PDA

View Full Version : How does a Shocker, Dm5, & Ion compare?

Sandman_Bravo
06-30-2006, 06:44 PM
I recently had the opportunity to shoot a Dm5 and liked it considerably. I've been eyeing up the Shockers for some time, but both the Dm5 and Shocker are out of my range right now. I have been looking at the Ion Pro and could swing the cash for that, or wait & save up. I haven't fired an Ion yet. I guess the thing that impressed me most about the Dye was the lack of re-coil and smoothness of it. (I don't like the looks of the body as much as the shocker tho) I've gotten my Pilot as smooth as a blowback can be I think, but want to take the next step up. Will the Ion perform similiar to the more expensive Shocker or Dm5? Any comments or info guys? Thanx-

http://www.sakworldpaintball.com/20smpaionpro4.html

http://www.sakworldpaintball.com/hytetrsesh.html

:)

Sandman_Bravo
07-01-2006, 04:06 AM
I guess the other thing I was thinking is if I got the Ion I'd probably drop another 100-200 in upgrades(board, body-http://www.pbreview.com/products/reviews/3728/ ,and qev) so now I'm in the upper price range with the Dm & Shocker. Don't know what to do? :confused: The only good part to the Ion option is I could get a little at a time, i.e. easier on the wallet.

Found another ion even cheaper:
http://www.orderpaintball.com/detail.aspx?ID=1189

I need help deciding:undecided:

bamf-hacker
07-01-2006, 05:54 AM
OK here is the deal...

The Shocker and DM5 are higher end guns. The Ion is an entry level high end gun. Yes you could upgrade the Ion 100% (like me) and have a very good gun, but unless you get really good deals on stuff (like me) it will cost you as much as a DM6 or Ego. If you just get the Ion and a few base upgrades, (QEV, Feedneck, ASA, Barrel) then you will be well under the cost of the others and have a decent marker.

There that is my .02. I am sure you saw many Ion shooting and what they can do. If not let me know and I will post a link to a few videos for you.

HacKeR

ShadowX
07-01-2006, 06:04 AM
Yeah, ION Pro's are nice they give the first essential upgrades to an ION.. Minus the QEV.. But QEV's are only 15-20 bucks.. But, IMO are the best thing you can ever do to an ION..

The ION Pro is a good deal.. Comes with a Freak Jr. with a .693 insert.. Which is a little big, but atleast you wont be breaking paint because your bore is too small.. The Q-Lock feed neck is the nicest in the business IMO.. The Rail and on/off is also very good.. I have the same rail and on/off and I love it..

So yea, pick up the ION along with a Smart Parts 360* QEV and you are set for 320 bucks..

thechubbss12
07-01-2006, 06:21 AM
Ehh ions are iffy for alot of people... I think that there is nothing wrong with them or owning them... its just if you own it then you are probibly going to get flamed at your field.

I would suggest you look into other High end low resale marker.. that you can buy for used.... Like play the market. Next year the DM7 is going to come out and what does that mean for the resale of DM4? It means that they will do for the same amount of money that the DM3s were going for this year (200-$350). You will still get a spool valved marker similar to the Ion, Shocker, and Freestyles just not new. Although in coming not new you will get ups on it...

So what i am saying is dont buy a Ion new with acouple of upps. When you can wait and buy a DM4 with Lots of upps for aroung the same price.

Sandman_Bravo
07-01-2006, 06:58 AM
thanx guys.
Chubbs, I've been watching e-bay for shockers & DMs but they are all within $75 of a new one. Do you know of anyplace else to find a shocker or DM used? How does the Shocker shoot compared to the Dye? I don't care about anyone flaming me at the field, they can piss off!

thechubbss12
07-01-2006, 08:15 AM
Shop PBNation for all used paintball gun needs... thats were you will find the good deals.

IMO all spool valves feel the same... its all personal preferance.

EmagWh0r3
07-01-2006, 10:28 AM
thanx guys.
Chubbs, I've been watching e-bay for shockers & DMs but they are all within $75 of a new one. Do you know of anyplace else to find a shocker or DM used? How does the Shocker shoot compared to the Dye? I don't care about anyone flaming me at the field, they can piss off!
I'm sellin a one time used 05 Shocker Vision for 450 with some goodies, check the sales corner for the details.

Sandman_Bravo
07-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Same story on PBNation, close to or within $75 of a new gun. Emag's is a good deal tho, but if I'm going to spend the cash I want a black one. Guess I'm too picky, lol. I'm still looking at that Ion Pro, I really like it the more I see of them. I've got to ask to shoot one of somebody's.

colonel_moo
07-01-2006, 12:42 PM
if the thing that impressed you was lack of recoil and smoothness, try shooting a DM3/gen-e matrix. but you can get a dm4 for around 400-450 on PBN, they are basically the same as a dm5, just differnet milling. if you dont mind the weight, you can pick up a nice dm3 for 250-300 depending on ups.

timmyshoota
07-01-2006, 12:44 PM
The bolts are way different on the DM3 and DM5. Same basic bolt, but way different. I agree though, if weight isn't a problem, DM3s are awesome.

Sandman_Bravo
07-04-2006, 05:00 PM
As much as I like the looks of the Shocker (still haven't got to fire one yet) I think the Ion Pro is more in my price range. What do you think of this body:
http://www.trinitypaintball.com/link/link/ionsickcamogreen_b.png
http://www.trinitypaintball.com/upgrades-ionbodiestemplate3.htm
on an olive pro?
http://www.sakworldpaintball.com/20smpaionpro4.html
:up: :cool2:

pman15
07-04-2006, 05:08 PM
hmmmm that is definately a must have for a ion owner for a woodsballer,that is one sexy wooded color.and for the olive i like that color also but im sure u can find that olive ion cheaper on some other site

Sandman_Bravo
07-04-2006, 05:10 PM
no, I've been looking.

bamf-hacker
07-04-2006, 05:11 PM
I am not big on form over function. If you get a body get a BoB one, so with that I say get the olive one.

HacKeR

pman15
07-04-2006, 05:11 PM
hmm ill look at some sites for ya

Sandman_Bravo
07-04-2006, 05:14 PM
Thanx pm. I see a lot of the base model for 199, but that's the cheapest I've seen the pro for at Saks. If it were possible I'd love to have the Deadly Wind Foehn body with the Trinity's ano job on it.
bamf, you have a link to the BoB? Not sure what you mean.

pman15
07-04-2006, 05:29 PM
hmmmm gone through 50 pages or so on google search and nu lucky.but i guess u should go for that package at sakworld cause i cant find it any cheaper,only more expensive really

timmyshoota
07-04-2006, 05:31 PM
Thanx pm. I see a lot of the base model for 199, but that's the cheapest I've seen the pro for at Saks. If it were possible I'd love to have the Deadly Wind Fohen body with the Trinity's ano job on it.
bamf, you have a link to the BoB? Not sure what you mean.
BoB = bolt out back. There are a few bodies which give you that ability. I'm not sure which ones have it, but the Foehn and I think the Stage 5 do. druid or hacker could probably tell you which ones do.

bamf-hacker
07-04-2006, 05:36 PM
BoB bodies

Deadlywind Foehn (http://www.deadlywind.com/store/foehn/index.html)
Lucky Stage 5 and 6 (not out yet) (http://www.buyluckypaintball.com/servlet/StoreFront)
Strange (http://www.teamstrange.net/strangear/proddetail.php?prod=SGionbodyPwtr&cat=34)

If you wanted you could e-mail Colin from Deadlywind and ask if you could get a Foehn raw. Then you could anno it whatever you wanted.

HacKeR

Spinal
07-05-2006, 09:36 AM
it will cost you as much as a Ego.
you can get $800 in upgrades? performance that is not cosmetics.

bamf-hacker
07-05-2006, 09:58 AM
you can get $800 in upgrades? performance that is not cosmetics.

$199.99 Gun
$139.99 BoB Body
$19.99 QEV
$39.99 Feedneck
$79.99 Regulator
$39.99 ASA w/on-off
$129.99 Board
$19.99 Membrane pad and adapter
$179.99 Barrel kit
$39.99 Trigger
$54.99 Bolt
$19.99 Detents
$24.99 Grips

Total $989.87 not including the tank and loader

Now you could uses cheaper stuff of used but that is all new and top of the line stuff.

So yes you can upgrade an Ion to almost an Ego's price with functional parts.

HacKeR

p.s. Not even close to what I paid.... (got some great deals on stuff)

bigred76
07-05-2006, 10:39 AM
You forgot lazer eyes, AC threaded breeches, Lucky Stages....Lol, there's a ton of upgrades for Ions.

bamf-hacker
07-05-2006, 10:42 AM
You forgot lazer eyes, AC threaded breeches, Lucky Stages....Lol, there's a ton of upgrades for Ions.

He only wanted to see the functional upgrades. The breech and eyes are not really functional, more cosmetic. The Lucky Stages is functional though.

But yes there are toooooonnnnsssss of upgrades for the Ion.

HacKeR

claustrophobia9
07-05-2006, 11:47 AM
$199.99 Gun
$139.99 BoB Body
$19.99 QEV
$39.99 Feedneck
$79.99 Regulator
$39.99 ASA w/on-off
$129.99 Board
$19.99 Membrane pad and adapter
$179.99 Barrel kit
$39.99 Trigger
$54.99 Bolt
$19.99 Detents
$24.99 Grips

Total $989.87 not including the tank and loader

Now you could uses cheaper stuff of used but that is all new and top of the line stuff.

So yes you can upgrade an Ion to almost an Ego's price with functional parts.

HacKeR

p.s. Not even close to what I paid.... (got some great deals on stuff)

im sorry but that is the noob-est purchase list i have ever seen... because you started with 200 dollar ion. if you want an ion that shoots well IM me and ill assist you PERSONALLY in making a spool valve that functions well and looks atleast decent for less than what bamf has projected.

there are only 50 dollars worth of parts that are on the ion that you would want to keep why spend 150 extra

bamf-hacker
07-05-2006, 12:09 PM
im sorry but that is the noob-est purchase list i have ever seen... because you started with 200 dollar ion. if you want an ion that shoots well IM me and ill assist you PERSONALLY in making a spool valve that functions well and looks atleast decent for less than what bamf has projected.

there are only 50 dollars worth of parts that are on the ion that you would want to keep why spend 150 extra

Trying to understand your post... You are saying don't get the Ion base, just build it yourself?

If that is what you mean I agree 100% since every Ion part is available aftermarket, minus the banjos, but you can get those.

I did not do that because I played with my Ion while I was upgrading.

That was just showing you could get almost an Ego's worth in upgrades.

HacKeR

Sandman_Bravo
07-05-2006, 01:46 PM
I think I'm saving for a black shocker with vision. I think even after upgrading, it won't shoot like the shocker will stock and I'll have enough invested in it to buy the shocker anyway.

claustrophobia9
07-05-2006, 02:06 PM
Trying to understand your post... You are saying don't get the Ion base, just build it yourself?

If that is what you mean I agree 100% since every Ion part is available aftermarket, minus the banjos, but you can get those.

I did not do that because I played with my Ion while I was upgrading.

That was just showing you could get almost an Ego's worth in upgrades.

HacKeR
ya, dont ever buy the base ion if you want to make one.