PDA

View Full Version : REALLY annoying constant sound..

leed
06-30-2006, 11:04 AM
Okay, so I wiped my hard drive and reloaded all the software (XP, and the drivers and such) just yesterday, but now it's making a really really annoying sound every couple minutes, and I have no idea why. Even if no programs are running. And no, it's not AIM or anything, or a default sound, because even if it was, theres no reason it should be going off all the time?

Well, my first predicition was that it was the Activation thing, since I have 30 days to activate it. And I tried that, but my COA# on the bottom of my laptop doesn't work? So I'm going to have to live with it for a while. Any ideas as to what it is? Sometimes when I run through the Processes on CTRL+ALT+DEL, I delete something, and it goes away until I restart, so it's probably going to take me a while to get rid of the sound.

Also, any idea why my COA isn't working to Activate XP? I've checked a million times.

Second thing is, I lost my orignal program that watched my computer (Norton Personal Firewall + other random things that were incorporated in the program, like AntiVirus and SpamBlocker, AdBlocker, and SpyBlocker)

durrell
06-30-2006, 11:15 AM
What kind of sound is it? Like a beep noise coming from inside the computer? Or like a noise like the hard drive is messing up or what?

leed
06-30-2006, 11:42 AM
It's this ringing/chime noise. I don't know how to explain it.

Think about someone playing a xylophone, and going from low to high (just dragging it) really quickly. That's what is sounds like. It's not coming from the literal computer itself, it's playing through the speakers.

Paintball0308
06-30-2006, 11:44 AM
I think windows xp lets you use the serial # 3 times so you have to call to get a new serial # and activate it before 30. I found a way to activate it and use it without the code but I got a virus doing it so had to reinstall windows and do it again and this time no virus. but since you bought your computer go to activate it and call the representative instead it takes longer but its worth it.

Second thing is, I lost my orignal program that watched my computer (Norton Personal Firewall + other random things that were incorporated in the program, like AntiVirus and SpamBlocker, AdBlocker, and SpyBlocker)
unless you have it on a cd or something your gonna have to buy it. And windows is gay cause you have to buy it and it dosent come with it.

leed
06-30-2006, 11:52 AM
I think windows xp lets you use the serial # 3 times so you have to call to get a new serial # and activate it before 30. I found a way to activate it and use it without the code but I got a virus doing it so had to reinstall windows and do it again and this time no virus. but since you bought your computer go to activate it and call the representative instead it takes longer but its worth it.

Well this is the first time I've ever rebooted my computer. And that sucks...

unless you have it on a cd or something your gonna have to buy it. And windows is gay cause you have to buy it and it dosent come with it.

I have it on a CD, but it doesn't work either? Man, I'm getting a lot of problems lately..

DFSniper
06-30-2006, 12:31 PM
hmm, is it like the sound of the computer starting up? if you want to play around with it, try this:

open the control panel

go to "sounds and audo devices"

click on the "sounds" tab and then run through the Program Events sounds and see if you find it.

if you cant activate it, try to find someone with an XP Professional cd, those dont need any activation. if you cant find one PM me.

leed
06-30-2006, 12:35 PM
hmm, is it like the sound of the computer starting up? if you want to play around with it, try this:

open the control panel

go to "sounds and audo devices"

click on the "sounds" tab and then run through the Program Events sounds and see if you find it.

if you cant activate it, try to find someone with an XP Professional cd, those dont need any activation. if you cant find one PM me.

Really? My brother has XP Professional. Why doesn't it need activation?

And I just recorded the sound. So I'll cut it down and host it.

EDIT: And no, it's not the sound of the computer starting up. Once I get the file hosted, I'll post it.

leed
06-30-2006, 12:41 PM
Well I figured out what it is. It's from the driver of my Mouse Pad (Alps Pointing Device Driver) and it's called Easy Launcher On.

I'm going to look at the mouse properties if it's because of that.. I have no idea what Easy Launcher On is...

Well, I ended up just putting it to no sound. I have no idea what that is though, so I'm not going to mess with it. Thanks for the help fellas. I will look into using my brothers XP Professional once my activation time is over. So you don't need a COA at all? Not even when you put the disc in and such?

druid
06-30-2006, 03:14 PM
Doug is my annoying sound :dodgy:

leed
06-30-2006, 03:37 PM
Doug is my annoying sound :dodgy:

LOL, I thought Mike was... :dodgy:

Paintball0308
06-30-2006, 03:57 PM
I hate fixing computers but in the end its worth it. I spent 3 days fixing my computer once. that got me so mad I wanted to kill bill gates for owning the gayest company ever.

colonel_moo
06-30-2006, 04:01 PM
try reinstalling your audio drivers

druid
06-30-2006, 05:19 PM
LOL, I thought Mike was... :dodgy:

I don't talk to Mike on a nightly basis like I do with doug....

Hob Hayward
07-02-2006, 07:07 AM
Haha, well anyways, XP pro DOES require activation. What I'd say to do is call them, when I refomated my friends comp for him, it wouldn't activate normally, so he called them and it worked out fine. And you don't get to have 3 computers with the same key as someone said, just one.

Norton is a pile of crap, just to let you know. You'll do just as well with free programs like AVG , Adaware, and using FF over IE.

durrell
07-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Norton is a pile of crap, just to let you know. You'll do just as well with free programs like AVG , Adaware, and using FF over IE.

Truth. I'd go as far as to say Norton is one of the worst programs you can buy for your computer.

DFSniper
07-05-2006, 05:59 AM
Haha, well anyways, XP pro DOES require activation.

mine doesnt, and i've used it on at least 5 computers :nododgy: it comes really handy when youre constantly wiping your HDD too...