PDA

View Full Version : change in music artists...

MatthewTheTheif
07-02-2006, 11:46 AM
ok, so i know ive had a few music threads recently, but i just bought Lostprophets new album "liberation transmition", and i was shocked...

they used to be soo B.A., they were all punk-underground type rock, but the new cd is all emo...

so i ask you all, do you think that a good band goes with the flow of society, or just does what they want and people who like it will listen?

Team Ramrod
07-02-2006, 11:48 AM
i think they should play thier own music and not care, but that wont bring in the profit, which most modern bads care more about. They would rather get rich any way possible than play for the music and it shows.

WhatThaSmurf
07-02-2006, 11:53 AM
But if you go to their concerts, they will play a lot of their older, better stuff.

MatthewTheTheif
07-02-2006, 12:03 PM
true, but eventually, this will be what they play at their concerts, and personally, i dont want to fall asleep at the concert

durrell
07-02-2006, 01:21 PM
They change with society and society listens to anything Emo.

druid
07-02-2006, 02:39 PM
reference 1 i think they should play thier own music and not care, but that wont bring in the profit, which most modern bads care more about. reference 2 They would rather get rich any way possible than play for the music and it shows.

Metallica vs Napster....prime example in both references...

timmyshoota
07-02-2006, 03:07 PM
It happens with every band. You'll find them changing their style because of whats popular. It isn't always to make more money, sometimes its because its the music they like. They listen to music just like us, and have favorite bands just like us. If they start getting into a "new" genre of music, you can bet they will probably adapt their music to it. Some people don't like it, but some do. You can't please everyone. Metallica is one of the bands that has hardly changed over the years. I can be changing stations and hear like 1 or 2 rifts from a Metallica song and IMMEDIATELY know its Metallica, even if I've never heard the song. Other bands aren't the same, their style changes over time.

With this said, I like lostprophets but haven't heard their new CD. I might check it out.

UKwithPride
07-02-2006, 04:39 PM
Some bands change, and it may not be good for them, it may be their highlight in their career. Do you ever listen to thrice? If you don't, listen to them for a great example. They change ALOT from their CD Identity Crisis. Identity Crisis and Illusion of safety were almost equal. When their CD Artist in the ambulance came out, there was a HUGE change in their style, guitars, vocals, etc. But not as big as their change was from AITA to Vheissu.

timmyshoota
07-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Thrice is a real good example. I remember listening to them a year ago, and then my friend played me some newer stuff and I was like "huh?"

marvin-martian
07-02-2006, 05:16 PM
thrice = amazing

timmyshoota
07-02-2006, 05:34 PM
Agreed.

UKwithPride
07-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Agreed.
. .

MatthewTheTheif
07-02-2006, 06:18 PM
yeah, ive heard thrice's new stuff, none of the old though.

idk, i guess i just wanted to vent, im really mad, cause the new CD has like, 3 really good songs, but the rest are really slow and i dont like them

DFSniper
07-05-2006, 05:52 AM
heres some more examples:

Yellowcard~
One for the Kids & The Underdog EP - pretty good considering nobody knew who they were

Ocean Avenue - getting political and whiney

Lights and Sounds - really emo, whiney, political, and the music, i dont even know what to categorize that as!!

Metallica~

Their old stuff was awesome, even after all the changes in band members (replacing Mustaine & Burton)

Then Kirk Hammet decides not to write anymore solos, ok, the rest of the songs were still good.

St. Anger - everyones getting mad at Rob Trujillo, but guess what, those songs were written before he joined. if you listen to suicidal tendencies and his old stuff, you'd know what he can really do.

Their new cd is supposed to sound more like their old stuff because they realized St. Anger was a flop.

as for lost prophets, i liked Start Something, but i didnt really like The Fake Sound of Progress, it was kinda emo and they tried mixing in turn tables (ive only heard live stuff, not the actual album) and that didnt sound right. i havent heard the new cd.

i guess its a little of both, they write what they like, but the realize that some of the stuff they write would be more publicly accepted by things that are going on.

edit: when you said there were only 3 good songs, was Rooftops one of em? thats the only one i could find so far.