PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of the penny?

vikingshadow
06-30-2006, 06:21 AM
Well, what do you think? Should it stay or should it go? (http://www.yahoo.com/s/336986)

Victa_Balla
06-30-2006, 06:40 AM
I personaly think we should keep it...Lord knows i would have 100 years of bad luck if it werent for all those pennies ive found. AND what are we supposed to get back when something costs $1.07 and we give them a dollar and a dime?

DexGtr
06-30-2006, 07:00 AM
I personaly think we should keep it...Lord knows i would have 100 years of bad luck if it werent for all those pennies ive found. AND what are we supposed to get back when something costs $1.07 and we give them a dollar and a dime?

that's what i was thinking....

vikingshadow
06-30-2006, 07:02 AM
According to the video, nothing. If something cost 1.06 or 1.07, the stores should round down to 1.05. If it cost 1.08 or 1.09, they round up to 1.10. Seems that it would get bothersome after awhile.

I say they stop producing them for a couple years, until it becomes evident that we're running short of the pennies we have. Then make a run for a year or two.

ORRRR, welcome to the future! No more money at all, but everyone has a card with a number. Wait, isn't that in Revelations or something? I know I hardly use cash and hardly write a check anymore - it's all in the debit card.

claustrophobia9
06-30-2006, 07:04 AM
wow if only yahoo's site looked prettier and lagged up my computer while im running all sorts of things...

those people are just retarded... dont want the penny? there is a "leave a penny" bucket

Victa_Balla
06-30-2006, 07:18 AM
Or you could pull a star trek...No more money..Everyone just works to better themselves and the rest of humanity...::shrug::

claustrophobia9
06-30-2006, 07:23 AM
Or you could pull a star trek...No more money..Everyone just works to better themselves and the rest of humanity...::shrug::
a communist society with people still worrying about "i" and "me" is a failed ecomony because the one person who thinks of themselves takes advantage of the system and it fails. when people can understand that the "i" and "me" cant last forever like the "we" that society may be able to prosper.

in order to even make something like that you would need to create an exclusive community which raised kids outside of the standardized thought of self betterment, and would need to be a mix between a company and society.

ive thought about it before and its one of my life goals, hit me up on aim if you want to seriously talk about this.

marvin-martian
06-30-2006, 08:16 AM
i never use any coin under a quarter

claustrophobia9
06-30-2006, 08:38 AM
i would price everything to rip people off... $2.76.... mother ****er

colonel_moo
06-30-2006, 08:41 AM
i never use any coin under a quarter

you need quarters for some things (vending machines etc) so i save them. i toss the rest of my change in a jar and take it to coin star once a year.

claustrophobia9
06-30-2006, 08:49 AM
coin star fuses your coins into an alloy and is slowing building armor for the army of coinstars when they and the u-scans at kroger take over the world

WhatThaSmurf
06-30-2006, 09:09 AM
just remember everybody, k-fed supports the penny.

03TiburonGT
06-30-2006, 09:12 AM
just remember everybody, k-fed supports the penny.

...Yeah, if he wasnt married to Britney, he would need them.

I think that if the penny costs more to make than its worth, that it should be stopped being produced. Maybe if the cost of copper or zinc or w/e goes down to less than a penny, than we should start making it again.

WhatThaSmurf
06-30-2006, 09:14 AM
it won't go down, it will continue to inflate like everything else. but it kind of makes up for it. because none of our other tender (cash or coin) has its value in material in it.

claustrophobia9
06-30-2006, 09:38 AM
the penny will be like the yen... they even sound alike... penny and yen...ny...

and vike... i hate that song you refrenced with a passion, one it sucks... two they play it every day on a loop at kroger

bigred76
06-30-2006, 09:44 AM
Sucks for you Claus. I use pennies a lot... of course, there are a ton of the little sunza*****es out there and I always seem to get at least 2 every time I buy something from a store. Coinstar's good, but it charges you for every dollar you put in. Really kinda sucks, because here it's the same rate as the tax (8-9%).

TheRedBarron
06-30-2006, 09:50 AM
roll it and take it to a bank they dont charge you...

vikingshadow
06-30-2006, 09:58 AM
Hahaha! I just noticed what Claus was saying. I honestly didn't mean to reference that song (which I don't care for, either!)

Yeah, like RedBarron said, roll them and take them to the bank. They HAVE to take them! I did that a lot in college....

TheRedBarron
06-30-2006, 10:07 AM
I have one of those waterjugs we use in the office in my backroom, I put my spare change in that at the end of each day, when it is full I roll it and take it to the bank it goes into my daughters college fund. BTW when one of those is full of silver change it is rather heavy and is alot more money then one would think.

durrell
06-30-2006, 10:07 AM
I hardly ever use change..

claustrophobia9
06-30-2006, 10:15 AM
if you dont use it you get it. and coinstar will steal your money unless you get itunes or barnes cards

marvin-martian
06-30-2006, 10:51 AM
can you turn in barnes cards for cash?

MatthewTheTheif
06-30-2006, 11:07 AM
i thought about doing coinstar and getting an amazon card, can you pay for shipping out of that?

and hey, if k-fed supports it, its gotta be good....just like his rap :dodgy:

bigred76
06-30-2006, 11:15 AM
Yeah, Matt, you can.

At the Coinstar in Albertsons, I can get cash from the registers after I get a receipt from the machine.

thechubbss12
06-30-2006, 11:37 AM
a communist society with people still worrying about "i" and "me" is a failed ecomony because the one person who thinks of themselves takes advantage of the system and it fails. when people can understand that the "i" and "me" cant last forever like the "we" that society may be able to prosper.

in order to even make something like that you would need to create an exclusive community which raised kids outside of the standardized thought of self betterment, and would need to be a mix between a company and society.

ive thought about it before and its one of my life goals, hit me up on aim if you want to seriously talk about this.

Yo know i read a book that had that same idea as life... The name of the book was "Anthem" if you have ever read this book you would understand that if all we lived for was each other then we would only learn to resent that and begian a lomg and ugly down fall... People need thier "i" and "me" becasue without it we wouldnt exhist.

Getting rid of the penny.... i say we should keep it... it may loose value daily but it is still being used extensivly...

DFSniper
06-30-2006, 12:09 PM
over here they dont ship pennies from the states (except at the banks because when you exchange euros to dollars they have to give you the exact amount) and as far as i know, the only time ive ever heard anyone complain is because they cant flatten them on RR tracks (thats when they use euro coins instead)

ooglieboogliebob
06-30-2006, 12:50 PM
Yeah, Matt, you can.

At the Coinstar in Albertsons, I can get cash from the registers after I get a receipt from the machine.

Yep ... every coinstar i have give me the money from the register ....

BTW KEEP THE PENNY !!! .. that way dipsticks that don't like em can give them to me ;) ... everytime i save that money it adds up ...

leed
06-30-2006, 12:53 PM
So if we get rid of pennies.. I guess there won't be anymore $9,999.99 price tags. And no more 1 cent auctions. That blows. I use pennies more than nickels.

marvin-martian
06-30-2006, 01:36 PM
haha, i never thought of the $1.99 stuff

timmyshoota
06-30-2006, 04:40 PM
Yeah, Matt, you can.

Yes, but it takes a good chunk of it. And who knows how much of a chunk it takes out, since you don't know how much you put in there. I just goto the bank and get my change counted, they only take a small fee.

vikingshadow
06-30-2006, 04:51 PM
You can get one of those automated coin sorter that counts the change for you - like 12 bucks or so - and wraps it as well. Then you can take it to the bank and exchange it for free! At least around here, the banks do.

I'm torn on the issue. As was stated, the value of the coin isn't based on the material it's made with - it all boils down to the money in the federal reserve or Fort Knox, or where ever it's kept. I don't like the rounding thing - I can see it going against the consumer in the long run.

However, I'm not so sure that the penny is as useful as it once was - like back when you could actually buy something with a penny or two. How many of you remember when gumball machines actually took pennies, nickels and dimes - and very RARELY a quarter - and those were BIG things. I hate to say it, but I think it's outlived it's usefulness - like the Susan B Anthony dollar or the Buffalo nickel...

marvin-martian
06-30-2006, 05:12 PM
...so you pay for something so that you dont have to pay to cash your coins?

*edit* vike...youre old

scrappy
06-30-2006, 10:19 PM
Yes they should get rid of them:
A) it costs more than a penny to produce and supply material
B) it's bothersome
C) Military bases off the continent end all their prices with a 5 or 0...it hasn't messed them up yet.
D) if you can't round up or down to a 5 or 0, then you're not using that kindergarten math

too tired to think about this right now...

bigred76
06-30-2006, 11:50 PM
:jawdrop: It's Scrappy!

vikingshadow
07-01-2006, 05:25 AM
...so you pay for something so that you dont have to pay to cash your coins?

*edit* vike...youre old

**edit** edit again** Yes, I'm old. And with age comes knowledge, wisdom and common sense. Unfortunately, my reply didn't show much of that, as I felt it important to argue with a teenager about it, so I edited it. I guess my patience for bull-**** is getting really limited this summer. Now, that being said, I'm through with this. However, in future posts, I would strongly suggest the :dodgy:, the j/k'ing, [sarcasm], <3 or whatever else there is to indicate joking or playing around since it's very hard to determine it on the "intarweb."

Otherwise, a moderator (possibly someone else, as my skills in this area have recently come into question :dodgy: <-- see? Works great!) might be tempted to think that there were flames, trolling and/or spamming involved. We all know there's a forum down the street that LOVES that sort of thing so if anyone feels the need to do that, feel free to visit their establishment for awhile to get it out of your system! I do, and it feels great!

Back to topic - What I should have clarified in my last post is that I have a problem with paying banks for services such as those. Banks already make a lot of money on the money you give them to hold in your accounts, they invest said money and those make money off your own money, without having to charge other fees on top of it. So I'm opposed to their application of service charges, check charges, handling fees, and so on. In my opinion, the machine pays for itself after awhile. It was just a suggestion anyways. Take it or leave it...

Hob Hayward
07-01-2006, 06:39 AM
Intarweb*

I throw pennies away...

xtraking
07-01-2006, 07:30 AM
they should make it worth 2 cents

MatthewTheTheif
07-01-2006, 09:08 AM
i think that sales tax should be such that whatever something is priced, it should come up as a 5 or 0, that way you dont need the penny.

just like the military bases

DFSniper
07-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Yes they should get rid of them:
C) Military bases off the continent end all their prices with a 5 or 0
most of the time.
...it hasn't messed them up yet.

thats what i was trying to point out.

xtraking
07-01-2006, 09:29 AM
what about those machines where you put 50 cents then a penny in, you crank the wheel and you get a souvenir penny. What will happen to them1?!!?!

marvin-martian
07-01-2006, 09:50 AM
im sorry vike. i still love you.

vikingshadow
07-01-2006, 09:53 AM
I know! ;) I love you, too, but in a straight, heterosexual, handshake, drinking a beer around the barbecue way....:D

WhatThaSmurf
07-01-2006, 12:34 PM
I throw pennies away...
I throw pennies into fountains...

DFSniper
07-01-2006, 01:16 PM
what about those machines where you put 50 cents then a penny in, you crank the wheel and you get a souvenir penny. What will happen to them1?!!?!

um, throw in a nickel?? or a dime??

bigred76
07-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Vike, please don't hurt me. :crazy: J/k, but you have a good point...

I personally don't see why we'd get rid of the little buggers. They're the base of our monetary system. Without them, what would be the simplest form of our money? The numerical system, dispite common belief, starts with 0, and the next number is ONE. There is a reason for that. It might be in different places that there are prices rounded to the nearest fifth, but this is how we've been for the last 80 or so years, and this monetary system has worked the best of all so far, so why change it?