight..I also said it was off topic...what guy (that plays paintball) actually thinks about their weight and talks about it with other men? Not to point out that this board is a sausage party (for the most part..if you are a lady reading this you are a rare breed in here.)

Back to topic.....So you are going to say that Denon is not going to ever come out with one? That is disappointing and also a bold statement. Second are you saying that a company that makes everything from printers to dvd players are going to come out with a high end dual format dvd player that is of quality? Yea I don't think so. Denon is by no means high end but at least they specialize in the products they produce. That is like buying anything made by Slyvania..lots of products and usaually first to hit the market but also the cheapest pieces out there. I am still going to wait. Besides my Media Drive can store HD and as we move forward I will judt down load the movie directly to it. Similar to the Music File Transfer Protocol Websites.

The movie theater that I live near is 100% digital...they do not have any reels in the place. They download the movies directly to the projectors hard drive (similar to my set up). Eventually what will happen is this fight over the starndard will be irrelavant because we will just download the movies directly to our hard drives. Why have a media that can scratch at all? We can by pass all of that and have full access to the net and download movies. Do I smell a good start up business? Who is with me?

marvin-martian
07-14-2006, 11:18 AM
guys who arent insecure with their sexuality. grow up.

and what you said involved teenage obesity, and that is obviously related to weight.

claustrophobia9
07-14-2006, 12:51 PM
Back to topic.....So you are going to say that Denon is not going to ever come out with one? That is disappointing and also a bold statement. Second are you saying that a company that makes everything from printers to dvd players are going to come out with a high end dual format dvd player that is of quality? Yea I don't think so. Denon is by no means high end but at least they specialize in the products they produce. That is like buying anything made by Slyvania..lots of products and usaually first to hit the market but also the cheapest pieces out there. I am still going to wait. Besides my Media Drive can store HD and as we move forward I will judt down load the movie directly to it. Similar to the Music File Transfer Protocol Websites. i dont know about denon's list of stuff they are making... i do know that ricoh IS making one and thats whats announced. and i wasnt talking about denon when i said high quality, because i dont give a **** about them.

sausage party? anyone who thinks of it like that should just go hang out at a hair salon. its a group of friends hanging around and talking about paintball and other things. i dont know about your group of firends but mine doesnt just hang around thinking about how many "sausages" are in the area :dodgy:

splaturout
07-14-2006, 04:20 PM
sausage party? anyone who thinks of it like that should just go hang out at a hair salon. its a group of friends hanging around and talking about paintball and other things. i dont know about your group of firends but mine doesnt just hang around thinking about how many "sausages" are in the area :dodgy:

We are always aware of the male to female ratio. That is why my friends are always getting the nookie. As for Me, I bit the bullet and got married to an amazing woman. If you are not thinking about how much sausage to taco there is chances are pretty good you are not going to be getting much action, but that is also the difference in age. I can go to bars, clubs, and so on. We don't just get together to talk, we get together to play paintball and go drinking with the peeps.

At least we are moving forward with the dual players. It usually only takes 1 or 2 players to start the ball rolling. This will be fun to watch the companies jockey for position.

Hob Hayward
07-14-2006, 04:32 PM
EH, I'm not liking either too much right now, it takes 2 whole friggin minutes to initialize an HD DVD, I don't like sony's attempts to own the market, so I hate blu-ray.

Hob Hayward
07-14-2006, 05:05 PM
EH, I'm not liking either too much right now, it takes 2 whole friggin minutes to initialize an HD DVD, I don't like sony's attempts to own the market, so I hate blu-ray.

splaturout
07-14-2006, 06:33 PM
Does anyone know if these HD dvd players are going to do 1080p? would the PS3 do 1080p?

Hob Hayward
07-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Yeah they will.

splaturout
07-14-2006, 06:45 PM
SWEETNESS....Now we just need George Lucas to release Star Wars in 1080p format!!!!

claustrophobia9
07-14-2006, 10:52 PM
omg like we need ANOTHER remake.

UKwithPride
07-14-2006, 10:57 PM
QFT! All the star wars geeks(no offense) would be running around going, "ZOMG! Anotherrrr remake! wooo must add to my collection in the basement of my mothers house!!!!!!!!!"

marvin-martian
07-14-2006, 10:59 PM
but instead of weapons, they use walkie talkies!! how cool does that sound?!

claustrophobia9
07-14-2006, 11:00 PM
but instead of weapons, they use walkie talkies!! how cool does that sound?!it sounds uber... but that could be a load of caffiene speaking.

splaturout
07-15-2006, 03:52 AM
I do NOT want another remake. I just want the originals. Then I would be able to recreate all the fight scenes with my light sabers! j/k

splaturout
07-15-2006, 01:45 PM
This is from an article about the two different players and formats that are out there. The entire article is at

http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/07/technology/gadgets.fortune/index.htm

Friday night: Agony. We have to decide between the two formats, because there are no Players with Two Heads on sale yet. Then, in an epiphany, we realize that only videophiles who already own a 1080p HDTV will really care at this point. It will be months before a wide selection of movies are available in either format.

There are initial technical glitches in both formats (Toshiba released a software patch too late to be tested for this experiment). If we had to choose tonight, we'd go with Blu-ray and hope we were not stuck with a dead-end format. But we don't have to choose tonight. Instead, we'll download some videos over the Internet from YouTube.com. Idea for my next great experiment: Creating high-definition video downloads over broadband that don't use either Blu-ray or HD-DVD. That's a scary idea for the movie and electronics companies, isn't it? That they have wasted all this money and effort on format standards that no one will care about? (Fade out to maniacal laughter.)

I do believe that I had mentioned earlier we should start a business for that last idea the journalist wrote about. Lets take over this stupid war!!

Plus who wants to watch Blazing Saddles in HD...couldn't we do something better like Fifth Element? She is so hot in those suspenders!