PDA

View Full Version : why do I need a 500.00 to 100,000.00 doller marker

TStites
06-19-2006, 05:21 AM
I have a Spyder Xtra, I us compressed air, and upgraded the barrel to a 14" CP barrel. the gun shoots as accurate as I can aim, and fires as fast as I can pull the trigger, with out chopping any balls, the first time I used it I fired it with CO2 I fired so fast that the Gun had ICE crystals all over it, the question is if I can hit any thing I am at and the gun can fire as fast as I can pull the trigger with out chopping any balls. Why do I need a more expensive gun to compete? Is there something I'm missing? The only thing I see that may need changed is the trigger so I can fire faster, because the trigger does have a big dead zone (the distances you have to pull before fire) do I really need a 500.00 to a 100,000.00 dollar marker or did spyder make a great cheap gun.

OK for every one that had something helpful to say thanks. for every one ells get some game and then you will not have to rag on the noobies in the Forum. I just bought a Electra 06. its not the 500 or 1000 dollar gun, but I am a noobie would not want to over do it. but for you pros out there it is a sweet gun you should try it out. tried the ION but I like my old gun so I thought I would stay with Kingman.

Ace24
06-19-2006, 05:25 AM
You really dont. Take the ION for example. Its all bang for your buck. All you have to do, is like you said, upgrade it. An E-trigger would solve your faster shooting issue, but then you would have to get a better hopper too.

Shooting so fast you get ice chrystals is easy with CO2. Especially if you play woods ball when its cool out. ( I learned from first hand experience that shooting 12bps and spraying ropes to get multi guys isnt always the best solution. *ice chrystalising tore apart my bolt o-rings*)

vikingshadow
06-19-2006, 05:48 AM
Welcome to the forums!

This topic has been covered multiple times and in many forms - and quite a bit in the last week or two. To stop this from getting into another one of THOSE threads, please check around.

Let's keep this to a civilized DEBATE and not turn this into a "I think (insert gun here) is the ROXORS and those idiots spending 1000.00's of dollars are idiots"' or "You're a noob because you bought (insert gun here) and you think that" thread...K?

Enjoy!

UKwithPride
06-19-2006, 06:08 AM
Woooo, we should just delete this now. LoL

ShadowX
06-19-2006, 06:10 AM
Someone has obvisously never shot a High-End marker.. Lol..

marvin-martian
06-19-2006, 07:06 AM
go shoot one and report back to us...

Chris Cole
06-19-2006, 02:21 PM
I have almost as much into the various incarnations of my Spyder as I do into my Impulse. Spyders are great markers, my Imp is better. Depending on your level/style of play, you can be happy with almost any marker. There comes a point though, where you need to step up a notch. By the time you buy an "entry level" marker and add everything you want to it the outlay of cash is not that different.

Do you have to have a high dollar marker? No. Can you tell the difference? Yes.

Sandman_Bravo
06-19-2006, 02:32 PM
I like chris' profile location. Cool, wish I'd thought of it.

Hossy
06-19-2006, 02:35 PM

yeah, instantly your gonna think that wow, this spyder is a piece of (insert profanity here). *turns around* mom, dad, can i have it?

UKwithPride
06-19-2006, 02:43 PM
Rrroger that, sir.

Slammed0
06-19-2006, 03:15 PM
Ya I have never shot any high end guns eithier. But like him my Spyder just shoots so damn well right now I don't see any reason not to enjoy it.

Chris Cole
06-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Ya I have never shot any high end guns eithier. But like him my Spyder just shoots so damn well right now I don't see any reason not to enjoy it.

That's what I thought until I was lucky enough to shoot one of the original 15 Texas Storm Timmies. If I'd had the money right then I'd own that bad boy.

claustrophobia9
06-19-2006, 06:02 PM
i dont even remeber the first time i went from a black maxx to an imp for a day (some dude let me borrow it while we played)... cuz i was in a state of euphoria(*sp) the gap between them is amazing... honestly i wish Bad company would try some... or maybe make some... ever.... :dodgy:

TStites
06-19-2006, 07:54 PM
I'm a noobe the reason I ask the question is the guys that have the Ions and autockers at the field I play at are dieing by inferior spyder. I guess I need to find a field with better players, because those expensive guns are not doing anything for the people using them. Or maybe I have a gift and donít need a 500.00 dollar gun to win.

because I am a noobe and have not had the honor of shooting one can you tell me with out being stupid what edvantages there is in buying a high end marker then upgradeing the one I have. I know it will cost me the same or more, but I don't have 500 to spend on the marker I want, so can I make this marker into a turny marker or will I end up replacing the hole gun. I don't see how the gun is gone to get any more acurrate than it is now and the shots are pretty consistant since I switched to compressed air, but I am not shooting 30 balls a second, but do you to win. I am new and if this is a dumb question then sorry but I just want to know if I am wasting my money fixing this gun up or can upgrade it enough so it will be a decent tourny marker

druid
06-20-2006, 02:21 AM
High end guns are made to greater tolerences with above standard parts and materials. Their operations {noids/pneu's) are also more intricate and detailed. They spent the time to R & D what's better, whereas others refuse to.
They are also rich enough to swamp the market with advertising - both in media and with sponsored teams. Media blitzes do wonders and increase the sales. Liken it to a Nike comercial versus...Converse.
They also take the time to think out custom milling and anno schemes that are expensive in their own right.
Are they better? That's subjective to the person. In the hands of a noob...an 07 Borg is like a spyder and in the hands of seasoned players, a PGP os like an A/C Sniper (talking about skill+experience vs quality of product...that's not really my point).
Product quality is always a great selling point but my assertation is that there has to be skill there (in the game and with the product) to get the job done. Of course the quality of the product will help even the noob get better but it's more player than just the gun.

And then there's 'status.' Having a brand name gun/gear inflates egos and attitudes and is used as an intimidating factor against someone with a lesser quality marker (Although...it never bothered me).

The A5 is a Tippman. When upgraded with an EGrip/was or APE board spits out paint like the best of them...but it's a Tippman. Does it make it less of a gun, even though it can accurately spit out 25 bps? That's faster than a stock ESP frame...faster than a stock A/C...is it better than them?...you have to decide....

davidthegr8
06-23-2006, 06:15 AM
lol i got to shoot an ego the other day and i thought i was in heaven...

Ace24
06-23-2006, 06:55 AM
Sometimes shooting more balls faster isnt the solution. I have learned (from being poor) that spraying ropes of up to 20 bps isnt a good idea. All you do is make designs on the back walls and bunkers. I personally dont care if I shoot faster, I am more about getting them with the first 2 or 3 balls I shoot. Some people call me a newb for doing it that way, but I tell them, "Why waste the paint, when I can do the same thing you just did to a guy in 3 shots that you did in 30."

Once again, the marker doesnt make the player... the player makes the marker. Markers cant do anything on their own without someone behind them, and if that person is skilled enough, they can use the lower end guns and people will fear them. But then when they ask what gun the person used, they will be shocked and in disbelief when the person tells them that its a lower end Spyder, or Tippman.

It all depends on personal preference. The higher end guns WILL shoot better out of the box, but they are usually pretty expencive to upgrade. Spyders are one of the best guns to start off with IMO, and they are cheap enough to upgrade that if you want to up them while getting the hang of the game, you can without breaking your wallet.

ShadowX
06-23-2006, 06:58 AM
Ace, Who said that people buy 500 dollar Marker's just so they can shoot 20 BPS?? Hmm..

claustrophobia9
06-23-2006, 06:58 AM
expensive markers get rid of wrinkles

xtraking
06-23-2006, 07:07 AM
*crkkk*thats a big 10-4 sheriff, over*crkkk*

xtraking
06-23-2006, 07:08 AM
Ace, Who said that people buy 500 dollar Marker's just so they can shoot 20 BPS?? Hmm..
they dont, but one of the first things they ask/say abotu the guy is, Is it fast? or OMG ITS SOOO FAST!

Ace24
06-23-2006, 07:09 AM
I didnt say that. I said that I can only shoot 20 bps lol. I was saying there was no need for me to shoot that fast on my gun. I wasnt saying that for the upper level guns.

Sandman_Bravo
06-27-2006, 05:04 PM
I shot a DM5 today and was impressed, but I can't justify a 500-700 price tag when my Spyder shoots almost as smoothly. I will eventually get a higher end marker and pass my Pilot to my kids. I really don't care for the looks of any of the higher priced guns anyway except the Hybucci Shocker. When I was in my teens and twenties I raced moto-cross and there were a lot of posers who showed up every Sunday with the latest gear, just to get beat by us farmer hicks. Get my drift?

TheRedBarron
06-27-2006, 06:53 PM
lol i got to shoot an ego the other day and i thought i was in heaven...
Thats because you were... right shunut ;)

Spinal
06-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Io I really need a 500.00 to a 100,000.00 dollar marker
do you have any idea what you just typed? lol, and to answer the question if you play recball, probably not.

splaturout
06-30-2006, 05:40 PM
So is this thread here to start arguments about who has the biggest...you know what I am saying. Does anyone need a car that goes 150 mph (200kph) if you are going to drive to and from work? You get what you need to make you happy and play your game. I spent a grand total of $200 on all my crappy stuff but I bet I have just as much fun playing with my friends as anyone with a "$100,000.00" marker. Just get what you need and forget what everyone else says is right.

marvin-martian
06-30-2006, 05:52 PM
your car metaphor is flawed. nobody ever reaches their cars top speed, nor do they cap out their marker in an actual game. a better metaphor with cars would be: "why is a mercedes better than an integra (go away chris)? they can both reach x speed." the answer is because of the quality parts and feel of the benz.

leed
06-30-2006, 06:57 PM
nobody ever reaches their cars top speed, nor do they cap out their marker in an actual game.

That's entirely false. I'm not going to say why, it just is. :D

Actually.. Nevermind, I will.

And cars with Inline 2's are easily maxed out (not many of these around anymore). Go-Karts too, LOL. What really matters about a car, is wether or not it gets you from Point A to point B. The comparison that should be made, is HOW you get there. Wether it be speed, comfort, sound, etc etc.

The Old Shocker Sport Turbo is only physically capable of firing up to 12-13BPS.

marvin-martian
06-30-2006, 07:02 PM
whys it false? because the board limits it to 15bps in psp? with a differant mode on the board, its capable of achieving much higher speeds. thats like saying the speed limit is your cars top speed...

splaturout
06-30-2006, 07:13 PM
I am sooooo sorry that my metaphor was not what you wanted to read, but my point still stands....Get what suits your need best. Otherwise nobody should ever do anything unless they have the best and spend the most money to get it done. Once again this is not a pissing contest.

TStites
07-05-2006, 08:16 PM
[QUOTE=marvin-martian]your car metaphor is flawed. nobody ever reaches their cars top speed, you should not speak about other peoples driving habits just because you have not interest in finding out how fast your care will go or how fast it wont go does not mean that is the way every one ells is I have toped out every car I have owed my parents have owned and a lot of my friends cars. I love to drive fast, but safely

marvin-martian
07-05-2006, 09:27 PM
...wow...punctuation ftw. seriously, that is one incoherant post.

after reading it my third time, i think i understand you. youre mad at me for you being a minority, and thus an exeption to my statement. anyway, i hope you dont do this on actual roads where it would be dangerous...

TStites
07-06-2006, 04:39 AM
I do not drive like that when the roads are crowded, only when there are no cars to be seen, and cops. Well I would talk more about this, but this forum is not about driving cars it is about paintball. I canít wait till my new Electra with eyes shows up. The manager at my local Paintball store let me dry fire a couple of the guns, and you can tell a big difference. The one thing I liked about the ION is the fact that is does not move when you shoot it. I went with the Electra for a couple of reasons. The first reason is I really like my Extra; it was extremely accurate right out of the box, especially with compressed air. It fires very nicely on both compressed air, and CO2. I can take it apart and put it back to gather fast. Last I have not seen one at any of the fields I play. Mostly you see IONs and autocockers. I have learned one thing since I started playing this game is Addictive and expensive.

Ace24
07-06-2006, 10:11 AM
I have a 1987 Mitsubishi Starion Turbo... that car is amazing for drifting... Its a rally car legeond.

Modded-Like-Hell
07-06-2006, 11:31 AM
My dad has that car. He bought it with a bigger turbo, an aftermarket filter and exhaust. that was like 10 years ago. that car still works.

i believe that it doesnt matter what type of gun it is, as long as you have fun thats all that matters.

Canadian725Xx
07-06-2006, 04:20 PM
i believe that it doesnt matter what type of gun it is, as long as you have fun thats all that matters.

This is your ultimate awnser props man

lewizz124
07-06-2006, 05:36 PM
you dont need one that costs $550+, unless your insecure.

scat
07-06-2006, 07:29 PM
ok tstites in my opinion I have shot several different guns I am a noobat speed ball but a woods ball vet in my opinion a high end marker is good to a point but in my case I have my spyder rodeo and honetsly with the few upgrades I have on it not I can compete with any angel out there on rate of fire and no balls chopping my buddie hates the fact that I sold him my old angel bought a rodeo and put a few upgrades on it and it fires just as good and accurate as the angel but like alot of people said the reason for a high end marker is the fact that you buy the upgrades on them from the factory and you adjust yourself to the gun that is why they are so damn expensive and for all you vets out there with your angels and everything I still have another one that I do use because I dont have a tourney lock on my rodeo like the angel has but that will soon be fixed with a xsf board w/ eyes well lata all scat

TheRedBarron
07-06-2006, 07:41 PM
shens.

lewizz124
07-06-2006, 09:33 PM
you dont NEED one. not saying it wouldnt be nice. :D

druid
07-07-2006, 01:15 AM

I'd like to amend this to say...

you don't need one unless your sponsorship calls for it
or
you don't need one unless you are shallow and need to impress your friends or to feel better about yourself
or
you don't need one unless you are too meek/timid to put up with the ridicule of owning a 'lesser' gun
or
you don't need one unless you want one

one of them should just about cover everyone and their reason for owning/wanting one...

vikingshadow
07-07-2006, 04:45 AM
ok tstites in my opinion I have shot several different guns I am a noobat speed ball but a woods ball vet in my opinion a high end marker is good to a point but in my case I have my spyder rodeo and honetsly with the few upgrades I have on it not I can compete with any angel out there on rate of fire and no balls chopping my buddie hates the fact that I sold him my old angel bought a rodeo and put a few upgrades on it and it fires just as good and accurate as the angel but like alot of people said the reason for a high end marker is the fact that you buy the upgrades on them from the factory and you adjust yourself to the gun that is why they are so damn expensive and for all you vets out there with your angels and everything I still have another one that I do use because I dont have a tourney lock on my rodeo like the angel has but that will soon be fixed with a xsf board w/ eyes well lata all scat

Oh my lord! This is what I tell my students - take a breath and read this without stopping. If you have to stop, put a period or a comma in there! Sheesh! I got tired just TRYING to read it..;)

TStites
07-07-2006, 04:54 AM
Thanks for the grammer lesson I still enjoyed the post, even with out periods.

vikingshadow
07-07-2006, 05:03 AM
Thanks for the grammer lesson I still enjoyed the post, even with out periods.

Hmm, not giving a lesson, but I could. I figured it was nicer than what I had to say about what he posted.

TStites
07-07-2006, 05:25 AM
Just giving you a hard time my grammar is terrible and my wife and boss give me a hard time about my grammar. I us Microsoft word and run spell and grammar check then cut and past, and a lot of times I still have mistakes.

vikingshadow
07-07-2006, 05:28 AM
That's ok, I must have woke up wrong this morning.

I usually don't care about another person's grammar and spelling here, but that post made me even more tired trying to decipher it. I had posted a long paragraph about why "Spyder/clone are the same as high end gun" arguments always come down to being compared to Angels, but decided it wasn't worth it because it's all been said in this thread and a million others so I just deleted it all.

I'll play nice the rest of the day!

bamf-hacker
07-07-2006, 05:33 AM
I'll play nice the rest of the day!

Or at least until the next bad post right :)

and back on topic...

You don't "NEED" any $$ marker. We want them and that is why we get them. In theory, you could go onto the field with just a barrel that fits your paintballs and use it as a blow gun. :) And I would bet that if you are good you would still mark people out...

HacKeR

vikingshadow
07-07-2006, 06:10 AM
Or at least until the next bad post right :)

and back on topic...

You don't "NEED" any $$ marker. We want them and that is why we get them. In theory, you could go onto the field with just a barrel that fits your paintballs and use it as a blow gun. :) And I would bet that if you are good you would still mark people out...

HacKeR

LOL! That's absolutely correct. While we're arguing about the levels of paintball markers, pump players are laughing at us...

Little secret - I'm gonna be gone until later this evening....so I have to play nice!

Ace24
07-07-2006, 08:03 AM
Oh my lord! This is what I tell my students - take a breath and read this without stopping. If you have to stop, put a period or a comma in there! Sheesh! I got tired just TRYING to read it..;)

Kudos... hahaha.

Vike, I am guessing that your an english major. Either that or you spell correctly, use proper grammer, and make sure it's clear what you typed just for the hell of it.

My mom is an english major, so I grew up with proper grammer and high reading comprehension. Although I still can't spell.

lewizz124
07-07-2006, 10:16 AM
I'd like to amend this to say...

you don't need one unless your sponsorship calls for it
or
you don't need one unless you are shallow and need to impress your friends or to feel better about yourself
or
you don't need one unless you are too meek/timid to put up with the ridicule of owning a 'lesser' gun
or
you don't need one unless you want one

one of them should just about cover everyone and their reason for owning/wanting one...

thank you for defining my statement a little, thats exactly what i was saying.

marvin-martian
07-07-2006, 10:20 AM
Kudos... hahaha.

Vike, I am guessing that your an english major. Either that or you spell correctly, use proper grammer, and make sure it's clear what you typed just for the hell of it.

My mom is an english major, so I grew up with proper grammer and high reading comprehension. Although I still can't spell.

hes a 5th grade english teacher

vikingshadow
07-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Yes sir, and the powers that be prefer us to know a bit about what we're teaching. Dang administration!

Before I was a teacher though, I was a reporter for a local newspaper for a couple years, and then an analyst for a HUGE insurance company - both required a lot of writing and grammar. I've basically been at a keyboard typing things for the public for, well, probably longer than most of you guys have been alive!

(I'm also blossoming into my next step which is a full blown author. Once I can get settled down to continue writing, that is.)

marvin-martian
07-07-2006, 07:56 PM
vike, im really interested in reading your stuff, so settle down and continue writing faster.