PDA

View Full Version : Electra or ION (Kinda new into the game)

spydermr1
07-05-2006, 05:24 PM
Ok so Im farily new to paintballing, been in the game for about 2 months. I have a MR1 with some upgrades, I love the gun..and still do. However, Recently Ive been thinking of buying another gun but Im not sure what to get. Right now Im looking at a ION or the new Electra, been reading up on them. Was just looking for some friendly feedback on the two guns, would be much appreciated! Or perhaps there may be another gun I might wanna look into? Not sure, thanks in advance guys.

Hossy
07-05-2006, 05:26 PM
hey man do u have AIM? IM me on JumboShrimp32, i have alot to say on both

claustrophobia9
07-05-2006, 06:02 PM
ion, but dont forget to RTFM and memorize it and treat it religiously

Ace24
07-05-2006, 06:44 PM
Well it depends... ION's are great guns, and really cheap... as where the Electra is also (from what I have heard) a pretty good gun.

Everyones monkies uncle has an ION though. Alot of those owners are also very cocky and brag way to much about their gun. (I havent found that the people on this forum brag alot about theirs, they are good ION owners)

Honestly, I would say go for the ION because of how cheap it is. The only thing you have to remember is KEEP IT MAINTAINED. Also, you might want to pick up a new feed neck right when you get the gun. The stock one doesnt work with anything unless you have duct-tape. (I thought I heard some people complaining about the guage? Or some other stock parts on it too, see what you can find out)

Ace24
07-05-2006, 07:33 PM
http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=4569

That guy is selling one with some upgrades and a hopper (I would recomend an Egg or a Halo B for it though) for $266. Check it out if you want that ION.

pman15
07-05-2006, 07:42 PM
that would work but dont just go buying a high end gun for your first gun.start with a low end one then work your way up to a high end one

Ace24
07-05-2006, 07:46 PM
ION's aren't really "High end". They are really good guns for the price, but there are higher end guns... Like Shockers.

Pluss, there isnt anything wrong with getting a high end gun for your first gun. You wont know what its like to have a crappy one that slowes you down, thats for sure lol. I got stuck with a crappy maintained Victor 1 way back when I started playing. It was also humid and wet out and the gun sucked something horrible.

pman15
07-05-2006, 07:50 PM
ya i understand but hes a newbie to paintball{no offesnse}and ya dont know much about those mid end guns and the stuff u need for them.it takes time to learn that stuff.go to your local shop and test both guns out

Ace24
07-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Good point... unless he knew how to maintain that ION... it would die pretty fast...

He should probably start out with a Spyder if hes going twards the speedball or woods ball area, Tippman if hes going for woodsball. Um... I wouldn't recomend the Electra with Eyes to a newbie either... That might be a little overwhelming at first and trying to clean it. Rodeo's, Imagine's, Pilot's, those are all good starting guns. Hell even a Fenix is a good starting gun. (Although you would need some upps pretty fast) Mine came with some good ups right out of the box and I never had to upgrade untill now. YAY FOR THE OLD DRAGUN T-1's!

Here's a Rodeo right in the forums with what looks like an upgraded barrel.

http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=4545

spydermr1
07-05-2006, 08:16 PM
I have a Spyder MR1, and a Imagine that I swapped frames over to my MR1. I play a mixture of speedball and woodsball, more speedball then woodball lately tho.

To Hossy - I have AIM, Ill IM ya sometime this week when I have some spare time.

thechubbss12
07-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Ions are nothing to mantain... i had never seen one apart until 2 days ago and thats when i replaced the Orings on Big Daddys... had the gun completly dismanteld (cleaned, lubed, Replaced orings) and reassembled in 15 min.... granted i have taken some local gun tech classes over shockers, DM's and Freestyles but the Ion was still alittle diffrent.

Im a spyder guy... i got the Ion and tryed my hardest to get rid of it the second i got it in the trade.... But hey alot of people like them... the fact that i dont doesnt justify anything other then that i dont like emm.

IMO get the electra... but hey its just me

TStites
07-05-2006, 08:38 PM
I have Tried the ION realy nice Gun, just bought a electa 06 I get it in three days I will let you know how I like it

Frat
07-05-2006, 09:56 PM
Almost 6 of one half dozen of the other. On one hand the Ions are small and light weight. On the other hand they DO NOT field strip. I took a feak shot down my barrel. The ball broke as it entered the muzzle and paint and shell locked the bolt up. With a Spyder it would have been an easy fix. With the ion I was done for the day. I like my Ion but had I been using my MR1 I would have gotten to play more than I did. That is my only complaint which is why my Ion is my primary, my MR1 is my back up and my pilot is sold.

Jimmyd24
07-05-2006, 10:48 PM
Ions, although they are high performance markers, people tend to have a lot of mechanical problems with them, cough, they break a lot. Personally I would tell you to get the electra or you can get a cheaper spyder gun like the rodeo and just upgrade it a lot, thats what i did with my rodeo and i am completelyi happy with it, and it hasnt caused me any problems yet

druid
07-05-2006, 11:32 PM
my fixes are in bold pink

Ions, although they are highER performance markers than spyders, people tend to have a lot of mechanical problems with them, cough, they break a lot COUGH, THEY DON'T TAKE CARE OF THEM PROPERLY COUGH. Personally I would tell you to get the electra or you can get a cheaper spyder gun like the rodeo and just upgrade it a lot, thats what i did with my rodeo and i am completelyi happy with it, and it hasnt caused me any problems yet which is what I've done and STILL got an Ion...and LOVE it...

The question is really answerable with this.......

do you want to spend the money to upgrade the spyder or just spend it on another marker? Either way, you're going to be upgrading it so would you rather up the electra or buy a stock ion to up it too?

spydermr1.......Why don't you just concentrate on your game with your current MR and decide later on what you want to do? I mean really....learn the sport first because it's not the gun that makes the player...it's the other way around. When you out-grow the MR...THEN consider a new marker.....

TheRedBarron
07-05-2006, 11:50 PM
you and your pink...

bamf-hacker
07-06-2006, 04:13 AM
Ions, although they are high performance markers, people tend to have a lot of mechanical problems with them, cough, they break a lot. Personally I would tell you to get the electra or you can get a cheaper spyder gun like the rodeo and just upgrade it a lot, thats what i did with my rodeo and i am completelyi happy with it, and it hasnt caused me any problems yet

This is not exactly true... The Ions that have issues are poor maintained ones. That would happen to any marker that is not taken care of. The only reason you hear about it more is there are a ton of Ions out there.

If you stop taking care of your Rodeo it will also have issues.

Now for your question... Electra or Ion?

Electra is $269 and the Ion is $199

You will most likely upgrade either of them, so I would say go for the less expensive one.

Read the manual on either one, take the gun apart at home before you play so you know how it works, take care of your equipment and you will have a marker you will enjoy for a long time.

Welcome to the boards and Welcome to the most addictive sport of Paintball!

HacKeR

HacKeR

claustrophobia9
07-06-2006, 05:49 AM
you and your pink...
as the saying goes... two for the pink... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ace24
07-06-2006, 11:08 AM
I took a feak shot down my barrel. The ball broke as it entered the muzzle and paint and shell locked the bolt up. With a Spyder it would have been an easy fix.

That has happened to me ONCE. Luckly I had a field squeegie and was fast to take off the barrel and fire the bolt without the barrel on there, cleaning out the bolt area. I was back in the game in 2 mins. (I tell ya, hiding behind that wooden bunker in woods ball is scary when you've got a prob like that.)

I dont think the freak shot will ever happen to me again, but its fun to talk to other PBer's about it at NVP, its a fun story to share.

claustrophobia9
07-06-2006, 12:55 PM
down the barrel... rofl... im still laughing now. thats BS

ShadowX
07-06-2006, 01:20 PM
My good friend got shot down the barrel of his PM5 a couple weekends ago..

He thought he chopped.. After that game he was cleaning the breech of his gun and it was a different color paint than the color he was using.. also there were pieces of shell that were different color than the paint he was using.. no joke.. It happened..

Claus, just because something didn't happen to you or one of your friends, or if it seems VERY unlikely.... Doesn't mean it can't happen..

claustrophobia9
07-06-2006, 02:07 PM
were they like a foot away... cuz paintballs lob...

killerpinecone
07-06-2006, 04:32 PM
lol, that happened to me and my brother, we were going one on one at the field after everyone left and i got him right in the barrel, it was a spyder but it was the acs bolt and there is still paint in under the spring, we should use water to clean it out, i was like 10-15 feet away, and yes stuff like that does happen, he sprayed my color paint

Frat
07-06-2006, 09:28 PM
claustrophobia9 down the barrel... rofl... im still laughing now. thats BS

Actually it was on a regulation sized X-ball field. I was at home and the shot came from the left control on the opposing teams end. I have witnesses to the fact that it happened and now you have witnesses to the fact that your an............ Simply because you do not think it can happen is not a reason to call some one a liar.

thechubbss12
07-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Thats right flame Claus LOL....

Sorry clause you set your self up for it...

Becasue if you havent had it happen to you then that means you havent played enough paintball.... Ive even had a reball make it into my barrel... it didnt go all the way up but it make my marker jump when it hit my barrel.

claustrophobia9
07-07-2006, 06:47 AM
pics or shens

and i want ball in the barrel pics and one of your hopper to show that they are diff colors.

balls fly with a lob so unless you were say getting bunkered or aiming perfectly at the exact same lob i see the ball breaking prematurely either at the tip and throwing shell down the barrel, on the outside and breaking shell through a hole, or just you forgetting about a random colored ball that made it in the batch you were shooting. just because i think more logically then OMG 1/1000000000 happened to me, my friend, my other friend and this guy at the subway by chance!

is it so unreasonable for me to say "i won the lottery" and you all to be like "bs" and me to say "just because you dont know anyone thats won the lottery or you havent played enough yourself doesnt mean it isnt true" then provide no proof. you are mad because im ruining you little stories that you tell to all your friends that makes you specail and stand out in their mind. life is rough, get over it.

marvin-martian
07-07-2006, 08:30 AM
claus, it happens. get over it.

Ace24
07-07-2006, 09:13 AM
down the barrel... rofl... im still laughing now. thats BS

No it really isn't. I snuck up behind around 7 guys in woods ball, hid behind a wooden bunker and poked my head around and started firing. Right as I went to shoot the 6th or 7th guy, before I even touched the trigger, I saw a pink spray of paint go up into my hopper and out the ports of my barrel. I fired and nothing happened, so I took off the barrel (by this time they had been shooting at me behind the bunker for around 25 seconds or so) and took out my feild squeegie and cleaned out the barrel. I then pulled back the bolt and fired it a few times, cleaning out the bolt area (time elapsed 45 seconds or so). By the time I got the barrel back on, someone came around the side of the bunker and fired into the back of my head. (Man those top of the headshots sting, especially from 4 or 5 feet away... :( )

Unless your on the field with someone when it happens, your not going to see it. No one is going to leave a broken ball in their barrel like that for the rest of the day just so they can take a pic when they get home.

I will tell you though, it was a pain when I got home. I had to completely rip apart the gun and clean EVERYTHING. The paint went in with such force (and at the time, my bolt o-ring was loose) it went in behind the bolt and down into the hammer area and into the valve. :(

Frat
07-07-2006, 10:19 AM
balls fly with a lob so unless you were say getting bunkered or aiming perfectly at the exact same lob

you are mad because im ruining you little stories that you tell to all your friends that makes you specail and stand out in their mind. life is rough, get over it.

I generally do not get into flame wars but some people are too ignorant to ignore. STOP saying lob. you lob a grenade and generally you shoot paintballs. You can lob a paintball but only by throwng it . The correct term is arc. The arc happens when a paintball, bullet. rock or what ever no longer has enough airspeed to maintian level flight. Note the level flight part. Meaning it will shoot straight until it starts to drop air speed. The radius of the arc will be directly perportional to the drop in airspeed.
Everyforum has their pet troll and I guess you are it here. the ball down the barrel is a statement of fact it happened. That you do not believe it is irrelevant because you are irrelevant. I am 34 years old and do not feel the need to impress anyone. That is for insecure people like yourself. So when I want your opinion I will ask for it (which I wont) and you can go back todrowning in your own BS.

marvin-martian
07-07-2006, 10:39 AM
lob is the correct term.

lob

n 1: an easy return of a tennis ball in a high arc 2: the act of propelling something (as a ball or shell etc.) in a high arc v : propel in a high arc; "lob the tennis ball"

TStites
07-07-2006, 10:50 AM
This is funny this stared up ION v Electra and ended up can you get shoot down the barrel.

Frat
07-07-2006, 11:49 AM
lob is the correct term......propel in a high arc; "lob the tennis ball" *

Note the phrase "high arc". unless you are aiming way high say 45 degrees or more your not going to get a high arc. My statement is correct and his use of the term is wrong.

This is funny this stared up ION v Electra and ended up can you get shoot down the barrel.

yeah I would say it has been hijacked.

marvin-martian
07-07-2006, 11:57 AM
but youre still propelling your shots upward so they fall back down where you want them to.

Ace24
07-07-2006, 12:20 PM
But your not throwing or wacking it to get it that way... Your shooting it and the air friction against the ball slowes it down, causing it to drop.

You know what they need to make? A flatline barrel that doesnt curve up, but does a spiral before going out of the barrel. that way it would make the ball spin vertically like a bullet. Wouldnt that give it more distance from what ever angle you hold the gun?

mr1man
07-07-2006, 01:29 PM
go with in ion, it is better quality than the electra

UKwithPride
07-07-2006, 01:53 PM
But your not throwing or wacking it to get it that way... Your shooting it and the air friction against the ball slowes it down, causing it to drop.

You know what they need to make? A flatline barrel that doesnt curve up, but does a spiral before going out of the barrel. that way it would make the ball spin vertically like a bullet. Wouldnt that give it more distance from what ever angle you hold the gun?
if you want something like that without buying a flatline, buy an Alien, they give the ball just enough spin to keep it straight but no curve up.

Ace24
07-07-2006, 04:08 PM
They've actually made something like that?

UKwithPride
07-08-2006, 02:31 AM
They've actually made something like that?
... www.alienpb.com Start reading about the sweep valve and sweep bolt.

claustrophobia9
07-08-2006, 07:03 AM
for me to consider a down the barrel break it must reach atleast the halfway point in the barrel without breaking... that doesnt seem possible, therefore i can say "i dont think that is possible" if you think somewhere else counts as down the barrel then good for you... but i dont care. if it breaks within an inch of the front or on the front it isnt a down the barrel break.

this is just like the tredmill and airplane, its all based on personal definition of a phrase. you say pot-A-toe i say po-TA-toe

joe06
07-08-2006, 09:43 AM
you need a compressed air tank for the ion wich will drive the price up at least 60 bucks. you can anti syphon your c02 but that might be hard for a noob.

silentpaintballfreak
07-09-2006, 01:38 PM
my friend bought and elctrac and withing played black hack down with it. he didnt like it at all, he said it felt to much like a spyder (well its a spyder... duh), next week he was shooting an ion. If you choose an ion you have horrible resale. compressed air is a must on anything so itll come sooner or later (trust me). A spyder will never perform as good as an ion, unless its operation is changed dramtically, go ion.

TStites
07-14-2006, 02:10 PM
I just got my Electra yesterday. I had just enough air to test it out. It is a very nice Marker.

The Good
Eyes seem to work great. I shoot way past what my hoper would keep up with and did not chop a ball
The Marker will shoot as fast as you can work the trigger.
The Regulator was set to around 900 psi so it will shoot correctly at LP
The Marker seems to shoot just as good on C02 as it did with my compressed air.
I like the looks of the marker but that is me.
The marker seem to be Accurate and consistent (I was only shooting about 30 yards)

The Bad
There is a good size gape between the grip and grip frame. So it will be easy for dirt and other things to get in to the electronics.
The Marker seems to be louder then most guns.

Over all I like it I am going out tonight to play so I will be able to give a better over view of the Electra 06 tomorrow.

paintballluver93
07-27-2006, 06:54 PM
dude, if your smart, you would go with the ion. theres absolutely nothing wrong with starting out with "high end" guns. Ace24 is right about getting a new feed neck for it though. they really do SUCK

thechubbss12
07-28-2006, 06:22 AM
2 week old thread man...

Its cool just try not to revive dead threads....