PDA

View Full Version : Aiming with stock on?

tehaines
07-03-2006, 09:56 AM
Ok, how the heck do you aim with the stock on? My mask hits against the stock when I'm trying to aim down the top rail. Am I the only one who likes to aim like this?
After reading the threads I've come up with a couple possible work arounds. (Although I'm not sure if I like any of them):

1. Don't play with the stock on. (So far this is what I'm doing but would prefer to use the stock.)
2. Cut off the top bar of the stock. (Maybe if I could find a spare stock to try it out on. I don't really want to do this on the original if I can help it.)
3. Mount a Red Dot sight on rail. (This may work but I don't know if it gives enough clearance so mask doesn't hit stock.) If someone has this setup and doesn't have a mask/stock issue, did you have to do anything other than just mounting the site? Does the hopper get in the way of the sight?
4. Stick the gun way out in front of you and butt the end of the stock up to your eye. (Its an option but not a good one.)

Any other suggestions or comments on the above?

Thanks for any input!

new_Faction64
07-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Option 2 has been done by LilC here on the forums.

Option 3 has been done, but I dunno specifically who did it.

TenderVittles
07-03-2006, 01:49 PM
Option 2 has also been done by me, and it works great. (Just thought i'd add that in.)

breakxeggs
07-03-2006, 07:56 PM
Well New Faction might be referring to me but I'm not sure, I have a red dot scope but I have it mounted on the bottem rail I am in the process of getting a Riser Rail so I can mount my scope 3/4" of an inch off of the top of the gun. As of yet I placed the order and its ready to ship I have to call them because it didn't process correctly with my credit card so I have to sort that out before I get it.

new_Faction64
07-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Well New Faction might be referring to me but I'm not sure, I have a red dot scope but I have it mounted on the bottem rail I am in the process of getting a Riser Rail so I can mount my scope 3/4" of an inch off of the top of the gun. As of yet I placed the order and its ready to ship I have to call them because it didn't process correctly with my credit card so I have to sort that out before I get it.

Yeah it was you, I couldn't remember exactly who it was, I was thinking you though.

Msniper
07-04-2006, 08:34 PM
I got a flex form mask. The ones that bend and are rubbery.
So it forms to the stock when I go to sight it.

Msniper

viperx6x9x
07-06-2006, 11:19 PM
well theres always hoping somebody can design a custom slightly offset sight. like instead of it coming straight back, they could design a plate that puts it an inch or 2 to the left/right (whichever your dominant eye is ) and straight back from there. that way you can put the stock on your shoulder but when you line up the sights your mask doesnt hit it cuz its a few inches to the side. its just a thought. god i could make some money on this stuff if i could get access to a lathe. I can draft up blueprints though, maybe i can sell some designs to aftermarket companies. lol

Guitar_kid99
07-07-2006, 06:01 AM
i have to find something to move it left because i want to use my right eye but i have nerve damage and cant keep my left i closed to well so i have no choice but to aim with my left eye

Blazer
07-11-2006, 07:08 PM
I tried mounting a Tasco RD30 red dot on the flat top mount (pitactinny ) and a BSA Scope on the 3/8" dovetail rail. Both were useless with my mask on. Neither scope was affected by the loader (you can work around it).

I recently ordered a see through tri-mount riser rail that raises the picatinny mount by 1.25". I mocked this up and it seems to work, but I won't really know until it's installed. I picked the tri-mount, because if all else fails I will mount the sight on the side rails.

You can pick up these rails on e-bay for $25.

If you are just looking for an iron sight, try the JT Tactical Sight/Handle that is meant for the Tac5.

tehaines
07-11-2006, 07:54 PM
I did what Blazer did so far. I purchased a Red Dot scope off ebay but my mask still hits the stock. So now I ordered an off set rail so I can put it off center up to an inch. Not sure how this will work yet as the sight instructions say to mount the scope as low as possible and directly vertical from the barrel. (which it won't be either of these when I'm done.)

Even with the scope moved I still may have to cut the top bar of the stock off. Plus I have found that the stock sits a little high for my shoulder when I aim in the scope. I may try heating the stock and bending it so it angles down slightly.

Has anyone tried heating the stock to bend it?

I ordered the rail from this place and my end up buying a new stock from them as well. http://www.jetcityspecialties.com/accessories.htm (Thanks for the link new_Faction64)

Blazer
07-11-2006, 08:10 PM
Just another thought, an angle mount might also work. It basically offsets the scope at 45 degrees from the top rail. I saw this setup on a A-5, and the owner claimed it worked. I think you can pick these up for $12-$16

Pitbullfan76
07-14-2006, 01:52 AM
I mounted a red dot scope on the top and it works great.

DRAGON
07-14-2006, 02:11 AM
Learn to aim w/o the help of an optical aide. I don't really even aim anymore, haven't for a while now. I just point it in the general direction and normally hit my mark -

ooglieboogliebob
07-14-2006, 04:16 AM
Learn to aim w/o the help of an optical aide. I don't really even aim anymore, haven't for a while now. I just point it in the general direction and normally hit my mark -

Are you sure your hitting your mark normally and not occasionally ?? :p

DRAGON
07-14-2006, 05:31 AM
Are you sure your hitting your mark normally and not occasionally ?? :p

Next time you're in Florida give me a holla and find out for yourself. 1 on 1's are easily arranged - ;)

I've been playing this game for almost 20 years now, aiming has become second nature. It's become as simple as pointing my finger -

ooglieboogliebob
07-14-2006, 06:28 AM
Next time you're in Florida give me a holla and find out for yourself. 1 on 1's are easily arranged - ;)

I've been playing this game for almost 20 years now, aiming has become second nature. It's become as simple as pointing my finger -

haha, will do :D ... it's been a while since i'v been in Florida though ... :(

I agree though ... using a site just takes too long ... unless it's some kind of woodsball or scenario ... still ... what if your last pair of batteries poop out on you :rolleyes: