PDA

View Full Version : How to make the bolt un-swell?!

new_Faction64
07-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Well, I figured out today that the delrin bolt WILL SWELL UP FROM WATER. I was trying to clean the inside out (where the ACS is) because there was alot of black debris inside of it. Unfortunately the entire bolt has now swelled, and it took me some time to get it back out of my MR2, fortunately no other damage is done.

Now, how can I get the bolt to un-swell? Will it just take time? Will it ever un-swell? Thx.

vikingshadow
07-06-2006, 09:30 AM
My experience with Delrin and Nylatrin bolts says that it'll never be the same size again.

However, there are a couple things you can do. First, put it in the freezer for awhile. The cold shrinks the material somewhat. Another thing you can do, especially if there aren't any orings is to sand it down a bit, but make sure too sand it evenly on all sides!

new_Faction64
07-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Aww great :(

Might as well get a damn new bolt from Kingman if I can, lousy Delrin. How the heck are you supposed to clean it if you can't use water?

Hossy
07-06-2006, 01:53 PM
u shouldnt need to clean it, why would you?

what were u trying to get off?

new_Faction64
07-06-2006, 07:24 PM
u shouldnt need to clean it, why would you?

what were u trying to get off?

Paint from chopping, and debris that got in from the rear of the gun.

scat
07-06-2006, 07:54 PM
put it in the freezer for about 12 hours or longer so it will freeze up real good then take it out and immediately take a hair dryer on high and thaw and dry it out that whas when it thaws it dont swell any more try putting it back in the gun and if still too big repeat process I had to do that to my delrin shocktech superfly bolt because of plaing in the rain and I dropped my gun in a creek and it swelled up like nothing I have ever seen so I asked a buddie and that is what he told me to do and it worked for me and it didnt effect it in any way

new_Faction64
07-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Thx Scat, will try

Hossy
07-06-2006, 09:48 PM
put it in the freezer for about 12 hours or longer so it will freeze up real good then take it out and immediately take a hair dryer on high and thaw and dry it out that whas when it thaws it dont swell any more try putting it back in the gun and if still too big repeat process I had to do that to my delrin shocktech superfly bolt because of plaing in the rain and I dropped my gun in a creek and it swelled up like nothing I have ever seen so I asked a buddie and that is what he told me to do and it worked for me and it didnt effect it in any way

dude scat, i know your trying to be a supporting member and help people out on the threads, but dude use grammar, your killing my eyes.

from my first expirience, delrin or delren or whatever, swells at high heat, and water, and it will shrink a little when its in cold..

honestly and i dont mean to be mean, scat come on, if u drop ur gun in the water, if its alot of water its gonna be bigger than "dropping it in"

New Faction, i honesty wouldnt listen to scat, you can try the putting it in the freezer, i wouldnt use a hairdryer, because of swelling in heat.

im not calling that scat has no clue what hes talking about, but maybe try the freezer, u can find these bolts online for cheap, i think i got mine for 15 or 20, your gun has had problems, ive seen your posts, maybe its worth it to go buy a new one, because of these problems...

scat, if you do read my posts, use some grammar...i dont care about spelling as long as its not L!k3 th!$ but dude, make it so its easy to read your posts

new_Faction64
07-06-2006, 09:51 PM
dude scat, i know your trying to be a supporting member and help people out on the threads, but dude use grammar, your killing my eyes.

from my first expirience, delrin or delren or whatever, swells at high heat, and water, and it will shrink a little when its in cold..

honestly and i dont mean to be mean, scat come on, if u drop ur gun in the water, if its alot of water its gonna be bigger than "dropping it in"

New Faction, i honesty wouldnt listen to scat, you can try the putting it in the freezer, i wouldnt use a hairdryer, because of swelling in heat.

im not calling that scat has no clue what hes talking about, but maybe try the freezer, u can find these bolts online for cheap, i think i got mine for 15 or 20, your gun has had problems, ive seen your posts, maybe its worth it to go buy a new one, because of these problems...

scat, if you do read my posts, use some grammar...i dont care about spelling as long as its not L!k3 th!$ but dude, make it so its easy to read your posts

Man dude I really wish I could go buy a new bolt, but no one makes MR2 bolts yet. I emailed Kingman today to see if I can get a new one through them.

Hossy
07-06-2006, 09:57 PM
new fraction, ive read all of scats other posts, i think hes lieing about stuff, needing attention.

scat i dont want to be mean, but we dont care what u do while u play, we dont care where u live, but once u start to lie or start saying stuff that is skeptical, you loose all the point of comming to the threads, because noone will believe you.

i bought an anti chop bolt for 20ish....mr2 bolts, idk but kingman was the right way to go

try the freezing thing, ifthat doesnt work, dont try the heat either, because that will only make it swell more..

new fraction if u have aim id love to talk toyou about this more. Im me at JumboShrimp32

i am thinking of getting a mr2, so you would be very helpful

Spoolinup
07-06-2006, 11:16 PM
I would just be worried about putting the bolt in the freezer if it's saturated with water.....water expands when it freezes, and that just seems like it would warp the bolt or possibly crack/split??

I don't have experience with this particular situation, and not saying anyone's wrong, just wanted to note what I would suspect to happen.

vikingshadow
07-07-2006, 05:58 AM
LOL, well you definitely want it to be dry before you put it in there. Otherwise when you pull it out and it thaws, you have the same problem again. What it does when you put it in the freezer (dried, of course!) it pulls the molecules and material closer in on itself causing it to shrink.

Hossy - Scat was right about the freezer thing (see my first post in this thread.) As far as what else you said, I don't know anything about, but since I already razzed him about his lack of punctuation in another thread - let's lay off him a bit until he proves to be a spammer or if he's really trying to help. K?

Guitar_kid99
07-07-2006, 07:06 AM
i coulda sworn that u had an mr2 hossy.

if i were you newfaction i would buy a new bolt

new_Faction64
07-07-2006, 10:11 PM
Bolt is back to normal, or at least fits well, THANKS FOR THE FREEZER TRICK!!!

I slipped it into my gun today, AFTER drying it of condensation (cold bolt, in warm area) first.

Even dry fired, and then normal fired my gun. WORKS :D THANKS SO MUCH

vikingshadow
07-08-2006, 08:07 AM
:up: :up: No problem! Glad to help.

Just a warning, you need to watch it now because it's also been my experience that they will continue to swell, even with paint breaks. Good luck with it and have fun!