PDA

View Full Version : Do you know a little about everything?

vikingshadow
06-18-2006, 08:46 AM
Try this quiz out....NO CHEATING! Don't look them up on the internet and then come across all smart and stuff...that's like cheating in practice!

These are not trick questions. They are straight questions with straight answers.

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?

3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?

4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?

6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters "dw" and
they are all common words. Name two of them.

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at least half of them?

8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.

9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter "S."

Answers to come later!

marvin-martian
06-18-2006, 08:48 AM
#4 - strawberry

#7 - period, comma, colon, semi colon, exclamation point, question mark, parenthesis(sp), quotation mark, hyphen

timmyshoota
06-18-2006, 08:54 AM
1. Boxing?
2. Mississippi River?
3. I think one is corn, I dunno the other, maybe tomatos?
4. Strawberry
5. It comes in a mason jar bigger than the pear?
6. dwell, dwindle, dwarf
7. Period, comma, question mark, exclamation point, colon, semi-colon, elipses, quotation mark, parentheses
8. Celery?
9. Socks, Shoes, Sandals, Skates, Slippers, Stockings

Yes, I edited it, but only because I either changed my answer from thinking about it, I didn't look any of these up.

Hossy
06-18-2006, 09:10 AM
i knowevery answer but the number 8 one, but like timmy said, id think it wouldbe celery

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Public School Education!! woo hoo

timmyshoota
06-18-2006, 09:28 AM
I actually think I'm wrong on that one after further thought, but I'm gonna stick with that and wait to see the right answer.

03TiburonGT
06-18-2006, 09:31 AM
1. Boxing
2. Grand Canyon??? I have no idea
3. ?? ??
4. Strawberries
5. Bottleneck is large enough to fit a pear inside OR When the pears are small, they put them inside the bottle with the vine still attached and wait until it is mature to cut it from the vine.
6. Dwarf, Dwell
7. ,!.?;:/-"()
8. Celery maybe?
9. Sandals, Sneakers, Shoes, Socks, Slippers, Snowshoes

marvin-martian
06-18-2006, 09:35 AM
#6 - dwarf, dwell, dwindle

claustrophobia9
06-18-2006, 09:36 AM
1. soccer.... o wait... no thats just cuz i dont watch it.
2. none, backwards is a perspective directional adjective, you havent said anything to compare it to, therefore nothing can be found.
3.potatoes.... and tomatoes... no idea.
4. strawberry
5. dehydrate the fruit, put it in the bottle, let it rehydrate
6.dwarf and dwindle
7. hyphen, period, coma, semicolon, exclamation mark, question mark, aphostrophy, quotation marks, colon, parenthesis, is that enough?
8. celery, which is also a food that takes more calories to eat than it gives you
9. shoe, sock, sandal, something, sand, soup, shellfish...

Hossy
06-18-2006, 10:24 AM
number 8 can be
Celery, Watermelon, and canalope(sp?)

idk anyonethought of those?

vikingshadow
06-18-2006, 10:36 AM
LOL! Nice try fellows - most of you got most of them right...here are the answers...Some sort of OVER thought the question, but - yeah!

1. The one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends . . boxing

2. North American landmark constantly moving backward . . Niagara Falls(The rim is worn down about two and a half feet each year because of the millions of gallons of water that rush over it every minute.)

3. Only two vegetables that can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons . . asparagus and rhubarb.

4. The fruit with its seeds on the outside . .strawberry.

5. How did the pear get inside the brandy bottle? It grew inside the bottle. (The bottles are placed over pear buds when they are small, and are wired in place on the tree. The bottle is left in place for the entire growing season. When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.)

6. Three English words beginning with dw... dwarf, dwell and dwindle.

7. Fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar . . .period, comma, colon, semicolon, dash, hyphen, apostrophe, question mark, exclamation point, quotation marks, brackets, parenthesis, braces, and ellipses.

8. The only vegetable or fruit never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form but fresh . lettuce.

9. Six or more things you can wear on your feet beginning with "s" ... .shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, skates, snowshoes, stockings, stilts.

timmyshoota
06-18-2006, 11:00 AM
5 out of 9 right, not too bad. I'm not great with my knowledge of fruits and vegetables, but I know how to eat them. :up:

claustrophobia9
06-18-2006, 11:10 AM
they grow it in the bottle? how inpractical...

thechubbss12
06-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Bahh i like Claus's ideas better of dehydrating.... seemed more intresting LOL....

I couldnt have guess alot of that... especialy not Niagrafalls...

marvin-martian
06-18-2006, 11:55 AM
chubs, where are you in the hunt? im tired of only playing against tibs.

timmyshoota
06-18-2006, 11:57 AM
they grow it in the bottle? how inpractical...
search pear brandy on google and click the second link. They have pictures of it and talk about it.

claustrophobia9
06-18-2006, 11:59 AM
chubs, where are you in the hunt? im tired of only playing against tibs.seriously, tibs is carring your team with 11 points

vikingshadow
06-18-2006, 04:49 PM
I actually knew quite a few of these, but only from previous worthless trivia info I've received. I really liked the pear in the brandy bottle thing though. I'd seen pictures of that before and thought of the effort it took to put those bottles on, one by one, over each of those blossoms...

Funny things I missed were the dw one (couldn't come up with a single word - embarassing for a writing teacher!), number 3 about the veggies, and boxing - but then I never cared much for boxing...

Who said the internet is just wasting my time?! LOL!

claustrophobia9
06-18-2006, 07:11 PM
internet lol!

#whatever: what bug/animal can sleep for 3 years

03TiburonGT
06-18-2006, 07:20 PM
#whatever: what bug/animal can sleep for 3 years

Humans, but thats called a coma.

MatthewTheTheif
06-18-2006, 07:25 PM
1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.
-golf

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?
-mount rushmore (erosion)

3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?
-potatoes and carrots?

4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?
-strawberry

5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?

-grown in the bottle

6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters "dw" and
they are all common words. Name two of them.
-dwindle, ...?

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at least half of them?
-hyphen, period, semicolon, colon, comma, apostrophe, quotation mark, question mark, parenthesis

8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.
-avocado?

9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter "S."
-shoes, socks, sandals, sweatsocks, sneakers, stilettos (girls i hope), slippers