PDA

View Full Version : Spelling

70Vette69
07-11-2006, 11:30 AM
OK....please forgive me but after seeing all of the posts about spelling I just had to find this and share it with all of you. I saw this in an E-Mail from a friend over a year ago..... amazing the things I can remember over a year ago and yet other things i forget less than 5 minutes later. Oohh well....here ya go.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearchr at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Or rather...

According to a researcher (sic) at Cambridge University, it doesn't matter in what order the letters in a word are, the only important thing is that the first and last letter be at the right place. The rest can be a total mess and you can still read it without problem. This is because the human mind does not read every letter by itself but the word as a whole.

Cool...........c'mon...........it was cool.....wasn't it?

marvin-martian
07-11-2006, 11:31 AM
old as sin

Ace24
07-11-2006, 11:50 AM
I have read that somewhere before... It is cool though.

vikingshadow
07-11-2006, 12:04 PM
That was cool, although it's the only thing on this forum older than me and a couple others.....

*Speaks in teacher's voice* BUT....spelling and grammar are two of the best ways to get good responses that are in stated positively. If you come across as someone who doesn't care about the little things, why should anyone care about your little things? Plus, you don't come across as an idiot when MOST of the words are spelled correctly.

It really doesn't take much to add a period or put an i before e except after c and when it sounds like a as in neighbor or weigh....;)

*back to vike mode* School's only 5 weeks away here, so I have to start getting back in that frame of mind, dang it!

marvin-martian
07-11-2006, 12:07 PM
vike, what do you do in the summer? do you stay at home, or do you have another job?

DexGtr
07-11-2006, 12:17 PM
vike, what do you do in the summer? do you stay at home, or do you have another job?

he slacks off......:D

vikingshadow
07-11-2006, 12:20 PM
Yup that's me! The slacker....

Actually, that's a good question, and one a lot of people like to just make assumptions about. The honest answer is:

I mainly stay home and take care of my two kids. Actually, the older one doesn't need watching anymore, and she tends to watch the younger one. But I try to spend time with them during this time as they grow up - we go fishing, swimming, riding bikes, out of town, play ball out in the yard, watch tv, so on...basically, doing what my mom did when I was growing up. Having a parent at home (whether mom or dad) if it can be done financially, is a very positive thing for kids, I feel. I see the difference between those kids with parents who are never home and those that have at least one and there's a BIG gap between them. I think my kids are sensitive, well adjusted children who have a strong sense of morals and family. That's very important to our family.

(Plus, during the school year, I basically get to school around 7:00 in the morning and come home around 6-7 at night 9 months out of the year - the youngest goes to bed at 8:30 and my oldest at 9:30, so they don't get to see me much for 9 months of the year. I try to make up for it during this time.)

My dad keeps harping on me to get another job, but I can't mow grass around town because there's something around here that blows my eyes up when I mow (I do mow my yard, but it has to be kind of wet, and the mower bag has to be wet down as well to stop the dust.) I REFUSE to do construction and roofing (I did that in college and it's not worth it for only two and a half months.) I don't want to work at Wal-Mart or any of the other retail stores for the money they get paid, and I'm not the oil-rig type. I get paid 12 months a year, so I get the same every month, even the summer months, and for what I would get paid and then subsequently pay taxes on wouldn't really be worth the hassle of finding some other job to take some time up.

But don't get me wrong! At home I work a lot! I do a lot of furniture repair for people I know and my own house. I build things that people ask for and need and I help my dad quite a bit - he's retired and does odd jobs. I also take care of our own house (including making meals and such during this time.) I stay plenty busy - actually more than during the school year, but with different things.

colonel_moo
07-11-2006, 12:50 PM
yeah, i read that at the beginning of freshman year, so... almost 3 years ago :)

splaturout
07-11-2006, 01:16 PM
I am guessing that you are a teacher and that is really a commendable job. Both my parents were teachers growing up. We used to take the entire summers and go around the US to visit the parks. I have been to all 50 states and camped in most of them. We drove through some like Kansas and places where we could see the other side of the state from the other. I hope you do enjoy your summers and get to relax. That is a job that I could never do even though everyone in my family is a teacher with a doctrine in something. Not for me.

meruhl
07-11-2006, 01:24 PM
That was cool, although it's the only thing on this forum older than me and a couple others.....!Hey! I resemble that remark! :dodgy: I been getting a lot of mileage out of ol' Dodgy today...

bigred76
07-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Wow. Only Vike could turn that answer into a 4 paragraph schpiel. :D

I know a couple teachers and they all work on getting their houses in order during the summer. You know, cleaning them up, fixing them, all that stuff that they dont have time to do during the school year.

As far as spelling goes, this would apply here but people don't even type with the right letters so my mind can't fix the words so it's legible.

vikingshadow
07-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Haha! Yup - I talk too much.

Splaturout - yup, I'm the teach around here. Unfortunately, it spreads out into other aspects of my life (like here! Oh, and my wife hates it when I correct her. Go figure...) There was another guy who taught here, but I can't remember who it was because he never posted much.

Most teachers I know take the summers off or work for the school - painting, maintenance, tech stuff, etc. I use it to completely unwind!

ooglieboogliebob
07-11-2006, 02:44 PM
haha ... your one of the kids ;) you unwind just like we do ...

Yeah ... that spelling thing is pretty old ... seen it on shirts in the past years ...

phatphil
07-11-2006, 07:33 PM
I remember reading that... five years ago. :dodgy: