PDA

View Full Version : Question: Striker Bolt Plug

Darkh2o
06-20-2006, 03:26 AM
I've been reading the forums for a few weeks now, while waiting for my new Pilot to arrive. I got it last night and I really like it alot (not that I took it to bed with me:p ). But I do have a question about the Striker Bolt Plug on the back of the gun. On the old Pilot, the plug covered the striker bolt as well asthe bolt. On my new Pilot, the plug only covers the striker bolt. Why is that? Does the back of the bolt have to be exposed? I also own a TL-X that uses the same plug as the old Pilot. Since the parts between the Pilot and the TL-X are pretty much all interchangable, can I use the plug from the TL-X without damaging the Pilot?

BTW, I've been "breaking in" (by hand) the ACS bolt now for 12 hours, is that long enough?;) :D

Thanks in advance.

Sandman_Bravo
06-20-2006, 03:48 AM
I haven't seen those yet, could you post a pic? If I had to guess, I'd say it's due to the bolt travelling too far back and breaking the cap off. They prolly did away with that portion.

Darkh2o
06-20-2006, 04:00 AM
I'll have to take a pic at lunch showing the difference and post it. I'm at work right now...working REAL hard! I think the bolt travels the same distance in the TL-X as it does in the Pilot, I'll have to check that out.

Since the Pilot comes with the plug NOT covering the end of the bolt, do you have to worry about dirt and debris getting inside?

Sandman_Bravo
06-20-2006, 04:22 AM
http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=2460

Darkh2o
06-20-2006, 04:46 AM
Thanks Sandman! That link is exactly what I was talking about. I'll use the stock plug on the Pilot and leave the TL-X plug where it is...on the TL-X!:)

Sandman_Bravo
06-20-2006, 07:28 AM
You're welcome. Don't overlook the search button feature here, it's kind of a pet peave among the regulars. Good luck, man.

Darkh2o
06-20-2006, 08:59 AM
Sorry Sandman about not searching thoroughly. I looked, but apparently not hard enough. I can see it getting pretty old if the same question was asked over and over.

Darkh2o leans over to Sandman and sarcastically whispers...My new gun keeps chopping balls, is there something wrong with the bolt?:D

Sandman_Bravo
06-20-2006, 11:06 AM
If you're serious about the ACS chopping balls, here you go...
It seems that some feel that the ACS bolt's internal spring needs to be "broken-in". If it were the correct tension from the factory, after some time it would be too soft. It has been recommended that you insert a rag or soft dowel in the feedneck and dry fire the gun with a full co2 bottle until empty, thusly breaking in the ACS bolt. Also, some have suggested that the same can be accomplished by removing the bolt from the marker and manually depressing it repeatedly for around an hour. It kind of makes you wonder about the valve and main spring, huh? It also bears mentioning that there are other factors that can contribute to ball chopping, such as correct hopper, ball to barrel size, and operating pressure/blowback. They are all part of the equation.
The best thing to do is delve into the "Paintball Bible" and get a good understanding as to how your marker works.
Virtually all questions can be answered by the Painball Bible:

http://www.ottersccustoms.com/index.html

Good luck, & cheers!

Darkh2o
06-21-2006, 10:24 AM
I talked with Kingman technical support and they confirmed with what Sandman had stated: If I had to guess, I'd say it's due to the bolt travelling too far back and breaking the cap off. They prolly did away with that portion.

They said that the new plug (part #28I) on the back of the pilot is NOT suppose to cover the back of the bolt. So, if you have a plug (part #23FA) which covers the back of the bolt, you might want to call Kingman and get a new plug so you don't have it break off and fly at your face like it did to Sandman.

Thanks Sandman.:)