PDA

View Full Version : I'm torn..(car thread)

durrell
07-04-2006, 10:21 AM
Ok so I'm graduating high school next spring and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a new ride..I have alot of friends and some of them drive cars but some drive trucks. I have 2 options pretty much..

Option A:

2004 or newer Ford F-150 4x4

Probably something really close to this (I'd want the FX4 package)

http://images.autotrader.com/images/2006/7/4/202/552/670830623.202552775.IM1.02.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Option B:

2005 or newer Ford Mustang GT

http://images.autotrader.com/images/2006/6/10/203/291/580838714.203291649.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

In reality, the Mustang would probably be the best buy..I'll be turning 18..insurance will be going down, it gets about 10-12 more miles to the gallon than the truck, and it's alot easier to drive around town..but I don't know..

Opinions? Please.

Hossy
07-04-2006, 10:30 AM
im a truck guy, i reallly like trucks, but i think now i have changed my mind to a FJ cruiser, or a hybrid highlander, both made by toyota...i would take the truck but gas = :smashpc: :smashpc: :smashpc: :smashpc: :smashpc: :smashpc: :smashpc: :smashpc:

the 4x4 and the fx4, both from ford, are 2 different coices, just to let you know if u didnt know.

my baseball coach has a yellow truck..ill post pics later he did a really nice job on it, so i wanna get one like his in red or black..again illl post pics and specs up later if u guys are interested

Paintyaup
07-04-2006, 10:43 AM
are u joking?! MUSTANG BABY!

timmyshoota
07-04-2006, 11:01 AM
Hossy, its FJ Cruiser, and they are pretty dope, I drive em everyday. Hossy, the Highlander Hybrid is not made for gas mileage really, its made for better power with slightly better gas mileage. They are pretty cool also. You can't go wrong with a Toyota...if only D knew that. :dodgy:

D, who told you insurance goes down at 18? It won't go "down" until 25. Before then it will BARELY go down each cycle.

Hossy
07-04-2006, 11:03 AM
ahh ur right, sorry i was looking at masks when i posted that, so JT and FJ eh kinda got mixed up.

lol sorry

durrell
07-04-2006, 11:58 AM
D, who told you insurance goes down at 18? It won't go "down" until 25. Before then it will BARELY go down each cycle.

My insurance went down by half from 16-17. I'm not sure why, but it did.

And I mean I don't know, it's a toss up..save gas with the Mustang, but I'd have a higher payment and probably higher insurance..

claustrophobia9
07-04-2006, 12:09 PM
mustang of those 2... but im really not a fan of american cars right now... nissan ftw

marvin-martian
07-04-2006, 12:12 PM
if youre only deciding between those two, definitely go with the mustang. personally, im not a ford fan and would look for some european made car, but i dont know what i would get with 20 grand.

Hossy
07-04-2006, 12:44 PM
My insurance went down by half from 16-17. I'm not sure why, but it did.

And I mean I don't know, it's a toss up..save gas with the Mustang, but I'd have a higher payment and probably higher insurance..

hybrid...

eh, if u wanna show it off, get a mustang, but if u want a thing ur safe in,and if u do some work to, it will look really nice, truck ftw

bigred76
07-04-2006, 12:51 PM
How about the C.) Option.... Keep your 'Stang and don't get a new car!

durrell
07-04-2006, 12:53 PM
I like Fords, family has driven them for the past 10 or so years and we've never had a single one break down. The worst problem we've had was an oxygen sensor went bad in my mom's Expedition.

I just can't decide. My dad wants me to get the Mustang, mom doesn't care, all my friends that are girls say truck, and all my friends that are guys say Mustang..so it's like WTFM8?

Hossy
07-04-2006, 12:56 PM
all my friends that are girls say truck

then it should be a no brainer

timmyshoota
07-04-2006, 01:09 PM
If its imperative that you must support Mexico, then get the F-150. I still say you look elsewhere. I'd go with marv's suggestion and go Euro. Get maybe a early 2000s C/CLK. Or maybe you should get a 99/00 Corvette and get a real car. ;)

Hossy
07-04-2006, 01:18 PM
how about TRUCK OR TOYOTA FTWWWWWWWWWW

id accually say that toyota is still the way to go, but trucks are nice, and if u ever need to move something the truck is there, compared to the mustang u really cant

Hossy
07-04-2006, 01:19 PM
are u paying for the vehicle or not?

that would help

This forum requires that you wait 45 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds. :smashpc: :smashpc: :smashpc:

timmyshoota
07-04-2006, 01:28 PM
Hossy, he could get a Toyota and a truck ;)

claustrophobia9
07-04-2006, 01:53 PM
the ford website says that they consider aston martin a company that is inside their "family" (w/etf that means) so i say get one of those

but seriously, if you have a stang already dont get a new one... get something for the old one. and i still wont stand by a ford and ever think to be proud of it... cuz im not. especailly not with the huge layoffs in the area and massive losses for stock owners including my grandpa.

timmyshoota
07-04-2006, 02:11 PM
the ford website says that they consider aston martin a company that is inside their "family" (w/etf that means) so i say get one of those

but seriously, if you have a stang already dont get a new one... get something for the old one. and i still wont stand by a ford and ever think to be proud of it... cuz im not. especailly not with the huge layoffs in the area and massive losses for stock owners including my grandpa.
Ford is closing their plant here, which is the produces most of the F-150s, the best selling truck in America. You'd think of all plants ours would be the last, but nope. You can look forward to Mexico making the F-150s in the future.

marvin-martian
07-04-2006, 02:27 PM
i thought the plant closed a couple months ago...

Bigwrecker
07-04-2006, 02:37 PM
well im a fan of both, but i'de say to go with the truck. you can have a lot more fun with a truck and it can be driven all year round. if u keep your old stang then you've got something that you can have fun with on the street, but with the truck its on and off the street fun. Mustangs are pretty hot, and can be drastically upgraded. i guess it is a matter of wat you will be using it for, and how comfortable you'll be in it.

claustrophobia9
07-04-2006, 02:38 PM
i thought the plant closed a couple months ago...
might be the ohio one you are thinking about, they just about shut that down and laid off a ton... not really an american car if its made in mexico.

timmyshoota
07-04-2006, 03:44 PM
well im a fan of both, but i'de say to go with the truck. you can have a lot more fun with a truck and it can be driven all year round. if u keep your old stang then you've got something that you can have fun with on the street, but with the truck its on and off the street fun. Mustangs are pretty hot, and can be drastically upgraded. i guess it is a matter of wat you will be using it for, and how comfortable you'll be in it.
He lives in North Carolina, there's no need to worry about needing a car all year round, there's no such thing as snow.

druid
07-04-2006, 04:39 PM
FORD ...found on road dead...flip over read directions....f'd on race day...

bamf-hacker
07-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Truck...

your insurance will be going up with the stang after you get those speeding tickets :)

and...............get a Chevy!!

HacKeR

Bigwrecker
07-04-2006, 07:08 PM
He lives in North Carolina, there's no need to worry about needing a car all year round, there's no such thing as snow.

my bad didnt see that, then im all for the stang

viperx6x9x
07-04-2006, 10:11 PM
yeah im a mustang lover myself but i got too much crap too move around and move too often so i couldnt get one unless i could afford to keep my truck too. Besides somebody mentioned you already had a stang, if its got a 5.0/302 in it keep it. that engine dont break.

UKwithPride
07-04-2006, 10:20 PM
Get a small truck and lower it. :dodgy:
That's what I have. rofl.

thechubbss12
07-05-2006, 04:50 AM
Ehh truck for the ladies... or hybird...

Becasue if you think your insurance will go down if you get a 06 or 07 mustang? then you are seriously mistaken... I promise you it will go up if you have a car wth a value of 30 grand instead of 10 grand...

Gas money is high and getting a car that eats gas up will be hard to get rid of in 5 years....

Hossy
07-05-2006, 05:52 AM
OMGORZ!@)#(_!(@)_%(

get a sports car and a truck like this http://www.chevrolet.com/ssr/photogallery/

eh, i dont really like it either

newkid
07-05-2006, 06:03 AM
it depends if ur really going to use the truck like a truck and not lik a car, so if ur really going to haul stuff around get a truck,but a Chevy not a ford:thumbdown:

vikingshadow
07-05-2006, 06:04 AM
I guess I'm thinking practically, here.

Get a pickup (because a truck is something that has more than 6 wheels, LOL! :rolleyes: At least that's what I was told in high school...)

Anywho, I've never had one and seriously, at least once every week for most of the year, I actually have a need for a vehicle that can carry something larger than what I can fit in the back of the SUV - sheets of plywood, drywall, lawnmowers, boxes, etc. Since my kids were born, my choices were dictated by money and the ability to haul the whole family around, hence the SUV and other vehicles like that. BUT, my next vehicle (hopefully, by next year) will be a pickup just so I can actually carry something large!

Oh, and the girl thing works, as well.

But, I've really wanted a Jeep for a long time so I don't really know WHAT I'd get....

DFSniper
07-05-2006, 06:48 AM
'stang

3 reasons:

1) youre still young, get the truck when you'll actually need to haul stuff later on in life

2) you'll pick up more chicks (or help your friends pick up chicks)

3) you can tell people that you "upgraded" your old mustang!

oh, and for the MPG and all the other stuff people mentioned.

i'm in sorta the same situation. my dad was gonna give me his '98 F-150 so he could get an F-250 when we move back, but i decided that i want something a little smaller and faster. i'll probably end up with a camaro, or mustang, i like the way i'm seated compared to other cars (not too far from the wheel and you can see the road and not too much of the hood)

viperx6x9x
07-05-2006, 08:49 AM
this is just my opinion but dont waste your time on chevy. My truck has been makin wierd noises for a while now and im having a tough time dealing with their service department getting them to honor their warranty and fix my $(!t. It sucks though i actually like the truck. oh well prolly ford stx next time.

marvin-martian
07-05-2006, 09:54 AM
OMGORZ!@)#(_!(@)_%(

get a sports car and a truck like this http://www.chevrolet.com/ssr/photogallery/

eh, i dont really like it either
:dodgy:

03TiburonGT
07-05-2006, 10:33 AM
durrell you already know my feelings

vwjimmy
07-05-2006, 01:51 PM
I vote for the F150.......
I like the stang, but you can't move a fridge in it....
Step on the throttle in my V8 F-150 and I'm not disapointed...
besides, how are you going to move all your PB stuff?!?

03TiburonGT
07-05-2006, 02:14 PM
besides, how are you going to move all your PB stuff?!?

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/FordMustang/Images2/Trunk.jpg

viperx6x9x
07-05-2006, 08:38 PM
yeah vwjimmy makes a good point. get the f-150 and a lockable cover and you can drag everything you need to the paintball field and be able to lock it up.

a few coolers, some tents, all your gear, a few cases of balls. hell toss a few scuba tanks back there while your at it. plus a bed cover (if you get the hardshell kind) helps with mileage some. and yeah mines a chevy but ive never been dissapointed in the power. it still throws me back in the seat when i really wanna slam the pedal down. besides whats the gt like 300 hp, big deal ya got me by 15 horses, i got it by like 20 torque. i think the f-150 4.6 is right up there in horsepower and i guarantee ya its got more torque, plus you can get a 5.4 if ya want even better. only way your gettin the 5.4 in a mustang is if you wait for the gt 500 next year.

Hossy
07-05-2006, 08:41 PM
uncblue2412 (12:35:12 AM): I'm going to get the Mustang I'm pretty sure

the master has spoken

splaturout
07-06-2006, 05:01 AM
If you are going to "upgrade" a stallion you only have a couple things to consider..IF you already have a V-8 5.0 then buying the newer one would be a downgrade. If the insurance for the V8 isn't a problem (which it sounds like rents are paying for everything anyhow) then you need to look to Rousch or Saleen. Get a 5.0 one of those and be different.

The truck is nice and like they said about hauling around PB stuff. The places that I play (woodball) you sometimes need a truck to get to. My cabin needs a 4x4 during winter (04 explorer is what I drive) and people love the fact you can get to those places. Since you live in an area that doesn't have much winter you may never need a 4x4 but if you have a local race track (illegal) go there and find what they think.

DFSniper
07-06-2006, 05:21 AM
i think D has an old V6...ugly little thing (j/k!)

vwjimmy
07-06-2006, 05:31 PM
http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/FordMustang/Images2/Trunk.jpg
Still vote for the F150
I especially like the "Family Car" at the bottom.....need I say more? :cool:

splaturout
07-06-2006, 05:34 PM
You can't fit many (people) in that!!!!

mod edit: don't be cute, abide like the good people

03TiburonGT
07-06-2006, 05:38 PM
Still vote for the F150
I especially like the "Family Car" at the bottom.....need I say more? :cool:

Also featured on that website:

Shelby GT500
Aston Martin DB9
Cadillac XLR-V
Ford F150
Ford GT
Mazda RX-8
Pontiac GTO
Nissan 350Z
Mistubishi Eclipse
Honda S2000
Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Dodge Charger
Ferrari 360 Modena

need I say more?

Dont believe me? http://www.familycar.com/PhotoGallery.htm

03TiburonGT
07-06-2006, 05:40 PM
You can't fit many ****** in that!!!!

language bud, fix that

claustrophobia9
07-06-2006, 06:19 PM
i was gonn post pics of my mommys dodge but no camera...

Paradox313
07-06-2006, 08:35 PM
I love the 'stang
one of my cousins have one and oh my god
love the engine
the only downside i have to say about it is the handling
waaaaaay too sensitive

splaturout
07-07-2006, 03:33 AM
language bud, fix that

Let me guess you have not seen that movie! So that word is banned but others that slip by are ok...hmmmm. I am seeing that there is a huge age difference in here. I apologize and will refrain from using that type of language. By the way I was refering to the trunk only.
:p

durrell
07-09-2006, 11:53 AM
Well about hauling stuff around...my dad has an 02 F-150 4x4 and he told me he'd rather see me get the Mustang because I can use his truck whenever I need to so I'd be better suited to get the Mustang..

And about the handling, I haven't driven a new GT yet but I have driven an 05 V6 and I LOVE the way it feels..

And yes, right now I have a stock 03 V6 (3.8)..it's sooo slow.

Hossy
07-09-2006, 12:53 PM
well good luck with the mustang.

i just drove earlier today, accually i just got back, it was like my second time ever behind the wheel, and i did ok..

wouldnt the fx4 model be alot more sporty? isnt that what it basically is tho?

durrell
07-09-2006, 03:47 PM
FX4 F-150s are just 4x4's with an upgraded suspension and upgraded tires and rims. Alot of people mistake them for being different but they're not. The different packages are the XLT, Lariat, King Ranch, Harley Davidson, and Chrome editions.

Hossy
07-09-2006, 03:53 PM
eh, yeah imo king ranches are kinda ugly. The harley davidson looks kinda tight.

what color are u gonna end up getting for the mustang?

durrell
07-09-2006, 05:40 PM
First choice is gunmetal since it's so rare, 2nd is black, 3rd is silver. I'd take any of those colors.

I finally got my car fixed tonight..it kept cutting off and stalling at intersections and stop signs..ended up having to clean 2 sensors. :tup:

And for those of you wondering, my current ride is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/Durrell12/stang002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/Durrell12/stang006.jpg

Only upgrades are rims, headunit, and fog lights..and an 05 shifter knob lol :p

newkid
07-09-2006, 05:47 PM
eventually u could end up with the same problems with a new mustang, if u got a new one

durrell
07-09-2006, 08:14 PM
eventually u could end up with the same problems with a new mustang, if u got a new one

Nah, completely different motors.

splaturout
07-10-2006, 10:05 AM
Do some serious research before you buy a new one. I older ones (5.0) are a better car. The engine is bullet proof and there are so many mods for the engine it is easy and cheap to make really fast. Stay away from any V6 models as they will only get you laughed at. If you do end up with a V6, looking into super charging the engine. I don't know if a common set up has been released for the new models but I am sure it will be here soon.

durrell
07-10-2006, 10:39 AM
I have a V6 now, trust me..I know. And I have researched it but the 302 isnt for me..I'm not a fan of the Fox bodies. If I get anything other than the new GT, it would be an older GT (02-04) with the 260 HP 289. Don't want to mess with superchargers and NOS, as they can lead to stress on engine parts and even blown engines..