PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get off today :)

xtraking
06-14-2006, 05:19 AM
Okay guys, i got a party to go to at 7, and i have to work today from 5-11ish. Last night i was by myself and only made 12 bucks. Today there is only two rservations and there will be 2 bus boys today. So what i need to do is find someway to take off today or ask to be cut. What are your suggestions while talking to the boss? I dont want to sound like a complaining *****y person but i mean im working 4 days this week when i only asked for 3 this whoel summer a week, and i have a big party saturday to work at. I will not make any money, and wednesdays are always slower then tuesdays. So what should i say?

I was thinking:
hey mark this is david hopp. yesterday they said there were only 2 reservations for today not sure if it has changed, but i was wondering do you think you will still need me along with another bus boy?
And then go from there.

And i cant call in sick so thats ruled out

Edit: Yeah i asked on pbn too thats hwo desperate i am haha

Dave

vikingshadow
06-14-2006, 05:52 AM
Only thing I would suggest is to talk to him like you said. See if your boss will allow you to take the day off. Or ask if you can switch days with another person.

However, that being said, since you're scheduled to work, I'd say skip the party and go to work, even if you only make 12 bucks. In my mind, you went to this person to ask for work, he/she GAVE you the job and obviously you're decent at it or you'd only be getting the 3 days you asked for (or less) instead of 4, so in my mind you're obligated to work when you're scheduled. Your boss is counting on you to be there, no matter how slow, and if you ditch it for a party, then that doesn't look too good on you. If you're up front and honest about it to your boss, he may or may not let you off, but then again, that's his call!

Sorry it's not the answer you're looking for, but I see too many kids these days around my town (and others) just not willing to work when they're scheduled. They think their bosses should be there for them, not the other way around. I'm not saying you're this way, but I see it around here A LOT!

xtraking
06-14-2006, 05:56 AM
Thanks vike, i dont want to sound like a whiney immature kid though. I worked 6 days last week for some odd reason and he scheduled me for a day that i had planned for something in awhile. But i just dotn want to have my parents drive me there (im onyl 15 still) then i get cut, and have my parents drive all the way there again. If you see what i mean.

Dave

bamf-hacker
06-14-2006, 05:58 AM
I think what you suggested to say to your boss is perfect. But remember, that is not getting you off of work 100%. He can say sorry we do need you.

And I agree with Vike, just work the shift, the party's will always be there, but if you have a strong business ethic you will go far.

plus 12 bucks gets you a bag of paint and air :)

HacKeR

Hossy
06-14-2006, 06:02 AM
And I agree with Vike, just work the shift, the party's will always be there, but if you have a strong business ethic you will go far.

QFT

kinda funny, i have a party tonight at 7 too
lol

vikingshadow
06-14-2006, 06:12 AM
What kind of party happens at 7:00??? ;)

I understand what you're saying, and honestly, you wanting to speak to your boss is a VERY good idea - you don't have to tell him why you want off - in fact, I recommend you DON'T tell him why, just that you would like to have the day off - or even schedule you earlier in the day so you can work a little bit. Just make sure to do it really early in the day so he can find someone to replace you in time.

But, on the chance he says no, make sure you show up and pretend that it's ok, even though inside you're hacked off. It'll show a lot of maturity and the NEXT time you want off, he'll remember how you acted and that will go a LONG way for you.

I also understand about the parent's driving you thing being a parent myself...the only issue I think you're going to run into is that you want off TODAY. He may have problems getting someone to replace you at so late a time. But try it! Worse he can say is no - or you're fired, but that shouldn't happen!

claustrophobia9
06-14-2006, 06:12 AM
if you use an exuse make it something akward to ask questions about. like you broke a finger in an orgy or something. always use the phone or if possible email, so it is harder to read whether you are lying or not.

thats not the greatest idea so i provided more:

i have a boss who schedules me like 5 days a week for 8 hours each, and NEVER gives me the days off that i want, this week i got monday and tuesday. and my paintball field is only open weekends, so im asking for saturdays from now on. bad scheduling happens. tell him you cant work it, thats what i would do. and then i would work hard without complaints the rest of the week. vike may be right, good ethic or w/e, but the fact is life doesnt last forever, and i dont think when you die you are going to wish you made 20 more bucks and didnt hang out with friends.

vikingshadow
06-14-2006, 06:33 AM
if you use an exuse make it something akward to ask questions about. like you broke a finger in an orgy or something. always use the phone or if possible email, so it is harder to read whether you are lying or not.

thats not the greatest idea so i provided more:

i have a boss who schedules me like 5 days a week for 8 hours each, and NEVER gives me the days off that i want, this week i got monday and tuesday. and my paintball field is only open weekends, so im asking for saturdays from now on. bad scheduling happens. tell him you cant work it, thats what i would do. and then i would work hard without complaints the rest of the week. vike may be right, good ethic or w/e, but the fact is life doesnt last forever, and i dont think when you die you are going to wish you made 20 more bucks and didnt hang out with friends.

Even though he said this isn't the best idea, I have to say DO NOT USE EMAIL - your boss may not read it and to me it's the most cowardly way to do something - call him or do it face to face, period...also, there's no need to lie, just ask for the day off - if he asks, just say you made some plans and would like the day off! Remember, you're dealing with a busy adult, not a kid with nothing to do all day but look at email. You need to be adult yourself...

Yes, bad scheduling happens and no one likes it when it does. Yet, I have to say, Claus, I'm a bit disappointed in that attitude. When you take a job, you make an obligation to someone else that you will be there when that person needs you, not whenever you feel like it and that person will pay you to work. It's a horrible inconvenience for that person to try and find someone last minute to replace you, especially when you aren't sick or something that is out of your hands happens. That's not to say you can't try to reschedule things, but do it maturely, not "life happens, get over it!"

But you know what? You're 15 - so what if you miss a party? Will there not be more? I guarantee that you won't be on your deathbed saying, "I wish I had gone to that one party when I was 15." However, if you get into this habit of saying "Life's short" and you take every excuse you can to do what YOU want to do, you probably won't have a job to ditch and you will for several years wish you hadn't! Sure, life doesn't last forever, and you won't die wishing for that extra 20 bucks, but come on - you won't die wishing you went to a party either! Your work ethics will follow you for a VERY long time. Employers talk - believe you me, they do. I won't bore you with the story, but I have a couple of examples of this!

Oh, and don't make it sound like you're going to die next year....you may, but chances are you'll live a LONG time. That's just life. I've got several years behind me and several in front of me and even if I regretted it at the time it happened, I certainly don't regret missing anything now - work or party.

Xtraking - it sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and it sounds like you know what you have to do. That's impressive! Now, you just have to do it.

vikingshadow
06-14-2006, 06:40 AM
Oh, before I get the "holier than thou" thing going, don't worry! I was 15 once as well! And 16, 17, 18, 19 and so on....there were days I wanted to skip work, and did - but I really didn't have fun on those days. Back then, we worried about the boss seeing us out and about whenever we called in, so basically a day off was a day inside at home. In college, I can't say I skipped for a party - mainly because the party was either still going on, or rescheduled around the working stiffs, but there were days. (See above the reference to examples I have...:rolleyes: )

Unfortunately, my jobs from the time I was 12 up to 19 were working on the farm or at the school with my dad, so I didn't catch much of a break. It's easy for me to say what I'm saying, because I have a great job now, with days off and so on. What it all boils down to is, how will you feel about it? What do you think you should do? Don't let a 40 year old working stiff with summers off :D or another teenager, or anyone in-between, tell you what you feel should do.

Hossy
06-14-2006, 06:43 AM
Vikes Correct....DO NOT E-MAIL

there are so many things that can go wrong with e-mailing people, but if u call either you can leave a message, or you get the guy, and if its a message machine response, so what? if its his cell phone he probably has an alarm for missed calls like a beep or something, or a red light, which he can easily get back to you

Dont lie either...with one lie, you have to back it up with another lie, which then u have to back up that lie with another, and it goes on and on and on when finally someone knows that ur lieing you get caught.

funny story thats like what ur going through now..A friend of mine was going to a party at a girls house, but he really didnt know the girl. The girl turned out to be the owner of the bowling alley where the kid was supposed to work that night, but he said something like his mom was outa town and they needed help with the family...he shows up at the party and the dad was just leaving to do the work that the kid was supposed to do at the bowling alley

lol kinda funny, so dont lie, and vikes right its not the end of the world..if u make 20 bucks go buy urself an icecream and some paint air, or whatever else u want...if u go to the party enjoy yourself there

claustrophobia9
06-14-2006, 06:52 AM
Ethics vary from person to person, you can't simply define everyone as either good ethics or bad ethics, its a very enigmatic area, where different things are sought by different people. Honestly i think you should go to work if you know you wont think about the party, if not, you should go, and not risk showing yourself in a state where your mind is away from work. Alot of the problem with who you ask for advice is mixed emotions, and emotions aren't cut away facts. Emotions are deceptions of the mind that are designed to lead you astray. They aren't bad unless you let them take control. Do you think clowns are going to kill you? no. then why do people fear clowns? they've let their emotions get in the way of logical step by step thinking. Emotions can be good if you can control them. If you want to know whether you should skip work or not, forget about the party and your friends for a second and look down the road at what you believe possible outcomes could be. Try to come up with a risk assessment to see how risky it is to ask your boss for the night off, try to see how you boss might interpret that. does he/she think you are lazy? or does he/she understand where you are in your life and know the small decisions like this that you make between work and friends? now take that risk, and compare it to the likelyhood that you will see your friends again. (sounds stupid but do it). is seeing your friends tonight worth the risk? in alot of aspects your emotion does this for you. fear is your built in risk assessment, but the problem is that you may be completely rational, and your fears may be completely irrational. release your fears, and rationalize the world. personally im saying go to work.

hossy. you dont honestly believe that a good lie needs to be backed up with another do you? a good lie, nobody asks questions, and its gone in a week, my example was a bad lie, a good lie isn't a sick lie either, a good lie is the lie that partains to real life. where every question that is asked to people, even those not let in on the lie will answer the same, and your friend is dumb for making that kind of mistake, no offense.

Hossy
06-14-2006, 06:57 AM
i dont wanna sound like im against the world or anything, but also, like claus said, your gonna see your friends tomorrow, the next day, and so forth...and also what the heck, if you miss out on anything it doesnt really matter. When you graduate are all your friends gonna say..Oh he wasnt at "Pauls" (<--enter name) party when we were freshman? or none of your friends are gonna be like backstabbing you for not going to the party, or even say that they wont talk to you if u arent there..do whatever you want but id take 20 bucks over my party tonight..

claustrophobia9
06-14-2006, 07:02 AM
i will tell you, i'm saying you should go, because rationally thats what i would do, but i like to gamble, especailly when the house doesnt always win... if you are good, you know a limit, and you push it, then when you get close you back off. these may sound like the best "ethics". but when you live it, its alot differnt than it sounds. and dont allow this post to interefere with what ive said before, go to work. if you use this as your excuse, then you have given in to desire, a desire to have what i have, this useless ability to do what i want. but the fact is, its alot easier to get what you want, when you want nothing.

i know right here i sound like a hypocrit, and i am, but to be honest, one of the wisest things you can do is listen to a hypocrit, because they've been where you are going, and they are proof that the action can be self harming as well as addictive, why people don't listen to hypocrits is beyond me.

bigred76
06-14-2006, 10:29 AM
Um, I might just be lazy this morning, but I don't want to read all of that up there! IMO, go with what Vike said. He's the older gentleman in this thread and has been there, done that (I'd hope). If the party's worth that much to you, then you seriously need to step back and look at it. One night of partying, or a job that at least gives you enough for two meals at McDonalds (Dollar Menu FTW!). In the end, though, it is your decision to make, so make it wisely. :)

xtraking
06-14-2006, 10:43 AM
i got off :) the boss was like yeah man its going to be dead today so dont bother. Yayy haha

Hossy
06-14-2006, 10:47 AM
nice now have fun at the party

bamf-hacker
06-14-2006, 10:52 AM
i got off :) the boss was like yeah man its going to be dead today so dont bother. Yayy haha

Nice you SLACKER :)

J/K

Enjoy the party.

HacKeR

claustrophobia9
06-14-2006, 06:24 PM
fine, no1 read my hard worked philisophical mumbo jumbo