PDA

View Full Version : Getting back in

xNinja-Dolphinx
06-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Well after a break from the sport, I think I have decided to get back in. I've just turned to the lighter side and want to go pump now, seeing as how my reason for quitting was it cost way to much to go and shoot a case a day. Now right now im looking to have maybe $100 or less wrapped up in gear and the only gear i need is a mask and marker. I can get a used pair of Profilers for 40-50 which will leave me with 50-60 for a pump. Which is the best pump in this price range? I have also have no problem buying used or new.

timmyshoota
06-18-2006, 10:59 AM
Your best bet IMO would be a Hornet/Maverick/Trracer. You could also find a Hammer in that price easy, but I'm not a fan of them. I'm sure plenty of people here are though.

colonel_moo
06-18-2006, 11:29 AM
i just bought an SL-68 for 58 shipped, and it is a really solid gun. but all pump guns are pretty much the same, they are all based on the nelson design, so you'd be pretty safe with any of them.

QAZ123
06-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Yeah what Timmy said pretty much.

Don't you live in Fort Wayne, IN? If so there's a big group of pump player's in that are. Get on SCP and talk to one of the mod's named Chemical X he's in that part and can probably hook you up with a lot of different pump's. Once you find one you like go from there.

JB.

timmyshoota
06-18-2006, 11:38 AM
i just bought an SL-68 for 58 shipped, and it is a really solid gun. but all pump guns are pretty much the same, they are all based on the nelson design, so you'd be pretty safe with any of them.
Yeah, it just boils down the the quality of the marker. There I can't help you, but I'm sure Tiger Dave or QAZ can.

Hossy
06-18-2006, 11:39 AM
Brass Eagle Talons work amazingly well :dodgy:

SL-68 is the way to go IMO
i just sold one of them for 60 bucks if u woulda said something a couple of days ago, i woulda let you have it...

xNinja-Dolphinx
06-18-2006, 02:59 PM
Yeah what Timmy said pretty much.

Don't you live in Fort Wayne, IN? If so there's a big group of pump player's in that are. Get on SCP and talk to one of the mod's named Chemical X he's in that part and can probably hook you up with a lot of different pump's. Once you find one you like go from there.

JB.
Well Ft. Wayne is like 2 hours away... but I'll talk to him anyways

vikingshadow
06-18-2006, 03:17 PM
Check eBay and type stock class or pump in the search bar. You can find all kinds of deals in there on pump markers...

Is it me, or are there a LOT of people switching to pump this year for pretty much all the same reasons?

QAZ123
06-18-2006, 03:23 PM
Is it me, or are there a LOT of people switching to pump this year for pretty much all the same reasons?

No it's just a bunch of people switching for the same reason lol. It's a part time job replying to people's pm's on here, scp and myspace for me lol!

I think it's because it's a uniqueness also. Ya know if you got a high end marker and gear your agg and if you have a pump your unique or something but if you are on a budget with a budget semi your just the norm.. I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say right now.. I have it in my head what I'm trying to say just can't type it to make sense. :confused:

But yeah talk to Chem dolphin I know they play all over the place up there maybe closer than you think.

JB.

vikingshadow
06-18-2006, 03:27 PM
LOL! I guess I understand what you're saying. I personally got into it for something different and challenging that would make me enjoy the game again. So far, it's doing a good job - it sure is tough, though!

I just hope that I get good enough with it that people will want to switch to pump around here and I won't be the only one anymore...I also want to be known as "the pump guy" at our field. That'd be kinda cool!

QAZ123
06-18-2006, 03:38 PM
LOL! I guess I understand what you're saying. I personally got into it for something different and challenging that would make me enjoy the game again. So far, it's doing a good job - it sure is tough, though!

I just hope that I get good enough with it that people will want to switch to pump around here and I won't be the only one anymore...I also want to be known as "the pump guy" at our field. That'd be kinda cool!

Yeah it's sometimes frustrating but when you do good it outweigh's the bad and is more rewarding imo.

Don't fret it'll happen. I remember this time last year I was the only pump player and now I promote/play in a series in Indiana which hopefully by next year will be a lot bigger. It just takes a little time.

JB.

timmyshoota
06-18-2006, 07:50 PM
no it doesn't...it's the skill
The skill of the player has jack didilly to do with how well the marker was made. If you put two nelson based pumps side by side, they will operate the same and be generally the same. But if one is made better than the other its gonna be a better marker. The other one will have problems because of its lesser quality. I have no idea where you got the idea I was saying the marker will make you better.

timmyshoota
06-18-2006, 08:54 PM
You are bringing up a totally mute point. No where in this topic did the players skill get brought up. It was a topic about markers. NOT about ANYTHING to do with skill. You don't want something thats lesser in quality and will run you into more problems, no matter how good you are at maintaining markers.

I have no idea where in the hell you pulled the skill from. It was nowhere in this thread. No one ever said ANYTHING about a marker making you a better player.

bigred76
06-18-2006, 09:34 PM
*sigh* Skill wasn't brought up. Quality of the marker is everything in the $40-55 range. You can pick up a Brass Eagle or Diablo pump that will break like no other, a pump that will last forever (SL68), or one in between. THAT is what this is about, not the skill. If you want to bring that up, please don't do it here as it is not the right time. Thanks. :)

timmyshoota
06-18-2006, 09:41 PM
Back to the subject since we went way of course. Yes, quality means nothing in an unskilled person's hands, but I give the benefit of the doubt and assume he can take care of a marker. In that case he should have no problem with the marker as long as it isn't of lesser quality and breaks down out of his control. I've seen some cruddy pumps at the field, and no they weren't Brass Eagles. The thing is, I don't know which ones they were. Someone bigger into pumps would know that. I've had experience with Mavericks/Trracers and Phantoms. Beyond that I know little. Which is why I only share what I know. If indeed he has no idea how to take care of a marker, you're right, quality won't mean jack.

Edit: Dunkel, head on down the Pump Forums on here, and ask this question, you might find more answers.

druid
06-18-2006, 09:52 PM
w/e. Deleted all my posts in this thread. I'll be sending you a PM/AIM so we stop polluting the thread.

xNinja-Dolphinx
06-19-2006, 06:28 AM
thanks druid.

bigred76
06-21-2006, 11:49 AM
Just found this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7139931248&category=47232) on eBay and thought of this thread and you. :)

oldnewb
06-22-2006, 08:43 AM
Heh, I find it odd that no one has mentioned the new pump-action propane-powered Tippman. It's one of the few pumps you can buy brand new with a warrenty, and it's likely to become a landmark in paintball history in years to come. Plus, according to reports, you get quite a few more shots from your standard cheapass portable propane tank that you can get at any camping section of any major store.

Of course, it's a Tippman, and we all know Spyder and Tippy players don't really get along ;)

vikingshadow
06-22-2006, 09:07 AM
I don't think the Tippman/Spyder war has much to do with that. I just think that for some reason, the propane thing isn't taking off as expected. Hardly anyone uses the gun, dispite the good reviews on it. Personally, I think it's because it's an ugly gun on top of being a pump marker which is the reason most don't even think about it. I could be wrong though...

QAZ123
06-22-2006, 09:23 AM
It's a hunk of plastic.
Pump stroke is comparable to the BE Blade.
Barrel is horrible and can't be switched out.
Too bulky.

Nobody that I know of own's one but I tinkered with one and I give it a thumb's down.

If Tippmann brought back the SL68 I'd be all over it though.

JB.

xNinja-Dolphinx
06-22-2006, 01:10 PM
Another question QAZ, would it be worth it to save for a phantom or sniper two? or is there just not that much performance difference?

QAZ123
06-22-2006, 02:29 PM
You can get a right feed body sniper 2 nowaday's pretty cheap under $150 sometimes.

Phantom if you get a back bottle setup are pretty inexpensive I've seen that style sell for $120 before.

I'll look around and see if I can find you a steal of a deal somewhere if your wanting to look into one of those two.

JB.

xNinja-Dolphinx
06-22-2006, 05:32 PM
But is the performance difference between a phantom and say a traccer worth the 70-100 dollars?

QAZ123
06-22-2006, 05:59 PM
With the traccer being an older product and hard to find part's the phantom is a better bang for the buck since you can buy complete rebuild kit's for them. Although I never had problem's with any of my traccer's.

Chem X is selling a rf sniper 2 for one of his buddies for like $150 which is a pretty decent deal.

JB.

claustrophobia9
06-22-2006, 06:02 PM
id have a phantom if i could get one for 100 bucks

xNinja-Dolphinx
06-22-2006, 06:06 PM
id have a phantom if i could get one for 100 bucks
I found one on the Nation for $125, pretty much bare bones but a phantom nonetheless. And well I had to spend my money on some other things recently so hopefully I will have my new job next week and can buy one then. thanks for the help QAZ