PDA

View Full Version : New to game

Deadnoob
01-04-2006, 06:34 AM
Hello,

I am Deadnoob, I have purchased markers for my 3 sons and myself and I have a question, I have the Kingman sonix pro, I bought it as a kit, are there barrels I can by for this model other then the short barrel that came with the marker, and if I bought a 14" barrel what would be the advantage of it over the shorter stock barrel.

Thanks in advance, and by the way my boys and me have been having a blast with these things. They would like to put together a team, is there age limits, what I mean is can I as an adult join a team of younger players and compete with them?

QAZ123
01-04-2006, 06:41 AM
The benefit's of an aftermarket barrel would be that they are honed and/or ported most of the time resulting in better accuracy. You would definitely benefit from getting and aftermarket 12-14" barrel!

As far as a team goes it just depend's. A lot of younger kid's would play what you call "young guns" tourney where the age limit is sometimes 15 and under or 18 and under.

You can play any other type of tourney's with them!
Welcome to the forum's

JB.

Deadnoob
01-04-2006, 06:45 AM
Thanks,

I am glad to see that this will be fun for my kids and myself, I am a long time online Gamer of the Quake series games, and the forums there were alot of fun, I am also glad to see that this community seems to want that same thing, fun, no drama or bs. Thanks again for your quik reply, would you know where to get an after market barrel for this marker, or would any 12" to 14" barrel fit, I think for the most part they all pretty much seem to be the same thread in the barrel area, please correct me if I am wrong.

chubb0rz
01-04-2006, 06:45 AM
Welcome to the forums.

The gun you purchased has "Spyder Threads" for the barrel. There are a ton out there, just make sure you buy one with spyder threads.

There is no age limit for teams unless you are playing a specific tournament format. Most of the time the field or hoster will specify if there is an age limit. The younger age division is called Young Guns, which players have to be 15 yrs old or younger.

bamf-hacker
01-04-2006, 06:47 AM
Also check out this site. It will give you a lot of useful information.

Otters Site (http://www.ottersccustoms.com/index.html)

Welcome and ask away!!

HacKeR

Deadnoob
01-04-2006, 06:47 AM
ahhhhhh,

so all threads are not created equal. Thanks for the tips.

QAZ123
01-04-2006, 06:51 AM
ahhhhhh,

so all threads are not created equal. Thanks for the tips.
No most marker's have different barrel threading. You can check our sales forum for spyder barrel's or go to online sites like www.pbgear.com and order from there or other sites of the such!

JB.

Deadnoob
01-04-2006, 06:52 AM
Is this a good marker, for the price a paid, it was pretty cheap actually, but I have been using it and i have hit my players square in the goggles with little or no effort. Just wondering if this is a good model?

QAZ123
01-04-2006, 06:54 AM
It's not a bad marker for being your first marker. Upgrading it may be an option. I would definitely start off with a barrel then go from there!

JB.

bamf-hacker
01-04-2006, 07:03 AM
Otters site will also have upgrade info and barrel info for you. It is an awesome referance tool, and after reading it you can post here for more answers.

(Link above)

HacKeR

Deadnoob
01-04-2006, 07:26 AM
Never imagined that this would be so big and so much to learn:o

QAZ123
01-04-2006, 07:28 AM
lol!

You have just begun to see the light!;)

JB.

Deadnoob
01-04-2006, 07:40 AM
Someone told me that some people put the paintballs in the freezer before they play, why would you do that, that has got to hurt like a mother.

QAZ123
01-04-2006, 07:42 AM
Heard of it. Don't know anbody that has done it. Pretty sure they won't be worht a darn to even shoot really so hitting a target is kinda pointless.

JB.

Deadnoob
01-04-2006, 07:45 AM
Thats what i would think, at that density it would be like a two year old throwing a brick.

What is the differece between CO2 and Nitris? Is there a benifit to the nitris?

QAZ123
01-04-2006, 07:49 AM
Well it's not really nitrous. It's compressed air. It's a lot more consistant than c02 as c02 is actually a liquid. Compressed air is just what it say's it's a constant air that is just better for your marker in general.

JB.

Drefish99
01-04-2006, 07:52 AM
Welcome to the sport. Hope you remember to enjoy the game and not give in to the Hype machine that drives this sport. :) Play fun..

druid
01-04-2006, 07:53 AM
never, ever, EVER freeze paintballs! The reasons are:
1. liquids expand when frozen (ruins paint, makes them 'out of round')
2. (the most important reason) you'll never be guaranteed they will completely thaw...they will shatter a mask lense. I know you don't want to permanently blind or disfugure one of your boys...
3. (least important) scratches and ruins barrel bores

Paint maintenence is easy...it lasts a few weeks without worry.
Every other day, rotate the box to a new side.
Keep it in a cool, dry and humidity free location.
Do not crush it.

Keeping this regiment, I have had paint last 5 months with no problems but I also use better grade paint.

Deadnoob
01-04-2006, 07:54 AM
I am old school in alot of ways, just new tp PB, I have always been one to have fun, no matter what my skill level was or is or will be. I teach this in my children as well. Thanks for the welcome. :D

Deadnoob
01-04-2006, 07:57 AM
Thanks Druid,

Like I said it is cool that guys like you all are here to help the noobish, I would never freeze a paintball, and certainly would never shoot anyone with a frozen PB. CERTAINLY NOT ONE OF MY OWN BOYS.;)

BallerX
01-04-2006, 08:01 AM
One important this to remember is that different barrels have different bore sizes, and different paint has different sizes as well. The best thing to do for your "accuracy" is to ensure you have a close match between the bore size of your barrel, and the average size of the paint you are using.

Barrel Bore Size:
http://www.ottersccustoms.com/barrelc.html

Paint Sizes:
http://www.ottersccustoms.com/paintc.html

Lots of people invest in a barrel kit, offering them interchangable bore sizes, to match the paint they have readily available. The best thing to do in your case is figure out what type of paint you will typically be using, and then find a good barrel to fit that. There are several good barrel options for under $50, making this a relatively cheap upgrade.

Also - safety first! Make sure you and your boys keep those goggles on at all times! And use your barrel plugs or condoms. It may seem silly at first, but you'll soon find out how easy it is to have a miss fire in the staging area, and you'll be glad you had your barrel plug in when you do!

Welcome to the sport, and welcome to the forums!

druid
01-04-2006, 08:03 AM
thanks baller.....beat me to it :p

vikingshadow
01-04-2006, 08:07 AM
Welcome, and as an "older" person myself, and in answer to one of your questions, you can indeed form teams with younger players. My team has two 15 year olds on it, and it works fine. Like was said, we can't play young guns though.

This is a great place to come and learn. It was the first forum I came to and I've never left. Been to several others, but they aren't the same. Seems to me the barrel and paint thing has been covered pretty well. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! That's what we're here for!

Deadnoob
01-04-2006, 08:12 AM
Very cool info, thank you,

I have used a few different types of PB's and I have had great success with accurcy on my gun and my chikdrens guns with Draxxus Dusk balls, these are a little more pricy then the bucket of balls you can by but it seems when I by the buckets they seem to break more often and break easier and not shoot so strait.

I have made the rules and safety the #1 priority to my children, these are not toys by any stretch of the imagination. Safeties stay on "and the guns came with barrel plugs" untill the match starts, if tagged your saftey goes on and you sit untill another round starts, I told them if they shoot at others not polaying or in a match, cars, homes, animals, etc, thier guns will be taken "FOREVER" no if's an's or but's about it.

I want this to be something we can do together, and if they choose and get good at it and wish to do tournies that I would back them 100% but with this comes great responsibilty.

Deadnoob
01-04-2006, 08:26 AM
How often should the markers be broken down, cleaned oiled etc. ?

I dont just mean cleaning the barrel after a day in the woods, I mean a good cleaning and pm ?

QAZ123
01-04-2006, 08:29 AM
You could clean them after every day of play but it's not necessary. It just depend's on how often you play really. I would clean the exterior and barrel after every time you play then the bolt like every other time or something like that.

JB.

Drefish99
01-04-2006, 08:30 AM
I do full breakdown and lube before any big games and tournies. For regular rec ball I might drop a few drops of pb oil in the ASA and shoot a few times without the barrel on to lube up the marker before a game.

Deadnoob
01-04-2006, 08:36 AM
sweet, thanks :D

Deadnoob
01-04-2006, 08:37 AM
If I am sking too much too soon just pimp slap me and send me on my way :D

Drefish99
01-04-2006, 08:46 AM
If I am sking too much too soon just pimp slap me and send me on my way :D

Eslaps aren't free round these parts. But here ya go... Free fish slap. :fishhead: and a free kick in the jubilees :nutkick:

hehe :p

If ya asked too many questions we would either a) ignore you or b) ignore you. So go ask away.

Heck I remember when Vike was still new and he had full page threads that would go in-depth into the heart and mind of the question he was asking that by the end of the post I think he fell asleep. Those were good times before he took his medicine to keep him up during the day.

Deadnoob
01-04-2006, 09:33 AM
nothing like a good e-slap to wake ya up.

I have another question, is it normal when you run out of ammo to pull the trigger and have the gun to continiue to fire on it's own?

QAZ123
01-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Yep that's normal!

JB.

Deadnoob
01-04-2006, 09:37 AM
cool, that happened the other day to me and I was like WTF.

bamf-hacker
01-04-2006, 09:46 AM
I break my gun down after each day of play. I know you don't have to but I am anal retentive about my stuff and like to keep it in pristine condition. I don't take out the valve, but pretty much everything else comes out. And now that I have the Vike dishwasher mod ;) it will be even easier to clean my gun and equipment.

and I want to be fish slapped... I am falling asleep at work...

HacKeR

Drefish99
01-04-2006, 09:54 AM
and I want to be fish slapped... I am falling asleep at work...

Blammo!!!
http://www.spyder.tv/forums/images/smilies/spyder/fishhead.gif

bamf-hacker
01-04-2006, 09:56 AM
WIDE AWAKE!!

Thanks

HacKeR

vikingshadow
01-04-2006, 09:59 AM
Heck I remember when Vike was still new and he had full page threads that would go in-depth into the heart and mind of the question he was asking that by the end of the post I think he fell asleep. Those were good times before he took his medicine to keep him up during the day.

Ahhh, the good ol' days.....before I figured out that questions get answered faster if you use small words and throw in a couple of grunts and whistles! hahahaha!

No, don't worry about questions. It's like he said, we'll just ignore ya if they get too irritating! This isn't like those other forums where you get flamed for being new...And of course, if ya get too out of line, we'll just send Dre over with his fish!

Oh, and in response to your other post in the age thread, I'm older by 1 year, and there are a few even older than me! Who'd have thunk that was even possible?

Deadnoob
01-04-2006, 10:02 AM
good news, I got scared reading that thread, I was starting to feel like Michel Jackson for a minute:D

Deadnoob
01-04-2006, 12:09 PM
http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=Jl4m-wpwDp8mZ0nMAM7mUwC5gx6TJ4vBJYs=?ProductID=drzAqArb hcUAAAD__ZRHHeYV#

overkill or just what I need to step up my game. :D

QAZ123
01-04-2006, 12:14 PM
Never heard of that brand. Look for brand's like CP, J & J and perhap's Smart part's one piece barel's. No longer length is need than 12-14".

JB.

BallerX
01-04-2006, 12:19 PM
I'm not a fan of any barrel over 14". It's just added drag, turning your marker into a gas hog. You're fin with anything 10 - 14" long. I've had a 16" and a 10" and have not experience a gain in "accuracy". 10" was just as good as the 16" so long as my paint to barrel match was good.

DexGtr
01-04-2006, 02:31 PM
http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=Jl4m-wpwDp8mZ0nMAM7mUwC5gx6TJ4vBJYs=?ProductID=drzAqArb hcUAAAD__ZRHHeYV#

overkill or just what I need to step up my game. :D

yes it is...that's what i call a walking stick. Stick with barrels that are below 14" long.

vikingshadow
01-04-2006, 03:56 PM
Holy poo, Batman! That's a long barrel! I personally prefer barrels to be in the 12"-14" range, myself. 16" is a bit long for my tastes...but 22"? Wow, I didn't realize they still made them that long!

bamf-hacker
01-04-2006, 07:11 PM
For the same price you can get a 14" J&J Ceramic barrel. That is a good one piece barrel. Here is a link.

J&J Ceramic (http://www.skanline.com/pages-productinfo/category-1_11/product-846/paintball-gun-barrels-j-and-j-performance-jj-j-and-j-ceramic-barrel.html?zenid=e7ff3787a9e11f8d363a9f37c2f14827 )

HacKeR

Deadnoob
01-05-2006, 04:58 AM
what is the advantage/disadvanrage to a ceramic barrel vs aluminum?

QAZ123
01-05-2006, 05:01 AM
I'm assuming your talking about the J & J ceramic. They are nice barrel's and what they are hyping is the ceramic coating to make the barrel slick and smooth. Also they have stated that you can shoot out break's in the barrel if they happen. I don't know about that as I can do that with most barrel's.

There really good barrel's but I don't see too many advantages cause you would see more people with them.

What website are you looking at barrel's on? I can help with some input as to what they have in stock!

JB.

Deadnoob
01-05-2006, 05:08 AM
http://www.skanline.com/pages-productinfo/category-1_11/product-846/paintball-gun-barrels-j-and-j-performance-jj-j-and-j-ceramic-barrel.html?zenid=e7ff3787a9e11f8d363a9f37c2f14827

That is the page I saw the barrel it was givin to me by hacker :D

QAZ123
01-05-2006, 05:11 AM
Dang!
$29.99

Buy it!
As long as that companies not like in CA or something!
JB.

Deadnoob
01-05-2006, 05:13 AM
and this barrel will help with acc.

question #2 when changing the volocity how can you tell if it is changing, I can not see the ball now untill it hits something. Is the a test you can do to see the effect? And what would be the best way to get the maximum performance from my Spyder pro ?

QAZ123
01-05-2006, 05:17 AM
Yes an aftermarket barrel will help with accuracy.

The only good way to check your velocity is to chronograph it over a field's chrono or to get a chronograph yourself! It's a really good investment and really the only way to chrono in.http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=Q2wuofpoGtQu7rnVaUnuCfC8Ua4nvc602M0=?Pro ductID=eWysFAY7CzYAAAD3kXilA_2y

JB.

Deadnoob
01-05-2006, 05:20 AM
Sweet, so it basicaly works like a radar gun ?

QAZ123
01-05-2006, 05:23 AM
Yep pretty much. I didn't see any on that skanline site but that if you purchase one that is the exact one I would recommend as that is the one that is in my gear bag right now for the past 3 year's.

JB.

Deadnoob
01-05-2006, 05:26 AM
cool, so what other tweks can I do to this thing to bring the levels up on it, such as springs, air vs co2, faster triggers ?

QAZ123
01-05-2006, 05:31 AM
mmm well I would check out www.ottersccustoms.com and look at his spyder pages for some home modification's. I would look into getting a clamping feedneck and perhap's an electronic loader like a 12v revvy. There is also the E-frame's you can purchase which are bolt on electronic frames but I would wait on that until you think it's necessary.

JB.

bamf-hacker
01-05-2006, 05:52 AM
here is the Chrono at Skanline

chrono (http://www.skanline.com/pages-productinfo/category-300_301/product-1414/paintball-field-gear-chronographs-miscellaneous-sport-sensor-hand-chrono.html?zenid=c2c7610fff6b4f01e1ce69253ed04abf )

and the J&J barrel is great I have one and it does let you shoot it clean. Turn your gun upside down so no paint is going to the gun and shoot 2 or 3 times and it is clean. I only switched to the CP 2 piece to better match my paint/bore.

HacKeR

Deadnoob
01-05-2006, 06:21 AM
I want my Spyder to look like this.:D

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-CUSTOM-SPYDER-Paintball-Sniper-Marker-Gun-ULTIMATE_W0QQitemZ7209516610QQcategoryZ47246QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

QAZ123
01-05-2006, 06:27 AM
No comment!:confused:

JB.

bamf-hacker
01-05-2006, 06:29 AM
:yeahthat:

HacKeR

Drefish99
01-05-2006, 06:29 AM
We all did in the beginning stages of paintball. Then you realize that paintballs aren't very accurate and have to shoot more than one to actually hit a target. So you switch to the hype of "accuracy by quantity"... :)

QAZ123
01-05-2006, 06:31 AM
have to shoot more than one to actually hit a target. So you switch to the hype of "accuracy by quantity"... :)
pshhhtt... speak fo yo self!;)

JB.

Deadnoob
01-05-2006, 06:33 AM
I was just kidding, all I need is an better barrel, and some small options, get my paint to bore ratio under control, and I will whoop some a**:D

bamf-hacker
01-05-2006, 06:34 AM
however I did have a guy using a leased Tipman A-5 tell me you cant shoot straight unless you have a sight. That the sight helps the paintball find the target. I am glad I was wearing my goggles, so he did not see me laughing.

Didn't want to insult him.

HacKeR

BallerX
01-05-2006, 06:41 AM
...and if I hear one more person tell me thier 21" barrel lets them shoot further at 300 fps than my 10" barrel, I'm going to scream. Take a physics class.

QAZ123
01-05-2006, 06:41 AM
I know quite a few stock class player's that roll with either a sight or what you call a ghost ring. I don't care for them but some people preach about them. I just point my phantom to the spot I want it to hit and I'm good to go!

JB.

Deadnoob
01-05-2006, 06:44 AM
Sight my arse, I may be new, but the times I have played I have hit at least 1 time per round someone in the goggle at between then 140'-240' not just rapid fire mind you but looking down my barrel nowing the hight of the oppenent and taking aim to the left or right side of a tree or another form of protection and bam right between the eyes :D

NO SIGHTS NEEDED SIR/I DECLINE:cool:

vikingshadow
01-05-2006, 08:28 AM
I think I'm the only voice of dissention on the J&J barrel in this entire forum. I have one and I didn't find any of the benefits that's spouted by people on a daily basis. I actually have it for sale (see my sales thread - 20.00!!!) Now, I really like my 32* Night Stick on my spyder (it's also for sale.) Made it very quiet, very accurate and it looked cool. 32* isn't very popular, but I had nothing but good things to say about the barrel. But, to each their own.

I didn't check to see what all was posted here, but my list of top 5 additions/mods on a spyder are:

1. Barrel
2. Regulator (something other than stock on most guns)
3. Clamping feed neck
4. Motorized/agitating hopper (Revy, Reloader, Eggy)
5. Electronic Frame

You could throw in an on/off ASA with the regulator because those are so sweet. But make sure it's one with a bleed hole in it. I hate shooting down air to remove my tank.

Sounds like you have a good handle on this stuff and have made a decent start! Welcome to the forums and to the sport!

QAZ123
01-05-2006, 08:32 AM
Now, I really like my 32* Night Stick on my spyder (it's also for sale.) Made it very quiet, very accurate and it looked cool. 32* isn't very popular, but I had nothing but good things to say about the barrel. But, to each their own.

I had one on a tippmann and a spyder before and it was so nice, accurate and quiet! Not sure why people don't like them. Probably just a marketing thing!

JB.

vikingshadow
01-05-2006, 10:05 AM
I think that's exactly it. They have no real gimmick to sell their stuff.

Deadnoob
01-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Thanks to all of you who are helping me, this is so great, I already have the clamping unit, I will order my barrel this weekend when I review what is out there, I just am a little in the dark about the e-frame what is it and what does it do?

vikingshadow
01-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Instead of having a mechanical sear tripper, it has a microswitch (that feels like the click of a mouse) and electronics activate the solenoid. You can "tweak" them to reach pretty high shooting speeds. You definitely have to have a faster hopper and you shoot a lot more paint with an electric frame.

The e-frame is just an "E"lectric frame like that.

Deadnoob
01-06-2006, 07:55 AM
Who can find me Draxxus Dusk paintballs, Green/white white fill. I have checked alot of places and most are out of stock, any help would be greatly apreicated.

QAZ123
01-06-2006, 07:59 AM
The Dusk brand from what I understood is a "Wal-Mart only" brand which mean's it was only for sale at wal-mart and maybe some chain sporting good's stores!

I think they quit making it in general though!

JB.

Deadnoob
01-06-2006, 08:22 AM
Thats kinda what I figured, only places I saw were chains, and when you try to order it on-line they said out of stock, I really liked that ball, any others with the same quality for around that price, for 1000 it was $19.99 ? Now it might have been that cheap because they were trying to dump the rest of there stock.

QAZ123
01-06-2006, 08:28 AM
mmm... Diablo Blaze, Formula 13, Xball, Anything PMI/RPS!

The scorch paint at wal-mart really isn't bad either for the price if your playing recball!

JB.

Deadnoob
01-06-2006, 08:48 AM
Ya what I want is a ball for just rec, a good decent ball that is priced ok, I see these buckets and my brother bought one and the balls sucked, breakage and shooting way off target. Just a good ball for rec? any suggestions.

vikingshadow
01-06-2006, 08:56 AM
Academy Sports sells Dusk, or they were a year or so ago....

Xball bronze is good and cheap off Actionvillage.

bigred76
01-06-2006, 09:14 AM
I get a case of GAP for $45 with tax normally, and it works well for whatever I'm doing. Shoots pretty darn straight, and it's the same price as a few other low-performing balls my store carries.

chubb0rz
01-06-2006, 09:19 AM
Empire Fuel, Xball Bronze or White Box from a Pball store should be fine. When buying it from a retail no-pball store, alot of times they dont store the paint like it should so it gets dimpled, broken or hardens to a brick.

For practice most of my team uses the white box paint we get from the coach, not sure where he gets it but shoots good enough for practice. Next weekend we got a tourny and if we at least make it to the finals we get a paintsponser wohoo!