PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito ringtone..freaking sweet.

durrell
06-20-2006, 03:45 PM
http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F20712FC38550C718DDDAF0894DE4044 82

http://www.jetcityorange.com/toys/17KHz.wav

Ares
06-20-2006, 03:47 PM
can adults really not hear that? it hurts my ears lol

durrell
06-20-2006, 04:54 PM
can adults really not hear that? it hurts my ears lol

Me and my little brother can, parents were like "When are you going to play it?" lol

marvin-martian
06-20-2006, 04:57 PM
i cant hear it!!!

UKwithPride
06-20-2006, 05:02 PM
i cant hear it!!!
Lol, I'm surprised I can hear it. I mean, I stand 2 feet away from the speakers at concerts.

marvin-martian
06-20-2006, 05:05 PM
i can hear it now!! i just had to turn it up further.

ShadowX
06-20-2006, 05:06 PM
It would be so awesome because, if you had that ringtone, Then in Class, You wouldn't have to turn your phone off.. Lol, It would ring and the teacher's wouldn't hear it.. Lol!

Muddytaco
06-20-2006, 05:14 PM
If somebody had that in class and it went off all the time i would be pissed, it hurts my ears. If you don't want anybody to hear it put it in your pocket and turn it on vibrate.

marvin-martian
06-20-2006, 05:16 PM
If somebody had that in class and it went off all the time i would be pissed, it hurts my ears. If you don't want anybody to hear it put it in your pocket and turn it on vibrate.
i hear peoples phones like that all the time and i laugh at them when the teacher notices.

WhatThaSmurf
06-20-2006, 05:25 PM
My ears! MY EARS! But then again, my dad couldn't hear it from about 5 feet away.

claustrophobia9
06-20-2006, 05:51 PM
if you turn it up to much, itll reverberate and the reverberations/echos will be at a lower pitch (almost started that word with a b by habit) and youll be able to heat it. i had it on 2/5 bars on my comp and my mom couldnt hear it and i could, i cranked it and she heard it. amazing...

vikingshadow
06-20-2006, 05:55 PM
I couldn't hear it, but then neither could my youngest daughter. I turned it WAY up also!

I'm actually a little worried about it - I was reading about an online hearing test and couldn't hear anything above 11,000 decibals - granted, it was noisy in the house and my kids were complaining about the sounds - but in my misspent youth, I spent a lot of time listening to my Walkman (hows that for putting a date on me???) extremely loud to the wonderful 80's hair metal and heavy metal, went to a LOT of concerts and now I listen to my Ipod the same way...I also worked around a lot of heavy equipment before OSHA required ear protection....it's no wonder I can't hear a thing!

03TiburonGT
06-20-2006, 06:06 PM
I can hear it, and gahd it hurts. My dad and mom couldn't hear it, but my biology teacher (28ish) could hear it.

claustrophobia9
06-20-2006, 06:12 PM
I'm actually a little worried about it - I was reading about an online hearing test and couldn't hear anything above 11,000 decibalsu sure you mean decibles... i doubt your computer can deliver that much... i dont think you would have a problem hearing it either... maybe you mean hertz ?

vikingshadow
06-20-2006, 06:14 PM
u sure you mean decibles...

Actually, I meant decibels...at least according to Dictionary.com.

It could be my computer or speakers can't reach that level - but my kids were hearing a lot of the levels much better than I was...

Nader
06-20-2006, 06:25 PM
hehe, my dad didn't believe me, he thought I was joshing him.....hah!

And I got a headache.....ow.

claustrophobia9
06-21-2006, 04:40 AM
Actually, I meant decibels...at least according to Dictionary.com.

It could be my computer or speakers can't reach that level - but my kids were hearing a lot of the levels much better than I was...
are you positive? decibles is a mesurement of intensity, meaning that something of 11000(whatever your number was) would be extrodinarily loud. also you may mean pascals/micropascals which is a similar unit used to describe the pressure required to activate ones eardrum.

dB(SPL)

dB(Sound Pressure Level) — relative to 20 micropascals (μPa) = 2×10−5 Pa, the quietest sound a human can hear.[1] This is roughly the sound of a mosquito flying 3 metres away. This is often abbreviated to just "dB", which gives some the erroneous notion that "dB" is an absolute unit by itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel#Acoustics
if you'll look at the chart... a decible is actually alot. 10 is about a human breathing at 3m then 168 is an m1 garand 1meter away... so 11000 would be extremly intense... besides. 194 is the theoretical limit in the earths atmosphere.

im just trying to clear this up, not neccessarily correct you, ive never heard of someone using a high decible and saying they CANT hear it.

and dictionary.com said the same thing, power or intensity

vikingshadow
06-21-2006, 05:01 AM
I thought you were talking about the SPELLING of the word - not the definition....I'm not an audiologist or whatever their called. I haven't got a clue as to what they're called....

claustrophobia9
06-21-2006, 05:41 AM
I thought you were talking about the SPELLING of the word - not the definition....I'm not an audiologist or whatever their called. I haven't got a clue as to what they're called....
oh ok... well if you meant frequncy its probibly hertz, the mosquito thing if 17kHz

ooglieboogliebob
06-21-2006, 09:22 AM
hmm... i just heard it now ... it's making my ears ring ... oh h/o thats the sound ... "doh" .... mom could hear it .. but my dad couldn't ... maybe it's that 5 year difference

leed
06-21-2006, 09:30 AM
I'll have to try that on my parents some time... But you know what I bet it is.. a mosquito lure... BAD! I absolutely hate mosquitoes.

Anyways, on the topic of this, aside from both my parents just plain having bad hearing, our old tv (a standard CRT, bulb screen, unfiltered) whenever it was on (even if nothing was on, AKA black screen from video input, that's not there) it would have this super high pitch whine that my parents couldn't hear. Maybe that's like it. Our new TV has a filter on it, so it doesn't have that. Or is my hearing just getting worse.

I wonder how this works with babies. Matt? What do you think?

ooglieboogliebob
06-21-2006, 10:05 AM
haha ... QFT ... my TV does that sometimes ... partly broken :p ... high pitched sound that gets annoying so i havta turn it off ... my sis could hear it ... but not my parents ....

nbishop66
06-21-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm hoping my work computers internal speaker can't reproduce that frequency, because I can't hear it. I'll have to try it at home with the Harman Kardons.

marvin-martian
06-21-2006, 11:06 AM
it makes my ears feel like theyre going to pop

phatphil
06-21-2006, 01:28 PM
I can hear it, but my mom can't that's weird. I'm not sure how my (crappy) cell phone would play it though.

killerpinecone
06-21-2006, 01:36 PM
me and my brother heard it fine, my mom and dad couldnt, my dog could hear it fine, she was titlting hear head at the speakers, (confused)